Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 14,351 comments
Can anyone tell me the method of driving reward cars before they’re actually released? I believe there’s a glitch in free play that allows you to do this.

Does anyone else get annoyed every time they drive around this corner on Nordschleife? It's like it's a polygonal shape, with straight sections of kerb joined by a much smaller radius joint. It really affects the ability to spot the apex, as you have to apex at one of the joints, due to how it sticks out. Also, comparing to real life footage, you can clearly see that the cross sectional shape of the kerb is all wrong. They claimed they had updated the kerb accuracy, but the kerb on this particular corner seems the same to me as when the track was added to the game, and I just find it really annoying every time I drive it.
Yes, it often causes me to early-apex it by accident which throws me wide for the exit, where the exit kerb has some wonky slippery physics in some cars. Our league had a race there where we had a funny moment where I was leading, did that, tracked out onto the wonky kerb which sent my TCR Audi (aka FWD, slicks and some downforce) into a 45 degree slide pointed to the inside barrier, the guy behind me saw it happen and thought I was gonna hit the inside wall so he drove onto the kerb to try to go around behind me which then caused him to get in a half spin behind me, and the guy in 3rd place then did the same thing. Fortunately we all caught it with no meeting of Barry R. and only lost a second or two of our gap to 4th, but it was an impressive synchronized Forza physics fail.

Their claimed updated kerb accuracy was a joke, as they only changed 2 kerbs physically (raised exit apex kerb of Adenauer Forst, lowered first apex of Wippermann), the rest they just changed the dirt/dust around them a bit. The Wippermann change was a big positive change so they do deserve some credit, but overall the kerbs at the track are still all kinds of inaccurate.

Then seeing the Pennzoil R33 is promising because I'm sure they will add the NSX and Supra JGTC cars and hopefully even the Chrysler Viper and Mclaren F1 from the same era down the road, why have the Skyline by itself.
You are waaaay more optimistic than I can muster at this point on that front. My optimism about them choosing sensible/logical cars died with FM5 when they added the '69 Boss 302 Mustang yet removed the '69 Z/28 Camaro, and they really haven't done much to restore it over the years. Missing obvious rivals, similarly equipped competing cars, and competing race cars from the same technical era have been things these games have struggled with for years.

If all the events they've added over the past year or so weren't time limited, this game would have a very impressive single player mode. I get it, I get why they're time limited, but I feel like they're going for short term small wins over a longer term gain. Especially with how poorly the game was received on release, if the career events they were adding permanent, the game would just building and building on momentum. Those who do play each monthly series, I feel are the same people, the people who will play it anyway, whereas if they had added these events permanently, those who left the game at release could comeback to basically a whole new games worth of content. They'd be like a fresh new player entirely. To me that'd more successfully build the player base and create goodwill in the broader motorsport game community, especially if they're wanting this game to survive for years. I just don't see how having the the currently small base be the only ones coming back to the game each month will do that.
If they just added them to the game without the time limit though, I think a ton of people would probably just uninstall the game and go "meh I will check back in 8 months and see if the game is good then" as they wouldn't be worried about missing out on anything, and then their numbers would look even worse.

I'm a bit disappointed at the sound of the C7.R race car. I was expecting more of a rumble instead of a shop vac sort of sound.
Yeah its sound is pathetic, especially compared to FM6 where it was one of the best sounding cars in the game. LS swaps kinda get the same result, sounding like church vans instead of muscle cars.

Can anyone tell me the method of driving reward cars before they’re actually released? I believe there’s a glitch in free play that allows you to do this.
It was detailed earlier in this thread by someone else after I posted the (simpler) private lobby version, but I just posted it again in the Update 11 thread:

You can drive it in Private Multiplayer lobbies as a rental car by just setting the car rules page to "Nissan" and then "#23 Pennzoil Nismo" etc for whatever the car is. Also works with the Aston GTE and returning Ferrari 458 GTC, as it works with all unreleased cars whether they are prizes or featured cars. It also seems to work with DLC cars too sometimes even when you don't have the DLC as we got it to work one night for a buddy, but basically everyone I know has the DLC now so haven't been able to test it further.

