Forza Horizon 5: General Discussion

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 18,947 comments
I understand the prolonging of the life of the game through dripfeed content, but what I personally find infuriating is that nearly all of it continues to be added as exclusive content.

The stress is especially greater when the car in question is a common, inexpensive model.
It is even more so with FH5 because the availability of both exclusives and H2Fs has clearly been reduced.

A suggestion I've seen several times on forums and elsewhere is that recycled content should be added to the auto show and only "New to Forza" cars should be exclusive content.

I think the "problem" is exacerbated by comparison with FH4. A very large % of the cars added post release in FH4 were new to Forza, whereas in comparison FH5 took out a few hundred of those cars from release and is giving them back to us weekly.

I assume the reason for all this is that FM8 and FH6 car models are being worked on and due to technology changes they can't all easily be ported back to FH5, so PG/T10 planned ahead to give themselves a large library of "old game engine" models to recycle during the FH4 and FH5 era, while their main modelling team is busy working on FM8/FH6 era model updates.

The truth will become apparent when FM8 releases. Either it will take FM7's roster of nearly 800 cars and grow further, or it will have paired down the roster to a smaller set (300-500 cars?) all meeting new modelling quality requirements.

I should also note that many of these FH5 post-release recycled cars were post-release FH4 content which was likewise gated. So people who only played FH4 without seasonal events won't have seen them before.

I don't really think just dripfeeding a car each week makes the game feel "fresh" at all, especially when the ways you earn that car are the same tired "break 50 lanterns/solar panels/cactii/snowmen/whatever" or "take a picture of a random car next to a rock" or racing at the same base game tracks we have already done hundreds of times. Even if we could use the new car for those repetitive events/"challenges" it would still be pretty boring.

There are a bunch of things they could do to make it a little more engaging. For example, they could add 2 cars as part of a theme or something at the start of the season, then make the events use those cars and the prizes tie in to theme. For example with the Stellantis situation, if they were to return, add a Fiat 500 and Alfa MiTo, then have us use them in a special multiplayer hopper and special co-op "Trial" style series (that you can do single player or private co-op) where it selects random tracks, and has teams of Fiat vs Alfa. If the Fiat team gets the most community podiums, then we unlock a Fiat shirt, or next week's prize car is another Fiat first and then an Alfa later or something, or maybe a new Fiat is given free as a gift but a new Alfa needs to be bought/earned since the Alfa team didn't win. They could even make no "new" car for a week to balance out giving 2 cars the week prior and it would still make it more interesting/engaging than the way it currently runs.

A little bit of creativity would go a long way right now, but other than a few glimpses with half-hearted things like that "Nations Cup" thing a while back, it's just the same incoherent slog over and over.

Last edited:
I don't really think just dripfeeding a car each week makes the game feel "fresh" at all, especially when the ways you earn that car are the same tired "break 50 lanterns/solar panels/cactii/snowmen/whatever" or "take a picture of a random car next to a rock" or racing at the same base game tracks we have already done hundreds of times. Even if we could use the new car for those repetitive events/"challenges" it would still be pretty boring.

There are a bunch of things they could do to make it a little more engaging. For example, they could add 2 cars as part of a theme or something at the start of the season, then make the events use those cars and the prizes tie in to theme. For example with the Stellantis situation, if they were to return, add a Fiat 500 and Alfa MiTo, then have us use them in a special multiplayer hopper and special co-op "Trial" style series (that you can do single player or private co-op) where it selects random tracks, and has teams of Fiat vs Alfa. If the Fiat team gets the most community podiums, then we unlock a Fiat shirt, or next week's prize car is another Fiat first and then an Alfa later or something, or maybe a new Fiat is given free as a gift but a new Alfa needs to be bought/earned since the Alfa team didn't win. They could even make no "new" car for a week to balance out giving 2 cars the week prior and it would still make it more interesting/engaging than the way it currently runs.

