Formula 1 crypto.com (ugh, really?) Miami Grand Prix 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 360 comments
I like it so far. I think they did a nice job of this being a parking lot track on paper when it was announced to giving it a nice identity.
Hard-Rock-Stadium-aerial.jpg

miami-gardens-fl-usa-3rd-may-2022-aerial-view-on-f1-circuit-and-hard-rock-stadium-almost-ready-for-formula-1-cryptocom-miami-grand-prix-weekend-on-may-6-8-2022-miami-will-become-the-11th-venue-in-the-united-states-to-host-a-world-championship-f1-race-credit-yaroslav-sabitovyes-market-mediaalamy-live-news-2J6RKJN.jpg

Last edited:
I love how he crashed into a Red Bull sponsored section of the wall, talk about adding insult to injury. :lol:

Edit: Verstappen having issues now.

Last edited:
There's a lot of hype about this race and while I'm not trying to buy too much into it....I'd say of the result of FP2 are anything to go by, we could have a 3 or 4 way fight on our hands with Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes...Alpine and McLaren might get int there too....at least that what I'm hoping for anyway.

It’s shaping up to be a race of attrition - between mistakes, crashes and reliability there’s going to be a survival element to finishing well.

Race directors are cracking down on jewellery, so Hamilton shows up for a press conference wearing... all of his:

1651924557550.png

Race directors are also cracking down on FIA-compliant underwear, so Vettel shows up for free practice... like this:

1651924657348.png

This is just the FIA swinging their dick around after being criticized for not following the rules to a T for many years. Lewis has 2 races to sort out his jewellery 🙄

Last edited:
This is just the FIA swinging their dick around
They need to mandate better underwear then... :D
Lewis has 2 races to sort out his jewellery 🙄
Honestly, I find his complaint pretty dim.

Drivers are wrapped up in padding and cocooned to prevent the outside world from causing them injury as much as possible, and he sticks sharp metal things into and onto himself to ensure that any impact will either compromise the safety gear, or bits of his body near the sharp metal things, or both - and also they're great at conducting heat, so if his fire gear is breached (by the sharp metal thing) it's a one-way trip to burns emanating from the inside out.

He says he can't remove one of the piercings by himself. Well, you've got two personal assistants orbiting you at all times... and I'm pretty sure Miami is not exactly starved for tatt & piercing shops.

It's quite amusing that Williams are asking the FIA for dispensation to remove a few more grams of paint and stickers from their cars, and Hamilton be all like...

1651931363862.png

Last edited:
They need to mandate better underwear then... :D

Honestly, I find his complaint pretty dim.

Drivers are wrapped up in padding and cocooned to prevent the outside world from causing them injury as much as possible, and he sticks sharp metal things into and onto himself to ensure that any impact will either compromise the safety gear, or bits of his body near the sharp metal things, or both - and also they're great at conducting heat, so if his fire gear is breached (by the sharp metal thing) it's a one-way trip to burns emanating from the inside out.

He says he can't remove one of the piercings by himself. Well, you've got two personal assistants orbiting you at all times... and I'm pretty sure Miami is not exactly starved for tatt & piercing shops.
I believe 2 of the piercings have to be removed surgically. I know his nose piercing is at least one. He says another piercing is of a different material and never been an issue for him in other times he would normally need to remove jewelry (I believe he might have said an MRI?). He does have a point that he’s had jewelry in the sport for a long time and it hasn’t been an issue, & said he’d sign a waiver taking full responsibility for himself.

I know Gasly chipped in saying he has a religious piece he wears in the car as well & Seb has said he believes Lewis is being targeted.

IMO, just grandfather Lewis in & let him go. He has had jewelry for several years and he probably only has 2-3 seasons left at most anyway.
Leclerc always wears a watch, I’m surprised the team lets him do that.
I believe he was wears a ring as well. I’ve read a couple drivers keep their weddings rings on.

Last edited:
I believe 2 of the piercings have to be removed surgically
Well quite, but they're the kind of surgery you have in a tatt & piercing shop.
He says another piercing is of a different material and never been an issue for him in other times he would normally need to remove jewelry (I believe he might have said an MRI?).
Yep, and this is irrelevant bollockry on his behalf.

The concern with an MRI is whether the magnet will attempt to rip things out of your body (and "attempt to" is superfluous there; if it's ferromagnetic it is going into the magnet regardless of how much flesh is in the way) or cause dysfunction through an induced electrical current. An inert platinum object won't do that...

... but that's not the concern with being in a high-speed car crash. The concern there is whether a chunk of metal will cause direct impact injury or magnify the potential for injury in case of fire.

If he's got a lump of platinum in his nose (which means it's in his head, close to his skull), then there is a very valid reason to be concerned that an unexpected head impact with considerable force might cause significant additional injury - it could range from facial fractures to eye injuries, to brain damage and death - that would turn a collision with survivable forces into one that is not.

Fire damage is basically energy damage; you treat it by dousing it with cold water for several minutes so the water absorbs the energy from the skin to prevent cell damage and drains away to be replaced with fresh, new cold water. A chunk of metal will be more effective at absorbing heat energy (even when it's already at body temperature), drawing the energy further into the body rather than out and away, until it reaches a point where it is causing burn damage to the tissue around it. You'll probably want it to be surgically removed at that point :lol:

He does have a point that he’s had jewelry in the sport for a long time and it hasn’t been an issue
Not really. There's been a lot of things that were fine in the sport for a long time until they weren't - such as the culture of not lifting through waved yellows (which killed Jules Bianchi) - and this is probably something that should have been addressed before now.

The fact they're doing so now, and so sharply, does make them look like a bunch of idiots trying to enforce a dress code - like a new management team at a **** school cracking down on school uniform and making sure the girls aren't wearing too-short skirts - but there are real safety concerns here.

Last edited:
The fact they're doing so now, and so sharply, does make them look like a bunch of idiots trying to enforce a dress code - like a new management team at a **** school cracking down on school uniform and making sure the girls aren't wearing too-short skirts - but there are real safety concerns here.
Real quick, what's your thoughts on them calling this a safety issue, but atm & tmu, rings are still allowed? Wouldn't that throw a curve in their desire for safety if they are exempt?

I know Magnussen was cited in the link above, but I've read even Grosjean has said he would not like to race without his wedding ring even after what he went through.

Real quick, what's your thoughts on them calling this a safety issue, but atm & tmu, rings are still allowed? Wouldn't that throw a curve in their desire for safety if they are exempt?

I know Magnussen was cited in the link above, but I've read even Grosjean has said he would not like to race without his wedding ring even after what he went through.
Rings should 100% not be allowed. Unless made of a brittle material, they're a severe amputation risk in case of hand injury - gold wedding rings are awful for it, as are titanium ones. Tungsten should be okay, although they shatter so possible shrapnel.

And of course all also confer a higher risk of skin damage in fire. Grosjean probably knows that better than anyone :lol:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but this jewellery thing isn't even a new rule is it? It's always been there, just never properly enforced/publicly enforced.

Lot's of mistakes still being made in practice, think Quali is going to be equally eventful. Good to see a track that punishes mistakes.

This is the kind of circuit ground effect cars hate. God help them at Monaco.

Back