Formula 1 Qatar Airways Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2024Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 133 comments
F1TV debating that Sainz had position ahead of Perez & that entitled him to move across with Perez needing to concede.

Last edited:
Embarrassing by Perez. Of course when he's finally faster than Verstappen, he finds a way to * it up. In my mind, although Sainz did drift to the left, the movement was minimal, and not spontaneous, with Perez deciding he will stay close to the car, regardless of how risky it is.

Piastri showing he can win on merit though, deserved win.

1000014314.png

Stewards are busy.

All VSC infringements are for overtaking

Last edited:
Happy to see that McLaren has finally taken that championship lead. But considering the pace between the McLarens and Ferraris, this could be going to the end and looks like Red Bull might end up in 3rd if their woes continue

Norris now less than 60 on Max. I don't think He's making the kind of progress he needs to really maximize the pace difference, guess we'll have to see how things turn out at the end.

To me Sainz move wasn't erratic or unpredictable, he came across, but gradually. Obviously there was overlap, but Perez just didn't react to it at all and had plenty of room. Was a really odd accident.
The key part of this as well is Sainz doesn't move his wheel left. It's his trajectory and it's entirely predictable. Racing incident for sure but if any blame gets weighted anywhere then it has to be to Perez for not doing anything about it.

Just an unfortunate collision.

Phenomenal drive from Piastri, controlled and confident, the Mclaren clearly good on its tyres and forced Ferrari to go past the comfort zone. Brilliant for Williams, Colapinto looks comfortable and justifies their position to remove Sargeant. Bearman showing as well that he will get up to speed quickly, whilst I know it won't happen, it wouldn't shock me to see him stay in the Haas to the end of the season as he has no chance of a decent F1 finish.

VSC infrigements are only warnings (at least for Hulkenberg and Verstappen, still waiting for the documents for Gasly and Ocon, but likely the same)

Edit: Gasly and Ocon now also confirmed to just be a warning

Last edited:
VSC infrigements are only warnings (at least for Hulkenberg and Verstappen, still waiting for the documents for Gasly and Ocon, but likely the same)
Ocon's warning is a 5 second penalty though (probably).

I cant figure out how PIA gained 5 sec on his pit stop on LEC. PIA pitted 5.8 sec behind, stop 24.3. LEC stops next lap 24.8 and comes out .9 sec ahead.

The three-way battle for the second place Leclerc, Perez, and Sainz was so exciting to watch. It is unfortunate how things ended.
I thought since Sainz was able to get ahead of Perez, but behind Charles, we'd see him play a little 'Minister of Defense' since Charles' rear tires were gone.

Here are my hot-takes on everything Baku.

PEREZ / SAINZ:

Racing incident, but I still put most of the blame on Perez.
Yes, Sainz moved across, but he has the right to do so given there was plenty of space to Perez's left and he was clearly ahead.
Perez could and should have reacted. He just chose not to.

PIASTRI:

Impressive overall. I am gonna say though that his overtake was the second race in a row where he caught his opponent sleeping and for some reason not reacting / defending. 50/50 chance his move on Charles ends in tears. It didn't so he's the hero. Good for him.

NORRIS:

Not fully convinced his Q1 exit was only because of the yellow flag and not mostly on him missing the next corner, but either way very unfortunate for him once again.
Great recovery drive, fastest lap and finished ahead of Max. Championship fight is still on imo.

VERSTAPPEN:

He apparently opted for a different set-up than his team-mate. Wrong call. His worst performance in a while.

THE ROOKIES:

Just amazing. Don't fully understand how Bea ended up ahead of Hulk, but fantastic 10/10 performances regardless form COL and BEA.

Last edited:
But that's such an incredibly specific situation that you might as well say he's the first driver named Bearman to score points
I mean, it is possible someone else had the nickname "Bearman" but never told anyone.

But that's such an incredibly specific situation that you might as well say he's the first driver named Bearman to score points
It's significant enough; there have been lots of drivers whose first two races were for two different teams, Michael Schumacher and Gilles Villeneuve to name but two who went on to be successful and memorable. But none got points from those two drives.

It's significant enough; there have been lots of drivers whose first two races were for two different teams, Michael Schumacher and Gilles Villeneuve to name but two who went on to be successful and memorable. But none got points from those two drives.

It was also more difficult to do in the past. Up until the early 2003, only the top 6 finishers scored points in a race, and after that it was the top 8 for a few years until the current system offering points to the top 10 started in 2010. Apparently before 1961 it was the top 5 only.

While car reliability has made it harder to gain places through breakdowns, in the past the first time driver would have had to beat one of the top 6 car / driver combinations to score a point. It was very rare for a new driver to score a point on their first race, never mind the idea of repeating the feat in another car on their next attempt. It was so rare, it was a very notable achievement that drivers were well remembered for. Prost was one driver who managed it. I don't know how many did, but I believe that before 2000 it was maybe a handful who had managed it, not counting race 1 in 1950 of course.

Nowadays when a new driver starts in a decent (not necessarily race winning) car, it's expected that they'll get points.

It was also more difficult to do in the past. Up until the early 2003, only the top 6 finishers scored points in a race, and after that it was the top 8 for a few years until the current system offering points to the top 10 started in 2010. Apparently before 1961 it was the top 5 only.

While car reliability has made it harder to gain places through breakdowns, in the past the first time driver would have had to beat one of the top 6 car / driver combinations to score a point. It was very rare for a new driver to score a point on their first race, never mind the idea of repeating the feat in another car on their next attempt. It was so rare, it was a very notable achievement that drivers were well remembered for. Prost was one driver who managed it. I don't know how many did, but I believe that before 2000 it was maybe a handful who had managed it, not counting race 1 in 1950 of course.

Nowadays when a new driver starts in a decent (not necessarily race winning) car, it's expected that they'll get points.
It has still taken 15 years for this significant first to occur.
Going from 2003 onwards, let's see which other drivers also had their first two Grands Prix for two different constructors and their chances at this.

Sebastian Vettel: BMW Sauber - 1 point. Toro Rosso - 0 points
Will Stevens: Caterham - 0 points. Manor - 0 points
Nyck De Vries: Williams - 2 points, AlphaTauri - 0 points
Ollie Bearman: Ferrari - 6 points, Haas - 1 point

Yes it's a small pool for the statistics from 21 years, but as pointed out F1 history is a lot longer than 21 years and for a record to be set after 75 seasons is quite an impressive feat, especially in the age of professional contracts and set constructors. Gone are the days of local drivers entering random cars, garagistes and pre-qualifying. And forever, even if someone else does it, Bearman was the first to do it.

Latest Posts

Back