Gran Turismo 7 Engine Swap Compatibility

• Thread starter Famine
  • 5,648 comments
it seems like the celica ecu doesnt work/doesnt work as good for the swap as the one from the corolla
Iirc was a problem only for Us ecu for some kind of crap immobilizer. Eu/jdm should be fine. Anyway swapping without at least a PowerFC is a waste of time.

Any engine swaps compatible with the Honda S800 ‘66?
I checked with the only engine I've gotten, the RX-7 one. Unfortunately, it's a no :(.

On a totally unrelated note, I don't remember '89 Miatas being this quick ;)

Attachments

• 17f8dc3714a78-ea06D2483C34806B0F9.7497972122D7EDF3_message_421721674031968_1647350289187.jpg
    17f8dc3714a78-ea06D2483C34806B0F9.7497972122D7EDF3_message_421721674031968_1647350289187.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 65
How is using a feature "abusing" it?

If PD didn't want every car to have a V8 or V10, they could have just, you know, not allow a V8 or V10 in every car.

You could say the same about car upgrades in general. Does the upgrade system mean nobody drive cars stock? I don't see how changing the engine is any different, it's an upgrade like any other in real life. It should simply be more expensive than any other, so you really have to decide if it's worth it.

Engine swaps in real life are rare because they're a) very hard work b) expensive and C) not particularly useful unless you're a serious enthusiast.

This is a game, for fun, where we can realise our wildest dreams not possible in real life. Or at least it should be.
Agreed. I think a way they could do it is have GT Auto randomly get an engine in stock to buy for a limited time. You then have to give them the car you are swapping the engine into, lose access to the car for 24hr-72hr something like that while they "work on it", and have the price be high due to the cost of the engine and the "labor" costs, and the more rare the engine the higher the cost would be.

So if you're swapping an LT or LS from a Chevy it should be maybe 500k? 750k for a 13B-REW. Maybe 2mil for the 787b engine (can't think of the name). You'd be investing time and a decent amount of credits into an engine swap, they'd still be restricted to the cars PD currently allows, but it would be pulling the game mechanic out of a double rng system (rng as to whether you get a 4*+ ticket, then rng as to whether you get the engine)

Having a "prize engine" for certain tournaments would be another one. For the American Club championship have the Corvette or Hellcat engine as a prize. For Gr.1 races (assuming we ever get them, lol) have the 787b engine as a prize. I don't know, anything other than the system we currently have. I get PD wanting to avoid the Forza situation where engine swaps are so easy as to be mundane, I don't really want that either, but I also want a reasonable way to access engine swaps either through high payments, miles driven, winning an event, etc.

Agreed. I think a way they could do it is have GT Auto randomly get an engine in stock to buy for a limited time. You then have to give them the car you are swapping the engine into, lose access to the car for 24hr-72hr something like that while they "work on it", and have the price be high due to the cost of the engine and the "labor" costs, and the more rare the engine the higher the cost would be.

So if you're swapping an LT or LS from a Chevy it should be maybe 500k? 750k for a 13B-REW. Maybe 2mil for the 787b engine (can't think of the name). You'd be investing time and a decent amount of credits into an engine swap, they'd still be restricted to the cars PD currently allows, but it would be pulling the game mechanic out of a double rng system (rng as to whether you get a 4*+ ticket, then rng as to whether you get the engine)
They way things are looking now, people would complain about having to wait real time and it costing too much. I kinda had the same idea, tbh. Except I'd make people play a qt game to represent doing it yourself.

Its funny how people complain about the rng part and prizes, but no one complains about all the rng used cars in the game. Out of sight, out of mind I suppose.

As the users above mentioned, I think the system currently is too RNG-based.

I think a reasonable system would be if all the engines are available in GT Auto, however, they are not purchasable.

Just simply having a permanent slot in the roulette for an engine swap "voucher" that's redeemable in GT Auto would fix the excessive RNG aspect without diluting the rarity of the feature too much. On average, assuming you complete the daily workout every day for a month, and equal odds in the roulette, you would get around 4-5 engine swap tickets per month. I think that's rather fair.

Basically the mechanic would be as follows:

1. Win an Engine swap "ticket" from a permanent spot on the roulette ticket.
2. Head to GT Auto to buy your engine of choice with the ticket + Credits
3. Perform an engine swap with a compatible car with Credits

4 star ticket roulette, 5k prize, all of my tickets with smallest amount possible, no engine swap no secret parts like stage 5 redo and ultra turbo, im starting to get nervous to this game.
same - I think I got about $500k once and an upgrade part (nothing amazing) another time but pretty much always the lowest amount possible.

while frustrating for sure I'm not overly fussed about it. I'm sure it wont be this way forever and PD while make a change to how it works at some stage.

This mechanic is stupid give us the swaps let us grind the cash and buy the dang swaps

random Swaps or the stupidest thing I have ever came across in a game and the way they lock you out of doing certain things to the motors like only being able to super charge some cars and not being able to turbo them instead makes absolutely no sense you can turbo a corvette in real life you can also super charge it why can’t we do it on the game

This game has so much potential to be one of the best Car games for PS players it’s the closest thing we have to forza and forza is hands down the best car based community games hands down the Drag races Scene on YouTube has been killing it HRCReddy dedicated his hole YouTube to forza and killed it I feel GT7 could be our forza on PS we just need more freedom with custom parts for cars

Iv hosted some bad ass lobby already in GT7 the potential is there we just need more build diversity and all around customization options to set us apart from one another !

