Forza Horizon 5: General Discussion

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 18,905 comments
It also tells you what type of car you need to do seasonal events by highlighting the event on the map. I usually use GTP's writeups in the news section though. That said, I wish you could take the house functions like customise character and paint car with you on the road.

Last edited:
I believe it does show it on the infobox by clicking in one of the joysticks? I could have sworn that was an option, or something at least similar to what I'm saying. It's been well over a year since I actually sat down and played the game, so I can't recall exactly.
it does, I believe right analogue stick left <=> right toggles between car division and brand emblem.
I get the "no sense of progression" complaint, but the great thing about FH titles -- especially FH4 and (presumably) FH5 -- is that after the brief intro bit it doesn't look like you're particularly railroaded into a certain career path. I've seen people complain about not being able to start out in a slower car and progress to faster ones, but that's what I plan to do once the game sets me loose, and there seem to be plenty of ways to get a lot of mileage out of each personal idiosyncratic approach. My plan is to start with an inexpensive Common rarity car, like a Datsun 510, and race it until I've earned enough skill points to fill its grid and said car is completely mastered. Then on to the next one with a different build and focus -- a Baja Bug, a Porsche 914/6, an '02 RX-7, a '65 GTO, and so on -- making sure I spend at least a couple hours in a car to really get attached to it, until by the end of my self-guided "career" I've graduated to the hypercars. I've picked out about 100ish cars I plan on making the full commitment to as far as driving, painting, and tuning, and once I'm done with those I'll see what the other cars have in store. This really is a kind of "make your own fun" kind of game over the last few installments, and I like that openness.
That’s actually a pretty good suggestion, fill a car with mastery points and only then move on to the next car. It’s a nice artificial way to slow car progress down, because in FH/FM games they throw a handful of cars at you every hour, which for me is ridiculous.

also, if you don’t touch any of the cars in your garage they will still be labelled as “new” so any car that is not labelled “new” is one you can use. ☺️

I believe it does show it on the infobox by clicking in one of the joysticks? I could have sworn that was an option, or something at least similar to what I'm saying. It's been well over a year since I actually sat down and played the game, so I can't recall exactly.
Yep - default display is the brand logo (duplicating the brand name, which is fixed on the main garage/car list overview), with the class appearing instead if you move the right stick left/right... or maybe up/down - the other one switches between performance data and performance numbers - but as with the required tyres discussion over in t'other game, there's no reason it should be any number of button presses away. It should be right there.
It also tells you what type of car you need to do seasonal events by highlighting the event on the map.
Seasonals, yes - although that does remind me of another "crap UI" point that you can't do that from the Festival Playlist screen that the game boots into (at least for the co-op required ones; don't recall whether the solo-permitted ones do that) - but not Online Adventure, the ranked multiplayer.

You get a car class only after matchmaking and entry, and you pick a car from your existing garage; no additional purchases, no additional tuning, just what you've already got. I had one earlier where I suddenly got B700 for an event mainly set off-road. Didn't have much that suited and ended up with a B675... buggy of some kind with a CVT; don't even recall its name, but it was amusing in the corners. Ended up getting flattened against a wall by an AT38.

It surely can't be hard to allow players to buy a car and use the auto class tune function in the 60s they have to select a vehicle?

Last edited:
Yep - default display is the brand logo (duplicating the brand name, which is fixed on the main garage/car list overview), with the class appearing instead if you move the right stick left/right... or maybe up/down - the other one switches between performance data and performance numbers - but as with the required tyres discussion over in t'other game, there's no reason it should be any number of button presses away. It should be right there.
I definitely don't disagree. It's something I found odd as well, and took me a bit to even find that out with so much going on within every single menu option.

To add to this, as far as I know, there is no way to display the engine type...only the displacement. The only place where engine type is even mentioned is in the engine swap panel. And with some suspect engine sounds in FH4, it's not always clear what engine is in a particular car. Case in point, I for the longest time believed the Toyota trophy truck was a V8...because it sounds like a V8. It's actually a V6.

Video on some car sounds:

This looks to have the correct sound for the R34. I personally don't think it's half-bad.

EDIT: The RS6 sounds infinitely better now too, albeit a bit quiet maybe? Generally these sounds are miles better than Horizon 4.

