Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 13,345 comments
Yeah something has to be wrong. Do race cars automatically have wet tires available and you don't have to buy them? Of course I've never performed a pit stop so that would be another issue. I might try to go back and redo that race and when they all pit, just follow them in and see what happens.

Do you just enter the lane and everything automatically happens or do you have to assign buttons to do certain things? I think I want to try it again just like the first time and not go in and change the rule set unless I have to.
They all have all compounds including rain. For pit stops, all you to is point it into the pits, the game will take over driving and throw up a menu asking which tire compound you'd like and how much fuel to throw in the thing. You have to be fairly quick but it's reasonably intuitive and after a couple of tries gets easy. Very similar to the system used in the Ride franchise (almost like T10 had played it) so it was pretty familiar and easy for me, anyway.

<edit> snipered by @Morbid65 !😆

Last edited:
Added my tuppen'worth to the survey, but what surprised me was the overwhelming looking of the slower cars, such as the Ginetta Junior and MX-5 spec series - it's almost as if people want to be able to race in very close but underpowered cars instead of spending most of their time wrestling and avoiding spinning.
For some reason I am having a hard time reading your post. Sarcasm? I ask because I do love that Ginetta Jr and looking to try the GT4/GT3 version soon. If I am understanding your post correctly I agree - close racing is better than ramming and spinning (which I do a lot of in the high powered monsters).

My problem with FH5's approach is that due to the staggering number of loops/event types/etc on the FH5 map I often find it impossible to actually get to the events I'm supposed to complete to get the requisite points in the first place. In fact I don't think I've ever claimed one of the FH5 FOMO cars for this reason alone, whereas in FM I'm quite enjoying how straightforward the process is.
It's really pretty easy to get the FOMO cars in FH5. I just got this week's in 23 minutes from clicking play on the game in Steam. I did the Forzathon, the Trial, and one PR stunt. It will take a little longer one week each month to do the rivals events.

FM feels very tedious due to how much of the time is spent clicking through menus, and also the events are basically just all the same - drive around some track against terrible AI. At least the Trial can be a bit more fun.

For some reason I am having a hard time reading your post. Sarcasm? I ask because I do love that Ginetta Jr and looking to try the GT4/GT3 version soon. If I am understanding your post correctly I agree - close racing is better than ramming and spinning (which I do a lot of in the high powered monsters).
Sarcasm was intended, but not towards the end user. T10 has this obsession with supercars, hypercars and 1000bhp rocketships, whereas the feedback shows that the joy of racing is in controllable, comfortable race cars.

If I could, I'd spend all of my time racing junior spec series like the Ginetta Junior, Mazda MX-5 Cup and Formula Mazda serie if they made them permanent instead of giving us a PI 990 Porsche 953 (or whatever it was). I really don't care if I come last - as long as it has been a close, fraught, enjoyable battle, and not because some tosspot smacked me out on the start/finish line (which happened twice on the Le Mans endurance race) because they can't control the wheelspin.

Last edited:
Race tires come with wets as one of the compounds along with soft/med/hards, so yeah they all pitted for wets. Just because you turned off tire wear doesn't mean the pits don't work or you can't change compounds.

The PI/classes aren't a problem, all the BTCC/TCR cars come in around upper A or lower S so it's not like any of them have any extreme/wacky upgrades to be in that range.

The pit menu doesn't require anything to be assigned, you just drive in and a menu pops up asking which tires you want, then it will ask you how much fuel you want, then (if you have any) it will ask if you want to repair damage. While playing in single player, if you don't make your selections by the time your car drives to the pit box, then the game will automatically freeze time while you make your choices. If it worries you that much you can just make a Free Play event in "Test Drive" mode and you can drive in the pits just the same then to get a feel for it, but it's nothing daunting.

You really want to avoid making a pit stop so much that you would sit around for 50+ minutes trying the same thing that didn't work before over again?

It's late/early and I'm tired, so sorry if this is lacking tact as I don't intend for it to sound condescending, but I find it kinda amazing someone has played a racing game for 9 months (or whatever it has been now) and never tried to drive into the pit lane. I mean I know the career is all 3-6 lap garbage where you never need to pit, but you can drive in for more fuel or to change tires in the practice mode for career events, and set up Free Play races that are longer. I dunno, there's no way I could drive past a pit entrance that many times without my curiosity getting the best of me, and hell I even tried reversing into the pit lane, driving into the wrong end of the pit lane, pushing AI into the pits all in the first like... 3 days of the game or something.