You can do the same thing in Free Play, but you first have to load into Free Play in a different car, start a race and drive across the start line, then "Exit" and "To event menu" and then you can put in the restriction.

It will usually just put you straight into the car and you can start the race with the car you restricted it to. Sometimes it will be a bit finicky and give you a warning about not being in the right car or whatever but on the multiplayer side at least you can just push B to ignore them.

Obviously as a rental car you can't tune it or paint it or upgrade it or anything, although you can at least change tire compounds.

It's a trick that has been in the game since launch.

Last edited:
You are waaaay more optimistic than I can muster at this point on that front. My optimism about them choosing sensible/logical cars died with FM5 when they added the '69 Boss 302 Mustang yet removed the '69 Z/28 Camaro, and they really haven't done much to restore it over the years. Missing obvious rivals, similarly equipped competing cars, and competing race cars from the same technical era have been things these games have struggled with for years.
You're probably right, I do over assume sometimes when I see them add a particular car and it's just me thinking if I was in their shoes I would do whats best for the players and car divisions. It would make sense to add rival cars for a lonely racecar but it's T10 they may not even go that far. I still think they will eventually but won't be mad too mad if they dont.

Last edited:
You're probably right, I do over assume sometimes when I see them add a particular car and it's just me thinking if I was in their shoes I would do whats best for the players and car divisions. It would make sense to add rival cars for a lonely racecar but it's T10 they may not even go that far. I still think they will eventually but won't be mad too mad if they dont.
I wasn't really trying to imply the optimism was bad, it's kinda fun to play the "if I was the guy at Turn 10 with a sharp stick jabbing them and yelling at them to put things in the game, what would I choose?" game.

It would make a lot of sense and would definitely be what is best for the racing as it allows for better matched divisions and the ability to create more sensible races (in single and multiplayer), as well as all the other bonuses for things like photography and livery creation and stuff. To be somewhat fair to them, it's complicated with licensing and sourcing cars and all that, but at the same time other games manage to accomplish it better than they do so it's not an unreasonable expectation I think.

Supposedly this car was scanned from the Nissan heritage collection, so obviously an NSX or Supra wasn't available there. Would be cool to get them, or maybe some GT300 cars to go with them. The Nissan heritage collection also has a 1998 S14 GT300 car...

Sadly JGTC/SGT cars are pretty underrepresented in games. Sure, some GT500 icons make it to things, and previous Gran Turismos had several of the GT300 oddities, but there are so many interesting cars that ran there over the years that would be awesome additions to really any game out there, but we just don't really get them for whatever reason.

Free Play - Advanced Event Setup - Drive any car you own or rent anything, then quit the back to the event setup menu, then go to Event Setup - Cars - then find the car from there.

If all the events they've added over the past year or so weren't time limited, this game would have a very impressive single player mode. I get it, I get why they're time limited, but I feel like they're going for short term small wins over a longer term gain. Especially with how poorly the game was received on release, if the career events they were adding permanent, the game would just building and building on momentum. Those who do play each monthly series, I feel are the same people, the people who will play it anyway, whereas if they had added these events permanently, those who left the game at release could comeback to basically a whole new games worth of content. They'd be like a fresh new player entirely. To me that'd more successfully build the player base and create goodwill in the broader motorsport game community, especially if they're wanting this game to survive for years. I just don't see how having the the currently small base be the only ones coming back to the game each month will do that.

Yes, it often causes me to early-apex it by accident which throws me wide for the exit, where the exit kerb has some wonky slippery physics in some cars. Our league had a race there where we had a funny moment where I was leading, did that, tracked out onto the wonky kerb which sent my TCR Audi (aka FWD, slicks and some downforce) into a 45 degree slide pointed to the inside barrier, the guy behind me saw it happen and thought I was gonna hit the inside wall so he drove onto the kerb to try to go around behind me which then caused him to get in a half spin behind me, and the guy in 3rd place then did the same thing. Fortunately we all caught it with no meeting of Barry R. and only lost a second or two of our gap to 4th, but it was an impressive synchronized Forza physics fail.

