Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,363 comments
Hey everyone, I wasn't sure where to post this but it involves custom races so here we are.

Since they made custom races (and quick races for that matter) worth it, at nearly every level of racing, I've dived into something I've been meaning to do for a while.

Going through the licence tests (of which there are also double the number now), and creating a race mimicking the combos for each test. I'm repeating the task using Quick Race (with Sophy as an added treat where available). All cars stock...

So far I've only done 5;
Mazda Demio at High Speed Ring
Mitsubishi GTO at HSR
Daihatsu Copen at Alsace Village
Audi TT at AV
Autobianchi Abarth at Tsukuba

Plenty left!!

Right now I'm working on some projects (but I don't have all the cars and/or I have some issues preparing everything):
  • early '90s DTM (I don't have all the cars needed and I have some doubt about tuning);
  • early '90s BTCC (but unfortunately what was said above applies, I don't have all the cars etc. etc.);
  • Trans-Am Series (obviously with some "technical regulations license"... it's impossible to have proper replica tunes for TA cars, for example I'll have the Dodge Challenger Demon with its supercharged engine, the Shelby Mustang GT350R with the Maverick swapped turbo engine because with stock engine it can't be on par with the Dodge and the Chevy ZL1 that I don't have tuned yet);
  • a "Ford v Ferrari" replica race at Le Mans and maybe the 1966 or 1967 WSC;
  • late '80s/ early '90s WEC seasons.
These projects will be added to the current ones (current WEC and IMSA series, current BTCC and TCR, current GTWC).

How many possibilities this Custom Race mode offers!

Last edited:
Right now I'm working on some projects (but I don't have all the cars and/or I have some issues preparing everything):
  • early '90s DTM (I don't have all the cars needed and I have some doubt about tuning);
  • early '90s BTCC (but unfortunately what was said above applies, I don't have all the cars etc. etc.);
  • Trans-Am Series (obviously with some "technical regulations license"... it's impossible to have proper replica tunes for TA cars, for example I'll have the Dodge Challenger Demon with its supercharged engine, the Shelby Mustang GT350R with the Maverick swapped turbo engine because with stock engine it can't be on par with the Dodge and the Chevy ZL1 that I don't have tuned yet);
  • a "Ford v Ferrari" replica race at Le Mans and maybe the 1966 or 1967 WSC;
  • late '80s/ early '90s WEC seasons.
These projects will be added to the current ones (current WEC and IMSA series, current BTCC and TCR, current GTWC).

How many possibilities this Custom Race mode offers!
I love the sandbox nature of custom races, with the help of some amazing liveries people have created and a little imagination it’s possible to create all sorts of events.

I’m currently building a 90’s DTM grid and I’m a couple cars away from finishing my 2016 WEC grid. So far i have 2023 imsa, 2023 btcc, 2019 super gt and 2023 super taikyu grids.

Hey, all. You might remember some posts I made a few months back about a custom career I’m working on - been slacking at times, lots of details to fill in, so the scale has put me off for a while, but I’ve recommitted. Just a case of putting my head down and finishing it all.

In any case, I have reached a bit of an impasse regarding “pick up and play”. The current events are set up where you buy your car, each AI car, and tune it specifically to the event’s parameters. There are lots of events, all with different parameters, so the time it would take to do this is not small.

A very rough estimate puts the final “main leagues” event number at around 140, excluding manufacturer events (like GT4), missions, certain motorsport championships, and a couple of other “bonus leagues”. These are, with the exception of the motorsport championships, not tied to progression and are standalone events.

This also doesn’t include license test events, but those are one-makes for the most part, so not as much setup required.

Each event on a rough average has about 5 races, though there are outliers in either direction.

While I think it has the variety of classic GT careers, it doesn’t have the ease of use. I’ve been pondering the idea of scaling back a bit of the variety in order to utilise the game’s auto-generation grid fill, but you can’t choose the type of cars that it decides on.

