Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 14,372 comments
I'm driving with cockpit camera and it is just not polished enough, I have some feeling this is lot older game...

View attachment 1321530

What do you think?

This is what I get on my Series X. I'm not sure which older game it's supposed to look worse than, bearing in mind this picture has no HDR.

7da43527-2e5f-4e49-bc7a-6cd4a5d9646b.png

Last edited:
I'm driving with cockpit camera and it is just not polished enough, I have some feeling this is lot older game...

View attachment 1321530

What do you think?
Have you adjusted your brightness level? When I started playing FM '23 in October, on XSX, everything looked quite flat and washed out. When I adjusted the brightness all the way down it looked way better. The default setting seems to be set way too high.

I've also stuck to performance-mode since playing in performance RT-mode makes some textures look a lot worse, in my opinion.

This is what I get on my Series X. I'm not sure which older game it's supposed to look worse than bearing in mind this picture has no HDR.
No HDR also makes the image look flat and dull in my opinion. Shame so few people have proper HDR screens...

I'd personally rather see smaller and more focused/"correct" classes that are more competitive than these big classes that take multiple categories of cars into them. Since T10 seem to just be using the same tools we have in game to balance things, they simply will never be able to balance 6, 8, 10+ cars (with some of them from different regulations) in a satisfactory way. A class of 3 cars where any of them can win is better than a class of 10 cars where 2 can win, 4 or 5 are okayish, 2 are awful, and 1 can only win on a specific track.
I do agree with this, some of class need to be made smaller or even spec single car series
The only exeption for that i think would be certain classes of street cars (Saloon, hatches, Sedans, Muscle...) and maybe touring car, but other racing classes should get this treatment indeed

I wonder if TA2 car's would be a better fit into the GT class, they could actually serve a really good purpose, as they should have wider appeal due to being exported into a number of series outside of the US
I have a theory that eventually they will add TA2 bodies to race alongside the existing TA1 cars

View attachment 1321608
View attachment 1321610
View attachment 1321611
View attachment 1321612

This is the graphics I get in Forza Motorsport 2023. Seriously.
If I turn the graphics all the way down. :) Quite impressive how low they go actually.
When the game first launched this is almost exactly how it looked for me. But 4 updates later it looks a lot better. Still not as sharp as it could be like a true GT7 competitor should be but its ok for now. Car interiors, track roads and car colors needs the most work on the detail/color department.

I'm on Series S, HDR 6 month old TV.
My 2 main "gripes" on visuals are:
1. The slight blur on anything more than one car length ahead. I often feel like I need to change my specs when I first start playing as every other car looks out of focus.
2. Specifically, the screen tearing on Grand Oak Raceway where every fence on the circuit is littered with bits that seem to flicker madly. It's extremely distracting during the race. None of the other circuits have anywhere near this level of issues. I know nothing about the technical side, but it looks poorly optimised to me. Am I the only one to encounter this?

I'm not a graphics obsessive, but these 2 things are definite issues for me. I'd much rather have downgraded detail and a clear image than this.

Considering that next month FH5 will add some Chinese cars, do you guys think that they will try add some Chinese cars to FM too?

I got suprised myself to know that Forza is quite popular in China (maybe the only franchise nowadays asides minecraft that makes sucess there)

Many of the accounts doing "gotcha" comparisons of FM/GT7 are on PC and setting detail to low, it's normally extremely obvious because they set "Dynamic Render Quality" to low, which makes the grass flat. I've even seen someone do the whole "look at the terrible quality tree's in the distance", like yeah mate that's what happens when you want to run the game on a potato, even Series S looks better.
Ok, but I don't see why that would make a user be glad that he's playing on XSX over PC, like that's what the PC version looks like overall lol.

Considering that next month FH5 will add some Chinese cars, do you guys think that they will try add some Chinese cars to FM too?