I thought the whole reason people wanted endurance races to be added to the career was for the pit stop strategy options that the other career events never offer. As someone who finds racing with the AI boring, figuring out the pit strategy options with tire compounds is really the only interesting/engaging/satisfying part of these races for me.
I knew race tires come with wets once you purchase race tires but what I didn't know is if these cars already had race tires on them. Because I thought in the past I had purchased race cars and then had to buy race tires for them. Once the rain got heavier and I was having to take turns at 20mph and spinning the tires in burnout style down a straight, I figured the car came with race tires.

Now on to the second part of your post, I also do not want to sound condescending either. But none of the strategy of tire selection, doing pit stops, etc interests me at all. That's why I've never done a pit stop in this game. I don't care about it. I run my little 8-10 lap races with no tire wear or fuel strategy and I'm happy with that. Plus my back is so bad I can't stay seated for much longer than that. In the last 15 or so minutes of that 56 minute race it felt like I was leaning up against a lava flow. Same thing goes for tuning. I have no interest in it. I don't have the patience for it. I do pit stops in F1 '24 because I run the 35% length races and it's mandatory plus it's automatic. I don't have to figure out when to come in, the team tells me.

Now having said all of that I am going to go back and run that race again and do the pit stop thing just to avenge that disaster. Is that going to make me all of the sudden love strategy, pit stops, fuel burn, etc? I doubt it but we'll see. If you like doing all of that stuff, that's great. It's just not for me.

Last edited:
the mix of long endurance and short open races has made doing the weeklies much more palatable to me vs just sets of four races. obviously it should have the events added cumulatively and permanently rather than cycle though for limited time though

Sarcasm was intended, but not towards the end user. T10 has this obsession with supercars, hypercars and 1000bhp rocketships, whereas the feedback shows that the joy of racing is in controllable, comfortable race cars.

If I could, I'd spend all of my time racing junior spec series like the Ginetta Junior, Mazda MX-5 Cup and Formula Mazda serie if they made them permanent instead of giving us a PI 990 Porsche 953 (or whatever it was). I really don't care if I come last - as long as it has been a close, fraught, enjoyable battle, and not because some tosspot smacked me out on the start/finish line (which happened twice on the Le Mans endurance race) because they can't control the wheelspin.
Yeah the entry level stuff has been great, and I'm actually pleasantly surprised to see it being received so well. Of course, the people actually responding to those polls are a very small and (probably) more dedicated bunch so don't really represent the casual players. Hopefully T10 actually listen to them regardless though, and utilize this stuff better.

On the Horizon side you are always pushed towards the upper classes, and I get how there is a bit of a "move up the ladder!" thing with the "progression" (if you can/want to call it that) in FM8, but with the driving standards being what they are in FM8 the entry level cars can provide much more fun racing.

It would be great if they keep adding in more, like Clio Cup, Spec Racer Ford, Aussie Racing Cars, GR86 Cup, an extra low formula car like Formula Vee or 1600 or something. Especially something like Spec Racer Ford would be quite unique as they really aren't present in many games (iRacing has it, and I seem to remember one of the less popular/older PC sims does too), they would be a junior car with downforce which is a little different, and they look kinda like baby Can Am cars so they would be cute in little '70s throwback liveries.

Spec Racer Ford.jpg
I knew race tires come with wets once you purchase race tires but what I didn't know is if these cars already had race tires on them. Because I thought in the past I had purchased race cars and then had to buy race tires for them. Once the rain got heavier and I was having to take turns at 20mph and spinning the tires in burnout style down a straight, I figured the car came with race tires.

Now on to the second part of your post, I also do not want to sound condescending either. But none of the strategy of tire selection, doing pit stops, etc interests me at all. That's why I've never done a pit stop in this game. I don't care about it. I run my little 8-10 lap races with no tire wear or fuel strategy and I'm happy with that. Plus my back is so bad I can't stay seated for much longer than that. In the last 15 or so minutes of that 56 minute race it felt like I was leaning up against a lava flow. Same thing goes for tuning. I have no interest in it. I don't have the patience for it. I do pit stops in F1 '24 because I run the 35% length races and it's mandatory plus it's automatic. I don't have to figure out when to come in, the team tells me.