Their claimed updated kerb accuracy was a joke, as they only changed 2 kerbs physically (raised exit apex kerb of Adenauer Forst, lowered first apex of Wippermann), the rest they just changed the dirt/dust around them a bit. The Wippermann change was a big positive change so they do deserve some credit, but overall the kerbs at the track are still all kinds of inaccurate.

If they just added them to the game without the time limit though, I think a ton of people would probably just uninstall the game and go "meh I will check back in 8 months and see if the game is good then" as they wouldn't be worried about missing out on anything, and then their numbers would look even worse.

Yeah its sound is pathetic, especially compared to FM6 where it was one of the best sounding cars in the game. LS swaps kinda get the same result, sounding like church vans instead of muscle cars.

It was detailed earlier in this thread by someone else after I posted the (simpler) private lobby version, but I just posted it again in the Update 11 thread:
I don't see how the time gated events will ever change unless Turn10 find another way to get people logging on. I think they are **** scared that what @Morbid65 says is true, that people will just switch off for good without the FOMO. And with the current status of the game and the lack of tangible major improvements, I agree with this.

But the counter argument remains, in my opinion, make a game enjoyable and you don't need FOMO.

For the single player experience, there has been some tweaking around the edges, but really the only major changes (other than graphics) between launch and update 11 are (in my opinion):
1. Removing the grind for upgrades
2. Adding new tracks; and
3. Replacing one Forzathon of 16/32 identical races (that's what the Featured Tours basically are, after all) with another (all that changes is the cars used in these identical races)

This is where their problem lies, in my opinion. Their single player update strategy "appears" (to many or most people watching from outside) to be limited to tracks and forzathons - that can't help but make the game seem stale, especially if that really is their plan for the next 3/4/5 years (even more so when many features were not available at release which were available in prior games).

Forza Horizon 5 has its own issues (the weekly car FOMO is awful in my opinion) but still, series 37 has FOUR new-to-Forza cars (compared with TWO for FM23 series 11), and update 38 has a new game mode!

So far, after 11 months, the number of new game modes in FM23 is... zero, nada, nothing.

It's so easy to think of improvements, which makes it very frustrating to me. If Turn10 can't think of something original to add, then steal from elsewhere. Grid Legends has Time Attack, Eliminator and Drift modes, and that's just one game, for an example.

(And, a big issue for me personally, fix the UI which is completely unintuitive).

I thought they were changing up what the narrator would say for the last lap of a race? Wasn't it supposed to be the number lap the last lap was? Last night I got a mix of "last lap" or 'final lap".

If T10 insists on making me spend my time with the game doing FOMO events, I wish they'd stop doing a whole series of short/club layouts.
Bored Bugs Bunny GIF by MOODMAN

I thought they were changing up what the narrator would say for the last lap of a race? Wasn't it supposed to be the number lap the last lap was? Last night I got a mix of "last lap" or 'final lap".
Am I the only one who finds Lil' Laplap intensely annoying? She contributes nothing at all to the game, and then chimes in with the inane "We finished XXX" crap at the end? Who asked for this feature? And yet I have to have her enabled so I can here the sometimes interesting series introductions...

Am I the only one who finds Lil' Laplap intensely annoying? She contributes nothing at all to the game, and then chimes in with the inane "We finished XXX" crap at the end? Who asked for this feature? And yet I have to have her enabled so I can here the sometimes interesting series introductions...
It only took 20 seconds to know to turn that crap off and never think about it again. :lol:

I like the idea of it, I think flagship games like forza and gt should implement a voiced race engineer/spotter like the crew chief app people use for iracing and the like. But you're absolutely right that the current implementation is basically useless.

