Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 14,375 comments
With regards to the progression system, let's not forget that it won't even matter for spec racing, as long as you own the car you'll be on a level playing field, and the MP focus is going to be on spec racing, as it seems at launch we won't have many options for PI based races

My only complaint with the car-based progression is that if you were to buy a duplicate of the same car, or if you sell the car that was maxed out and buy it again, you'll have to level it up all over again.

I feel like Turn Ten can improve on this with the following, and make the car progression system more permanent:
  • Duplicates will no longer need to be leveled up again.
  • Once the car is fully maxed out to level 50, but you decide to sell it, you don't need to start all over again, and the leveling system will be permanent for that particular car.
Kind of like in Juiced where if you have a car with all prototype mods, any duplicates of it will have these mods carry over, but the downside is, if you sell every example of that car, and decide to buy it again, you will have to get these mods all over again.

That way, there is some small reprieve for those who do not wish to grind with the same car again and again. That way, there's "more fun, less grind".
Im sure I saw in a video,cant think whch one at this time,once youve added parts to your car you can remove the upgrades but still`bank`them.Are these tied to the same car or are they for any car?
To add,heres the vid,though I may have misunderstood the upgrade system.

Last edited:
So with the massive xbox leak, an interesing number has risen for forza which is 4.6 Million monthly users (includes all Forzas between 2014 and 2020):

1695109723681.png

Don't know how accurate this is, but this is for FH2,FH3,FH4 and Fm6/FM7.

Seems much higher than expected.

1695109839023.png

7.4 M people "engaged" with FH4 monthly on GamePass with an average of 12 Hours/month per person.

Last edited:
I personally am most thankful everything is pretty dark. If you're using large OLED screens, the white light is blinding enough to give you a headache. Maybe there could be customization or theme settings but if I had to chose light or dark, it would have to be dark.
I want an OLED in the future, on my Bravia LCD it's really dark but then the races are nice and bright, so I don't wana turn up the brightness to see in the menus but then have it overexposed in the race

I'm sorry but I don't believe this.

Someone driving a car for 1-2 hours is going to be more competent at handling that car than someone who instantly upgrades it and takes it online without any real experience driving the vehicle.

Whether they suck or not is an issue of a general level of driving skill but I think it's hard to claim that they wouldn't at least be better at handling the vehicle after putting time into driving it.

"They will learn nothing from leveling the cars."

Really? They won't learn anything from driving said cars on track for over an hour? I really just cannot believe that.

I honestly do not think this logic would hold up to reality. (Unless you're basing this on people that don't want to learn and just want to crash into walls and hit cars and honestly I don't see those people even putting in this effort and time to upgrade the cars.)

If we took two novices and had them compete against each other; one with zero experience driving the vehicle and one with 1-2 hours of experience. I'm betting on the person with 1-2 hours of experience every time. Not to mention the person with experience got to drive the vehicle in stock form and then better upgraded versions on multiple race tracks until reaching the upgraded version they will be using to compete.

I understand what you're saying, someone could spend that 1-2 hours hitting other cars and cutting corners, although this ignores the new penalty system to prevent this behavior. That person would still be more competent at driving the car while hitting other cars and cutting corners. I really don't think we should base the entire community and the idea of this system on 15 year old GTA kids.

How about we base this on people that are novices that at least want to race properly?

As far as a comment on the general leveling system, I think a big factor will be how much these manufacturer bonuses truly speed up the leveling process. As a ford guy, If I max out 5 ford vehicles will leveling another one take half the time?
I didn't really mean for it to come off as "people suck no one learns" really, but more that people who haven't learned after hours invested in racing games aren't going to suddenly start learning because of the car XP thing. You said that the system "forces" people to learn, my point was more meant to be that you can't force people to learn. I didn't mean for it to sound like no one will learn anything. Will a few learn? Sure, but those people likely wanted to learn anyways and would have learned without an arbitrary barrier to parts on their car.

Saying we should base this on people who are novices that want to learn doesn't really fit here though, as this isn't really some kind of tutorial geared for beginners, and there's no option for experienced players and players who have already done it a few times to skip it. It doesn't really teach anyone anything either, it appears just to be a time sink where the little "perfect corner!" things that FM7 already had now give you XP when they pop up... if they pop up, since it has already been confirmed you can turn those off in the HUD.

