Free “My First Gran Turismo” Demo Coming Later This Year

• Thread starter Famine
  • 197 comments
You are not wrong in saying that GT7 is lacking in events. I don’t care if there are more than 200, because not many of them are any good and relevant event themes are completely overlooked by PD. GT Sport had better variety, which is bizarre.

However, the custom event feature kinda helps to overcome the problem, and you’re mocking suggestions to use it. That is a toxic attitude when people are only trying to help you enjoy the game in light of its shortcomings.

How is it mockery to highlight it not being on the player to fix a game for Devs?

In Gran Turismo 2 for the PS1 you could technically have a custom race with one button press. However, there were so many races, it was a bonus, not a replacement.

In GT4 for PS2, the "Family Cup" races could be accessed a similar way. Again, with the sheer number of events, it was a bonus not a replacement. So, three and four generations ago didn't need to, why is it acceptable now? To me, it is not. How is that mockery?

When was the last time you played gt7?

Spec 2 patch, had some good additions, but still nowhere near enough. I've seen what else has been added since I uninstalled, not enough to make me go back.

Last edited:
Fast rotating cars in car selection menu would be cool. Organ key sound for 'X' button please. ;)
Oh yes, one of my peeves with Gran Turismo games is that the cars spin slower in every new release. In the newer ones, the camera doesn't even get all the way around the car before it switches to an interior view or something. I just want to see the whole car before I decide whether to buy it!

I wish you could use the second joystick to freely rotate the camera like in some Forza games.

Last edited:
With the mention that they want to appeal to all types of audiences, it would be interesting if this “demo” was an arcade mode that they could add to GT7. A more direct and simple game mode with a selection of cars already available, sorted by categories and without the need for tuning and mechanical optimizations. Winning races could unlock other circuits or car categories.
The arcade mode has been present in all editions of Gran Turismo except GT7 where it was replaced by the peculiar music rally more limited and with a twist.
Surely the arcade mode is the first memory of most GT veterans and it was where the local multiplayer was located.

With the mention that they want to appeal to all types of audiences, it would be interesting if this “demo” was an arcade mode that they could add to GT7. A more direct and simple game mode with a selection of cars already available, sorted by categories and without the need for tuning and mechanical optimizations. Winning races could unlock other circuits or car categories.
The arcade mode has been present in all editions of Gran Turismo except GT7 where it was replaced by the peculiar music rally more limited and with a twist.
Surely the arcade mode is the first memory of most GT veterans and it was where the local multiplayer was located.
And GT4 had it close to perfection, where it was possible to have all the cars available as rental cars, and that one new car was always unlocked if you have acquired it at least once in the main career mode.

How is it mockery to highlight it not being on the player to fix a game for Devs?
It’s mockery because you are not fixing the game for the developers when you customize the experience for yourself. The ability to customize is always a good thing no matter how much work the developers have put into a piece of software. Then again, you’ve already uttered a “hard disagree” that the custom events allow for customizing the game, so I might as well talk to wall.
In Gran Turismo 2 for the PS1 you could technically have a custom race with one button press. However, there were so many races, it was a bonus, not a replacement.
It’s not a custom race if it requires only one button press.
In GT4 for PS2, the "Family Cup" races could be accessed a similar way. Again, with the sheer number of events, it was a bonus not a replacement. So, three and four generations ago didn't need to, why is it acceptable now? To me, it is not. How is that mockery?
I don’t think you should see the custom events in GT7 as a replacement for anything because it’s not a feature the game is actively trying to steer the player toward. It’s a feature you can use when you want to create events without outside influences. How is that a bad thing?

Last edited:
It’s mockery because you are not fixing the game for the developers when you customize the experience for yourself. The ability to customize is always a good thing no matter how much work the developers have put into a piece of software. Then again, you’ve already uttered a “hard disagree” that the custom events allow for customizing the game, so I might as well talk to wall.

It’s not a custom race if it requires only one button press.

I don’t think you should see the custom events in GT7 as a replacement for anything because it’s not a feature the game is actively trying to steer the player toward. It’s a feature you can use when you want to create events without outside influences. How is that a bad thing?