So, I thought I would do an open poll, through the post reactions.

What would you rather have?

A: AI cars requiring a purchase and set up specifically to an event’s parameters (PP, model year, country of origin, certain tuning parts, drivetrain, etc.) Your car would also be required to meet the event regulations.

B: Events where you have to use a certain type of car, set up specifically to an event’s parameters, but the grid is auto-generated around your PP level. Thinking about it more, the event variety is still there for the most part, it’s just that the AI opponents will be using cars that aren’t the same type as yours.

If you’d prefer A, react with the thinking emoji (🤔)

If you’d prefer B, react with the shocked face emoji (😯)

Last edited:
Hey, all. You might remember some posts I made a few months back about a custom career I’m working on - been slacking at times, lots of details to fill in, so the scale has put me off for a while, but I’ve recommitted. Just a case of putting my head down and finishing it all.

In any case, I have reached a bit of an impasse regarding “pick up and play”. The current events are set up where you buy your car, each AI car, and tune it specifically to the event’s parameters. There are lots of events, all with different parameters, so the time it would take to do this is not small.

A very rough estimate puts the final “main leagues” event number at around 140, excluding manufacturer events (like GT4), missions, certain motorsport championships, and a couple of other “bonus leagues”. These are, with the exception of the motorsport championships, not tied to progression and are standalone events.

This also doesn’t include license test events, but those are one-makes for the most part, so not as much setup required.

Each event on a rough average has about 5 races, though there are outliers in either direction.

While I think it has the variety of classic GT careers, it doesn’t have the ease of use. I’ve been pondering the idea of scaling back a bit of the variety in order to utilise the game’s auto-generation grid fill, but you can’t choose the type of cars that it decides on.

A: AI cars requiring a purchase and set up specifically to an event’s parameters (PP, model year, country of origin, certain tuning parts, drivetrain, etc.)

B: Events where you have to use a certain type of car, set up specifically to an event’s parameters, but the grid is auto-generated around your PP level? Thinking about it more, the event variety is still there for the most part, it’s just that the AI opponents will be using cars that aren’t the same type as yours.

I think if you want to use Custom Races to create a competent experience, it will have to be A to get around the throttle and tyre limitations the mode has.

I think if you want to use Custom Races to create a competent experience, it will have to be A to get around the throttle and tyre limitations the mode has.
Yeah, with tyres, indeed, my plan was to just either stay with the vehicle default tyres, or Sports: Hard, depending on what cars were used in the event.

Regarding the throttle issue, at least with custom grids, last time I checked, you can actually reduce your ECU level after loading the event, and the AI cars will stay the same, as long as you don’t go into the option to select AI cars from your garage. It’s a neat trick that works well for one-makes, and you can do anything to your car without the grid changing. They’ll have your 100% ECU car, while yours is 95% or whatever you set it to.

I haven’t tested this with auto-generated grids, but I don’t see why it would change since the grid isn’t reloaded for custom races. I suppose it could be different here, but I’ll give it a go and see. If the grid doesn’t regenerate based on your lower PP after adjusting the ECU or power limiter, I think it could be viable.

Last edited:

A: AI cars requiring a purchase and set up specifically to an event’s parameters (PP, model year, country of origin, certain tuning parts, drivetrain, etc.)

B: Events where you have to use a certain type of car, set up specifically to an event’s parameters, but the grid is auto-generated around your PP level. Thinking about it more, the event variety is still there for the most part, it’s just that the AI opponents will be using cars that aren’t the same type as yours.

Option A ofcourse, how else would you make a themed grid? And I think the option B will be there basically when PD fixes the current grinding glitch.

Option A ofcourse, how else would you make a themed grid? And I think the option B will be there basically when PD fixes the current grinding glitch.
Indeed, you can’t make a themed grid, but it’s just that, as it is, with option A, it would take quite a bit of time to set everything up for certain events, as there are lots of them.

