(Gran Turismo 7) If you were to purchase the McLaren F1 '94 currently in Hagerty's with just purchased credits, the cost is quite an eye opener.

you can do a track day in a super car for less than $200. I know which one I would prefer to do.
No, you can't. What you can do with $200 is; driving a supercar for a few laps VERY SLOWLY, and that's about it. Even if you bring your car, and your car is pretty slow FF econo box, your hourly cost is roughly $300 unless you drive very slowly. Although the following price list is for a bit more than an hour (more like 1.2-1.5 hours), but these are pretty much what you should expect when you're driving someone else's cars for an hour on track at full blast. If you drive your car, then multiply 0.25-0.5 depending on how much you preserve the consumables (mixing cooling laps, etc).
track.png

No, you can't. What you can do with $200 is; driving a supercar for a few laps VERY SLOWLY, and that's about it. Even if you bring your car, and your car is pretty slow FF econo box, your hourly cost is roughly $300 unless you drive very slowly. Although the following price list is for a bit more than an hour (more like 1.2-1.5 hours), but these are pretty much what you should expect when you're driving someone else's cars for an hour on track at full blast. If you drive your car, then multiply 0.25-0.5 depending on how much you preserve the consumables (mixing cooling laps, etc).
View attachment 1127257
thanks for that; I guess my rudimentary research only showed the super slow laps.
I'll still say that I'd rather drop 2 grand to drive a Cayman around a track full blast for an hour than spend $200 to own a car in a video game.

View attachment 1127257
Edit: I'm talking about track days! NOT super car rentals, LOL.
This depends on the track day in what part of the planet. SOME track do have $200/days, that would be like a week day and its an organization that has like 100 cars on the track (or close to the limit) to max out on their earnings. But they are typically $395 and up, sometimes $700-$800 for two days.

I've done a track day at Laguna Seca in my Viper, by the end of the first session I knew the pirelli p-zero grips are ****** tires and I needed better brake pads! I was able to run the car through all five 20-minute sessions. From what I remember I paid $395 back in 2017.

Last edited:
Edit: I'm talking about track days! NOT super car rentals, LOL.
This depends on the track day in what part of the planet. SOME track do have $200/days, that would be like a week day and its an organization that has like 100 cars on the track (or close to the limit) to max out on their earnings. But they are typically $395 and up, sometimes $700-$800 for two days.

I've done a track day at Laguna Seca in my Viper, by the end of the first session I knew the pirelli p-zero grips are ****** tires and I needed better brake pads! I was able to run the car through all five 20-minute sessions. From what I remember I paid $395 back in 2017.
No. That's just entry fee. The biggest spending comes from the consumables, tires/pads/petrol/etc. However, the degree of wear and tear is heavily affected by your speed as well as how you drive, the duration of your sessions, etc. If you're fast enough, the tire lifespan is usually somewhere between 1-2 hour (for the continuous full attack mode) and 3-4 hours (with some cool down laps + short sessions). Also, pads usually last only somewhat longer than that (similar to fluid and oil), and rotors last quite a bit longer than pads, but nothing last a dozens of track days. So these are far more expensive than the entry fee.

Also, cheaper track days usually bring too many people, including too many slow crowds, and you got much less time slots. As such, you can't really do much on such environment. For FIA grade 1 European tracks, anything below $500/day is usually too crowded. $500-1,000/day is either hit (i.e. not too much slow folks, 3-4 hours seat time) or miss. Anything over $1,000/day is usually okay, but if you want a secluded environment, you need an order of magnitude higher spending (and there are some people do this). American tracks are usually a bit cheaper, but still pretty similar.

I've done so many track days so I can't even count it, nor the number of tires I've burnt. All I can tell for sure is I've done track days over 100 tracks around the world and my Laguna Seca time is 1:31.8.

