Football vs. American "Football"?

• Thread starter OZZYGT
  • 241 comments

Which is better?

• Total voters
The rest of the guys on offense are lineman or a center, and they don't so much move around as wrestle and tackle the other players as needed.

Which is alot more exhausting than it looks. It's also alot of responsibility. If a teammate screws up, you're expected to fix where he screwed up and keep going. If you don't, and an offensive lineman gets leveled, then you put all your backs at risk of loss of yardage.

originally posted by Pupik
Except he (Jerome Bettis) is retired, and I'm not. I'm obviously a harder worker.
6'1'' and 232 pounds also probably faster than most people here and he's not retired(yet).

spa05dmccalister.gif

I think I'm starting to like rugby. What with them doing the dance or whatever its called in unison with eachother?

I voted they were both awesome. I have no clue why american football is called football...The ball gets kicked an average of 15 times a game?? If that?

Anyways, I like college football, not so much NFL.

I like World Cup football also. Its about the only time its on tv here in the states, occasionally I catch MLS games, but those are boring as hell.

You can't just insert a soccer player into an NFL game. They're not strong enough or, gasp, fast enough to survive. They're not trained for it. Likewise, an NFL player, no matter how fit, would not do well in a soccer game. They're not trained for it, either.

It's ludicrous to judge either sport on the size or speed of its players. The objectives of each game are different, and so the players develop their skills and bodies accordingly.

Nail on the head there man, the sports are indeed completely different. It is very hard indeed for either side to convince one another that either is "better" than the other simply because they appeal to completely different people often with completely different backgrounds.

Americans (for the most part) live, breathe, and die football from the time they are born until the time they die (I assume the same for soccer fans across the pond). I see babies being rolled around all dressed up in Detroit Lions gear all the time (no matter how much our team sucks), same goes for so many college teams (Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State take the cake around here), and even some high-schools (Forest Hills Central, Rockford, and East Grand Rapids are popular here).

...We are trained to play football throughout school, and teams are formed as early as 5th or 6th grades, and often times, those players go on to become the Tom Bradys and Tiki Barbers of the world. It isn't that we don't like soccer (I played it quite a lot as a child, and have recently gotten back into it), it just isn't a part of the collective sporting landscape of the country as football or baseball is.

IMO, I have a harder time playing football as compared to soccer for a few different reasons. First is that I really am not good at catching many things. Secondly, once hike is called, plays can become increasingly hectic, and nearly seems like "every man for himself" until points can be scored. Normally I am cast either as a running back or a offensive lineman (occasionally a corner back, but that is a rare occurance) if I play, simply because of my size (little over 6ft, 160-ish lbs) and speed. When hike is called, I may over-persue the man in possession of the ball, not move fast enough for a carry, etc... My reaction times are often just a bit "off" compared to the rest of the football-playing crowd.

Soccer comes a bit easier overall, however my playing style is a bit more slow and relaxed compared to most players. What I do like about soccer is the "open" feeling to the field, as it allows for a better view of who is doing what, and where I may need to go to get the job done.

Duċk;2534429
jerome_bettis_041105.jpg

Eat your words. He's 5'11'', 255 pounds, and probably faster than most people here.

Orlando Pace is 325 pounds and would leave Jerome in the dust. 40 yards in 4.6 seconds.

MachỎne;2534505
Which is alot more exhausting than it looks. It's also alot of responsibility. If a teammate screws up, you're expected to fix where he screwed up and keep going. If you don't, and an offensive lineman gets leveled, then you put all your backs at risk of loss of yardage.

The offensive lineman are expected to block their man (tough job as it is). The real good offensive lineman, upon successfully blocking their first man, will engage and block a second man, should the play develop as planned. Tis hard work, this professional sports thing.

What it really boils down to is that NFL football is more of a fan's sport, and Soccer football is more the sportsman's sport. The big fatassed lazy guys go to football games to watch people get hit and to watch team A literally break through team B. They don't care how a ball goes into a net or how world footballers are as skilled as they are because they can't relate to what goes into the sport. NFL football, however, is always familiar because it appeals to primal violence or "war" in the form of tackling, blocking, and rushing, but it also has the "scoring" element in the form of touchdowns, free kicks, and passing the ball into a defended location (the reciever's hands).