Now having said all of that I am going to go back and run that race again and do the pit stop thing just to avenge that disaster. Is that going to make me all of the sudden love strategy, pit stops, fuel burn, etc? I doubt it but we'll see. If you like doing all of that stuff, that's great. It's just not for me.
Yeah the rain is brutal in this game, it's not like real life where the dry line and hot tires mean you can survive for a little while as it starts raining to make a decision whether or not to pit, in any rain condition other than "Light Rain" or "Drizzle" the wets are absolutely mandatory within a lap (usually less than a lap) of the rain starting. In "Drizzle" you can run slicks just fine, and in "Light Rain" they aren't as fast as the wets but are still fairly driveable.

I'd really like them to slow down the transition from dry to wet. Between how aggressive it is and how the rain transition is triggered (by the lead car) it almost seems like it's designed to just bone the leader if no practice has been done, and with practice it's easy to know exactly when it's gonna rain every time in Free Play/Private Multiplayer... Really ruins both the unpredictability and the fairness of it.

I was more intending my post to sound encouraging, like we have several years left on this game and T10 doesn't seem that interested in making the career stuff much better, so give it a shot and you might find some more depth in the game. It's certainly not the kind of thing you fall in love with the first time, but it really adds another layer. At first it can be a little daunting/frustrating as you inevitably make some misjudgements and choose the wrong tire, but as it becomes second nature I find it really adds a lot to the experience. Now that they added the tire wear multiplier, you can crank it up in Free Play so you can get the added depth without needing to sit around for so long, which is great.

It really can add a tension and satisfaction to the races. For example choosing an alternate strategy and wondering the whole race if you are going to be able to make it pay off, then with 4 laps to go realizing you miscalculated and your tires are about to start falling off soon... But all the other cars pit, so you make the decision to stay out and try to survive, watching the other cars on fresh tires carve into your lead multiple seconds per lap. If they catch you, sure it's kinda disappointing, but if you hang onto and manage to salvage a win after the miscalculation, then it's super satisfying.

Today I ran the Porsche LMP (919?) in the 2nd endurance race at Silverstone. Spun a lot of tires, ran wide, and had a hard time keeping the beast under control. I ran 12th the entire race, couldn't keep the rest of the LMPs in my sight. I did lap the GT field completely (the only thing I took away good from the race).

Today I ran the Porsche LMP (919?) in the 2nd endurance race at Silverstone. Spun a lot of tires, ran wide, and had a hard time keeping the beast under control. I ran 12th the entire race, couldn't keep the rest of the LMPs in my sight. I did lap the GT field completely (the only thing I took away good from the race).
I don't know how much appetite you've got for another crack at it, but try this setup if you do, it was an absolute godsend for me in trying to tame the 919.

sounds like a VRAM issue then. Try adjusting PC settings to reduce VRAM utilisation by turning a few things down. Run a benchmark to check how much VRAM is being used in the benchmark test.

Some updates have adjusted VRAM use, for example the highest car decals setting became a LOT more VRAM intensive in one update a while back.
What am I supposed to be looking for here in regards to erratic movements from the cursor?

Screenshot 2024-06-29 003504.png

Last edited:
Your video memory is quite high but not too high in the benchmark. It’s possible that after loading a bunch of different tracks it creeps up further and causes issues, but hard to tell.

So yeah, not sure.

Have you tried adjusting all those “auto” settings to a fixed setting in case that helps?

What am I supposed to be looking for here in regards to erratic movements from the cursor?

View attachment 1368527
That's the same issue I was having before capping the FPS to 60. Your video card is high end enough to not use any auto settings. The other issue I see is your monitor is a 60Hz monitor. No matter how high the game tells you your FPS is, it's just going to screen tear because your monitor is only capable of 60Hz. Change your performance target to either 60fps VSync or 60fps unlocked. You will have to decide what feels better. Turn off ray tracing. It's pointless while racing. If you want to take some cool photos, enable it for that. DLSS makes my game look way worse than it should. Your 4070ti should not need DLSS. Make the resolution scale 100%. That's 1:1 with your monitor resolution. Turn on show frame rate and look at that value while your racing. If it can't hold 60fps, then start moving some values like shadow quality or particle effects down.