A little bit of creativity would go a long way right now, but other than a few glimpses with half-hearted things like that "Nations Cup" thing a while back, it's just the same incoherent slog over and over.
I'll be honest, not many would play those events if the rewards weren't substantial. People would grab the car and do something else. A simple t shirt is not even close to appealing to most of the active players. Many currently play and unlock every car just to keep the car collection screen complete, some to sell the car to the auction house and some play for the car itself, even if all the cars are uninteresting to them. IF both cars are guaranteed then very few will actually participate. This would be a huge downgrade in the engagement PGG wants.
The Festival Playlist is the only part of the game that makes you work for cars, and i agree they need to match themes and car rewards better (and also use more eventlab tracks for championships or rivals or whatever). PGG wants user engagement and like it or not, simple challenges/events are the most successful method. Many prefer to finish unlocking the new 20pt car within 20mins, which you can do currently quite easily. Any longer and youll receive complaints that it is too grindy/difficult. Any shorter and there will be no grind/interest.

The Festival Playlist is the only part of the game that makes you work for cars, and i agree they need to match themes and car rewards better (and also use more eventlab tracks for championships or rivals or whatever).
I suspect the reason they don't use more user created tracks or have AI racing on the ones they do is how badly they're likely to perform on the lower end platforms given their lack of optimisation.

Maybe this'll be less of a problem in future Horizons assuming that they use the current gen-only engine from the forthcoming Forza Motorsport game (and that PG are prepared to accept the resultant drop in player numbers).

Last edited:
The truth will become apparent when FM8 releases. Either it will take FM7's roster of nearly 800 cars and grow further, or it will have paired down the roster to a smaller set (300-500 cars?) all meeting new modelling quality requirements.
I believe the truth will become apparent that it may lean towards the latter. Licenses do change over time and to be honest I don't expect to see 1,000 cars in the FM reboot. Who knows, unless if they release any new details about FM later this year we won't know for sure.

Realistically at best it would be about 400 cars.

First I was a Dorito chip. Now I can be an Oreo cookie?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1673288653972.jpg
    FB_IMG_1673288653972.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 14
We might see Expansion 2 (finally) alongside more Forza Motorsport (FINALLY) on 25th, right before this months Forza monthly.
Probably means that exp2 releases mid to late feb.
No mention of FH5 Expansion 2 in the article by WindowsCentral... but Torben did say early next year for a first look.

I think a reveal at this event and then a release for Series 18 (March 2nd) would make a lot of sense.

Last edited:
I may stand alone in saying this but I really wish there’s some new ACURA in this upcoming mix. Feels like a dead spot since FM4.
Outside the outgoing NSX they haven't come out with anything remotely interesting or fun to drive since the RSX. The new Integra maybe, but I'd rather have the FL5 Civic Type-R to be honest. What I wouldn't mind seeing is the 2nd gen Integra GS-R from 1990 to 1993, and maybe a return of a more vanilla version of the original NA1/2 NSX.

But yeah, anything Honda related would be fine with me.

Don't know if this is worrying but:

The Leamington Spa, UK-based outfit’s founding team is led by former Forza Horizon creative director Mike Brown, who’s serving as its creative director and studio head.

Maverick’s leadership team also includes chief operating officer Harinder Sangha, who was previously co-studio head of Sumo Digital Leamington, and executive producer Tom Butcher, who was formerly lead producer at Playground.

Its chief technology officer Matt Craven was Playground’s technical director, its content director Gareth Harwood was technical art director at the Xbox studio, and audio director Fraser Strachan held the same role at the Forza developer.

Ex-Playground studio art director Ben Penrose is Maverick’s art director, while former EA experience design director Elly Marshall is the company’s UX/UI director.

The start-up said it has secured significant seed funding and its debut game will be a new, premium open-world title for consoles and PC, although Tuesday’s announcement didn’t confirm if it’s in the racing genre.

“Our goal is for Maverick Games to be a studio people will love,” said Brown. “For players, we’re already at work on an exciting ultra-high quality title, and for developers, we’re building a home where everyone is encouraged to take risks, be curious, be creative, be innovative, be themselves, and above all – be a Maverick.”

