Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,363 comments
Typical AI 😂
Resistance is futile

We will all end up driving cars as an standard "chase the rabbit" AI for Sophy
arnold schwarzenegger terminator GIF

Me too, but unfortunately I still don't have all the cars needed :(

I had this bug yesterday in a BTCC custom race at Brands Hatch: my car (an Alfa Giulia with a Rob Austin replica livery and a BTCC-style tune), and three others, without their proper custom livery, regularly applied in the garage. Tried to restart the race, same issue. Then I exit the custom race mode, go back to the main menu, then back again to custom race mode and all was fine this time.

I wonder if this issue could depend by the use of the new "Change car" button in the circuit menu, because before going to the custom race I was actually in a completely different car, and this issue had never arisen before.

I need DTM tunes too... But I'm not in a hurry, as said before I still don't have all cars needed :banghead:

I still have the AI that uses 95% of the throttle even with Boost Weak (tested yesterday in that BTCC race) and honestly I can't figure why this happens. :confused:
The throttle percentage does factor in the programming, but it's still less than 100% with the AI still boosting to keep ahead and stay on my tail. I haven't checked throttle percentage in the SOPHY races or any other race event, for that matter.

Hi everyone !

So, Because I'm tired of having to repeat that rubber banding exists and isn't just a feeling, here is a short test I did today to show it better, supporting screenshoots. It may be quoted if useful.

3 identical races at Trial Mountain, the only difference between them being my pace. The grid is filled with my 1988 Group C cars for Le Mans. Official AG Porsche and Silk Cut Jaguar are meant to be a little bit quicker on the long run, but it doesn't really matters here. The rest of the field is meant to be on par.

CUSTOM RACE SETUP
Setup_1.jpg

Setup_2.jpg

Setup_3.jpg

Every penalty and flag are removed so it won't interfere for the last race. No tyre or fuel usage so it won't affect car performances. Time / Weather are fixed too for the same reasons, all of the 3 races must have the same track conditions. Boost is set off (At least that's what they're trying to make us believe).

RACE 1 :
The goal here is just to chill and stay out of the podium range.

Race_1_A.jpg

Race_1_B.jpg

My best lap was a 1'46'771, AI Jaguar set its fastest lap with a 1'45'522 on lap 2. I had to slow down from the 9th lap so I wouldn't disturb the 3 leading cars. I spun on lap 3, though...
Half of the field crossed the line after the 20 minutes mark, this is why they are so far, they have already finished their race.

RACE 2 :
Here we go again, but now it is time to push so we can see if rubber banding is happening. I took the lead on lap 7 :
Race_2_A.jpg

So let the **** begin :
Race_2_B.jpg

From 1'45'522 earlier during the first race to 1'41'985 now as I am in front of the pack...

Results :
Race_2_C.jpg

First but with a short margin, #23 Nissan took the best time on lap 9. That second race is 55 seconds shorter than the first one.

Now let's take a look on that #23 Nissan's top speed before my pass for the lead, and then, as it was setting the fastest lap of the race :
Race_2_D.jpg

Race_2_E.jpg

No slipstream involved here. Luckily, this isn't La Sarthe without chicane where I like to take these cars out.. I chose Trial Mountain just to save a little bit of my time, but it's really scary to see at LM.

RACE 3 :
The last test is the easiest one, stay in a corner where it won't slow down the AI :
Race_3_A.jpg

And here are the results :
Race_3_B.jpg

Race_3_C.jpg

1'53'643 and one lap less? Well done AI, I'm really impressed and afraid !