Don't forget that the cost of the Credit packs is scaled to encourage you to buy more, the Cr.2m one is less than half the price (per credit) of the Cr.100k one. Yet these have no cost of production, no economy of scale in production exists, it's a mechanism that only exists to reward you if you spend more on the microtransactions, and has denominational splits designed to get you to up-spend.

Good point. Added.

After looking at the real world Hagerty website, it seems to me that PD have foolishly struck a deal where they are forced to price cars according to Hagerty's valuation system. They might be unable to price cars lower, because that would go against the prices you can find using the Hagerty's tool. Here https://www.hagerty.com/valuation-tools/mclaren/f1/1994/1994-mclaren-f1 Hagerty's has valued a McLaren F1 at $17m.
If PD tried to sell the McLaren F1 at, say, $3m, Hagerty's would likely protest - because they would never value an F1 like that irl. So that, to me, explains the 18m credits for the F1. PD have no choice in the matter.
Where they do have a choice is in the cost of credits on PSN and the rewards for races. Both of these need to be buffed in favour of the consumer.
I know this is now 7 pages ago but I did a deeper peruse just now on Hagerty's site of their values for road cars (since the racers are absent) that have already been seen in GT7's legendary (including today's GT40) and to an extent used dealers, matching closest to model/year/spec in their listings. Of course, I'm not gonna sign up to Hagerty to see the concours condition or excellent condition values, so all I see is 'good condition' values. The Legend dealer is consistently on the models rotated in so far charging in credits a number around 20% higher (sometimes more, sometimes less) than the US$ number good condition valuation on Hagerty, which I guess might be a concours or excellent condition valuation. The disparity is much larger on lower value classics like the Corvette C2, and those that land in the UCD (the 300ZX, Golf GTI, etc. cost multitudes more than the Hagerty good condition value).
I think your assessment of the link between them is very real. That would suggest models like the F40 and 288 GTO coming in/coming back close to 3 million credits (Hagerty good condition value hovering around 2-2.5 million), the 365 GTB/4 Daytona above 1 million, etc.

It's frustrating because Gran Turismo is not the real world, so it shouldn't have to conform to the real world's limitations and valuations. It's anti-player to do so.

Someone else in this thread (cba finding the post now at 2am, so apologies for being off topic vs. the quote) talked about how if the legend dealer had a couple more slots than the 5 that rotate, it would help. I'd counter, why must it rotate? It's anti-player to rotate. In GT4, the brands that had legendary cars or whatever it was in their dealers had them sitting there available all the time. The ones you could buy, could be bought whenever you had the credits and the desire in a game economy that wasn't as punishing as GT7. The ones shown to you that couldn't be bought clearly had to be won somewhere, so you at least knew they were obtainable through the game. Occasionally a used one of them would show in the UCD that rotated based on player interaction, so if you came back to the game after a few days not playing they (and the whole UCD) would be where they left off. The rotating of the legends dealer and UCD by real time, and the brand central time-limited invitations generally found in roulettes, is purposefully designed to pressure you into either spending a disproportionate amount of your time in the game grinding, or (their corporate preference) paying real money to ensure you get a unicorn before it rotates out/expires, unsure when it'll come again. Yes, this has good points - it means some things stick around long enough for you to earn the credits to buy them rather than you trying to earn credits forcing them to rotate out, but your actions rotating it also meant that you could also rotate the UCD back around to bring it back quickly too. Rotating via real time is a frustrating dynamic because some of us won't be accessing the game that often for some periods due to life. For example, I was studying abroad without my PS4 when GT Sport launched. The times I was home and could play, some of the Gr3 road cars, safety cars, paints etc. had never rotated into the mileage exchange (or I'd hit the exact same rotated set a few months apart), so I didn't even encounter some of them until nearly 2 years after the game came out. I'm going to be out of the country for most of June this year, so it's mildly annoying that I'll miss several things I might want rotating in that wouldn't appear again for maybe months. Because with the same 5 car limit on the legend dealer, but with more cars added to it via updates, the length of time between things showing up again is only going to expand. The game is specifically designed to try to pressure you to pay real money in MTs, whether they do that in obvious ways (with the prompt to pay on the GT7 home screen before you start the game) or subtly (by making things crazy expensive with a tight time limit and a passive prompt sitting there all the time).

