Gran Turismo 7’s New Physics Are Not Entirely Going Well

• Thread starter Famine
  • 398 comments
I think I've found one of the most entertaining bug tunes.

For some reason, the FK8 Civic Type R with this tune accelerates and coasts just fine. But, when braking, if you're going like above 40mph, the rear of the car starts clipping the ground, and you just go straight like a missile. And, if you brake while going like below 40mph, or you get contact at those lower speeds, the car wants to launch itself to the moon a la the Sambabuses.

This means the AI can actually drive these cars at the start of a custom race and finish a race (eventually) as long as they keep resetting. Meaning you get beautiful chaos for a whole race, where it's constantly raining cars. Here's a sample of the chaos.

And the tune:
Gran Turismo® 7_20240729204953.png
Gran Turismo® 7_20240729205002.png

For some reason, the FK8 Civic Type R with this tune accelerates and coasts just fine. But, when braking, if you're going like above 40mph, the rear of the car starts clipping the ground, and you just go straight like a missile. And, if you brake while going like below 40mph, or you get contact at those lower speeds, the car wants to launch itself to the moon a la the Sambabuses.

This means the AI can actually drive these cars at the start of a custom race and finish a race (eventually) as long as they keep resetting. Meaning you get beautiful chaos for a whole race, where it's constantly raining cars. Here's a sample of the chaos.

And the tune:
View attachment 1376673View attachment 1376674

What’s funny is, I don’t think those settings look all that crazy. Like simply reducing the rear compression and expansion turns them into trampolines?

Last edited:
What’s funny is, I don’t think those settings look all that crazy. Like simply reducing the rear compression and expansion turns them into trampolines?
I decided to look a bit into the new physics uupdate and it seems to correlate with what you say along with a bit more. From my understanding the update has resulted in an increased front end grip on almost all vehicles, without any increase in rear end grip. That might explain why so many people can't decide on if the new handling model is good or bad. Some people simply prefer a car that understeers and some prefer oversteer. I'm personally a fan of predictable oversteer. Secondly it appears that the physics model only affects the suspension kinematics and geometry at the rear through a poorly integrated damping model. It's another plausible explanation as to why so many cars now feel like they're so sensitive especially when the rear end has gone loose. It also explains the wheel hop if you accelerate hard or do a burnout. The suspension is under damped and with the new model, it cannot comprehend the reduction in damping or even a minor change in damping from stock form. I could probably write up a whole report on this but anyways... I'll say from my experience in real life racing and also what I do for my job that Polyphony has a lot of work to do. The next update will most likely just consist of a patch that prevents flying cars and further patches to the physics model will happen, but it won't be fully fixed before the end of summer.

Has anyone noticed and / or mentioned that the custom suspension settings have been changed on almost all the cars (well in my garage I find) mainly the damper compression settings have been dropped to 25 f/r and expansion are now 45 f/r .
I usually had these set to 30s and 35s on most if not all my cars.

Yeah. Still looking for more postings about to the dampener settings as i am just starting my tuning journey and would like to hear if these settings make sense or it's advised to go back to 30/40 or 35/45.

I decided to look a bit into the new physics uupdate and it seems to correlate with what you say along with a bit more. From my understanding the update has resulted in an increased front end grip on almost all vehicles, without any increase in rear end grip. That might explain why so many people can't decide on if the new handling model is good or bad. Some people simply prefer a car that understeers and some prefer oversteer. I'm personally a fan of predictable oversteer. Secondly it appears that the physics model only affects the suspension kinematics and geometry at the rear through a poorly integrated damping model. It's another plausible explanation as to why so many cars now feel like they're so sensitive especially when the rear end has gone loose. It also explains the wheel hop if you accelerate hard or do a burnout. The suspension is under damped and with the new model, it cannot comprehend the reduction in damping or even a minor change in damping from stock form. I could probably write up a whole report on this but anyways... I'll say from my experience in real life racing and also what I do for my job that Polyphony has a lot of work to do. The next update will most likely just consist of a patch that prevents flying cars and further patches to the physics model will happen, but it won't be fully fixed before the end of summer.
I don’t know the specifics of it, but I know what I feel. It is odd, I keep driving more cars from my garage and some haven’t been affected all that much. The FFB in my wheel still has but some cars as far as handling goes, not much change or enough for me to notice or care.

I must have managed to hop in every car that was affected by the update, including updates addressing my wheel, it felt like they had completely destroyed the game.

I haven’t read the update notes, but just going from what I experienced, I would have to say it’s a suspension softening thing, like cars have more body roll, which is why some cars which have never had fender rub suddenly do. I think those sweeping corners a lot of my cars the tires are actually bumping the fenders or hitting somewhere in the fender well causing that intervalic wheel tugging sensation.

I took the Mazda Roadster to Maggiore. I figured that car is stock, driven it lots, let’s see if I can make it catch. Down the hill and around the high bank right corner, no tire rubbing but the car did do this weird glitchy jump thing like the interior of the car shifted on screen and it bogged down or something. It’s like a split second.

So what’s that? Maybe all four tires hitting? Everywhere else on track, no complaints, can’t even really tell the difference except it maybe feels a little looser or more prone to slide in corners.

There’s so many things in this update it’s hard to tell what’s what, what’s intentional, what’s not intentional.

Ngl, having an 800hp 964 thats drives straight was cool as hell, but in the back of my mind, I knew it was fantasy. I know you can’t just drop all that power in a car from the 80’s make handle with some coil-overs. :lol:

And the tune:
View attachment 1376673View attachment 1376674

These are just EPIC.

I think the overriding common factor here is the max ballast put to the rear of the car for certain cars. It seems you don't need that extreme of a tune.

These are just EPIC.

I think the overriding common factor here is the max ballast put to the rear of the car for certain cars. It seems you don't need that extreme of a tune.
Fair enough, but I hauled a Cologne 2.8L (without the heads) in the trunk of my 75 nova to take it to the engine shop to get rebuilt and I don’t recall launching sky high into the air. Haha

Best part about that memory, the guys like where the engine? I said in the back of that nova. Pull around back, back up to the door, open the trunk. How’d you get it in there?!? I lifted it in, why?

He wouldn’t believe me, took four of them to get it out, I said I can give you a hand, he insisted I didn’t for some reason. * I did actually pick it up and put it in the trunk by myself.

Last edited:
Im having too much fun messing around in scapes etc, check this one....hahhaha

Rolling on the floor...
You may have no idea but there must be something in your setup that is particularly smoke-friendly. Swapped engine, right? Would you please share a screenshot of your settings?

Last edited:
Back