Gran Turismo 4 Modding Discussion

Downloading now. I had no idea it would be uploaded this early, which is great, though I know time zones are different across the world.

Very excited to try this out. Thank you very much @TheAdmiester!

Last edited:
Not 100% sure if it's caused by Spec II mod, but it does mention adjust aspect ratio of some menu icons so it could be:

Because both it and the HD HUD mod both try to adjust the aspect ratio, some icons end up being squished from sides

Screenshot_1.png

Not 100% sure if it's caused by Spec II mod, but it does mention adjust aspect ratio of some menu icons so it could be:

Because both it and the HD HUD mod both try to adjust the aspect ratio, some icons end up being squished from sides

View attachment 1390729
Technically caused by Spec II since I corrected the aspect ratio of the actual elements, but not something for me to fix as it's now fixed at the source. If the HD pack authors decide to make a Spec II-aware version then this would be fixed, otherwise I recommend playing without for now.

So far, very awesome.

Some things I did notice though:

1. I have not tested all models of the car, but the S2000 Type V 2003 (top down convertible mode) does not have the interior camera centered on the steering wheel. Instead it is zoomed in on the dash.

2. Of all the RB26DETT Nissan Skylines, the BCNR33 GT-R seems to have the most accurate stock (no exhaust) engine sound, while the BNR32 and BNR34 Skyline GT-R's sound a bit odd. Could the stock engine sound from the R33 be added to the other two Skylines?
However though, when a custom exhaust is installed it (only tried the R32 so far with one) sounds, well, amazing.

3. 480p does not stay enabled after a reboot.

Last edited:
So far, very awesome.

Some things I did notice though:

1. I have not tested all models of the car, but the S2000 Type V 2003 (top down convertible mode) does not have the interior camera centered on the steering wheel. Instead it is zoomed in on the dash.

2. Of all the RB26DETT Nissan Skylines, the BCNR33 GT-R seems to have the most accurate stock (no exhaust) engine sound, while the BNR32 and BNR34 Skyline GT-R's sound a bit odd. Could the stock engine sound from the R33 be added to the other two Skylines?
However though, when a custom exhaust is installed it (only tried the R32 so far with one) sounds, well, amazing.

3. 480p does not stay enabled after a reboot.
1. Some interior cams probably aren't perfect and I'll try to keep track of some to update in future

2. I gave each gen a different sound to avoid duplication - one thing I hate is when you get a grid full of the same sound and it blends together in one loud, phase-y mess - and going off the idea that different shaped cars will have different acoustic characteristics. I might look into improving them in future but I want to avoid just giving them all the same one, especially for the Red R Emblem races

3. I've tested this one just now and it works fine. Make sure you're letting the game save after applying it (it can't save in the options menu, only in GT Mode or when you hit Save Game on the main menu) as I've seen that catch a few people out

Not sure if it's a valid suggestion but an FIA GT / Le Mans Series type championship would be cool for the non-JGTC GT racing cars, though I don't know if there's enough cars in that category to encourage it.

Absolutely lovin' it. You Gran Turismo Modders are gaming heroes to me.

Also, uhhh... I noticed a drop in framerate due to the game seemingly being locked in 480p and also I seem to not be able to remove 16:9 no matter the option.

Saying this because my Laptop gets slow FPS when I play GT4 with 16:9 and 480p.

Edit: Resetting the game seems to have fixed the screen aspect and lowered back to normal pixels.

Masterwork!

Last edited:
1. Some interior cams probably aren't perfect and I'll try to keep track of some to update in future

2. I gave each gen a different sound to avoid duplication - one thing I hate is when you get a grid full of the same sound and it blends together in one loud, phase-y mess - and going off the idea that different shaped cars will have different acoustic characteristics. I might look into improving them in future but I want to avoid just giving them all the same one, especially for the Red R Emblem races

3. I've tested this one just now and it works fine. Make sure you're letting the game save after applying it (it can't save in the options menu, only in GT Mode or when you hit Save Game on the main menu) as I've seen that catch a few people out
1. Okay, nice. Thank you.

2. I understand. Maybe engine manufacturer swaps in the future could be possible?

3. I did indeed save it. Though my save setting is set to restricted, so perhaps that could be the cause.

I've been playing for a while and it's absolutely fantastic so far! Thank you for your amazing work. I would like to report some minor issues and suggestions in case you want to update the mod in the future. Don't know if it's possible to fix them or if you want to invest time in it, just consider this as a feedback. NOTE: I tested Spec II on PC, so some issues may be not related to the game itself, although the NTSC-U version of vanilla GT4-O doesn't have such problems.