I know a good amount of custom race folk wouldn’t mind, but a more casual player might find it a bit of a chore to set up. It also requires quite a lot of credits overall - I haven’t figured out how many, but the value is based on not owning any of the cars required for the events.

I definitely don’t want to take away too much variety, and I appreciate everyone’s feedback - will definitely stick with option A if that’s what wins the vote, but I do think that it may push away some more casual players at the moment.

It’s just a balancing act, in my opinion. But with how GT7’s custom race works, I don’t think you can really get a middle ground, unfortunately, where you can still have themed grids.

Been going back and enjoying the first full custom grid I created. It's amazing to feel as though they're "worth it" to run again. I'm really thankful for the GT community and the amazing liveries that are shared in it. Here is my FIA GT1 2010 - 2011 grid. The liveries are close enough for immersion sake. I'm still holding out for the 2010 Maserati to be added.

I've modified the Lambo and Corvette to pretty much race equally with the race cars. Some tracks they are faster, other tracks they fall back a bit. But overall nobody is blasting past another in the straights.

It's #1b on my wishlist - #1a is to not have to own multiple versions of the same car in order to run different liveries on the same model in a custom grid.

My wishlist for custom races:

Custom Races
  • Raise payouts custom races to a fixed model based on class/PP, laps and difficulty. More laps with lower PP and high difficulty takes longer so needs higher payout.
  • Add qualification
  • Add seasons with multiple races
  • Add multiclass racing
  • Share custom race/tournaments setups in Showcase (including cars/tunes/liveries)
  • Fix bug with AI only 95% throttle output
  • Fix bug with standard tires
  • Apply pre-created racing plate numbers to all entries (separate svg!)
  • Ability to switch car in Custom Race menu
Tuning

• Share tuning sheets in Showcase
  • Ability to copy tuning sheets (incl parts, can be with or without paying) to the same duplicate car in your garage.
  • Easier access to engines
  • Bring back Race Modification from older GT’s: get a legal road car and make it a Gr. 4 by weight reduction, larger fuel tank, racing livery etc. Great for Touring Car racing!

Yes haha that would be amazing as well and save some money for extensive SuperGT Grids

Last edited:
Captured some pics of my 3rd round of my custom championship, where I completed a Daytona 500. To make things a little more interesting I opened up the field with 44 drivers competing in some qualifying races to make up the 20 car field in the 200 laps race, which resulted in some surprise driver’s qualifying for the big race and a few full time drivers missing the cut.

After being crashed in the early laps, I spent most of the race clawing my way back into contention. I was setting myself up to make a pass for the lead with a few laps to go when I got my rear bumper hooked by a driver in the tri-oval. By then the field was spread out so much I still recovered to finish 2nd while a one-off entry representing a team outside of the 10 teams competing in the full championship ended up claiming the win against the established teams!

IMG_4013.jpeg

IMG_4014.jpeg

IMG_4015.jpeg

IMG_4016.jpeg

IMG_4017.jpeg

IMG_4021.jpeg

IMG_4018.jpeg

IMG_4019.jpeg

IMG_4020.jpeg

Watched this weekend‘s TCR Asia round at Macau and the TCR World Tour. plus, some classic DTM at Macau. This is the next best thing for me to do.

Shame we don't have Seoul Circuit (do you remember it in GT4?), because somehow it reminded me Norisring Circuit (city circuit in Nuremberg, Germany... it host DTM races since 1984).

Last edited:
Shame we don't have Seoul Circuit (do you remember it in GT4?), because somehow it reminded me Norisring Circuit (city circuit in Nuremberg, Germany... it host DTM races since 1984).
For sure I remember. That’s the thing. There are a good helping of flat/level city tracks, in past GT games, that would help to replicate those races. Rome and Madrid have some inclines, but NY and maybe London( a bit tight) would be good circuits to utilise in this game.

I’m thinking about creating a 90s and 00s multi class series, mainly based on gt1 and gt2 cars. This is what i’ve come up with so far.

