Formula 1 crypto.com (ugh, really?) Miami Grand Prix 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 360 comments
Race directors are cracking down on jewellery, so Hamilton shows up for a press conference wearing... all of his:

View attachment 1147434

Race directors are also cracking down on FIA-compliant underwear, so Vettel shows up for free practice... like this:

View attachment 1147436
I meant to post these yesterday. These men are operating at a level of pettiness I could only dream of. :lol:

KMag and Zhou out of Q1. Bottas just skirts into Q2. Seems like a weak track for the Alfas this weekend.

Edit: What the heck happened to Danny Ric's time in the last sector? :odd:

Last edited:
FB_IMG_1651958842258.jpg

Here are the updated qualifying averages:

Leclerc +0.006
Verstappen +0.218
Perez +0.246
Sainz +0.280
Russell +0.985
Bottas +1.012
Alonso +1.055
Ocon +1.095
Gasly +1.096
Hamilton +1.105
Norris +1.172
Tsunoda +1.628
Ricciardo +1.659
Magnussen +1.703
Schumacher +1.756
Zhou +1.880
Stroll +1.910
Albon +2.284
Vettel +2.349
Latifi +3.181

Vettel with a helmet statement on the Miami GP in 2060 being Under Water.

I didn't follow Latifi in his earlier career - is he legit, or is he just money? It's tough for anyone to look good in a modern Williams, but as a non-biased dude...he does seem pretty lack lustre.

Well quite, but they're the kind of surgery you have in a tatt & piercing shop.

Yep, and this is irrelevant bollockry on his behalf.

The concern with an MRI is whether the magnet will attempt to rip things out of your body (and "attempt to" is superfluous there; if it's ferromagnetic it is going into the magnet regardless of how much flesh is in the way) or cause dysfunction through an induced electrical current. An inert platinum object won't do that...

... but that's not the concern with being in a high-speed car crash. The concern there is whether a chunk of metal will cause direct impact injury or magnify the potential for injury in case of fire.

If he's got a lump of platinum in his nose (which means it's in his head, close to his skull), then there is a very valid reason to be concerned that an unexpected head impact with considerable force might cause significant additional injury - it could range from facial fractures to eye injuries, to brain damage and death - that would turn a collision with survivable forces into one that is not.

Fire damage is basically energy damage; you treat it by dousing it with cold water for several minutes so the water absorbs the energy from the skin to prevent cell damage and drains away to be replaced with fresh, new cold water. A chunk of metal will be more effective at absorbing heat energy (even when it's already at body temperature), drawing the energy further into the body rather than out and away, until it reaches a point where it is causing burn damage to the tissue around it. You'll probably want it to be surgically removed at that point :lol:

Not really. There's been a lot of things that were fine in the sport for a long time until they weren't - such as the culture of not lifting through waved yellows (which killed Jules Bianchi) - and this is probably something that should have been addressed before now.

The fact they're doing so now, and so sharply, does make them look like a bunch of idiots trying to enforce a dress code - like a new management team at a **** school cracking down on school uniform and making sure the girls aren't wearing too-short skirts - but there are real safety concerns here.
Also have to add that for all the talk from the FIA that this is all for safety, you have both Sainz and Ocon taking bad hits (Ocon's was 51G's!) at a spot where they won't put up a safety barrier.

I didn't follow Latifi in his earlier career - is he legit, or is he just money? It's tough for anyone to look good in a modern Williams, but as a non-biased dude...he does seem pretty lack lustre.
Money. He competed in F2 for 4.5 seasons, and the best he could do was a distant 2nd in his final year, against a very weak grid and behind Nyck de Vries of all drivers.
(Ocon's was 51G's!)
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Reaction GIF

Started karting at 13, has a single karting title to his name, no single-seater titles and only 11 wins in eight years in the junior formulae.

But his dad is Canada's 16th richest man so hey ho.

I don't even know how he can justify keeping his seat when he's being dominated by a driver that hasn't been in F1 in a year and he has been at Williams the whole time. I guess when it's daddy's money, it doesn't really matter how good your are.

I believe the commentators were talking about Alpine's reserve driver, Piastri, & where does he go if Alpine keeps Ocon & Alonso whose said he wants to stick around a few more years. Sounds like that Williams seat could be a place to be; Albon will be a year with the team, but ultimately, Williams gets 2 fresh faces to take them into this new generation.

I don't see how Latifi will stay beyond this season, he's never performed and surely the time is up.

As for the race, I'm unsure. It rained overnight so the track is going to be a bit green, and surely very dirty off line for any overtaking. Bound to be a few mistakes though.l

There was a post made in the last 30 minutes on the subreddit that it's raining right now.

Which probably isn't going to help an article this morning citing drivers saying the track surface is a joke.
The consensus is that the prospect of an entertaining race will be compromised because drivers cannot move off line to attempt a pass.

“I think most importantly the surface is a joke,” said Perez when asked by Autosport if there will be any passing in the race.

“Tomorrow the racing is going be difficult. And you're going to have the drivers making mistakes because we've been put into this situation.”

In addition to Perez's comments, Fernando Alonso said that the track surface was “not F1 standards”, while Lando Norris suggested that it was “not good enough.”

Additionally, I caught a small feature quoting Sainz being upset the FIA did not address T14's concrete wall before Ocon hit it in the same fashion.

“Innovative” track surface = as cheap as possible
Indeed, it seems like they tried something that's not up to par. Probably chipped off a bit of the track budget into the marina.

Last edited:
Being a southeast Florida resident less than an hour from the track it's super annoying how the drivers are complaining about overtaking before they have even raced a single lap there. It's a street circuit of course it's dirty offline.

Being a southeast Florida resident less than an hour from the track it's super annoying how the drivers are complaining about overtaking before they have even raced a single lap there. It's a street circuit of course it's dirty offline.
It's not actually a street circuit, and it's not nearly this bad on actual street circuits either.

It's not actually a street circuit, and it's not nearly this bad on actual street circuits either.
How can you know it is bad when no one has actually attempted a single overtake in anger yet? I like the layout and I predict the Redbull will overtake the Ferraris on those nice long staights with ease. There will probably be many other overtakes as well. DRS makes it almost too easy.

How can you know it is bad when no one has actually attempted a single overtake in anger yet?
Because the track is extremely slippery off the racing line, that's the point.
I like the layout and I predict the Redbull will overtake the Ferraris on those nice long staights with ease. There will probably be many other overtakes as well. DRS makes it almost too easy.
I doubt that the straights will redeem the track. That's not the case for Barcelona either, for example.

And I doubt that the Red Bulls will even be able to get close to the Ferraris on race pace, but that's a different story.

Last edited:
How can you know it is bad when no one has actually attempted a single overtake in anger yet? I like the layout and I predict the Redbull will overtake the Ferraris on those nice long staights with ease. There will probably be many other overtakes as well. DRS makes it almost too easy.
Jeez, it's almost like the drivers have spent the last 2 days over 4 sessions feeling the track out & might actually know what they're talking about over a fan.

Impressed with Danica Patrick's punditry this weekend. Showing up the ex-F1 regular boredom inducing folks quite easily.

Your local knowledge is amazing. I'm from 4,300 miles away, and I'd swear the circuit is set up in a stadium car park and only uses one actual road - NW 203rd Street.
How can you know it is bad when no one has actually attempted a single overtake in anger yet?
I didn't know that F1 was the only event taking place there this weekend. Again, the kind of valuable insight only a local can give.

Back