Last edited:
It is too early at this stage to say whether it is good or bad for the future of the Forza Horizon series, but it is going to have a significant impact if Mike Brown is leaving among others.

Given the talent Maverick Games has on board, I would be surprised if it is not an open-world racing game they are working on.

If it wasn't being open world, I'd have said it would be a PGR reboot / spiritual successor; the talent kind of goes full circle since PG was made up of a lot of the ashes of Bizarre Creations.

I bet there's going to be randos everywhere assuming it's "doom and gloom" for the FH franchise, as if those who left would even care, cause they don't. :rolleyes: Not even close, but is still sad news overall. Maybe it's due the constants complaints from unsatisfied fans? I dunno, by I'd leave too. I'm very curious what kind of open world game they're gonna make at Maverick. I'd definitely take the one @INEEDNAWZZZ just mentioned though. A spiritual seccessor to that game would be wonderful! But who knows? I'm sure Mike and co would let us know someday. :D

Last edited:
Don't know if this is worrying
Not necessarily.

The core game design of Forza Horizon 5 and its post-launch content was mapped out ages ago (games have very long lead times for this sort of thing, 1-3 years depending on the game).

Maybe some priorities change on a few things but in terms of tentpole features, whatever is coming is likely what was coming anyway.

I wish Maverick the best with their new endeavour. Breaking away from a safe job and successful IP to do something new is a big risk but let’s see how it pans out in a few years.

Forza Horizon 6 however, that could go in a different direction with new leadership, but it's way too early for any of us to speculate on that.

The main thing for us players that will change is who is on the Let's Go streams each month.

Last edited:
Don't know if this is worrying but:

The Leamington Spa, UK-based outfit’s founding team is led by former Forza Horizon creative director Mike Brown, who’s serving as its creative director and studio head.

Maverick’s leadership team also includes chief operating officer Harinder Sangha, who was previously co-studio head of Sumo Digital Leamington, and executive producer Tom Butcher, who was formerly lead producer at Playground.

Its chief technology officer Matt Craven was Playground’s technical director, its content director Gareth Harwood was technical art director at the Xbox studio, and audio director Fraser Strachan held the same role at the Forza developer.

Ex-Playground studio art director Ben Penrose is Maverick’s art director, while former EA experience design director Elly Marshall is the company’s UX/UI director.

The start-up said it has secured significant seed funding and its debut game will be a new, premium open-world title for consoles and PC, although Tuesday’s announcement didn’t confirm if it’s in the racing genre.

“Our goal is for Maverick Games to be a studio people will love,” said Brown. “For players, we’re already at work on an exciting ultra-high quality title, and for developers, we’re building a home where everyone is encouraged to take risks, be curious, be creative, be innovative, be themselves, and above all – be a Maverick.”
I guess we won't be seeing tommy bargain anymore? They could just change him to someone else of course.

On the other hand, Mike Comment (in my opinion) kind of suggested in a way that they were forced to make the "game" safe. (Not taking risks with FH5). But again that's just my opinion.

If it is a car game that Mike and co are working on, then good. Horizon can do with some competition besides The Crew, NFS and Solar Crown.

If it's some kind of Horizon clone, this could also potentially be good news for PlayStation owners. Unless Microsoft buy up Maverick as well, ha ha.

Looking at the FH5 credits in search of possible Brown successors I was surprised to discover Richard Burns has been one of PG's UI artists on all five games. It's not that Richard Burns though :lol:

Last edited:
After playing The Crew 2 for some time (to combat FH boredom, mostly), I think it's high time that FH's developers consider including street/dirt bikes/ATVs in the future.

Definitely. I mean I'd be more than happy to see new talent, but my cynical side also gives me a lot of worry. What if the Horizon series gets progressively worse than what Brown did?

Actually, I'm quite afraid that passenger liner has sunk. FH5 could be the last game ever, if it is true.

Last edited:
Back