90s

Group c cars

Gt1

Jaguar xj220

Ferrari f40

Lambo diablo

Honda nsx

Dodge viper

Chevrolet c6 (c5 livery)

Gtr r33

Supra

————

00s

Gt1

Dodge Viper

Ford gt

Lambo murcielago

Pagani Zonda

Nissan Gtr

Aston martin Dbr9

Gt2

Honda Nsx

Porsche 911 997

Tvr tuscan

Chevrolet C6

Ferrari F430

Bmw m3

Be interested to hear people’s thoughts. The obvious omissions for the 90’s gt1 class are the mclaren f1, the clk and the 911 gt1 but I’m trying to keep costs down and as the cars are mainly road going versions I think the gr2 cars would probably be too OP.

Does anyone know how, if at all, the update affects the payouts for custom races?

I’ve seen people report that the payouts on races with low pp cars vs high pp cars were drastically reduced. And this is just stock low pp vs high pp, no other exploit shenanigans going on. So I wonder if “normal” custom races were affected.

Does anyone know how, if at all, the update affects the payouts for custom races?

I’ve seen people report that the payouts on races with low pp cars vs high pp cars were drastically reduced. And this is just stock low pp vs high pp, no other exploit shenanigans going on. So I wonder if “normal” custom races were affected.
What I see the normal custom races with PP on the same level are untouched. Payout increase with lower PP vs ultrahigh PP cars are drastically reduced.

My payouts have been slashed in half, even with my detuned car to make the race between myself and the AI more competitive… The race I setup with nearly 500k as the winning prize is only worth 230k

Something else...

Since we all know, that the AI is not going full throttle in custom races, here is a way how you can decrease your own power during the race, when it seems that your car is too fast or the AI too slow without stopping the race...

NOTE:this does not work for long endurance races!

Set the slider for fuel consumption befor the race to 1 in the race settings.
Then you can reduce the power of your car during the race with simply changig the fuel mangement and you don't have to abandon the race completly and go back to the tuning page.

My payouts have been slashed in half, even with my detuned car to make the race between myself and the AI more competitive… The race I setup with nearly 500k as the winning prize is only worth 230k
Truth. My N24 DTM race(4 laps) was 480k. It’s now 241,400Cr.

Edit: @Batschisane52 what I noticed with my N24 race and my races will fuel stops, due to the throttle and Boost Weal, there are varying fuel usage.
The lead AI, on that program, are burning fuel to build the gap. The cars mid-pack(where I do most my battles through the field), have slightly better fuel economy than me. Due to less throttle and some partial throttle to allow me to pass. The cars that are towards the rear, before the last lap, have the best fuel economy, as they slow down.

When “we” all pit, it was amazing(not really, but tells the story) to see the lead cars on 9% fuel remaining, my car & mid-pack AI at 13-16% and cars behind at 19%. In the end, the field is spread out about thirty seconds from P1 to P20.

Last edited:
Truth. My N24 DTM race(4 laps) was 480k. It’s now 241,400Cr.

Edit: @Batschisane52 what I noticed with my N24 race and my races will fuel stops, due to the throttle and Boost Weal, there are varying fuel usage.
The lead AI, on that program, are burning fuel to build the gap. The cars mid-pack(where I do most my battles through the field), have slightly better fuel economy than me. Due to less throttle and some partial throttle to allow me to pass. The cars that are towards the rear, before the last lap, have the best fuel economy, as they slow down.

When “we” all pit, it was amazing(not really, but tells the story) to see the lead cars on 9% fuel remaining, my car & mid-pack AI at 13-16% and cars behind at 19%. In the end, the field is spread out about thirty seconds from P1 to P20.
Like I mentioned, my little tip only works in races where fuel consumption doesn't matter...

When it comes to endurance custom races I made similar observations...the leading cars seem to use burn more fuel, but have to pit earlier...

Back