Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada 2017Formula 1 

that was special
vPD5S87.gif

That's some of the old Hamilton there I used to like, the one who loves racing and not his celebrity lifestyle.

That's some of the old Hamilton there I used to like, the one who loves racing and not his celebrity lifestyle.
Agreed. His lifestyle only bothers me now and again but fully understand why it's a turn off for some. However, when you see stuff like that you remember he's a pure racer and when it comes to Senna he's just an F1 fan like the rest of us.
What just happened?
Hamilton equaled Senna's pole positions and Senna's family presented him with one of Senna's race helmets. Was pretty cool to watch.

What a great gesture. You can see how much Senna's helmet means to Hamilton.

I'm not a Hamilton fan, but that nearly brought me to tears. I was imagining myself living that moment, sort of living vicariously through Lewis. I think the only things that tops that gift was him getting to drive one of Senna's cars. That was during a time I still could stand his personality. I think it was right after the Canadian GP too. He had gone pretty much straight from the race to the track they had the car at, said he could barely sleep from all the excitement.

Definitely an incredible pole lap as well, although I was more so expecting that from either Bottas or Vettel.

Btw here's the previously mentioned main attraction of the weekend. So glad it's on YouTube as I missed the evening start to sleep;

McLaren won something? Now Alonso has to stay!

Wow I'm about to cry for the guy, that's an amazing extension of gratitude. So wonderful, this is why I love F1.
I like that it came from the Senna family. Moreso that it came at the circuit Hamilton got his first pole at, ten years after getting that first pole.

Hamilton was on the verge of matching one of Senna's records at Singapore last year (or maybe 2015). I think it was matching Senna's number of wins in the same number of starts. There was a lot of media buzz in the week before, and I was left with the distinct impression that the press were ready to annoint him as Senna's heir almost as if it was his birthright. It left an acrid taste in my mouth because Senna inspires every driver. He's not just Hamilton's boyhood hero, and there have bern plenty of other drivers who have put in drives worthy of being Senna-esque - like Button coming from last to pass Vettel on the last lap. The Senna legacy belongs to every driver, not just one man.

That's why I liked the way this played out. It came from the Senna family, and if anyone has the right to name someone as Senna's "heir" (for want of a better word), it's them.

I agree. The comment that I replied to didn't say that though, it said "what is it with Canada and marshalls falling over?". I didn't find it funny as it's only a few years since one fell over and died.

If somebody spun off in the rain and hit a recovery vehicle (as we've seen a number of times in the last decade, both hits and near misses) I wouldn't find it funny if somebody said "what is it with people spinning off and hitting tractors?". It's my opinion, that's all.

I didn't mean it like that, i forgot about that accident, what i had in mind was the 2011 Grand Prix, i see how it came across wrong

But he won't ever be getting a race-worn helmet.

It was still a great gesture, and the one he'll be given is probably worth a lot of money just the same, because it was a owned Senna helmet. Which is why the race worn or promo debacle makes no sense to me, I see the family keeping the race worn because it's by extension theirs to do with. I see it a critical link to Ayrton because he raced with it, and so on and that's the only reason I could see not giving it up.

It was still a great gesture, and the one he'll be given is probably worth a lot of money just the same, because it was a owned Senna helmet. Which is why the race worn or promo debacle makes no sense to me, I see the family keeping the race worn because it's by extension theirs to do with. I see it a critical link to Ayrton because he raced with it, and so on and that's the only reason I could see not giving it up.
People dont like being lied to. Having a replica already cheapens that moment, but it's understandable. But why make all that effort to lie about it being race worn? Just say it was a helmet that was owned by Senna, that is good enough.

People dont like being lied to. Having a replica already cheapens that moment, but it's understandable. But why make all that effort to lie about it being race worn? Just say it was a helmet that was owned by Senna, that is good enough.

Why do you automatically jump to the idea it was a lie, or even any sort of term that would be seen as underhanded? Clearly it was a miscommunication on many parts, people at the track, and various journalists, that the Senna family had to actually rectify. He is getting a real Senna helmet, owned by the man and now given to him for his accomplishment, that I doubt anyone else will soon hit other than Vettel. So I'm confused where this conspiracy to trick Hamilton and more so the fans comes in?

And hell maybe in a few races time, the Schumacher family will do the same. Though I would rather that honor go to Vettel

Why do you automatically jump to the idea it was a lie, or even any sort of term that would be seen as underhanded? Clearly it was a miscommunication on many parts, people at the track, and various journalists, that the Senna family had to actually rectify. He is getting a real Senna helmet, owned by the man and now given to him for his accomplishment, that I doubt anyone else will soon hit other than Vettel. So I'm confused where this conspiracy to trick Hamilton and more so the fans comes in?

And hell maybe in a few races time, the Schumacher family will do the same. Though I would rather that honor go to Vettel

Because a, it's showbusiness and thats how things tend to get done, and b, we've already been told it's definitely not a replica, and where there is one lie its not unreasonable to expect another.

Most likely the desire to make this a memorable TV moment started all the hyperbole. What probably started as a Senna owned helmet, ended up as a race worn helmet through the several links of communication the information went through.

Back