I got suprised myself to know that Forza is quite popular in China (maybe the only franchise nowadays asides minecraft that makes sucess there)
HiPhi A could be fun, 1.5 megawatts sounds wind turbine grade; https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/a-four-seat-electric-hypercar-revs-22000rpm-meet-hiphi-a

Some MG could be good, are there many other Chinese sports cars out or on the way? From a quick Google, yeah most of these look fun: https://www.hotcars.com/10-coolest-chinese-sports-cars-you-never-knew-existed

Ok, but I don't see why that would make a user be glad that he's playing on XSX over PC, like that's what the PC version looks like overall lol.
If I can get better graphics than a low end PC for the overall price of a high end graphics card I'm happy that buying a console wasn't a total waste of cash. Given unlimited funds of course I'd be happier with an uber rig but I don't have them.

Last edited:
Have you adjusted your brightness level? When I started playing FM '23 in October, on XSX, everything looked quite flat and washed out. When I adjusted the brightness all the way down it looked way better. The default setting seems to be set way too high.

I've also stuck to performance-mode since playing in performance RT-mode makes some textures look a lot worse, in my opinion.
Had a look at this and adjusting brightness all the way down helped the game look a little bit better on my non-HDR monitor. The reason I'm not buying a new one is, well, it'd only be for FM2023 since nothing else I play uses it. Also don't like the ads that come with "smart" TV's.

During this session I think I figured out why photo mode feels so unpolished to use, it's actually only running at 30FPS! 30FPS would be fine if it wasn't for the slight input lag as well. Just not great in general, I hope they polish this in the future.

Last edited:
Had a look at this and adjusting brightness all the way down helped the game look a little bit better on my non-HDR monitor. The reason I'm not buying a new one is, well, it'd only be for FM2023 since nothing else I play uses it.
My screen is a Samsung 4K TV from 2017. (Edit: Bought it together with the Xbox One X, to be able to play FM7 in 4K). Although the technical specification says it has an early form of HDR none of the games I've been playing seems to recognize that and everything runs in SDR. Changing the visual mode to "natural", in the TV settings menu, helped FH5 look a lot less washed out. In FM '23 the brightness setting did the trick, like I mentioned above.

Since the screen still works perfectly fine I can't justify spending lots of cash on a new one just to get HDR. Perhaps I'm a bit old fashioned, but I still live by the device "wear out your old things before getting new ones".

@meganinja I've no problem with Chinese cars as long as they are appropriate for track use and fit with the Motorsport-vibe.

Last edited:
Your approach is good, but I should point out that for me HDR has become a very beneficial technology with a modern proper HDR screen. I would definitely put quality HDR at the top of a screen buying list now, even above high refresh rates and other such things.

At first HDR screens didn't have good colour appearance in the PC desktop (often nasty grey/silver appearance instead of white) and needed quite a lot of tuning to get right in games too. But that changed by around 2022 and all HDR screens I've used since then give good colour accuracy by default in Windows or macOS. This means you can leave HDR permanently enabled if you want so you can watch HDR movies easily, and it will automatically use HDR or SDR as needed depending on the game you are playing. Life becomes really easy when you don't have to think about it and it'll just use HDR or SDR as needed with no downsides.

It's also pretty clear to me from playing in HDR on both Xbox Series X and PC that games like FH5 and FM23 were built with HDR in mind and look noticeably flatter if you play them in SDR. When you are playing a game which aims to be somewhat photorealistic, the lighting model makes a HUGE difference, and HDR is very important in achieving the lighting model the creator intended. This is true of most Xbox games, but the PC is also gradually getting there too now.

"It’ll be a jam-packed, including a sneak peek of Update 5 for Forza Motorsport, the Lunar New Year series update for Forza Horizon 5, Claymore MasterT representing some great drifting events for our Community Spotlight, and topped off with the 2023 Golden Tank Award winners!"

FM should be getting the Update 5 on 13th Feb, if my math is right.

Last edited:

"It’ll be a jam-packed, including a sneak peek of Update 5 for Forza Motorsport, the Lunar New Year series update for Forza Horizon 5, Claymore MasterT representing some great drifting events for our Community Spotlight, and topped off with the 2023 Golden Tank Award winners!"

What are those cars? My guess is some EV SUV that won't make it to FM anyway but just interested.

