Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 14,235 comments
So I had a gander through the vehicle file for day one that was posted in here and noticed a NTF car that everyone overlooked

File name is
FOR_15_Mustang_91

I have a sneaking suspicion it the 1991 Ford Mustang IMSA GTO

Attachments

• Ford-Roush-Mustang-IMSA-GTO-153673.png
    Ford-Roush-Mustang-IMSA-GTO-153673.png
    237.7 KB · Views: 16
Because you didn't Google it correctly. Google Whistler Radar Mustang and you will find several pictures of the correct car.

It's not a rebadge. The Cougar isn't even the same platform as the Mustang, it shares it's platform with the Thunderbird.
...although in all fairness, that's immaterial, as both cars were tubeframe silhouette racers with very little relation with their production counterparts.

That's the Mercury Cougar XR-7 (MRC_15_XR7_90) from the year before. This is what I'm talking about:

View attachment 1288532

1991 Ford #15 Whistler Radar Mustang (FOR_15_Mustang_91)

They may look similar, but the differences are incredibly obvious.

I literally copy pasted into google images, and it comes up with the Mercury Cougar in FM7 though :lol:

If people are happy with a reskinned Mercury and calling it new, thats fine.

Last edited:
I literally copy pasted into google images, and it comes up with the Mercury Cougar in FM7 though :lol:

If people are happy with a reskinned Mercury and calling it new, thats fine.
Funny, because I did the same thing and the first 4 images are of the Mustang. There's only 2 of that particular Mercury and the rest are either a regular Mustang or unrelated.

It's not a rebadged Mercury. It's a different engine as well. The Cougars used a V6 or a V8 depending on the track. The Mustangs were 4 cylinders.

Funny, because I did the same thing and the first 4 images are of the Mustang. There's only 2 of that particular Mercury and the rest are either a regular Mustang or unrelated.

It's not a rebadged Mercury. It's a different engine as well. The Cougars used a V6 or a V8 depending on the track. The Mustangs were 4 cylinders.
That's the Mercury Cougar XR-7 (MRC_15_XR7_90) from the year before. This is what I'm talking about:

View attachment 1288532

1991 Ford #15 Whistler Radar Mustang (FOR_15_Mustang_91)

They may look similar, but the differences are incredibly obvious.
Interesting! Great to see some folks correcting the bold when it comes to cars. It's always a thrill to see. :D

Anyways, can not wait to drive it to find out it truly isn't a "reskin".

That Moostang was in FM7

Look, I know people have corrected you already, but how on Earth do you come to the conclusion that's a Mustang?! :crazy:
I mean no offense, but there's a cougar badge on the grill, 3 Cougar decals on the front, 1 Cougar decal on the windshield, and a big flippin' Cougar decal on the side! All of that should've told you that isn't a Mustang.

Last edited:
Look, I know people have corrected you already, but how on Earth do you come to the conclusion that's a Mustang?! :crazy:
I mean no offense, but there's a cougar badge on the grill, 3 Cougar decals on the front, 1 Cougar decal on the windshield, and a big flippin' Cougar decal on the side! All of that should've told you that isn't a Mustang.
Just thought you would add to it then :lol:

I don't know how many times I can reply with the same thing. I don't know that Motorsport very well, and if Google is confused, I am sure to be.

image_2023-09-20_170313872.png

Last edited:

I don't know how many times I can reply with the same thing. I don't know that Motorsport very well, and if Google is confused, I am sure to be.

View attachment 1288594
Yeah, I got that part. But even with google confused, I can still pick apart a Cougar from a Mustang just by looking at the decals and emblems on a car. :lol:

Like you shouldn't just copy/paste any random picture you see from a google image search, you still gotta try using your eyes to decipher what's correct.

Well, after deciding to dig around there are quite a lot of new rims on the files.

Here's the recap
1. Pretty much all of FH5 rims are also in the files of FM, except for ROTIFORM Aerodisc with graphic variants. (White plain version still available)
2. Just for comparison, FH5 has 391 rims currently on the files, meanwhile FM has 567 rims. (in game count are slightly lower since some of default/stock car wheel are also listed)
3. The rims i listed below are the ones that are not on FH5 files (i might miss some) but listed on FM files. (There are a lot)

Attachments

• rotiforms.png
    rotiforms.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 9
  • speedline.png
    speedline.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 8
  • tenzo.png
    tenzo.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 7
  • tenzo2.png
    tenzo2.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 9
  • tsw.png
    tsw.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 8
  • volk.png
    volk.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 7
  • volks.png
    volks.png
    465.5 KB · Views: 8
  • watanabe.png
    watanabe.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 8
  • weds.png
    weds.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 6
  • weds2.png
    weds2.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 7
  • wel.png
    wel.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 8
  • momo2.png
    momo2.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 7
  • momo.png
    momo.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 7
  • lexani.png
    lexani.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 8
  • ats.png
    ats.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 8
  • avanti.png
    avanti.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 8
  • avanti2.png
    avanti2.png
    2 KB · Views: 6
  • BBS.png
    BBS.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 9
  • hamann.png
    hamann.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 8
  • HRE4.png
    HRE4.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 6
  • HRE5.png
    HRE5.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Hres.png
    Hres.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 6
  • KMC.png
    KMC.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Koenig.png
    Koenig.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Koenig2.png
    Koenig2.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 6
Really sad we've lost the Jaguar XJS. Especially in Motorsport as it's a Group A touring car legend.
We only got it for like two games then it was gone. Was always my go-to car, I doubt we'll see it back. Shame.
I don't see the SVX or Honda's 94 Prelude/CRX Mugen either, but the latter have traditionally been unlock cars. I'm thinking a lot of the missing cars will show up in a format similar to the Festival Playlist in Horizon.