So, to summarize the results :

Race 1 / racing into the pack
  • 12 laps
  • time needed : 21'38'633
  • best AI lap : 1'45'522

Race 2 / racing for the win
  • 12 laps
  • time needed : 20'43'409
  • best AI lap : 1'41'093

Race 3 / dead last
  • 11 laps
  • time needed : 20'54'276
  • best AI lap : 1'53'643
So yeah, rubber banding is a thing. And "Stop asking for endurance races, do it by yourself!" Isn't the best answer.
I tryied a 6h endurance race on LM no chicane with that very grid. If you make the choice to save fuel and overcut, you'll be P1 after AI pitted which means they will push as hell to close the gap, but you.. you still need to pit.... So you box but will be back on track dead last after everyone made its pit stop... Then, AI slows down to let you pass again..

Set the boost off / weak / high doesn't disable rubber banding, it may increase or decrease its effects in weird ways depending on your cars / track combo, but it stays. That issue has to be addressed.

Hi everyone !

So, Because I'm tired of having to repeat that rubber banding exists and isn't just a feeling, here is a short test I did today to show it better, supporting screenshoots. It may be quoted if useful.

3 identical races at Trial Mountain, the only difference between them being my pace. The grid is filled with my 1988 Group C cars for Le Mans. Official AG Porsche and Silk Cut Jaguar are meant to be a little bit quicker on the long run, but it doesn't really matters here. The rest of the field is meant to be on par.

CUSTOM RACE SETUP
View attachment 1301423

View attachment 1301424

View attachment 1301425

Every penalty and flag are removed so it won't interfere for the last race. No tyre or fuel usage so it won't affect car performances. Time / Weather are fixed too for the same reasons, all of the 3 races must have the same track conditions. Boost is set off (At least that's what they're trying to make us believe).

RACE 1 :

View attachment 1301429

View attachment 1301430

My best lap was a 1'46'771, AI Jaguar set its fastest lap with a 1'45'522 on lap 2. I had to slow down from the 9th lap so I wouldn't disturb the 3 leading cars. I spun on lap 3, though...
Half of the field crossed the line after the 20 minutes mark, this is why they are so far, they have already finished their race.

RACE 2 :
Here we go again, but now it is time to push so we can see if rubber banding is happening. I took the lead on lap 7 :
View attachment 1301432

So let the **** begin :
View attachment 1301433
From 1'45'522 earlier during the first race to 1'41'985 now as I am in front of the pack...

Results :
View attachment 1301434
First but with a short margin, #23 Nissan took the best time on lap 9. That second race is 55 seconds shorter than the first one.

Now let's take a look on that #23 Nissan's top speed before my pass for the lead, and then, as it was setting the fastest lap of the race :
View attachment 1301436

View attachment 1301437
No slipstream involved here. Luckily, this isn't La Sarthe without chicane where I like to take these cars out.. I chose Trial Mountain just to save a little bit of my time, but it's really scary to see at LM.

RACE 3 :
The last test is the easiest one, stay in a corner where it won't slow down the AI :
View attachment 1301443

View attachment 1301444

View attachment 1301445

• 12 laps

• 12 laps

Race 3 / dead last
  • 11 laps
So yeah, rubber banding is a thing. And "Stop asking for endurance races, do it by yourself!" Isn't the best answer.
I tryied a 6h endurance race on LM no chicane with that very grid. If you make the choice to save fuel and overcut, you'll be P1 after AI pitted which means they will push as hell to close the gap, but you.. you still need to pit.... So you box but will be back on track dead last after everyone made its pit stop... Then, AI slows down to let you pass again..

Set the boost off / weak / high doesn't disable rubber banding, it may increase or decrease its effects in weird ways depending on your cars / track combo, but it stays. That issue has to be addressed.
That is less than a 0.007% change .

In a 20 min race there are 1200 seconds , a 7 second change means nothing . You gunning to win could very well change it if the margin is under a tenth of a percent!

That is less than a 0.007% change .

In a 20 min race there are 1200 seconds , a 7 second change means nothing . You gunning to win could very well change it if the margin is under a tenth of a percent!
We talk about a 12 seconds gap per lap (not 7), not for a duration of 20 minutes. 12 laps x 12s = a 2m24s gap between the fastest and the slowest pace. This is massive.