Last edited:
… and was deleted from those videos later on. Seems like they lost the license from the entire FIAT group except for Ferrari. 😟
I am pretty sure it wasn't? I went back to check the video and make sure I wasn't seeing things, too.

Tbh, it would be rather alarming to have pretty much all of the Stellantis brands but the Italian ones...

To add to this, as far as I know, there is no way to display the engine type...only the displacement. The only place where engine type is even mentioned is in the engine swap panel. And with some suspect engine sounds in FH4, it's not always clear what engine is in a particular car. Case in point, I for the longest time believed the Toyota trophy truck was a V8...because it sounds like a V8. It's actually a V6.
I always check Wikipedia if I don’t know what a car’s stock engine is. It’s indeed ridiculous, on the engine upgrade menu they show what engines you can upgrade to but they don’t mention what the stock engine is.

Also for tire width, I believe you can only see your tire width in case you can change to different tires. In Motorsport, some car tires can’t be upgraded so the entire upgrade section is blocked. FH1 (of all things…) seems to have the most detailed stats with many filters and selection options to browse your garage.

I wish there was a detailed stats page in the garage where you can see ever stats from your car in detail. Surely the game already uses that data in the background, it’s just not visible in the UI (at least not all data).

I am pretty sure it wasn't? I went back to check the video and make sure I wasn't seeing things, too.

Tbh, it would be rather alarming to have pretty much all of the Stellantis brands but the Italian ones...
I’m not sure in what video exactly but it was posted here in this thread several weeks ago that the Lancia Stratos sound clip was removed. I didn’t check it myself though.

But it’s indeed odd. On one side I believe it was Mike Brown who even said that the Stratos sound was his favourite one in-game. And indeed showing that car back then in the live stream, there was no reason whatsoever to doubt that Lancia would not be in the game.

But now we have a preview build out for the public with Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Fiat/Abarth and Citroën/DS missing as the most important manufacturers, they are all under the Stellantis umbrella. Maserati seems to be the only Italian manufacturer under Stellantis that is in the preview build.

My suspicion is that they very recently lost the license to those brands. If Mike Brown / PG would have known back then that Lancia wouldn’t be included, they for sure would not have shown that Stratos sound clip and certainly not mention it has their favourite sound.

Honestly I don’t hold any hope that any of the missing car manufacturers make it into the final game. I mean, their preview build is out in the open. From a marketing perspective it would make zero sense to release a preview build with these manufacturers missing while at the same time for all other manufacturers you have the full car list included.

Let’s hope that for whatever reason they are not included, they come back as soon as possible. I doubt that will be launch, I hope that will be post-launch.

Probably unlikely, but if for some reason Alfa Romeo or Lancia are late to the launch, I hope they will be added to the game in the pattern of Mitsubishi instead of Toyota.
The "add everything to the playlist" style would help retain Game Pass subscribers and increase the numbers in terms of user engagement.
However, I'm a little tired of this excessive style since FH4.
Hey PG, can you at least add the cars that were in the past Xbox One generation of Forza to the auto show?

27 Clay Regazzoni.jpg

I’m sure I saw a post in this thread asking where the Jaguar XJR15 was as it apparently wasn’t in the autoshow. I saw in one of the preview vids that it is a barn find. Can’t remember who the video was from sorry.

Last edited:
Man, I’m actually slightly disappointed that the XJR-15 is a barn find. I was hoping to use the free car grant to get it immediately.

Haven't watched any of the preview build videos that Youtubers are putting up, think there might be too many spoilers....I'm tempted though!!

Last edited:
I’m not sure in what video exactly but it was posted here in this thread several weeks ago that the Lancia Stratos sound clip was removed. I didn’t check it myself though.

But it’s indeed odd. On one side I believe it was Mike Brown who even said that the Stratos sound was his favourite one in-game. And indeed showing that car back then in the live stream, there was no reason whatsoever to doubt that Lancia would not be in the game.

But now we have a preview build out for the public with Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Fiat/Abarth and Citroën/DS missing as the most important manufacturers, they are all under the Stellantis umbrella. Maserati seems to be the only Italian manufacturer under Stellantis that is in the preview build.

