Forza Horizon 5: General Discussion

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 18,642 comments
I feel sorry for the modelers. All that work and the models are fully ready in game, but the licensing failed...
I don't think it's a licensing problem in this case, seeing as Autech is a subdivision of NISMO and was never not wholly owned by Nissan...

Okay I'm completely puzzled here...

The VW SP2 has a multitude of flat engine swaps; EJ20, EJ25, the Rally Impreza engine and the Metzger 4.0 from the 997 GT3RS. But there is also a naturally aspirated 2.6L "racing" F4 that I absolutely cannot find what vehicle it's supposed to be from. It revs to 8k and it cannot be modified, but it doesn't fit the description of any Porsche, VW or Subaru we have in game or even in FM23...

The VW SP2 has a multitude of flat engine swaps; EJ20, EJ25, the Rally Impreza engine and the Metzger 4.0 from the 997 GT3RS. But there is also a naturally aspirated 2.6L "racing" F4 that I absolutely cannot find what vehicle it's supposed to be from. It revs to 8k and it cannot be modified, but it doesn't fit the description of any Porsche, VW or Subaru we have in game or even in FM23...
Perhaps it's a car that is yet to be added to the game?

I wondered the same thing, and after looking at the specs of other Volkswagens, I found it's the engine from Papa Fernando's Beetle Forza Edition. The specs are the same and so is the engine sound, and I believe the SP2 is the first car to use this engine swap.
fh5_car_510.jpg

Yep, It's the Beetle FE engine. The Thing also has an unusual list of swaps - instead of copying the list from the Beetle as they did with the Double Cab, Baja Bug, Scumbug, and so on, it's a copy of the list from the duplicate Beetle used in the Vocho story, including the 911 GT1 engine used in the Vocho top speed run.

After spending some time with this Series... I think it's clear to me this was at least initially planned as an upgrade-focused Series like the two Donut Media updates. The PR Stunts in Mexico requiring upgraded cars and the return of Donut Merch (apart from the obvious punchline) is at least a small indication of that, and from what I can tell the Weekly Challenge descriptions have a similar sense of humor to Donut.

In hindsight the coffee shop thing was hiding in plain sight, what with the roundabout having a swirl pattern in the center just like an espresso. But I'm genuinely willing to guess that they were probably looking to continue working with Donut in some form before they decided it would be more liberating to do their own thing with this 'Car Culture' update, because a huge chunk of the cars in this Playlist are genuine upgrade fodder, including the JDM pack. The Vanquish and Aventador's appeal lie in being strong cars stock, but the remaining seven feel like they're meant to be pushed as much as possible.

Turned out they made the right choice in hindsight, but still, it's worth mentioning.

Also if I remember correctly, Donut are very much linked to old Volkswagens in general too, kinda reinforcing the idea this was a scrapped Donut update. I may be wrong but I know for a fact James Pumphrey used to have a 3rd gen Golf, as well as the fact one of their "iconic" cars was a Golf convertible

Also if I remember correctly, Donut are very much linked to old Volkswagens in general too, kinda reinforcing the idea this was a scrapped Donut update. I may be wrong but I know for a fact James Pumphrey used to have a 3rd gen Golf, as well as the fact one of their "iconic" cars was a Golf convertible
Yeah; I think that does settle it for me, this was initially Donut Media Part Three. Even some of the rewards in the last week of Modern Horizons point to this being a Donut Media update at first, like they wanted to spend that week hyping up their return to Horizon.

That being said... We knew about this update for about two months beforehand thanks to its badges being found in Horizon Retrowave's update--which means it'd been in production for at least three months up to now--and Donut was still intact for a large chunk of that time, it wasn't until Modern Horizons that the channel finally broke up. The question now is, what happened to make them scrap the Donut Media piece? Did PG decide to break off the Donut partnership of their own volition, or did Recurrent Ventures decide they had a better deal with NIO and Ubisoft? It can't be the latter, 'cause the merch is still being given out, and the former would probably also mean the merch wouldn't come back either.

Last edited:
Also if I remember correctly, Donut are very much linked to old Volkswagens in general too, kinda reinforcing the idea this was a scrapped Donut update.

That might be a bit of a stretch to be honest - the VW Thing has been in the backlog since at least 2019 and was probably initially intended for FH4 seasonal content. There's only one other VW in the update, and it's not even a model that was sold in the USA.

That might be a bit of a stretch to be honest - the VW Thing has been in the backlog since at least 2019 and was probably initially intended for FH4 seasonal content. There's only one other VW in the update, and it's not even a model that was sold in the USA.
That may be so, but I counter with a) it seems a bit odd that they would choose to add the Thing in this update and not any prior off-road updates, like Horizon Wilds Takeover, Explore the Horizon or even the Race-Off where having a set of new Off-Road cars would have been welcome, and b) the Thing and SP2, like most of the rest of the cars in this update, are meant to be upgraded and come with semi-unique engine swaps. It just doesn't add up as well.

Alright, about time for the mid-Series prediction for next update! This is just how I'm feelin' about the update personally, after a couple weeks have passed.