Last edited:
The throttle percentage does factor in the programming, but it's still less than 100% with the AI still boosting to keep ahead and stay on my tail. I haven't checked throttle percentage in the SOPHY races or any other race event, for that matter.
Sophy replays show the AI at full throttle but I have a suspicion the “95% throttle bug” thing is in play there, too. Our cars go faster than the AIs, and I’ve found my usual Custom Race detuning conventions apply to the new Quick Races brilliantly.

We talk about a 12 seconds gap per lap (not 7), not for a duration of 20 minutes. 12 laps x 12s = a 2m24s gap between the fastest and the slowest pace. This is massive.

Ah I thought it was 7 seconds for a 20 min race.

The AI is coded to slow down once they get past you.

The AI is not suitable for endurance racing because once it gets too far ahead it slows down permanently. Custom race is best enjoyed as a sub 12 lap sprint mode .

Hi everyone !

CUSTOM RACE SETUP
View attachment 1301423

View attachment 1301424

View attachment 1301425

RACE 1 :

View attachment 1301429

View attachment 1301430

RACE 2 :
View attachment 1301432

So let the **** begin :
View attachment 1301433

Results :
View attachment 1301434

View attachment 1301436

View attachment 1301437

RACE 3 :
View attachment 1301443

View attachment 1301444

View attachment 1301445

• 12 laps

• 12 laps

Race 3 / dead last
  • 11 laps

Thanks for all the research effort and receipts! You made this very easy to follow. Can I trouble you to run a fourth test where you have tuned your car to run at the Race 3 AI pace legitimately?

I can’t say I am optimistic but perhaps if we tuned everything PERFECTLY it could work? Race 3 seems to suggest that, without reacting to the player, the AI simply drives at THAT pace. Knowing GT, I am sure it is more convoluted and frustrating, but I think you may be very close to helping us confirm.

The AI is not suitable for endurance racing because once it gets too far ahead it slows down permanently. Custom race is best enjoyed as a sub 12 lap sprint mode .
Actually, endurance races are kind of possible with multiclass, only if you run into the lower category. This is what I did with my WEC championship, damages set on hard increased a lot the randomness though.

Thanks for all the research effort and receipts! You made this very easy to follow. Can I trouble you to run a fourth test where you have tuned your car to run at the Race 3 AI pace legitimately?

I can’t say I am optimistic but perhaps if we tuned everything PERFECTLY it could work? Race 3 seems to suggest that, without reacting to the player, the AI simply drives at THAT pace. Knowing GT, I am sure it is more convoluted and frustrating, but I think you may be very close to helping us confirm.
I'm going to try this tomorrow then.

I could even launch other races for each level of difficulty and every level of boost, but that would be a bunch of them.

Actually, endurance races are kind of possible with multiclass, only if you run into the lower category. This is what I did with my WEC championship, damages set on hard increased a lot the randomness though.
That's what I did with my IMSA championships, Heavy damage cause interesting results sometimes.
Me too, I have many WEC and IMSA custom race saved exactly with these settings, and they are the best custom races so far. Now also with good payouts, finally.

So here we go with a detuned car (probably not enough but still very slow)..

RACE 4 :
Losing ground until lap 5
Race_4_A.jpg

Race_4_B.jpg

I start to climb on lap 6 despite not being faster
Race_4_C.jpg

Race_4_D.jpg

Race_4_E.jpg

Race_4_F.jpg

I think having reached P10 is important here
Race_4_G.jpg

Race_4_H.jpg

Results :
Race_4_I.jpg

Race_4_J.jpg

AI P1 lap times :
Race_4_K.jpg

Player VS leading AI Lap times :
Race_4_L.jpg

I was able to overtake P19 AI into the first lap but it immediately took back its position, then AIs started to pull over from me until lap 5. Lap 6 is a turning point as I started to gain ground and then overtook them until I reached P10.