I like it. I wish she would get more involved. The crew chief aspect was one of my favorite things from PC2. I liked hearing the messages. F1 '24 has a good pit wall interaction.

Last edited:
I like it. I wish she would get more involved. The crew chief aspect was one of my favorite things from PC2. I liked hearing the messages. F1 '24 has a good pit wall interaction.
But that's the thing - she contributes exactly nothing to the experience or the races themselves, and then claims part of the victory. Like, no actually disembodied voice... WE didn't finish P1 - I did!

But that's the thing - she contributes exactly nothing to the experience or the races themselves, and then claims part of the victory. Like, no actually disembodied voice... WE didn't finish P1 - I did!
Didn’t they remove this with last month’s update? She’s still chiming in saying things like “three to go” and “last lap”, but on the post-race screen I’m quite sure they have removed her comments regarding finishing position. Now she simply says “well done” and stuff like that. But yes, it’s useless and only serves to carry Forza’s upbeat presentation style.

Didn’t they remove this with last month’s update? She’s still chiming in saying things like “three to go” and “last lap”, but on the post-race screen I’m quite sure they have removed her comments regarding finishing position. Now she simply says “well done” and stuff like that. But yes, it’s useless and only serves to carry Forza’s upbeat presentation style.
They may have done so yeah - I did notice fewer of her grating interjections.
I would like her more involved like the crew chief in PCARS, like distance from other positions, weather changes, vehicle damage, etc
If that were the case I wouldn't object to her presence, maybe some feedback on where time could be gained in certain sectors etc too. In fact I suspect something like a proper crew chief/spotter role may have been the original intent.

Blah, since I've been having issues with the game on PC (crashes, stuttering home screen, etc.) I've decided that a fresh reinstall is in order.
For me it's been running great for the last few weeks. There haven't been any very long delays for loading up a race. The jittery mouse problem has gone away. Now that I've jinxed it all of that will come back.

I find it a bit annoying that the Race To Road races are just long enough that if you use soft tires they're kind of useless on the final lap. The cynic in me can't help but suspect that the increased length is designed to inflate player engagement metrics.

Last edited:
I think it's more to force a bit of tyre strategy into the mix, which isn't a bad thing really as the meta has often been "how can I do the entire race on a single set of tyres".
I think you can still do it on mediums. None of the AIs pit in so changing tyres will lose you the race. Three ten lap races per round instead of four six-to-eight lap ones might have been a more definite statement.

Well, after reinstalling overnight, the game is running smoothly now. I decided not to install the high-resolution track textures, since I figure those are only noticeable at 4K and I'm playing at 1440p. It saves me storage space too.

Note: the grammar pixies also worked overnight and it now spells "Porsche" in this month's tour.

It only took 20 seconds to know to turn that crap off and never think about it again. :lol:
"Total time penalty is" :banghead: ...yeah I might have to do that now lol. But to be fair I do like some of the details she gives about the tracks.

I swear after one of the early trailers or teasers, Chris Esaki said "They won't sound like that in the finished game."
Wish I had the time to find it and see if it was any different to what we have in the final game.

Last edited:
I don't see how the time gated events will ever change unless Turn10 find another way to get people logging on. I think they are **** scared that what @Morbid65 says is true, that people will just switch off for good without the FOMO. And with the current status of the game and the lack of tangible major improvements, I agree with this.

But the counter argument remains, in my opinion, make a game enjoyable and you don't need FOMO.

Forza Horizon 5 has its own issues (the weekly car FOMO is awful in my opinion) but still, series 37 has FOUR new-to-Forza cars (compared with TWO for FM23 series 11), and update 38 has a new game mode!

So far, after 11 months, the number of new game modes in FM23 is... zero, nada, nothing.