• Camera will always start in bumper position if bonnet and interior camera are disabled;
  • Can't look back with roof camera if bonnet and interior camera are disabled;
  • Asphalt texture glitches can be observed at Laguna Seca (I'm not using custom textures).
  • Some billboard sponsors at Sonoma Raceway appear to be glitchy;
  • Hyundai Tiburon GT '01 and Tuscani CCS '03 have minor wipers textures glitch);
  • On PCSX2 If blending accuracy is set to High some vehicles (Pontiac Sunfire GXP, Renault 5 Turbo Maxi Rally Car and maybe others) will display shaky on garage and dealership and framerate will drop esponentially even on high-end PC. Setting blending accuracy to medium or lower seems to solve the problem.

Screenshot 2024-09-21 112639.png

Screenshot 2024-09-21 114442.png

Screenshot 2024-09-21 115346.png

NOTE: during gameplay is much more visible than in this screenshots

• Bentley Speed 8 should be in new car dealership;
  • Subaru Impreza 22B Rally Car should be in classic car dealership;
  • Buick Special should be in Tuner village or Buick tune shop;
  • HPA Golf R32 is cheaper than stock VW Golf R32 (should be around 80-100K Cr.);
  • Is possible to list every car by era in arcade mode? Only 371 cars are listed there.

I've been playing for a while and it's absolutely fantastic so far! Thank you for your amazing work. I would like to report some minor issues and suggestions in case you want to update the mod in the future. Don't know if it's possible to fix them or if you want to invest time in it, just consider this as a feedback. NOTE: I tested Spec II on PC, so some issues may be not related to the game itself, although the NTSC-U version of vanilla GT4-O doesn't have such problems.

• Camera will always start in bumper position if bonnet and interior camera are disabled;
  • Can't look back with roof camera if bonnet and interior camera are disabled;
  • Asphalt texture glitches can be observed at Laguna Seca (I'm not using custom textures).
  • Some billboard sponsors at Sonoma Raceway appear to be glitchy;
  • Hyundai Tiburon GT '01 and Tuscani CCS '03 have minor wipers textures glitch);
  • On PCSX2 If blending accuracy is set to High some vehicles (Pontiac Sunfire GXP, Renault 5 Turbo Maxi Rally Car and maybe others) will display shaky on garage and dealership and framerate will drop esponentially even on high-end PC. Setting blending accuracy to medium or lower seems to solve the problem.

View attachment 1390944
View attachment 1390950
View attachment 1390960
NOTE: during gameplay is much more visible than in this screenshots

• Bentley Speed 8 should be in new car dealership;
  • Subaru Impreza 22B Rally Car should be in classic car dealership;
  • Buick Special should be in Tuner village or Buick tune shop;
  • HPA Golf R32 is cheaper than stock VW Golf R32 (should be around 80-100K Cr.);
  • Is possible to list every car by era in arcade mode? Only 371 cars are listed there.
For issues, the first two are known and the former is likely fixable, the latter less likely. The rest of the issues are either the original game or PCSX2, so nothing the mod can change about those.

For the suggestions I’ll definitely take them on board and consider for a future update.

I have noticed some issues as well.

1. On some cars (I play on hardware, not pcsx2) there is interlace jittering. Going to Nissan>Classics you will see this on certain cars' description/information like some old Skylines or Fairladys.

2. Although I really do not have much interest in it, when trying to access the Nike dealership, a message appears that tells of trying to connect to an EyeToy camera. I do have one, but never use it. Though this issue could be related to playing from USB with OPL.

I honestly had no idea GT4 Online even supported the camera.

Last edited:
I have noticed some issues as well.

1. On some cars (I play on hardware, not pcsx2) there is interlace jittering. Going to Nissan>Classics you will see this on certain cars' description/information like some old Skylines or Fairladys.

2. Although I really do not have much interest in it, when trying to access the Nike dealership, a message appears that tells of trying to connect to an EyeToy camera. I do have one, but never use it. Though this issue could be related to playing from USB with OPL.

I honestly had no idea GT4 Online even supported the camera.
I don’t think jittering is caused by the mod or fixable by the mod to be honest, just the nature of that old rendering method.

Eyetoy issue is known - originally you could unlock the Nike car by scanning a specific t-shirt - but I think it’ll be so unused nowadays that nobody will mind me cutting it and making it a normal dealership.

Back