If we are talking about someone with zero experience in racing games, then sure an hour or 2 of practice would be huge if you were to pit them against another person with zero experience... But again, it isn't just for people with no experience but also something forced on people with lots of experience as well, where there are diminishing returns. Someone with 3 total hours playing any racing game ever will probably benefit from 2 hours of practice if they go into it trying to learn something. Someone with 100 total hours on FM8 likely won't improve much from another 2 hours of driving around a new car, and people with thousands of hours across a multitude of racing games will see even less benefit... Assuming they still actually want/try to learn after all those hours anyways.

I admit the car XP thing is a little bit of a frustrating subject for me so I do tend to go a little ranty on it, as there are many (and I don't mean anyone specific here, just generally across various chatter about the game in various places) who seem to blow off the impact it has on multiplayer, particularly with organized racing.

As someone who has spent hundreds of hours over the years building and testing and balancing cars for community events, I have been through so many car sets where I have to buy 3 or 4 different cars, then build each one 3 or 4 different ways and run laps with them each time they are rebuilt, only to end up scrapping 1 or 2 of them because they can't be balanced well or get weird fuel economy or something strange. It's a process that takes hours, and the idea of adding in an extra 2 hours of grinding per car before I can start the building process is frustrating, nevermind that sometimes those 2 hours will be wasted when the car isn't viable (which is often because of Forza weirdness, adding to the frustration). Then you add in that each staff member working on the project will have to find time to do the same, and every competitor needs to set aside potentially 2 hours per car they want to test drive pre-season to figure out which one they want to run that season. It also makes recruiting people to race tougher as you will get "oh nah I can't race, I haven't leveled that car up." All together, it's a lot of unnecessary time spent that makes the whole process harder for everyone involved.

"Just wait and see" does kinda work in regards to how the car XP will impact the Builder's Cup and integrate with the practice mode before races and all that, but I don't think there is a need to wait and see how it will impact organized multiplayer because basic math can answer that right now; it's going to add 4 to 6 hours of grinding (per testing staff member) at a minimum for series with multiple cars, and around 2 hours for potential entrants to buy/upgrade a car to run in the series, and that's if they only care about trying one car out of the options (which isn't usually the case, most people try multiple cars).

It's not good for regular multiplayer either though, but the "spec racing" thing, as mentioned above, seems like it will probably be the focus there, at least at first. We all remember what happened the last time there wasn't enough class-based racing in an FM title though...

If there is a manufacturer multiplier for XP or something though that could help. It wouldn't help much for small brands with just a car or two though really, but it would still be better than nothing. I'm also curious to see how the assists work with it, and whether we can do the Horizon 5 thing with auto-drive to level up the cars. It would kinda render the whole thing more pointless, but it could be a way around the grind for those not interested in it.

I'm fully convinced the progression will be tweaked after release, creators have obviously given their feedback over the preview, but given they were only able to sample such a small part of the game, their experience is somewhat limited.

Were going to see in a couple of weeks all of the issues that will arise, and if Turn 10 are true to their word, they will listen to the room and make the necessary changes. Given how FH5 has improved over the years with many QOL fixes, I can't imagine this system will remain static

I'm fully convinced the progression will be tweaked after release, creators have obviously given their feedback over the preview, but given they were only able to sample such a small part of the game, their experience is somewhat limited.

Were going to see in a couple of weeks all of the issues that will arise, and if Turn 10 are true to their word, they will listen to the room and make the necessary changes. Given how FH5 has improved over the years with many QOL fixes, I can't imagine this system will remain static
While I am more optimistic about what you are saying about other aspects of the game being adjusted, my concern with it in regards to the car XP thing is that supposedly some TORA staff members had input about multiplayer stuff, and surely they would have said it would be horrible for what they do and T10 went ahead with it anyways. Lots of people over there are pretty negative about it, including staff, so it's kind of not a great look for the title from the biggest organized group out there.

I do think we will see a change to the way you level up multiple copies of the same car pretty quickly though. That has been panned even by people who otherwise expect to like the system, and the solution is pretty obvious.

In the league I run, we are planning to do some special event nights where we all get together and just have some races in stock cars to work on leveling them up some. It will hopefully get us a head start on leveling up some cars we are looking at as future season options, and should be more fun than if we just have to grind them separately in single player... Kinda trying to make lemonade out of the lemons I guess you could say, but with 500 cars that's 1000-1500 hours, plus another 2 to 3 hours each week for new car pass cars, plus whatever "Forzathon" additions I'm sure we will get.