We know we're getting four cars in the Playlist, so no Series reward (thank **** for that). If they're being dead-honest there might not be a car pack this update either but I bet there will be, maybe even whatever they had planned for Modern Horizons before now.

But here's what I've been thinkin'; if this theme of 'one theme, then the opposite of that theme in the next update' holds up, then this update will be performance variants of low-rarity cars. I doubt we'll be getting the FL5, unfortunately, so I left it out, but I hope this holds up.

Mass Production, High Performance (or, Fast Common Cars)
Summer: 2021 Subaru WRX (27,000 units produced. We haven't seen the post-facelift WRX in-game yet; with the Yaris being added in Modern Horizons it's clear PG is at least thinking about expanding the Modern Rally class. Tossing this in would make for a good multirole/leaning off-road reward car. Consider this my pick for Headline Car, though.)
Autumn: 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E GT (The Obligatory EV for this update. 150,000 cars produced in total. We have a Mach-E already in-game but quite frankly that one is a track model; we don't have a real street-legal Mach-E, so... at least you'd get Ford marketing dollars this way, even if it is Yet Another EV SUV to Make Cross-Country Builds Out Of.)
Winter: Hyundai Elantra N (~400,000 seventh-gen Elantras produced as of 2023. We've never had a TCR in FH5 without its street model either already in-game or arriving at some point--look at the Lynk and Co 03+ and the MG MG7. This might be another marketing partner car but honestly I wouldn't mind this one as much.)
Spring: 2021 BMW M5 Competition (This completes the Competition variant set we already have in game. Honestly with the number of cars from marketing partners I've got down in this prediction, I'm genuinely predicting a pretty low-key update, but to be fair, sometimes you do get bangers out of these, so holding out hope this isn't just a list of really milquetoast sports cars.)

Last edited:
The McLaren 620R is the car I never knew I needed until last night. I tuned it to the top of S1 class and it's probably the best all-round race car, with enough power and performance to beat any tarmac event. It's far more versatile than the Noble M400, which has great handling but poor top end speed.

yeah, it was in my messages once the new season arrived. A new game mode could be a lot of fun, we'll see :D

Also partnerships will probably be sponsor logo type things, I guess. I'd love some partnerships with exotic/botique car makers or bodykit makers, but that's less likely.

Was a little late to the party with the JDM Jewels Car Pack, but I built an Autozam AZ-1 with a widebody and a racing two-J.Z. swap with all-wheel drive and it's an absolute beast that can propel itself to 463km/h in almost no time. You'll have to wrestle with it on the first few gears though.

Big things come in small packages, and given the theme of this Festival Playlist, speeding works better than caffeine.

yeah, it was in my messages once the new season arrived. A new game mode could be a lot of fun, we'll see :D

Also partnerships will probably be sponsor logo type things, I guess. I'd love some partnerships with exotic/botique car makers or bodykit makers, but that's less likely.
Huh, a sleeper sponsored update like Extreme E maybe? That changes the calculus a bit--who would be worth dumping Donut for?

Alright, about time for the mid-Series prediction for next update! This is just how I'm feelin' about the update personally, after a couple weeks have passed.

We know we're getting four cars in the Playlist, so no Series reward (thank **** for that). If they're being dead-honest there might not be a car pack this update either but I bet there will be, maybe even whatever they had planned for Modern Horizons before now.

But here's what I've been thinkin'; if this theme of 'one theme, then the opposite of that theme in the next update' holds up, then this update will be performance variants of low-rarity cars. I doubt we'll be getting the FL5, unfortunately, so I left it out, but I hope this holds up.

Mass Production, High Performance (or, Fast Common Cars)
Summer: 2021 Subaru WRX (27,000 units produced. We haven't seen the post-facelift WRX in-game yet; with the Yaris being added in Modern Horizons it's clear PG is at least thinking about expanding the Modern Rally class. Tossing this in would make for a good multirole/leaning off-road reward car. Consider this my pick for Headline Car, though.)
Autumn: 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E GT (The Obligatory EV for this update. 150,000 cars produced in total. We have a Mach-E already in-game but quite frankly that one is a track model; we don't have a real street-legal Mach-E, so... at least you'd get Ford marketing dollars this way, even if it is Yet Another EV SUV to Make Cross-Country Builds Out Of.)
Winter: Hyundai Elantra N (~400,000 seventh-gen Elantras produced as of 2023. We've never had a TCR in FH5 without its street model either already in-game or arriving at some point--look at the Lynk and Co 03+ and the MG MG7. This might be another marketing partner car but honestly I wouldn't mind this one as much.)
Spring: 2023 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (I know the 911 isn't exactly a common car, but... we've gotta get this thing sometime.)

My thinking: A Touring Car theme. New items with some sort of TCR partnership. Maybe a tie-in because TCR did launch a series in Mexico this year. We'd also see cars end up in FM at some point. People seem to enjoy the limited touring cars in the game currently.

Seasonal Reward: 2023 #129 Honda Civic Type R TCR - Headline car

Summer: 2023 Honda Civic Type R - bringing both a normal and a TCR version would definitely be a high performance daily double. Would be a heck of a way to introduce the FL5 into the game.