My suspicion is that they very recently lost the license to those brands. If Mike Brown / PG would have known back then that Lancia wouldn’t be included, they for sure would not have shown that Stratos sound clip and certainly not mention it has their favourite sound.

Honestly I don’t hold any hope that any of the missing car manufacturers make it into the final game. I mean, their preview build is out in the open. From a marketing perspective it would make zero sense to release a preview build with these manufacturers missing while at the same time for all other manufacturers you have the full car list included.

Let’s hope that for whatever reason they are not included, they come back as soon as possible. I doubt that will be launch, I hope that will be post-launch.
The fact that Stellantis was formed relatively recently leads me to believe that they're still trying to integrate all of their brands into a single unified licensing department (and license agreement lengths and schedules) and they just haven't gotten around to doing so with those brands, whereas they have for Maserati, Peugeot, Opel/Vauxhall and the former Chrysler Group. This is just pure speculation on my part, but that's the only logical explanation since I don't think there's something sinister going on like Toyota being in bed with PD/Japanese devs in general when FH4 launched and VW being out of FH3 but its subsidiaries in due to the Dieselgate fallout*.

*Yes, this is speculation as well, but the timeline certainly seems to line up, and a lot of people wouldn't have known Audi, Bugatti etc. were part of VW.

Last edited:
The fact that Stellantis was formed relatively recently leads me to believe that they're still trying to integrate all of their brands into a single unified licensing department (and license agreement lengths and schedules) and they just haven't gotten around to doing so with those brands, whereas they have for Maserati, Peugeot, Opel/Vauxhall and the former Chrysler Group. This is just pure speculation on my part, but that's the only logical explanation since I don't think there's something sinister going on like Toyota being in bed with PD/Japanese devs in general when FH4 launched and VW being out of FH3 but its subsidiaries in due to the Dieselgate fallout*.

*Yes, this is speculation as well, but the timeline certainly seems to line up, and a lot of people wouldn't have known Audi, Bugatti etc. were part of VW.
Makes sense indeed. It’s a gigantic group now with so many brands, I wouldnt be surprised if licensing in games is indeed done at several offices all over the world. Most likely, if the group is recently formed/merged as it is, many of the brand divisions still operate quite individual, including brand licensing for video games, toys, etc.

Horizon 5 looks like nearly childish like Part 4. Especially when i see the story scenes. Why they cant make it a Bit more seriously. To get the Older playership, too. Im asking me.

Last edited:
Video on some car sounds:

This looks to have the correct sound for the R34. I personally don't think it's half-bad.

EDIT: The RS6 sounds infinitely better now too, albeit a bit quiet maybe? Generally these sounds are miles better than Horizon 4.

They are an improvement, but I'm not going to be uncritical. I'm reminded of NFS shift. The sounds are more accurate than FH4 overall, and they are certainly more soundy, but I'm not a fan of the amount of artifacts, distortion and obvious manipulation. The modified cars sound less modified to me and more "processed" if that makes sense. Is this really different than what they did in FM3? If I compare them in my head to the current gold standard, Dirt Rally 2.0, these sound pretty lo-fi and unspecific where DR2 sounds utterly crisp with fantastic detail. (This is perhaps not a super fair comparison considering the car count disparity, but I still think it's the bar). Like...just compare the AE86 in the clip above to the E30 M3 from DR2. Similar engine / platform (S14 and 4A-GE sound similar to me IRL), but DR2 makes you feel like you're actually sitting in the car. It's precise, it's finely detailed, it's gorgeous.

Other observation: I just noticed one completely unacceptable bug that is STILL in the game. Pay attention to the tachometer needle on the Supra (it's most noticeable/explicity on the 300SL in FH4, but is prevalent all over) - the reflection map actually rotates with the needle. I don't even know how that happens? It's like the cube map is fixed to the orientation of the geometry, so the entire horizon line rotates with the needle. It's things like this that drive me crazy about PG games...how has nobody on the dev team either noticed this or bothered to fix it?

Last edited:
Horizon 5 looks like nearly childish like Part 4. Especially when i see the story scenes. Why they cant make it a Bit more seriously. To get the Older playership, too. Im asking me.
Sure, the story and premise itself can seem "childish"(not even sure if I'd call it that), not really sure what else would be considered childish though.

Back