Once I was P10, the leading top 3 AI started to increase its pace. Even if I kept overtaking the others, these 3 were able to maintain the gap. I think rubber banding would have let me take 4th place but no more given the performance handicap that I inflicted on my car.

Until we get some classic JTCC road cars, I’m a one trick pony with DTM.

Great vid!
I also finished my DTM grid, so much fun.

Sometimes GT7 feels like a big playbox, it's really the best racing game ever. But it feels weird that we have to go such great lengths to create these kind of races. We have all the tools to recreate some amazing historical races, with complete liveries and most accurate cars, like a DTM season. Oh and some amazing Sophy AI!

But the setup is lot of work (and ingame money) and still not possible to create custom championships etc. Or to share these amazing custom race settings.

Imagine the possibilities of that.

Edit: I currently own 33 WRX Gr. 4, 22 BMW M3 Evolution, 9 Sierra Cossies, 5 190E, 4 R33, 6 R32... All just to have some JTC/DTM/BTCC racing.

Last edited:
Great vid!
I also finished my DTM grid, so much fun.

Sometimes GT7 feels like a big playbox, it's really the best racing game ever. But it feels weird that we have to go such great lengths to create these kind of races. We have all the tools to recreate some amazing historical races, with complete liveries and most accurate cars, like a DTM season. Oh and some amazing Sophy AI!

But the setup is lot of work (and ingame money) and still not possible to create custom championships etc. Or to share these amazing custom race settings.

Imagine the possibilities of that.

Edit: I currently own 33 WRX Gr. 4, 22 BMW M3 Evolution, 9 Sierra Cossies, 5 190E, 4 R33, 6 R32... All just to have some JTC/DTM/BTCC racing.

Just remove the shackles PD ffs

So here we go with a detuned car (probably not enough but still very slow)..

RACE 4 :

Player VS leading AI Lap times :

I was able to overtake P19 AI into the first lap but it immediately took back its position, then AIs started to pull over from me until lap 5. Lap 6 is a turning point as I started to gain ground and then overtook them until I reached P10.

Once I was P10, the leading top 3 AI started to increase its pace. Even if I kept overtaking the others, these 3 were able to maintain the gap. I think rubber banding would have let me take 4th place but no more given the performance handicap that I inflicted on my car.
Thank you - the pictures really help to show what’s going on! Not that I fully understand it…

It seems lap 6 could be relevant as a midpoint in the race, as I have felt that ‘things’ start to happen around the 50% mark that give the player a fighting chance at winning/the podium. Similarly, 10th place stands out (though to a lesser degree, to me) as the 50% mark of the pack of cars.

The lap times are not completely clear, when it comes to the specifics/reasons. Aside from that second lap, it seems the lead AI car drove at a ‘natural’ pace (but not exactly the 1:53ish ‘race 3 FL’ you balanced at) until it switched into granny mode for those few laps as you climbed through the field. Once you reached 10th, it went back to natural mode. Why the second (fastest) lap, though? And why not show similar times to Race 3?

Is it fair for me to assume the top 3 were the only ones that increased pace when you reached 10th? I can see you still passed a few more, and you commented you would’ve been eligible for 4th if given enough time. I’d think we’d see more of the granny times for the rest of the AI pack. Still curious about that second lap…

I guess I am as properly confused (and frustrated) as before? haha. “Weak boost” comes to mind as another tool in our toolbox, but it’s evident the rubberband is very in play and seemingly more difficult to ‘match’ than I had hoped! Mixed feelings about continuing the investigation, I’m not sure it can have a perfectly happy ending.

Thank you - the pictures really help to show what’s going on! Not that I fully understand it…

It seems lap 6 could be relevant as a midpoint in the race, as I have felt that ‘things’ start to happen around the 50% mark that give the player a fighting chance at winning/the podium. Similarly, 10th place stands out (though to a lesser degree, to me) as the 50% mark of the pack of cars.

