Gran Turismo 7 Engine Swap Compatibility

• Thread starter Famine
  • 5,648 comments
I actually like that engines swaps are part of the rolette, it keeps it from being abused... I looking at you FM.
It also makes it more unique and hype if you do get one IMO.
A better way to do this could easily be implemented, but that isnt here nor there, locking it behind what are essentially random chance items just isnt fun. but i'll save that discussion for another time, because it wouldnt exactly fit the thread.

Last edited:
hi, i made this account to help with the list and add another engine swap. as you can see i'm extremely lucky and got 2 engines... the same engine 😨

FNhzKvOXsAA-zVL.jpg

Nissan
SR20DET-Silvia - Nissan Silvia S13 Ks '90, Nissan Silvia spec-R Aero (S15) '02

A better way to do this could easily be implemented, but that isnt here nor there, locking it behind what are essentially random chance items just isnt fun. but i'll save that discussion for another time, because it wouldnt exactly fit the thread.
Im yet to hear a good system for this that couldnt be abused.

Only thing I can think of is a one-time prize for a very difficult race or championship. You'd then keep the scarcity and you'd have to choose carefully what car to put that sweet engine into.

Only thing I can think of is a one-time prize for a very difficult race or championship. You'd then keep the scarcity and you'd have to choose carefully what car to put that sweet engine into.
Tokyo Extreme Racer 3 used a system where you have to drive your car until it gets to a certain mileage to unlock the engine swap for that car.

I’m trying to think back to the black prototypes, and how they were implemented. Because if my memory serves correctly, they were quite a rarity and definitely a bit of a unicorn feature, but there was no ‘roulette’ in sight. They just appeared in the used car dealer once in a blue moon.

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. I honestly can’t remember. But PD managed it once - creating rare and special assets available through luck of a sort and avoiding making the mechanic feel unfair - so it’s a bit disappointing that they couldn’t manage it again.

I can only think that it’s unfinished in terms of finding a way to get swaps into the game while keeping everything balanced. Maybe in the future there will be more ways of acquiring them. I hold out hope, but not much. I no longer get excited at winning a high star ticket!

Just been thinking... Anyone who has the RX- 13B-REW engine tried to plop it in a DeLorean? It was originally designed to have a wankel rotary, and I'm wondering if PD had a smidge of common sense about them...

I'm fine with the engine parts being locked to roulette but the fact you can ONLY get a roulette spin once you beat cafe ONCE a day is stupid. PD can bring back the mileage exchange to buy roulette tickets. Add the star tickets ( mixed back between coin's car's invitations and normal parts) and add a special parts ticket that has engine swaps, and is exclusive to ticket parts. This literally incentivizes you to drive.

Last edited:
View attachment 1122115

looks like the 787b engine is also compatible with the latest in game viper and 911 gt3rs
Wish I known this before chucking it in the rx .

So now that I have completed the cafe .... and got the worse out of the roulette naturally... but did get the 787 in the end woot woot . Dropped it in rx

But what now ?
How the hell am I mentioned to get any engines now if all I have is the useless daily roulette???????

Wish I known this before chucking it in the rx .

So now that I have completed the cafe .... and got the worse out of the roulette naturally... but did get the 787 in the end woot woot . Dropped it in rx

But what now ?
How the hell am I mentioned to get any engines now if all I have is the useless daily roulette???????
It’s not compatible with the Porsche or viper he understood the screen he was looking at. It shows you vehicles you have parts for it’s not a compatibility list for the engine.

Seasonal Event prize, should they implement them? 🤔 or what @NJ72 suggested as well, definitely makes the roulettes more fair.

Also, can confirm the DeLorean cannot have the RX-7 13B engine sadly, so that means i keep my RX-7 engine for a little while longer.

Last edited:
Don't forget brands are the ones who decide if they allow someone else's engine to be swapped into their car.

As for other ways to get access to more engines, I suggested somewhere one of two options (or even both):
-whenever you buy a new engine for a car, the old engine becomes available as a swap
-make a roulette exclusively for new engines, where the 5 options are all engines, and make that roulette obtainable via some sort of daily or weekly challenges (win X amount of races or whatever)*

*They should do a similar roulette for weight reductions stage 5 and other roulette exclusive parts.

Tokyo Extreme Racer 3 used a system where you have to drive your car until it gets to a certain mileage to unlock the engine swap for that car.
Yeah, I've always loved this method. If I'm not mistaken, you needed around 1200km driven in a single car to unlock swaps for that particular car.

That's a perfectly reasonable method, and hardly can be abused.

Last edited:
I actually like that engines swaps are part of the rolette, it keeps it from being abused... I looking at you FM.
It also makes it more unique and hype if you do get one IMO.
How is using a feature "abusing" it?

If PD didn't want every car to have a V8 or V10, they could have just, you know, not allow a V8 or V10 in every car.

Well to be fair, if they made them like that, nobody would have original engines in their cars, it would be weird. An engine swap should be somewhat rare IMO, not like going to buy a pack of gum from the corner shop.
You could say the same about car upgrades in general. Does the upgrade system mean nobody drive cars stock? I don't see how changing the engine is any different, it's an upgrade like any other in real life. It should simply be more expensive than any other, so you really have to decide if it's worth it.

Engine swaps in real life are rare because they're a) very hard work b) expensive and C) not particularly useful unless you're a serious enthusiast.

This is a game, for fun, where we can realise our wildest dreams not possible in real life. Or at least it should be.

There is no source for that, because it's rubbish. Forza and NFS will let you do all manner of swaps
Not necessarily. Forza used to only let you swap specific named engines from the same manufacturer, until Forza 5 where they were made generic (but still guessable) instead. NFS uses the same method.

PD meanwhile are using real world engine models/codes, which, while great from an encyclopaedic view, does potentially create some issues if certain car makers don’t want it. The fact they’ve managed to do any cross-brand swaps is kind of amazing to me honestly.

Last edited:
What's the highest HP you can get from a K20 in this game? I know real world are making 1000hp built and 500 with stock internals is common.

I don't think so. The Mono is listed there because the player has received a part from a roulette for it (exhaust, engine upgrade etc.)

Working out what's compatible is really quite annoying because it only tells you if the engine is compatible for the car you are currently using. I received a Porsche engine yesterday, at first it looked like I couldn't use it with anything, but after switching to a beetle it suddenly gained the option to be installed. Like I said, this is really annoying because to be 100% sure on what's compatible with what, I think you literally need to switch to every single car in your garage to check for compatibility.
Working out what's compatible is simple. What are the most common swaps for that engine? That's it. LS and a 13b in a Miata, so they have the LT1 and 13b in the Miata.

Porsche engine in air cooled VWs.

k20 in a civic....yup

2jz in a silvia...yup.

Just google most common swap for (insert engine) and you'll have a good idea what cars are compatible in the game.

What I want to know is weight and balance affected by engine swaps? is an LT1 in a Miata suddenly a nose heavy car?

Working out what's compatible is simple. What are the most common swaps for that engine? That's it. LS and a 13b in a Miata, so they have the LT1 and 13b in the Miata.

Porsche engine in air cooled VWs.

k20 in a civic....yup

2jz in a silvia...yup.

Just google most common swap for (insert engine) and you'll have a good idea what cars are compatible in the game.

What I want to know is weight and balance affected by engine swaps? is an LT1 in a Miata suddenly a nose heavy car?
i wouldnt say 13b miata is more common than kmiata

Back