Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 41,978 comments
So a site that doesn't agree with your viewpoint is wrong for reasons? Clever.
It's less to do with that and more that you can't take an unbiased sample from a gaming forum like Gamefaqs, it'd be like making a poll here asking if racing games are your favorite genre and then extrapolating the result to the entirety of gaming.

You can just look at the amount of players games have and yeah, multiplayer games are more popular by a landslide.

Bold of you to assume that's what they were gonna do in this update.
Not an unreasonable expectation when PD showed off the new branding in the update preview.

i1cdf6QGL2vUpG.jpg

Not an unreasonable expectation when PD showed off the new branding in the update preview.

i1cdf6QGL2vUpG.jpg
And yet, remember that this is yet another year where they have the exclusive license to Pikes peak (Which naturally had people expecting the actual route itself)...and the closest we got is the Escudo Pikes peak car. Never expect anything from PD unless it is specifically confirmed. It will always be a fool's errand.

GameFAQs? That ancient site populated by an equally ancient millennial demographic? :lol:

Look outside your bubble for a bit. Hottest single player game today is Baldur's Gate 3 and it doesn't come close to the public of the multiplayer juggernauts like Fortnite.

Even here in this thread there's less than 50 consistent posters (being generous). Small fraction of the playerbase.

Racing games are going the same way fighting games went more than a decade ago. Campaign is just something to introduce the game and casual pastime. The real game is the online mode. This is a factual trend, every racing game is chasing it.

The people who want more single player racing games are like the people who want more manual cars instead of automatics. They keep whining online but they're not who consumes the product and generates playtime.

IMG_3669.jpeg

…..ok, zoomer

And yet, remember that this is yet another year where they have the exclusive license to Pikes peak (Which naturally had people expecting the actual route itself)...and the closest we got is the Escudo Pikes peak car. Never expect anything from PD unless it is specifically confirmed. It will always be a fool's errand.
PD didn't exactly model Pikes Peak, use it for GTWS, and show it off in the update preview only to not actually update the game with it.

It's less to do with that and more that you can't take an unbiased sample from a gaming forum like Gamefaqs, it'd be like making a poll here asking if racing games are your favorite genre and then extrapolating the result to the entirety of gaming.

You can just look at the amount of players games have and yeah, multiplayer games are more popular by a landslide.
The only bias is confusing a race game site as if it is comparable to gamefaq which covers all kinds of gaming.

PD didn't exactly model Pikes Peak, use it for GTWS, and show it off in the update preview only to not actually update the game with it.
The point is, this is PD we're dealing with. Expecting ANYTHING without confirmation is never a good idea (Notice they themselves don't even mention it at all, something they did with the Fuji Speedway refresh when it released with the Dallara SF23).

So now with the Honda time trials lasting 30 days, and going by the last big time trial (GT Movie) accurately predicting when this update was, the next update could be in 30 days

Last edited:
I’ve always wondered if they introduced a version of Grand Valley Highway 1 with a “Joker Lap” type variant (effectively merging the full and short course) - where perhaps in a race, you have to take the shorter (or longer route) for minimum one lap (or have it where you can set the minimum laps) - for cruise lobbies it would be fun with “more roads” available and for races, adds a whole bunch of unpredictability.

Sadly I can’t see this ever happening but if wishes were fishes (or horses)…
yep a joker lap as you describe would be fun, maybe PD are steering clear of things "Gamey" & prefer to fly the simulator flag

THANK YOU.
I'm fed up with this "GT7 will be over when Forza will be available" trend.
Who would sell a PS5, buy an XBox for ANOTHER GAME AS A SERVICE?

Me too. I guess some people can play both games good for them. But talking trash on GT7 because of Forza which already is very slim on content is nonsense. GT7 won’t end both games are very similar and have both good and bad sides.

I don't mind it when PD put in SEMA cars because at least they have a story. It's point of difference that can be exploited in my opinion - if PD can't (or won't) get a hold of the modern cars we want, they should add a few from the community. The EG Civic built by Phil and Jesse Robles is a great example because it's a passion project, and that human aspect is what I think forms a connection with the vehicle. It's personal, and as an active member in Melbourne's car community, who has seen modified Civics (hell my first feature on Dev Mac Cars was of an EG Civic), being able to drive one built by a father and son is neat. What's even better is that you can kind of make it your own, which is definitely an added bonus. Much rather this than a standard EG.

Last edited:
My only guess as to why communication would be so limited would be due to language barriers, but there is a sort of power that can be held by omitting information. Even with absolutely transparency, there is no guarantee that we wouldn’t just spit-roast the development team the moment we found out they were heading in a subpar direction. Shareholders take notes of things like that.