Tying back to the rest of the comment, the deal with Hagerty (a company that won't let me view the value of something in concours or excellent condition on their website without me paying them) is designed to make this problem worse.

Last edited:
You would have to be an idiot to buy the McLaren F1 with real money in this game.
I'm not sure if people realize how many people in the world make alot of money, like for real,i know of many people who made way more money than myself.
I had one friend who made $200 an hour from the time he left the shop until he got back which could be 6 hours to 3-4 days, make like $20,000 in less than a week.To him to buy that car would be an hours pay.
I've know many people who made from 10s of 1000s to millions flipping real estate.
And that's just a tip of the iceberg with all the money that's out there.
Years ago Warcraft used to sell special mounts/pets by purchase only at 20 or $25 each and sell millions of them over the years.
It's all about revenue income and it's not good that this game has gone down that path @$200+ for one car. :boggled:

Last edited:
View attachment 1127257
What a rip off. Much cheaper here in the UK.

But regardless I think the point was - with 200 Dollars, you can have driving experiences that you will remember for a lifetime, compared to buying a digital car.

I'm not sure if people realize how many people in the world make alot of money, like for real,i know of many people who made way more money than myself.
I had one friend who made $200 an hour from the time he left the shop until he got back which could be 6 hours to 3-4 days, make like $20,000 in less than a week.To him to buy that car would be an hours pay.
I've know many people who made from 10s of 1000s to millions flipping real estate.
And that's just a tip of the iceberg with all the money that's out there.
Years ago Warcraft used to sell special mounts/pets by purchase only at 20 or $25 each and sell millions of them over the years.
It's all about revenue income and it's not good that this game has gone down that path @$200+ for one car. :boggled:
People paying for the cars are most likely not rich.

Its people that are susceptible to FOMO, and need to have certain things. Those with a normal and rational train of thought would never consider paying any money for this stuff.

You put Limited Stock on something, and it's predatory. Much like the Loot Box discussion, regarding addicts.

There's no exaggeration, it is a cash grab. Every time you click on a car to buy (including the timed invitations, used and legendary cars) you are invited to top up your credits. That's cash grabbing. Here's a car you can't afford that will only be availalbe to buy for another day, it can still be yours now for £X.

I don't think anyone has argued they should have all the expensive cars right away, but what's been presented is such an inflated price point in relation to the in game economy it'll take some people literal years for them to obtain just one.

Agreed, but these RPG's also tend to have hundereds of hours worth of content and things to do without repeating yourself.

They were, but GT7 is the hardest game to save Cr for, the most effiicient Cr per hour net you less than 1m Cr per hour. In other games it was always more than that, except earlier GT titles, but GT1-4 had much different car prices (GT1 the most expensive cars for 500,000Cr, GT2's were 2m Cr, I think GT3's was the same and GT4's was 4.5m Cr. And you could save up to buy the most expensive cars in all of those in an hour or two without repeating the most efficient means.

GT5 onwards threw that economy scale out the window by reducing prize Cr in many instances (outside of one off prizes) and inflating prices massively.

There's clearly a balance to be had, as you progress in the game the amount of Cr per minute should sufficiently increase. GT7 appears to have two big problems in this area, firstly, the most eficient races to grind Cr are not end game races and secondly there isn't that much in the way of race events and championships to prevent excessive grinding.

As it is, it would take over 20hrs of grinding the most efficient race (and landing the clean race bonus each time) to afford the McLaren F1 alone. On top of that, there are numerous other elite level cars (including at least one that is more expensive) that you need to keep grinding for if you have any hope of obtaining any of them.