I like both, but I like Soccer better because it's constant and less confusing to play (NFL football is super super confusing when you play on a real team against an organized defense). I also prefer to play soccer because you don't have 50 pounds of pads on your body. There's also the fact that you don't have to deal with a group of people exclusively comprised of moronic meatheads when playing at a non-professional level.

football and football > rugby and AFL

Both games called football have a point and aren't ludicrously dangerous. We like our players to be on the field next weekend, not just next season. Even through the pads our guys still break stuff every now and then.

I really don't care about none of them.
That's what I said before but if I have to choose, I would rather watch American football than soccer. It's more spectacular to watch than soccer. I'm European and I don't like to watch soccer. :yuck:

I think I'm starting to like rugby. What with them doing the dance or whatever its called in unison with eachother?
That would be the all blacks, they do the dance to intimidate opposing teams, or that was the original reason. It's more of a tradition for them now, though the all blacks are still on of the best teams in the world.

football> football fans >american football> american foot ball fans> bacteria

football and football > rugby and AFL

Both games called football have a point and aren't ludicrously dangerous. We like our players to be on the field next weekend, not just next season. Even through the pads our guys still break stuff every now and then.

Of course, you know why your guys have all the pads, don't you? Escalation...

As L4S mentions, that's the "Haka" of the All-Blacks. It was, formerly, a war-dance performed by Maori warriors, but was adopted by Kiwi sports teams. It's basically a chant of "You're going to get your 🤬 heads kicked in".

There's a few variations on the Haka, but one is used more than others - the "Ka Mate" Haka.

And other nations have Hakas too - Samoa, for one.

American football has always been a blue-collar sport. The sport of the lower class workers, the manual labor and the greasy auto workers... it's the sport which represents that for the most part you don't need big brains to be a great player... that's why it's the most popular spectator sport in the US and why so many people like it.

Now, why are the Super Bowl winners World Champions?

Well, If you're talking about middle-poor class expectators, take a look at Brazil. They are a big country, but they're economy is not so good. Heck, even third world countries have soccer as their primary sport. I've seen kids playing with an empty crushed can of soda on a dusty field.

If you think it doesn't take a wise mind to understand and play football, it requires less intelligence to figure out how to kick a ball into a net. ;)

ЯebЯum!;2534882
American football has always been a blue-collar sport. The sport of the lower class workers, the manual labor and the greasy auto workers... it's the sport which represents that for the most part you don't need big brains to be a great player... that's why it's the most popular spectator sport in the US and why so many people like it.

Now, why are the Super Bowl winners World Champions?

Now, I'm not a fan of NFL, but I'll defend the sport here, as I know that to play this game you need to memorise 1000+ plays. Also in College football students cannot play unless they're getting good grades, I'm pretty sure the grades have to be pretty high too.
Lucky I payed attention during a particular lesson in P.E.:sly:

Yeah, but sometimes the grades can be fixed to ensure the player doesn't get taken out of the team. I'm not saying that happens everywhere, but it's been known to happen. If the star player doesn't get good grades, it's been known that coaches and/or sports representatives doctor the grades. But that's a completely different subject.

Some colleges don't require the student to have good grades to be able to play sports, they do however require the players to take a minumum credits per semester.

Ozzy, I'm not saying smarter people play soccer vs. dumber people playing football. But American football has always been the blue-collar sport, while baseball (and to a lesser extent, hockey) is the white-collared one.

ЯebЯum!;2534914
Ozzy, I'm not saying smarter people play soccer vs. dumber people playing football.

And if you saw some of the gibbering retards who count themselves as professional footballers in the UK, you'd never even think that... :D

:D

Drogba's admittance of cheating then denying it within the same interview proved that.

I'd say Cricket tends to be a 'clever sport' if there is such a thing.

Back