We haven't seen multiplayer though, so maybe there is some kind of car XP multiplier or something. Also I don't think we have seen whether the "open track day" lobby type will be back, as if you still earn XP/money from those you could probably also level up your car XP in them as well, which could be a more interesting way to do it.

I'm definitely a bit jaded and cynical at this point in general, and while I'm not super hyped, I'm definitely getting more excited as it gets closer to release and went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Series X (that should be here tomorrow!) and am feeling more positive about the other aspects of the game despite this subject being a bit of a grey cloud hanging over it for me.

As a gamer I think it’s frustrating that people are being critical of having to play the game to unlock things. There isn’t an issue here in my opinion, plenty of past games have required gameplay to unlock elements, NFS Underground, Enthusia, even old Gran Turismo games to a certain degree. I really hope a vocal minority and loud influencers don’t take away from what could be an excellent gameplay element.

As a gamer I think it’s frustrating that people are being critical of having to play the game to unlock things. There isn’t an issue here in my opinion, plenty of past games have required gameplay to unlock elements, NFS Underground, Enthusia, even old Gran Turismo games to a certain degree. I really hope a vocal minority and loud influencers don’t take away from what could be an excellent gameplay element.
Its not realistic, and it reeks of mobile game mechanics. Limited amount of Car Points, Per Car Levelling system, as well as In Game Currency. BUT luckily we don't have MTX's or else it would seem more egregious.

I have come to terms with the fact that the Forza Motorsport I loved died after FM6 and I will accept this game for what it is, at launch. (I have a sim rig, and proper PC racing games to play after all)

While I am more optimistic about what you are saying about other aspects of the game being adjusted, my concern with it in regards to the car XP thing is that supposedly some TORA staff members had input about multiplayer stuff, and surely they would have said it would be horrible for what they do and T10 went ahead with it anyways. Lots of people over there are pretty negative about it, including staff, so it's kind of not a great look for the title from the biggest organized group out there.

I do think we will see a change to the way you level up multiple copies of the same car pretty quickly though. That has been panned even by people who otherwise expect to like the system, and the solution is pretty obvious.

In the league I run, we are planning to do some special event nights where we all get together and just have some races in stock cars to work on leveling them up some. It will hopefully get us a head start on leveling up some cars we are looking at as future season options, and should be more fun than if we just have to grind them separately in single player... Kinda trying to make lemonade out of the lemons I guess you could say, but with 500 cars that's 1000-1500 hours, plus another 2 to 3 hours each week for new car pass cars, plus whatever "Forzathon" additions I'm sure we will get.

We haven't seen multiplayer though, so maybe there is some kind of car XP multiplier or something. Also I don't think we have seen whether the "open track day" lobby type will be back, as if you still earn XP/money from those you could probably also level up your car XP in them as well, which could be a more interesting way to do it.

I'm definitely a bit jaded and cynical at this point in general, and while I'm not super hyped, I'm definitely getting more excited as it gets closer to release and went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Series X (that should be here tomorrow!) and am feeling more positive about the other aspects of the game despite this subject being a bit of a grey cloud hanging over it for me.

Taking your feedback on running community races, a solution that may work for that would be to define tunes for the race, so everyone joins, as long as they have the car, and a default tune is applied, so even someone that hasn't levelled up the car can compete, and then they will also accrue points as they race.

I guess at the end of the day, I see where this can fall down, but I'm just optimistic that over time T10 will tweak the system to find the right balance, even if it's not there at launch. I suspect (especially because there has been no word from them yet) that they want to launch with the system as layed out, and see what the response is from the players before making any significant changes.

So with the massive xbox leak, an interesing number has risen for forza which is 4.6 Million monthly users (includes all Forzas between 2014 and 2020):

1695109723681.png

Don't know how accurate this is, but this is for FH2,FH3,FH4 and Fm6/FM7.

Seems much higher than expected.

View attachment 1288303

7.4 M people "engaged" with FH4 monthly on GamePass with an average of 12 Hours/month per person.
Good to see racing in the top 3, in a very busy year for gaming through Covid lockdowns. Looks like around half of all Game Pass subscribers were players, maybe more as figures suggest between 10m (April 2020) to 15m (September 2020). With FY20 ending June 30 2020.