Skazz is also correct. You're getting too close to your VRAM max, but turning off ray tracing should help with that.

Last edited:
That's the same issue I was having before capping the FPS to 60. Your video card is high end enough to not use any auto settings. The other issue I see is your monitor is a 60Hz monitor. No matter how high the game tells you your FPS is, it's just going to screen tear because your monitor is only capable of 60Hz. Change your performance target to either 60fps locked or 60fps unlocked. You will have to decide what feels better. Turn off ray tracing. It's pointless while racing. If you want to take some cool photos, enable it for that. DLSS makes my game look way worse than it should. Your 4070ti should not need DLSS. Make the resolution scale 100%. That's 1:1 with your monitor resolution. Turn on show frame rate and look at that value while your racing. If it can't hold 60fps, then start moving some values like shadow quality or particle effects down.

Skazz is also correct. You're getting too close to your VRAM max, but turning off ray tracing should help with that.
Your video memory is quite high but not too high in the benchmark. It’s possible that after loading a bunch of different tracks it creeps up further and causes issues, but hard to tell.

So yeah, not sure.

Have you tried adjusting all those “auto” settings to a fixed setting in case that helps?
60hz? That's strange because I use a 120hz 4k tv. I will have to look at some of those other settings. I did find a Youtube video that suggested going into the PC settings, control panel, mouse, and turning off a setting that said something like hover over windows which helped it a little but there's another one I need to try.

60hz? That's strange because I use a 120hz 4k tv. I will have to look at some of those other settings. I did find a Youtube video that suggested going into the PC settings, control panel, mouse, and turning off a setting that said something like hover over windows which helped it a little but there's another one I need to try.

4k 120 with a 4070ti will take a lot of tweaking to achieve. With DLSS on, you’re not getting native 4k. 60fps will be butter smooth if you can keep it stable. Take the VRAM usage down to around 8.5 keep running benchmarks with different settings.

Are you sure your TV is true 4k / 120? Or VRR up to 120?

Last edited:
4k 120 with a 4070ti will take a lot of tweaking to achieve. With DLSS on, you’re not getting native 4k. 60fps will be butter smooth if you can keep it stable. Take the VRAM usage down to around 8.5 keep running benchmarks with different settings.

Are you sure your TV is true 4k / 120? Or VRR up to 120?
It should be true 4k but I'll check later today. I have to go in to work for a couple of hours soon. I don't really have any problems with the game itself running it's just the cursor skipping around the screen in the menus. But last night I did get for the first time ever a VRAM warning message popped up. How do you adjust VRAM?

It should be true 4k but I'll check later today. I have to go in to work for a couple of hours soon. I don't really have any problems with the game itself running it's just the cursor skipping around the screen in the menus. But last night I did get for the first time ever a VRAM warning message popped up. How do you adjust VRAM?

Your TV is true 4k, but when you turn on DLSS in game, it’s no longer native 4k. Adjusting the VRAM is just lowering certain graphics settings in game. Each one you adjust should move the VRAM usage bar. Ray Tracing will definitely lower it if you turn it off. Seeing the benchmark graph you posted earlier, it’s weird that you don’t notice performance drops in game.

Last edited:

View attachment 1368527
I see that you are getting quite respectable performance at 4K (cursor problems notwithstanding). If I may, after my latest round of upgrades (that I promise myself will be the last for a while...), the following are my results with customized settings as I strive for the best PQ/performance at 1440p.

Benchmark scale res auto-104 fps.png

This is with the resolution scale set to Auto (or 100%), but the visual quality is not satisfactory to me due to loss of detail in objects in the distance: cars, fencing, trees, etc.), but setting it between 135 to 150% yields the best results without using Nvidia's DLSS, for an acceptable performance cost: 81 fps on the average for 150% up to 86 fps for 140% on the benchmark, but that is often the lowest it gets during actual races at the start, and go higher while the field disperses, and then the fps go from mid to high 90s.

I see that you are getting quite respectable performance at 4K (cursor problems notwithstanding). If I may, after my latest round of upgrades (that I promise myself will be the last for a while...), the following are my results with customized settings as I strive for the best PQ/performance at 1440p.