Autumn: 2023 Toyota Corolla GR - has a TCR counterpart as well.

Winter: 2022 Hyundai Elantra N - goes with the Elantra TCR car that was released in Apex All Stars

Spring: 2022 Cupra Leon E-Racer - Electric TCR gets some love too for Forza EV. Another car I considered was the 2023 #116 Ford Focus BTCC, the most recent BTCC champ.

Carpack: Touring Car Stars pack. 7-8 cars. Cars mostly ported from FM just like the GT3 set except for the Corolla:
2017 #33 Mercedes A-Class BTCC
2018 #1 Audi Sport RS3 LMS
2018 #1 Subaru Levorg BTCC - touring car wagon works so well for Horizon
2018 #22 Volkswagen Golf GTI TCR
2019 #7 Peugeot 308 TCR
2020 #73 Honda Civic TCR
2020 #98 Hyundai Veloster N TCR
2023 #32 Toyota GRS Corolla TCR

The Elantra N, Lynk and Co, and MG finally get some sparring partners, as well for TCR-only type races.

Last edited:

BREAKING: James Pumphrey has officially left Donut in order to establish Speeed (with three E's).

Pah, 9 years is nothing. I've been here for 20... @Jordan and @Famine were still in diapers back then :lol:
Decided it was about time I paid for that lifetime membership 👍

As for the new game mode, I'll take anything... as long as its not Eliminator related :lol:

Pah, 9 years is nothing. I've been here for 20... @Jordan and @Famine were still in diapers back then :lol:
Decided it was about time I paid for that lifetime membership 👍

As for the new game mode, I'll take anything... as long as its not Eliminator related :lol:
I'm with you 100% bud, I want nothing Eliminator related either. I really have no love for that game mode. I only play it when required to do so for weekly events.

In other news I'm loving the RF. I'm disappointed it doesn't come with the 1.5ltr engine option, the better engine in a lot of people's eyes. The wife's 2017 RF has the 1.5ltr engine and it's a beautiful peppy, revvy little engine. It's only 130bhp but it's great fun.

Anyhow I intend to spend many hours in the RF across Mexico in the near future.

My thinking: A Touring Car theme. New items with some sort of TCR partnership. Maybe a tie-in because TCR did launch a series in Mexico this year. We'd also see cars end up in FM at some point. People seem to enjoy the limited touring cars in the game currently.

Seasonal Reward: 2023 #129 Honda Civic Type R TCR - Headline car

Summer: 2023 Honda Civic Type R - bringing both a normal and a TCR version would definitely be a high performance daily double. Would be a heck of a way to introduce the FL5 into the game.

Autumn: 2023 Toyota Corolla GR - has a TCR counterpart as well.

Winter: 2022 Hyundai Elantra N - goes with the Elantra TCR car that was released in Apex All Stars

Spring: 2022 Cupra Leon E-Racer - Electric TCR gets some love too for Forza EV. Another car I considered was the 2023 #116 Ford Focus BTCC, the most recent BTCC champ.

Carpack: Touring Car Stars pack. 7-8 cars. Cars mostly ported from FM just like the GT3 set except for the Corolla:
2017 #33 Mercedes A-Class BTCC
2018 #1 Audi Sport RS3 LMS
2018 #1 Subaru Levorg BTCC - touring car wagon works so well for Horizon
2018 #22 Volkswagen Golf GTI TCR
2019 #7 Peugeot 308 TCR
2020 #73 Honda Civic TCR
2020 #98 Hyundai Veloster N TCR
2023 #32 Toyota GRS Corolla TCR

The Elantra N, Lynk and Co, and MG finally get some sparring partners, as well for TCR-only type races.
Oh wow, I didn't even consider that! It might be a little close to Apex Allstars's theming, but it makes sense, if the goal is backporting more FM2023 racecars--what are TCRs if not the last bastion of "see it on the racetrack, buy it from the dealership?"

I'd be very down with this, at least this and Apex Allstars were better executions of the Extreme E update.

Also never knew he was gay.
Maybe I hang around gay people too much (that sounds so wrong, I love my gay friends, family members and co-workers (wait, that also sounds wrong)) but I thought it was fairly obvious. I still think he's a bit of an annoying ****, sexual preferences not considered.

I just remembered, Gamescom runs from August 21st to the 25th this year--and High Performance Dailies goes live on the 15th, six days before. So either they're promoting the update itself there, which would make sense for a long-running game, or this is for the update after High Performance Dailies and we're getting two Series in one update.

I just remembered, Gamescom runs from August 21st to the 25th this year--and High Performance Dailies goes live on the 15th, six days before. So either they're promoting the update itself there, which would make sense for a long-running game, or this is for the update after High Performance Dailies and we're getting two Series in one update.
Won't be the first time they did 2 updates in 1

Won't be the first time they did 2 updates in 1
Oh, of course! It makes the most sense. If that's the case, though, I don't really remember a time that's ever really worked out for the overall quality of both Series; last time I remember was, I think, Japanese Automotive and Fordzathon.

Back