With Rockstar in Edinburgh reportedly making (and marketing) GTA V for $250m as we race around outside, maybe future Forza's will see huge budgets to keep us at the top. See $230m earnings a month from Game Pass being reported, a top 3 title surely warrants massive returns from that for future games.

Its not realistic, and it reeks of mobile game mechanics. Limited amount of Car Points, Per Car Levelling system, as well as In Game Currency. BUT luckily we don't have MTX's or else it would seem more egregious.

I have come to terms with the fact that the Forza Motorsport I loved died after FM6 and I will accept this game for what it is, at launch. (I have a sim rig, and proper PC racing games to play after all)
It only reeks of mobile game mechanics if there is an option to skip the process with money. There is not.

I find this discussion incredibly interesting, it's fun to read how differently people approach these games. My two cents:

One, often in games like GT/FM, the stock cars are the most fun to drive. Why? because the developers tweaked and tested them like that, and the physics engine is built to suit them.

With complex upgrade systems, it's easy to dig yourself into a hole where you slap a bunch of upgrades on a car only to make it faster, but less enjoyable to drive.
This can be both because of setup or simply because you reached a specific edge case where the physics engine craps itself (extreme case: the GT7 wheelie builds).

Secondly, the immense upgrade freedom of Forza always led to boredom for me personally. Like "oh, I could take this car, 4wd swap it, and V12 swap it. Awesome!"
Except it's only awesome the first time, after that it stops feeling special, paralysis of choice kicks in AND you realise that overpowered meme builds all drive the same, more or less. And I welcome FM8 for preventing me from falling into that trap again and forcing me to take things slow.

Fun fact: my friends and I do a thing religiously in GT7 which we call Markenpokal (=Spec cup). We race the same car against each other - stock first, then mildly tuned, then turned up to eleven. It's incredibly fun and gives me confidence that the Forza approach will be fun, too :)

Last edited:
I agree but some people, esp shouty YouTubers seem to enjoy making overpowered cars they can hardly control.

Most people don't really care about watching someone slowly build out and tweak a car to their liking.

It's the same in RPGs where most go for a complete min max build or something ridiculous like pure melee/glass canon etc.

It's what's most entertaining to watch, and for content creators, it's what makes the view count rise.

Regular players might try it once in a while, but go back to making sensible builds.

I still think this system Is good (with tweaks ofc), but his suggestion of having car points be your main restriction instead of car level unlocks sounds potentially more fun and forza-like. It still allows for sensible building as well as a direct LS swap for an otherwise stock miata.
I'm very open to trying this system, but there is a very large sentiment online against this system already, and things like have to re grind a copy of a car, and 2 to 3 hours being unfeasible for someone who is busy, do not help the system in any way.

I absolutely do not buy the "devs are maximizing engagement" argument because this seems like an easy way to push game pass players away (who will have played the game after watching these extreme op builds on youtube). They would have fully adapted FH5's festival playlist (with FOMO) system, because it is a proven method and would drive up engagement without the risk of trying a new system.

Most people don't really care about watching someone slowly build out and tweak a car to their liking.

It's the same in RPGs where most go for a complete min max build or something ridiculous like pure melee/glass canon etc.

It's what's most entertaining to watch, and for content creators, it's what makes the view count rise.

Content creators are what I'm gonna affectionately call "content-brained". They also have to drive up the engagement and bring people to click on their videos. Clickbaity premises with silly tunes is the easy way to do that. That's not for me, that's not how I want to play, and that's not the content I care about. I'm more interested in stuff like Hoki's tuning guide, which taught me a lot and ended up shaping the way I tune cars today. Content-as-reference-material instead of C-grade entertainment. So it comes to no surprise that Hoki's takes have been the most sensible so far.

With that said, content creators produce content that suit their style, sometimes at the expense of how they might really feel, because they arrived to where they are today for a particular reason and are simply building upon their brand, so to speak. That's why creators I might consider annoying, like AR12 or Panthaa, put out takes I find completely uninteresting, if not dishonest, to me. I'm sure that if their livelihoods didn't depend on it and spoke about it in private, I'd hear more nuanced opinions in person; and I'm sure the people behind the content creator persona are far more interesting.