When the game first released, it was review bombed to hell, and that seemed to create enough incentive to do something about it. Do enough to protect their sales and reputation. We can rest easy knowing that we will probably always have that card up our sleeves.

But joining their team to work from the inside? Personally, the reasons I couldn’t do it would be because:
  • No pipeline for college graduates or lower
  • Not fluent in Japanese; Not culturally familiar
  • Not an experienced C++ programmer; May be needed to be closest to a game designer
  • Do not have specialized game development knowledge
  • Professional connections would not lead me there
  • Unlikely to work directly with design leads

Also an interesting screenshot from their job posts:
View attachment 1290528

For what it's worth, Polyphony Digital has a Jobtalk.jp (Japanese equivalent of Glassdoor) profile, though the sample size is too small to decide anything and full comments requires registration.

Mind dump (sorta)
I try to see the influencers and pro players of this game as the mouthpieces of the community. To get our ideas on Polyphony’s doorstep, we would have to somehow convince these people to carry our ideas directly to the developers. We have to convince these people that our ideas are good for them, and that by adopting them, they will see success in their own careers.

One of the problems we are facing is a huge conflict of interest between the single-player playerbase and these people. Much of the livelihood of these influencers and top players comes from not just Gran Turismo being in the good graces of their fans, but also Sport Mode remaining popular. If the quality of the online racing suddenly falls off a cliff and their content isn’t diverse enough to take the hit, how will their channels survive? From what I have seen, almost every upload detail, from title to thumbnail to video length, is meant to take advantage of the recommendation algorithm. You can’t easily grow your channel from dead games, let alone dead video topics.

Online racing is an easily repeatable topic that, on paper, regenerates its novelty each time a new combo is released. For that reason, they need to sell that Sport Mode is good. They need to levy their criticisms towards it to make sure it remains good. Naturally, that means less resources can be put towards things the average player wants, otherwise PD runs the risk of getting bad press.

Top players are often bored with the single player offerings for being too easy, but they also have a huge incentive to participate in esports if they have the skill to do so. With programs like GT Academy having been done in the past, hanging at the top can give enough attention to their name to get noticed for real life motorsport seats. I doubt anyone that believe they are capable would be willing to pass that up. If they were to ever get paid for it, they could do something a lot more interesting than a typical 9-5.

PD pulling focus away from competitive play could take away those opportunities very quickly.

It is in their best interest that their esport, and by extension Sport Mode, doesn’t fall by the wayside in favor of less lucrative single-player gameplay.
Hopefully, I haven’t gone off the deep end just yet 😅

------

Anyway, these are just my initial thoughts on it all. As always they are subject to change.
Most of single player content on YouTube tend to be tuning-related, especially for the Big Four money races.

There are some that feel PD is more focused on the competitive side though, and it's not without the competitive players felt they don't get (enough) spotlight or attention to its issues (Daily Races combos being samey, penalty system, league system, lack of cash purses for live events*, etc.) I don't ever know if any GTWS superstar did ever speak out about the single player issues anyway.

*Since 2020, live GTWS participants now receive a fixed amount of money (originally for video equipment for COVID-affected seasons; they still continue today). The Porsche Esports USA Cup and Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Asia (for Southeast Asia, though that doesn't involve Sport Mode at all) also gives cash purses.

The old Tokyo Route 246 layout is not possible anymore, unless PD just ups the graphics of the old version.

View attachment 1291402View attachment 1291403View attachment 1291404View attachment 1291405View attachment 1291406

The road near the palace has been turned into a pedestrian walkway. New layout would add a new hairpin a bit further on.

But hope PD would recreate these roads and and weather and full 24 hour timecycle.
I remember Kaz saying city tracks take much more time to make than regular ones and it's not very efficient use of resources. So Tokyo Expressway will probably remain the only city track for now. Unless this is the exact reason why new track is taking so long.

I remember Kaz saying city tracks take much more time to make than regular ones and it's not very efficient use of resources. So Tokyo Expressway will probably remain the only city track for now. Unless this is the exact reason why new track is taking so long.
The greater effort required by urban circuits in building assets valid for the current high resolution could be compensated by the ease of building multiple circuits from the same components.
For example, by recreating the environment of the Rome circuit from GT2, you could also easily create the "Circuito di Roma" from GT5 and "Rome Night". Not to mention other new variants.

The greater effort required by urban circuits in building assets valid for the current high resolution could be compensated by the ease of building multiple circuits from the same components.
For example, by recreating the environment of the Rome circuit from GT2, you could also easily create the "Circuito di Roma" from GT5 and "Rome Night". Not to mention other new variants.
Rome night was not based on real roads in Rome.

Back