The game should be long enough and balanced enough that by the time you have reached the late/end game races, you can naturally afford some of the more expensive cars. You don't need to be able to afford all without grinding, of course not, but you should be able to afford something that rewards you for reaching that late stage of the game.

As I said before, there's a balance to be had, and a perfecly balanced game that's well designed will see a person winning all their races having little need for repetition outside of choosing to repeat events by choice alone.
Except the thing with the cash grab I agree with you totally. The main problem is the lack of events, more rewarding endgame events and you should be able to afford something at the end of a campaign, at least one legendary car without grinding, absolutely.
The state we have right now is a result of lazyness or (more likely) false assasment in my opinion, the role of microtransactions isn’t as big as people claim it to be here as I see it, and that’s the point I want to make.
I for myself don’t feel forced or annoyed with the microtransactions in the game, but yeah it is still not something appreciate, especially not in a full price game.

Let me see your Jaguar Xj13, Mclaren F1 and Porsche 917K. If you didnt felt any then you somehow bought those cars without MTX.

Fm7 has Porsche 917/20.
How does FM7 play in all seriousness, I started playing FM3 after GT5 disappointment and loved the mammoth content but felt the physics were a bit ‘thin’ of that makes sense?

Last edited:
You also have to factor in those with 15/16 million saved up already or are close to having enough for whatever car for that matter. They hope you see the option of topping up that last bit instead of grinding more, you can cut a days grinding if you pony up and get the car. I don't think they hope even the mega rich will just pay $200-300 for a car, more like the last quarter or third in paid credits once it's available/teased.

Sickening really but that's the industry today.

Last edited:
How does FM7 play in all seriousness, I started playing FM3 after GT5 disappointment and loved the mammoth content but felt the physics were a bit ‘thin’ of that makes sense?
FM7 is fun and has a great variety of cars. I do think GT Sport was more polished and had better physics. The AI is pretty bad in both, but grid starts in Forza are better than the rubbish PD dish up. There are pros and cons to both games, but I spent considerably more time in Sport. Once I finished the campaign in FM7 I was pretty much done with it. I will add that a lot of my time in Sport was doing over 1000 daily races in Sport mode. If it was just to be judged on single player the time spent on each would be closer. FM7 multiplayer cant hold a candle to GT imo.

If everything was affordable after an hour, what's the point in money? There would be no sense of accomplishment.
Forza is an example of a game that hands out money and cars like they're nothing and it gets boring quick, in my opinion. Some people like that, which I understand. GT offers a sense of earning what you want.

By that arguement, Project cars 2 and Asetto Corsa are Complete Dumpster Fire because all cars are given away for free.

This logic LMAO.

Last edited:

By that arguement, Project cars 2 and Asetto Corsa are Complete Dumpster Fire because all cars are given away for free.

This logic LMAO.
They're different games. GT has a focus on car collection, tuning, culture. Those games are focused purely on racing. GT and Assetto Corsa are two of my favourite games, but for different reasons.
Not a lot of logic knocking about in your head apparently.

I did a deeper peruse just now on Hagerty's site of their values for road cars (since the racers are absent) that have already been seen in GT7's legendary (including today's GT40) and to an extent used dealers, matching closest to model/year/spec in their listings. Of course, I'm not gonna sign up to Hagerty to see the concours condition or excellent condition values, so all I see is 'good condition' values. The Legend dealer is consistently on the models rotated in so far charging in credits a number around 20% higher (sometimes more, sometimes less) than the US$ number good condition valuation on Hagerty, which I guess might be a concours or excellent condition valuation. The disparity is much larger on lower value classics like the Corvette C2, and those that land in the UCD (the 300ZX, Golf GTI, etc. cost multitudes more than the Hagerty good condition value).
I think your assessment of the link between them is very real. That would suggest models like the F40 and 288 GTO coming in/coming back close to 3 million credits (Hagerty good condition value hovering around 2-2.5 million), the 365 GTB/4 Daytona above 1 million, etc.