Last edited by a moderator:
LT1 into MX5/Miata swap is mental. Tuned to 854hp, and weight dropped to 961kg. Only downside is, fully customisable gearbox is broken. First 5 ratios don't change more than a few kph from stock, unless you make extreme changes.

Like this (clip with gearbox setup as screenshot below)

It's a stupid swap. Absolutely stupid. Literally pointless.

I LOVE it*

*Well, I will when they fix the gearbox issue.

Attachments

• 1647391671777.jpg
    1647391671777.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
As you'll be aware by now, GT7 has engine swaps! Yay! 🎉

The mechanism seems to entirely luck-based
If you get a chance to ask PD then i would really like to know why so much in GT7 is decided by random chance
The star rating of your gift car, the value of the gift from your gift card. The spare parts are random and doesn't seem to reflect your car inventory. The invitations to purchase special cars. The 3 cards when you complete some of the menu cards.

I won a hellcat motor but don't want to swap it into the old charger. That already has a V8. I'm gonna hold onto it and hope there's something more interesting to swap it in
I'd hold on to it, personally. I reckon the engine swaps will be expanded in the future to include new cars that the engine will slot in to. At least that's what I'm holding on to, because I sure as hell want to put a 26B or a 13B-REW in to an RX-8 and currently that's not possible :(

LT1 into MX5/Miata swap is mental. Tuned to 854hp, and weight dropped to 961kg. Only downside is, fully customisable gearbox is broken. First 5 ratios don't change more than a few kph from stock, unless you make extreme changes.

I LOVE it*

Their is an American company (can't remember their name) that sells the full parts to drop a Chevy LS3 engine into any generation MX-5/Miata. They'll do it for you if you live nearby and have enough money. Would love to do that

I'd hold on to it, personally. I reckon the engine swaps will be expanded in the future to include new cars that the engine will slot in to. At least that's what I'm holding on to, because I sure as hell want to put a 26B or a 13B-REW in to an RX-8 and currently that's not possible :(
I really hope PD do this. Right now the choices are really limited, and biased towards JDM and US engines. For us Europeans there’s only the Porsche swap. Same goes for European cars in the game in general, but that’s a different matter.

I want to be able to swap the Audi 2.5 turbo 5 cylinder into my real life car (mk6 Golf R). There’s no Audi with that engine in the game, and the mk6 R isn’t in the game either (although I seem to remember the mk6 R being in either GT5 or GT6).

I’ve got a lot of hopes pinned on future updates!

Their is an American company (can't remember their name) that sells the full parts to drop a Chevy LS3 engine into any generation MX-5/Miata. They'll do it for you if you live nearby and have enough money. Would love to do that
Flyin' Miata I believe.

@TFSI400 - couldn't agree more. I'm hoping that they include engines for other cars, even if the car isn't in the game. Gotta be an easy thing to model relative to the rest of the game. Weight and power curve, then tuning options for said engine - compared to modelling a whole car with handling dynamics etc. that must be easier.

I have my fingers crossed for a 20B triple rotor... :P

Last edited:

I LOVE it*

Does this mean you cannot adjust the gearbox at all with this engine swap?

^^ 7:16

The 2JZ-GTE in this video weighs 517 lbs / 234.5 kg without the transmission, thats the same as my other source too. The SR20DET is much physically smaller, has one less turbo, and doesn't have the extremely overbuilt cast iron block that the 2J has. I don't know if the weights I have are apples to apples, but it seems questionable... 🤔.

I hope PD have LT / LS engine weights correct too, as their lightness and small physical size relative to their displacement is a big part of the appeal.

Last edited:
Stock TT/manifold setup probably adds on some weight but that is lighter than I was expecting.

SR20 weights I've seen are all over the place. Some say 330lbs. Some say it's barely lighter than a KA24 (370lbs). Some say 450lbs with the transmission. Some say the transmission is less than 100lbs.

I'm not really sure what we should be using as an realistic running weight but either way, you're looking at a noticeably bigger weight difference than what the game is quoting.

I got an engine from the roulette spin, it's the engine that is in the '97 Supra RZ...and it's compatible with the Supra RZ...why would I swap the engine for the one already in the car? Am I missing something here?

I got an engine from the roulette spin, it's the engine that is in the '97 Supra RZ...and it's compatible with the Supra RZ...why would I swap the engine for the one already in the car? Am I missing something here?
Just incase you wanted a completely stock engine again. But that engine also goes in one of the Silvia models can’t remember which though

Just incase you wanted a completely stock engine again. But that engine also goes in one of the Silvia models can’t remember which though
ah right, so it only shows the compatible cars currently in my garage...

Didn't see the point to replacing the engine as I can do that from the Tuning parts menu anyway.

Last edited:
ah right, so it only shows the compatible cars currently in my garage...

Didn't see the point to replacing the engine as I can do that from the Tuning parts menu anyway.
Are you sure it's a 2jz engine and not an engine replacement for the supra? Cause apparently you can win those in the roulette too!

Last edited:
Back