But that's just how it goes. I understand what it's like. Nuance and real people aren't engaging. The best I can do is remind myself the content creator personas aren't my friends, there's no guarantee of honesty through YouTube, and I don't have to accept it at face value.

Last edited:
Chris even said the preview builds that the media received are months old.
The thing i don't get is why give them such old preview builds. And why not display the date of it on the title screen?
showing off the AI in its worst state is not a good publicity state especially knowing that people will nitpick FM8 for console wars or even general doubt. Not to mention that they were waxing poetic about the AI months ago as well.

I am hoping this game plays well on Steam Deck.

Last edited:
I think the one thing that I am looking forward to is T10 supposedly supporting this game for more than a few years. I'm fine with Horizon coming out with new games since they have new locations, but Motorsport is perfect for long term support since they're just adding content. After FM4, I've mostly stopped getting Motorsport games since it feels like the FIFA model where you are paying again for the same cars and tracks, and just new graphics.

I missed the heart of this discussion but I'm trying to wrap my head around something that comes up literally every single time a new Forza comes out. I've been wondering what the deal is with this obsession over "duplicate cars" for a long time now: that people are mad they can only have one copy of a barn find or playlist car, or the fact that they run into a "limit" for garage size that is still 100+ higher than the number of actual cars in the game. My question is this: why do people need duplicate cars when they can save and load multiple tuning and livery configurations for the same car, especially in singleplayer? I understand it might be inconvenient in some multiplayer contexts, but all T10/PG would have to do there is create an option to package upgrade/tuning/livery configurations together and give you the option to quick-swap between them. So many problems could be solved or at least mitigated if you could just have a menu option that takes a couple seconds to switch your car from a rally tune with WRC-replica livery to a drift tune with anime characters on it or whatever. The current system is an inconvenience but it gets treated like a dealbreaker.

Last edited:
I missed the heart of this discussion but I'm trying to wrap my head around something that comes up literally every single time a new Forza comes out. I've been wondering what the deal is with this obsession over "duplicate cars" for a long time now: that people are mad they can only have one copy of a barn find or playlist car, or the fact that they run into a "limit" for garage size that is still 100+ higher than the number of actual cars in the game. My question is this: why do people need duplicate cars when they can save and load multiple tuning and livery configurations for the same car, especially in singleplayer? I understand it might be inconvenient in some multiplayer contexts, but all T10/PG would have to do there is create an option to package upgrade/tuning/livery configurations together and give you the option to quick-swap between them. So many problems could be solved or at least mitigated if you could just have a menu option that takes a couple seconds to switch your car from a rally tune with WRC-replica livery to a drift tune with anime characters on it or whatever. The current system is an inconvenience but it gets treated like a dealbreaker.

That would be a good solution. Sadly people would just find something else to whine about.

I don’t think it should be removed at all personally. I like the concept, I think it has great potential.

But, I do think it likely needs some tweaking. Bodykits tmu, being deep into the unlock system is a bit strange. A lot of people will definitely want to switch up their cars’ looks sooner rather than later. But again, I think it’s something T10 can easily mess with and swap things around.

Last edited:
I don’t think it should be removed at all personally. I like the concept, I think it has great potential.

But, I do think it likely needs some tweaking. Bodykits tmu, being deep into the unlock system is a bit strange. A lot of people will definitely want to switch up their cars’ looks sooner rather than later. But again, I think it’s something T10 can easily mess with and swap things around.
It's funny that they put the body kits/body mods so deep since they barely have any good options for most vehicles in the first place.

I dont get it Forza Motorsport has always been track based also Motorsport existed before Horizon.

Most of us are fans of Motorsport. Really sick of how these influencers are deciding whats best for us.

They can go play Horizon they literally have a game tailored for them.

Preload also available on PC!

The following unannouced new-to-Forza cars can be found:
  • 2020 Acura ARX05
  • 2020 KTM X-Bow GT2
  • 2020 Audi R8
  • 2023 Cadillac #02 Cadillac Racing V-Series.R
  • 2019 Dodge Challenger TA (?)
  • 2019 Ginetta #6 LMP1
  • 1991 Nissan R391 CP #23
  • 2017 Oreca #38 07
  • 2022 Subaru BRZ
  • 2018 Golf #22 WTCR