One Alfa is quite weird though lol.

View attachment 1288594

Google is not confused, it's IMSA history that requires a bit of research.

The #15 Mustang car with the Whistler livery participated to the 1991 IMSA GT championship, and was driven by Mark Martin, Robby Gordon, and Wally Dallenbach Jr.

91_ford-roush-mustang_15-dv-18-mh-01-800.jpg

The very similar-looking Cougar cars had a near-identical livery, but participated to the 1990 IMSA GT Championship, bearing either the number #6 or the #9 depending on the driver.

imsa-1990-03.jpg

Here's a #6...

imsa-1990-04.jpg

... and here's a #9.

Both cars belonged to the same team.

As far as I can tell, the Cougar-branded #15 is an amalgamation of the two. There is effectively no difference besides branding and body shape (EDIT: thanks @Stang616 for pointing that out), they're both IMSA GTO cars from 1990-1991.

Last edited:

View attachment 1288594
Even from that you can tell they are two different cars and the second picture even says Cougar on the caption.

Headlights, hood, roof, grill and front bumper all make it clear that the Whistler Radar Mustang is a different car from the Cougar and not just a "reskin."

It's still very odd. The Forza car doesn't seem fully accurate to the real-world IMSA cars. Even the one in FM6/FM7 is described as having been Pete Halsmer's car... in 1989. But he drove the #16, not the #15, and it's not even close to the same livery... but it is the correct body shape, hood scoop and all.

imsa-1989-01.jpg

Real-world 1989 IMSA car

latest

Forza car

I'm sure this was pointed out before when FM7 came out but I hope they fixed the livery... Otherwise, I guess it's livery editor time. Again.

My process in most Forza games since FM4 has been to buy a Sagaris as my first car, with the exceptions being games I've never played or FM7 (locked behind the miserable specialty dealer system). Guess I'll just go for the One:1 if it's survived the purge.

It's still very odd. The Forza car doesn't seem fully accurate to the real-world IMSA cars. Even the one in FM6/FM7 is described as having been Pete Halsmer's car... in 1989. But he drove the #16, not the #15, and it's not even close to the same livery... but it is the correct body shape, hood scoop and all.

imsa-1989-01.jpg

Real-world 1989 IMSA car

latest

Forza car

I'm sure this was pointed out before when FM7 came out but I hope they fixed the livery... Otherwise, I guess it's livery editor time. Again.
The car in Forza is the '90 car and not '89. From what I read, the description states he drove in '89 then left and Robby Gordon took over in '90.

The car in Forza is the '90 car and not '89. From what I read, the description states he drove in '89 then left and Robby Gordon took over in '90.

But that's the thing. The body matches the shape of the '89. The '90 cars I posted above; they have the Whistler livery but not the same body, not to mention the wrong car number.

Last edited:
From the gone gold article:

"To celebrate this milestone, we’re excited to reveal the full list of Forza Motorsport achievements you can unlock on Xbox and Steam starting October 5, as well as the loyalty rewards that will be gifted to everyone who has played a previous Forza Motorsport or Forza Horizon game: the 2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS Forza Edition and the Faithful Fan Driver Suit. Forza Motorsport players also receive the 2024 Chevrolet Corvette E-Ray in Forza Horizon 5."

From the gone gold article:

"To celebrate this milestone, we’re excited to reveal the full list of Forza Motorsport achievements you can unlock on Xbox and Steam starting October 5, as well as the loyalty rewards that will be gifted to everyone who has played a previous Forza Motorsport or Forza Horizon game: the 2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS Forza Edition and the Faithful Fan Driver Suit. Forza Motorsport players also receive the 2024 Chevrolet Corvette E-Ray in Forza Horizon 5."
This means that FM8 has six known Forza editions. I really hope these are the only Forza editions so far, because they take up unnecessary space in the car list. In my opinion, an oddball car would be a lesser evil compared to a Forza edition car.

Last edited:
But that's the thing. The body matches the shape of the '89. The '90 cars I posted above; they have the Whistler livery but not the same body, not to mention the wrong car number.
That could be because of how the car they've scanned was restored. It might have been restored with a mismatch of parts/liveries. For instance; the Porsche 962 in Rothmans colors that was in FM7 has the wrong rear end, it didn't race at Le Mans in period with that rear config. Porsche restored the car with whatever spare parts were left from the program at the time, and so every game who's modeled the #17 962 in Rothmans colors has the car wrong with a high downforce wing instead of the low drag one.

Latest Posts

Back