It's frustrating because Gran Turismo is not the real world, so it shouldn't have to conform to the real world's limitations and valuations. It's anti-player to do so.
The presumed deal between PD and Hagerty's which links the Legend car prices in the game to the actual real-life valuations offered by Hagerty's seems to me a consequence of Kaz spending too long hob-nobbing with the high-rollers at Pebble Beach. He wants to make us pay 'real world' prices but denies us the mechanisms we would have in the real world to realise the best prices for selling our own cars. A deal with Christies, for example, would balance this mechanism by letting us sell cars for real world prices too.
And of course in the real world, as a successful racer, I would get sponsorship revenue. In game, you could earn revenue, perhaps, by allowing sponsors to have their logo on your car.
So PD has put a lot of thought into 'realistic' car world ways of taking money off us - but almost no thought into 'realistic' car world ways of allowing us to earn money.

Kaz says:
At the same time the pricing of cars is an important element that conveys their value and rarity, so I do think it’s important for it to be linked with the real world prices.

Well, if the pricing of cars is such an important element in conveying their value and rarity - let us sell our cars in a way that is linked to real world prices too. That's only fair and would very much add to the realism of GT7 in a positive way.

In fact, I wouldn't feel nearly so bad about spending $200 on microtransactions to get the McLaren F1 if I knew that - at some future point - I could just sell it and get most of my money back (or more - given real world car price inflation).
Imagine buying a car in-game that was tied to Hagerty's real world prices and watching it accumulate value! My investment of $200 on in-game currency, linked to real-world prices, could see me with $400 worth of credits if someone sold a McLaren F1 for $36m in the real world. I could then sell my F1 in-game for $400 worth of credits and I would be very happy indeed to have paid the $200 for it in the first place, rather than 'owning' a car I can only 'discard' for nothing and feeling totally ripped off by PD and their MTX.

EDIT: Worth noting also that as things stand, if someone DOES sell a McLaren F1 for $36m irl, Hagerty's valuations WILL change accordingly, and the in-game price will follow suit. So we're already being forced to play this one-sided 'game'.

Last edited:
They're different games. GT has a focus on car collection, tuning, culture. Those games are focused purely on racing. GT and Assetto Corsa are two of my favourite games, but for different reasons.
Not a lot of logic knocking about in your head apparently.
Gt7 is the only game that actually focus on car collection. Rest of the Gt games do not interested in if you collect all cars or not. Tuning is a thing Pc2 and Assetto Corsa either. About Culture ehh Gt7 has some dialogs and features but not exactly a big deal.

Those games are quite similar actually thats why people compare them usually.

I went to look at the 2002 NSX-R prices in Brand Central since I just recently finished the menu and that was one of my favorite cars from older GTs. $500k....I thought that was insane. Went to see other sports car, that is basically more than all the 911GT3s combined(I think), more than Ferraris in UCD...

No. You're using yourself as an example to dismiss the criticism. You're not slick.

Keep repeating it. People might believe you.

The current state of the game is how PD deliberately released it. There's no reason for the game to be in the state it is in now other than that's how PD wanted it. Event payouts were PD's decision. Career structure was PD's decision. The amount of events was PD's decision. The microtransactions were either PD or Sony's decision. The cost of them was either PD or Sony's decision. This isn't "the game was claimed to be done but released in a disastrous state" like GT5 was. This was the game as they intended it to be; up to and including making major changes to it after the review period was largely over so they could try to get away with it. It's notable that Kaz did not do the "please understand we're actively working to solve all the problems" song and dance from GT5 and GT6 and GT Sport until after the disastrous response to patch 1.07.

There's no telling when (or, frankly, after GT6, even if) "a lot of events and stuff" will come to the game. The current state of the game is the game after PD deliberately modified it to make it harder to earn credits. The current state of the game is what we have now. Not some probably-imaginary future that Kaz wants people to believe will happen so they stop review-bombing the game and ripping it on social media and YouTube due to PD's own actions.
Sorry man (or boy) but you act childish.