The lap times are not completely clear, when it comes to the specifics/reasons. Aside from that second lap, it seems the lead AI car drove at a ‘natural’ pace (but not exactly the 1:53ish ‘race 3 FL’ you balanced at) until it switched into granny mode for those few laps as you climbed through the field. Once you reached 10th, it went back to natural mode. Why the second (fastest) lap, though? And why not show similar times to Race 3?

Is it fair for me to assume the top 3 were the only ones that increased pace when you reached 10th? I can see you still passed a few more, and you commented you would’ve been eligible for 4th if given enough time. I’d think we’d see more of the granny times for the rest of the AI pack. Still curious about that second lap…

I guess I am as properly confused (and frustrated) as before? haha. “Weak boost” comes to mind as another tool in our toolbox, but it’s evident the rubberband is very in play and seemingly more difficult to ‘match’ than I had hoped! Mixed feelings about continuing the investigation, I’m not sure it can have a perfectly happy ending.
First two laps look more like a "sample standard" pace for AI (yes, I guess AI laps at a similar pace on lap 1, it's just that the timer isn't kept). Nor aggressive, nor very slow, just the basic rhythm AI will follow in every race until it starts to react to player's position.

Trans Am Street

20829185338987005.jpg
20829808825928755.jpg

Been waiting for a Challenger to join the game again.
Boost Weak. AI we’re loving these. Got my behind whooped. Of course, computer cars have all aids on. With 801BHP(Dodge), 761BHP(Ford) and 718BHP(Chevy), all limited to about 300kph, makes it very lively in tight groups. Couldn’t move up the grid much and mad a mistake at the end of the penultimate lap. Didn’t get to complete the last lap as time ran out. :lol:
I‘m happy with this first test.

Hey everyone, long time reader first time poster in this thread!

I can definitely say I’ve been a big fan of the inclusion of the custom races since GT7 was released, and I knew it was something that would help me live out all of those racing fantasies from years gone by. Having used the custom races a little bit on GT Sport, I did think the idea of being able to add a full field of cars with your own liveries and setups wouldI transform the mode into something special which turned out to be true. It has certainly created a number of ideas for races and custom championships. It’s a shame that the tyre bug is still here and sometimes the rubberbanding can be frustrating in longer races, but it’s still a great experience nonetheless. I have my fingers crossed with that thing that’s become popular recently, that maybe PD will give some attention to some other features of custom races that need fixing.

I thought I would share a project I’ve been working on this year. I’ve trialled a hybrid Gen 2/Gen 3 Supercar Series with the Camaro SS, Mustang GT, Lexus RC F and BMW M4. Instead of doing an accurate grid, I instead created some fantasy teams with friends and family as drivers/managers to make a 20 car grid. I’ve had a few teething issues with balancing the performance of the cars early on (much like the real thing this year) and then once I got that sorted I did some endurance races where fuel consumption across the 4 cars became an issue as well. Thankfully I had a 500km race that helped make me aware of the problems and allowed me to make some fixes for running a Bathurst 1000 race. The fixes worked a lot better and all cars seemed to be on a more even playing field and created an interesting race watching the teams all move up and down the order!

It’s been a nice little trial run in 2023 and I’ll be making some changes for a 2024 series which will see the M4 dropped and maybe even the RC F going as well in favour of a Mustang v Camaro series. I’ve also started building a few different car sets like a Muscle Car Series, Truck Series, Mini Challenge, Porsche Cup and even a couple of Formula Series using the SF23 and Red Bull Junior.

Here are some photos I’ve grabbed from the opening 2 rounds of my Touring Car Series at Dragon Trail and Deep Forest!

IMG_3829.jpeg

IMG_3830.jpeg

IMG_3831.jpeg

IMG_3839.jpeg

IMG_3842.jpeg

IMG_3860.jpeg

IMG_3861.jpeg

IMG_3863.jpeg

IMG_3864.jpeg

IMG_3868.jpeg

IMG_3869.jpeg

IMG_3874.jpeg