What are those cars? My guess is some EV SUV that won't make it to FM anyway but just interested.
its a lynk & co 05+.
2.0L Turbo 4 cyl 265hp FWD SUV Coupe thing.

Should be accompanied by the MG7 (2.0L Turbo 4 cyl 257hp FWD Sedan, like an accord) Looks like an Elantra N and an RS7 had a baby:

1706035130006.png

1706035174264.png
1706035196719.png

And also the MG Cyberster (500hp AWD EV Convertible)

1706035228847.png

1706035255110.png

The Cyberster has a fair chance of making it into FM. Wouldn't mind the other two either.

Last edited:

That date is about right which tells me update 5 might be bigger then 4 or have something game breaking if they are teasing it already.

About all of the XBS and XBX resolutions, I've already had an XBS and different TVs and now I am on XBX...

Started with XBS paired with a 50" Hisense U6G.
Now I using XBX paired with 65" Vizio M-Series.

FM23 Graphics on XBS was washed out regardless of TV and settings. I found turning Dolby HDR off and adjusting TV HDR settings best. I then bought and a XBX because I just wasn't happy with the picture. I currently am running HDR turned OFF on the Vizio with brightness turned up. I'm very happy with the picture now. Also I am just running in performance mode. Cars no longer blur when in the distance. Picture is very smooth. IMO it is the settings you run on your TV that can bring the largest differences on the XBX.

Biggest differences between XBX and XBS...washed out look especially when races take place at night or in rain. Frame rate seems much better with XBX and smoother; no crazy lag with big accidents. XBS would sometimes just shut down if a big wreck happened on screne for me. Liveries show 500x more definition on XBX without much pixelation.

About all of the XBS and XBX resolutions, I've already had an XBS and different TVs and now I am on XBX...

Started with XBS paired with a 50" Hisense U6G.
Now I using XBX paired with 65" Vizio M-Series.

FM23 Graphics on XBS was washed out regardless of TV and settings. I found turning Dolby HDR off and adjusting TV HDR settings best. I then bought and a XBX because I just wasn't happy with the picture. I currently am running HDR turned OFF on the Vizio with brightness turned up. I'm very happy with the picture now. Also I am just running in performance mode. Cars no longer blur when in the distance. Picture is very smooth. IMO it is the settings you run on your TV that can bring the largest differences on the XBX.

Biggest differences between XBX and XBS...washed out look especially when races take place at night or in rain. Frame rate seems much better with XBX and smoother; no crazy lag with big accidents. XBS would sometimes just shut down if a big wreck happened on screne for me. Liveries show 500x more definition on XBX without much pixelation.
TAA was a big mistake on XSS, it's just WAY too low resolution and introduces so much ghosting and blur. They should've kept MSAA for that version

I'm on Series S, HDR 6 month old TV.
My 2 main "gripes" on visuals are:
1. The slight blur on anything more than one car length ahead. I often feel like I need to change my specs when I first start playing as every other car looks out of focus.
2. Specifically, the screen tearing on Grand Oak Raceway where every fence on the circuit is littered with bits that seem to flicker madly. It's extremely distracting during the race. None of the other circuits have anywhere near this level of issues. I know nothing about the technical side, but it looks poorly optimised to me. Am I the only one to encounter this?

I'm not a graphics obsessive, but these 2 things are definite issues for me. I'd much rather have downgraded detail and a clear image than this.

TAA was a big mistake on XSS, it's just WAY too low resolution and introduces so much ghosting and blur. They should've kept MSAA for that version
I didn't know why there was so much blur, but if that is the reason, I agree 100%. As stated above, I'd MUCH rather have a clear picture with lower detail on Series S.

Based on my experience with their game engine in FH5, 4x MSAA and TAA use relatively similar performance, with differing results, so they probably wouldn't have got much better frame rates unless they went to 2x MSAA or worse...

Lowered contrast, as you told me, to 0.5 (or 0.05 - not sure) and cockpit looks much better.
Or Ferrari is more detailed than Audi...
Playing on Performance, but thinking about going to the Visual, since I don't care very much about 30 or 60fps.

f0c4af23-9d82-4c33-9959-9379469ac745_copy_1920x1080.png

Back