It seems PD is morally and ethical bankrupt.
A half baked game is raising eye brows, but €200 for a virtual car is nonsenses.

Three things come to mind.
First, linking a game with the real world seems a great idea, at a Management Team desk, but conflicts with real people and real life. Spending €70 on a game is for some already a lot of money. Tripling that amount for a virtual car is bizar.
Second, €200 for a virtual car. Megatransactions come to mind, instead of micro. Dutch law (where I live) started a investigation to see if these thinks can be banned at other games where you can buy a pack. I think it should be banned when young children can put themself in debt with this bizar figures for a virtual car in a game.
Third, it proves again that PD took a wrong turn an is unable to get to the right path. Make things perfect or close to perfect and similar to the real world makes things dull, detached and annoying.

So what is the solution?
Don’t buy it, keep reacting and perhaps management of PD can see, feel and hear that they can return to the right path. A fun racing game where people can race cars they could never afford in real life. And still see, feel and hear how that’s like.

Last edited:
I'm sorry that your hero turned out to be a greedy money grubber. It's a disappointment to a lot of us who had respect for Polyphony and Mr. Yamauchi. But that's how the world goes sometimes. People aren't who you thought they were.
As someone who's played Gran Turismo since the very 1st one as a small child this is affecting me more than most people probably, this statement hit me hard. Kaz legitimately made my childhood worth living with all the dysfunction that went on inside it.

The memories of 1 - 5 of growing up into a young man and furthering my love and knowledge for cars and racing. Playing 5 online and being astonished as it was the first ever time I'd ever played a GT game online. GT6 comes out in 2013 when I'm a young teenager and I fall in love with GT all over again and farm the seasonal events and progress through just like everyone on 5 would do.

Sport comes out and it was actually a few years before I could play because I didn't have a PS4. I was primarily a PC player at this point but being that GT has always been a huge part of my life I went out and bought a PS4 Pro exclusively for GT Sport. Sport was probably my biggest GT disappointment to that period from a GT game, however I understand it wasn't a full release and began to enjoy it for what it was eagerly anticipating GT7.

GT7 comes out and I've already had it preordered for months on end on my PS4. I boot it up and am shocked to find that after golding all Driving Missions, License Tests and completing the 39 cafe books that there was basically nothing left to do that gave you any prize cars. So I was sitting at around 100 prize cars and 100% completion, which has to be the lowest prize car rate of any GT game except Sport, I'm sure of it. Not even Circuit Experience gives you prize cars like it would in Sport. They could've easily done that and made the issue much less of an issue.

I knew that they would eventually add more content but couldn't help but still feel a bit dissatisfied. Then they pull the payout nerfs in 1.07 and rub extra salt in the wound by putting 2 unobtainable cars up in the dealer all while giving their clients absolutely nothing for an over 30 hour outage and then politely tell us to "stop whining" basically.

These past couple days have really almost made me cry because of how awful it is to be a Gran Turismo fan currently. I'm not ashamed to admit that the game is a huge part of my life. But I can't blind myself like some do. I have to be honest with myself and honestly what I've seen breaks my heart and makes me want to cry as someone who's been there since the very beginning.

I went to look at the 2002 NSX-R prices in Brand Central since I just recently finished the menu and that was one of my favorite cars from older GTs. $500k....I thought that was insane. Went to see other sports car, that is basically more than all the 911GT3s combined(I think), more than Ferraris in UCD...
Pure greed plain an simple. An NSX-R has never sold for anywhere close to half a million. Same with the R34 GTR.. Half a million.. But atleast you can win that one in the cafe.

I've played every GT from 1 onwards. And this situation - it's not good. I've been a member here for 18 years. I remember booking a week off work for GT4 and loving it and bought a DFGT my first ever wheel...

Kaz needs to climb down and make a step change. I hope there's some late night board meetings going on.

Last edited:
Back