The amount of people who say "not enough events? Create your own." Torpedoes this line of thought. It has become a form of coping mechanism that you can make them yourself.

This is in spite of them being horrifically rubber banded, full of missing grid options, containing practically no rewarding payout and have no relation to any form of game progression.

Making your own race is not a cutting edge feature. Forza 4 had it in 2010. I'm pretty sure Colin McCrae Rally had it in the early 2000's. Even Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II had it in 1993.

Fact is, everyone points to custom race as a panacea. It is not. If that is mockery, you need to steer clear of any form of journalism

Last edited:
Because it’s probably not your actual opinion about the custom race feature, but rather a fake stance that you came up with in order to justify your complaint about the lack of endurance events.

Your actual opinion is probably something like “yeah, the custom race feature is nice, but I would still like some official endurance events” and that opinion is perfectly valid, there’s no need to hide it behind some strange principle about how you refuse to do their work for them.

The amount of people who say "not enough events? Create your own." Torpedoes this line of thought. It has become a form of coping mechanism that you can make them yourself.
That might be your misinterpretation. It’s a suggestion to help enhancing the enjoyment you get from the game. Some might be using the feature as a coping mechanism, but that would be missing the point to use it for self-expression.
This is in spite of them being horrifically rubber banded, full of missing grid options, containing practically no rewarding payout and have no relation to any form of game progression.
The custom events have flaws, but I’d rather make use of them than don’t. I get more fun from my saved custom events than I do from most of the events PD have put into the game. Besides, the poor reward payouts were fixed in an update a while back. You can make certain combinations with car PP and tire choices which add up to rather nice payouts depending on the performance of chosen opponent cars. It’s actually quite a fun system to experiment with.
Making your own race is not a cutting edge feature. Forza 4 had it in 2010. I'm pretty sure Colin McCrae Rally had it in the early 2000's. Even Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II had it in 1993.
I don’t think I said it was.

My guess is that more than a Demo is going to be a small standalone game using GT7 assets but recreating the menus, structure and events from GT1 (sunday cup, clubman cup)

Obviusly is not going to have 200 cars and 10 tracks, but I think 4 tracks and around 20 cars would be a realistic expectation.

And probably at some point they will include an ad video for GT7🤭🤭

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Colin McCrae Rally had it in the early 2000's. Even Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II had it in 1993.
That's a stretch of what could be considered as "making your own race" - by that logic, any game's "single race" mode could be considered that.

My First GT. In celebration of the holiday season, Polyphony Digital has created a free-to-play experience for PS5 consoles that pays homage to the original design of the original Gran Turismo. Featuring menu art reminiscent of the genre-defining classic, it will feature some of the most beloved cars, tracks and racing events that evoke the nostalgia and excitement of the first GT experience. Find out more about My First GT, available to all PS5 players this holiday season.
This is the English version, near enough the same with a few different words:

This holiday, look forward to a free-to-play experience from Polyphony Digital that pays homage to the original design of the first Gran Turismo.

Featuring menu elements reminiscent of the original genre-defining classic, it will feature some of the favourite cars, tracks, and race events that evoke the nostalgia and excitement of the very first GT experience. Look out for more details on My First GT soon.

Last edited:
Saw on Twitter that the Italian PS Blog had some additional information suggesting there will be special menus reminiscent of the first GT.
Wait, no way they're actually doing what I was trying to reimagine back in the quarantine days. At the time I was dreaming of something like this to happen, so I decided to give it a shot by myself and then made this video.

This will be interesting, it'll definitely fuel my nostalgia. :eek:

Last edited:
Wait, no way they're actually doing what I was trying to reimagine back in the quarantine days. At the time I was dreaming of something like this to happen, so I decided to give it a shot by myself and then made this video.

This will be interesting, it'll definitely fuel my nostalgia. :eek:

Legend 👍 🔥

Not getting my hopes up for this to add anything to the game. Probably just a marketing opportunity.

Last edited:
Back