It's so easy to think of improvements, which makes it very frustrating to me. If Turn10 can't think of something original to add, then steal from elsewhere. Grid Legends has Time Attack, Eliminator and Drift modes, and that's just one game, for an example.
I agree a good game shouldn't need FOMO stuff to encourage play, but sadly the FOMO thing has also sorta become a competition between games at this point. Even if your game is fun and you don't have a Battle Pass or whatever, players will still go "oh well I can play your good game any time, I have to get the FOMO stuff now in this other game."

As I've posted before, despite being frustrated/disappointed with T10's decision making and quality control, I'm enjoying the game and having fun races with friends on a regular basis, and it is undoubtedly a much more fun, deep racing experience than FM7 even if it has been frustratingly inconsistent/unstable at times and is missing features we previously had and has/had bugs that make things more difficult than they should be.

For others that don't have weekly league races though, I don't see a lot of reason to keep returning to this game frequently. The career is abysmal (although it should be noted I'm jaded and haven't enjoyed a career mode/single player experience in a loooooong time), the public multiplayer certainly can be fun and I've had some good races, but is also executed poorly with the ratings not meaning enough/working well so the driving standards outside the top 4 or 5 drivers in each lobby are bad, and the choices/formats generally being pretty unoriginal/uninspired mean it's not consistently enjoyable.

As you point out, FH5, which is old at this point and in a better state than FM8 and therefore doesn't need to be as desperate for some hype, is consistently getting better/more content and more buzz, which is pretty off-putting for those of us who prefer the circuit racing side of things. Maybe if we didn't have FH5 to compare it to it wouldn't be so disappointing... but we do.

Update 11's cars themselves are cool but I don't think they are enough to create any real kind of "hype" or whatever you want to call it amongst the sorta "normal" playerbase. Some will love the Nissan for nostalgia and the GT hardcore guys will be excited about the Aston I guess, but they require like 3 hours of slogging through generic "races" to get them, and I dunno how many people really bother. It's also not a very varied selection, as all 3 are RWD R-class GT race cars so no street cars, no slower cars, no variety of cars for different divisions.

The new cars being locked away or held back for drip feed mean the only new thing to play with is the track, but not every month has a track. When the only new content is locked behind a grind, it doesn't really make the game feel fresh when you turn it on after an update.

I personally don't think the solution is necessarily new game modes though. I get that some people miss drifting, and I get that some people miss drag mode (although I don't get why, it was always barebones and the game really isn't set up for drag racing well), and both are still fairly small niches of the larger Forza community. One of the most frequent criticisms of the franchise has been lack of focus, and adding either wouldn't help that. If we are down to getting 3 cars a month, then imagine how much more disappointing it will be for a big chunk of the playerbase when 1 of the 3 is a drift car or a drag car that only smaller percentage of the playerbase will use and will be useless for the game's core circuit racing.

It's still a tough spot for them though as each sorta subcommunity is pulling in their own way. Single player people go "the game NEEDS X" and multiplayer people go "we HAVE to get Y!" It seems like it would make it hard for T10 to focus on improving anything specific and it means the most logical things to work on are things directly related to the racing, as single player and multiplayer both have racing in common... But even then "I don't want to have to make a pit stop!" and "the races are too short!" and "no they are too long!" and "all we drive is road cars!" and "but race cars have no upgrades and that's boring!" and so on.

I do think just content can be enough, but it has to be focused and cohesive, and it needs to be utilized well. Just 2 cars buried behind some boring single player championships that feel like they were constructed using RNG where you have to use cars that have already been in the game for ages isn't enough for most people I think.

wall of text apologies etc

Maybe (hopefully) this iteration of Forza Motorsport will be akin to what Gran Turismo Sport was in the sense that it broke away of the progression of the games, but it somewhat felt lacking (the single-player campaign), so a numbered Gran Turismo was called for.

Maybe after all the technical heavy stuff is done, a Forza Motorsport 2.0 with emphasis on new, more exciting game modes could be possible...
Either that, or Microsoft just throws their hands in the air and assigns Playground Games to do a Forza Horizon Sport :scared:

Back