View attachment 1368693
This is with the resolution scale set to Auto (or 100%), but the visual quality is not satisfactory to me due to loss of detail in objects in the distance: cars, fencing, trees, etc.), but setting it between 135 to 150% yields the best results without using Nvidia's DLSS, for an acceptable performance cost: 81 fps on the average for 150% up to 86 fps for 140% on the benchmark, but that is often the lowest it gets during actual races at the start, and go higher while the field disperses, and then the fps go from mid to high 90s.
Your TV is true 4k, but when you turn on DLSS in game, it’s no longer native 4k. Adjusting the VRAM is just lowering certain graphics settings in game. Each one you adjust should move the VRAM usage bar. Ray Tracing will definitely lower it if you turn it off. Seeing the benchmark graph you posted earlier, it’s weird that you don’t notice performance drops in game.
How about this?

Screenshot 2024-06-29 143910.png

It looks clean, but it’s still showing up as a 60Hz refresh rate. The most important thing is, did it fix your issue?
Strong for a 4K presentation at 100% resolution. As for your TV, is it a recent LG Oled panel or other TV with gaming specs? For getting 4K above 60 fps the HDMI port should be 2.1 and the connecting cable must also be compatible. A 2.0 or lower won't carry a 4K @ 120Hz signal.
For some reason I only have DLSS available in my card, no FSR 2.0 (not that I would use it anyways). But at 150% resolution scale if I use it, I get some really horrible artifacts in moving objects (lamp posts, fencing, etc.)

Strong for a 4K presentation at 100% resolution. As for your TV, is it a recent LG Oled panel or other TV with gaming specs? For getting 4K above 60 fps the HDMI port should be 2.1 and the connecting cable must also be compatible. A 2.0 or lower won't carry a 4K @ 120Hz signal.
For some reason I only have DLSS available in my card, no FSR 2.0 (not that I would use it anyways). But at 150% resolution scale if I use it, I get some really horrible artifacts in moving objects (lamp posts, fencing, etc.)

I think you quoted me by mistake. I’m not the one having issues. DLSS is only available with an NVidia card and FSR is for AMD. I don’t know what TV Jezza is using, but they did state that it’s 120Hz capable. I’m playing the game with 3 G Sync 144Hz gaming monitors.

I think you quoted me by mistake. I’m not the one having issues. DLSS is only available with an NVidia card and FSR is for AMD. I don’t know what TV Jezza is using, but they did state that it’s 120Hz capable. I’m playing the game with 3 G Sync 144Hz gaming monitors.
Sorry about that, I was trying to quote him. Yes, DLSS and FSR are exclusive to Nvidia/AMD, as I have owned cards from both. But in many games the option to use either exists (in FH5, for example). 3 monitors sound like a mighty display!

Sorry about that, I was trying to quote him. Yes, DLSS and FSR are exclusive to Nvidia/AMD, as I have owned cards from both. But in many games the option to use either exists (in FH5, for example). 3 monitors sound like a mighty display!

I prefer VR but they are definitely cool as long as the game fully supports it. Forza does not, so it’s just a stretched screen. Still better than a single screen though IMO

It looks clean, but it’s still showing up as a 60Hz refresh rate. The most important thing is, did it fix your issue?
This is the tv I have. According to everything I can find on it it should be a 120hz tv but I don't know why it's showing 60hz on the benchmark test. @cjsrt4 It kind of fixed it but not fully. Now the cursor will still jump a little bit and at times it is hard to get it to stay on what you're trying to select but it's not jumping all over the screen now.

Samsung QR80 specs.png

Last edited:
This is the tv I have. According to everything I can find on it it should be a 120hz tv but I don't know why it's showing 60hz on the benchmark test. @cjsrt4 It kind of fixed it but not fully. Now the cursor will still jump a little bit and at times it is hard to get it to stay on what you're trying to select but it's not jumping all over the screen now.

View attachment 1368789
I just downloaded the manual for that TV. In order do get 120 FPS, the resolution needs to be 1080p. It also notes that if the resolution isn't supported, it might not be smooth. You might want to try and change your performance target to 60Hz.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-29 195856.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-29 195856.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 3
I just downloaded the manual for that TV. In order do get 120 FPS, the resolution needs to be 1080p. It also notes that if the resolution isn't supported, it might not be smooth. You might want to try and change your performance target to 60Hz.
Maybe. But like I said earlier the game's performance really isn't a problem other than the slow loading of races. And of course the cursor problem.

Back