Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,101 comments
They’re paying photographers to take those photos so why can’t they hire three guys from this community to create 100 events each in a month? I don’t get it
It has me wondering about the amount of time it takes to create their race concept, make the associated builds and liveries, balance the opponents/strategies and then do some documentation somewhere. If all of it is done by the same team that has to design the menu books, it would make sense for it to take (too) long.

5 3 events in 50 days seems kind of silly compared to what players are capable of doing, though,

Last edited:
They’re paying photographers to take those photos so why can’t they hire three guys from this community to create 100 events each in a month? I don’t get it

Anyway, I’m looking forward to the new cars. Maybe it’s time to buy a PSVR to refresh the game a little.
The only reason is that they don't want to. Modding new events into GT5 and GT6 has revolutionised those games for me, it's a shame we don't have more good events in GT7.

Yep. If PD wanted to, they could add all the special Japan only events as World Circuit races for single player.

There’s the special esports JEGT Gr.3 Japan series. Add that calendar of events as a Championship for single players.

Even all the Toyota Gazoo Racing Cup events as offline races.

Last edited:
The only reason is that they don't want to. Modding new events into GT5 and GT6 has revolutionised those games for me, it's a shame we don't have more good events in GT7.
My theory is they really focus on Sport Mode, which gets 12 events every month, plus 4 time trials...? The movie basically gave away PD's whole motivation: they promote Sport now and the single player mode probably only exists because of some pressure from upper management (Sony) to add a more casual element to help GT better compete against arcade games. GT7 is not arcade, but it's what Sony has in store to fight Forza Horizon and The Crew, which explains the decision.

I also believe most people who play GT7 engage into Sport Mode rather than the single player grind. This is due to recent trends in gaming and is similar to what happened to fighting games. SF6 and MK1 have campaigns of their own, but the "real" game is the online mode. Similar to GT7 and the new FM.

So, for PD, it's probably a simple decision. As someone who'd much rather play offline, I'm not comfortable with their direction... but it is what it is. I still enjoy the game but I did laugh a little at this September update.

Last edited:
I also believe most people who play GT7 engage into Sport Mode rather than the single player grind. This is due to recent trends in gaming and is similar to what happened to fighting games. SF6 and MK1 have campaigns of their own, but the "real" game is the online mode. Similar to GT7 and the new FM.
That's verifiably not true, thanks to PSN's trophy stats. The trophy for completing an online race has only been obtained by 13% of players, while the one for finishing 50 is at 2.5%. By comparison, 26% of players completed the Cafe mode.

That's verifiably not true, thanks to PSN's trophy stats. The trophy for completing an online race has only been obtained by 13% of players, while the one for finishing 50 is at 2.5%. By comparison, 26% of players completed the Cafe mode.
But the Café is quick and easy to complete. Takes a week at most.

There's a difference between the casual playerbase and the dedicated single player mode playerbase. Those 26% consist of both, as well as some who also play online. The people complaining about GT7's lack of substantial single player updates aren't the casuals, but the people who stuck with this game for far longer than the vast majority of players.

The trophy for acquiring all three LM67 cars, which is predominantly a single player trophy, is even lower than the one for doing 50 races in Sport.

It has me wondering about the amount of time it takes to create their race concept, make the associated builds and liveries, balance the opponents/strategies and then do some documentation somewhere. If all of it is done by the same team that has to design the menu books, it would make sense for it to take (too) long.

5 events in 50 days seems kind of silly compared to what players are capable of doing, though,
I wonder why it takes so long (supposedly) to make A-License overtaking parades, when any player can make a similar or more exciting event in Custom Race mode in 15 minutes or less?

I'm glad the events are free, but they're not progressing anywhere towards finishing the campaign structure, just going aimlessly around in circles adding early-game variety to a game with no middle or end.

It has the pacing of 'The Real $14.99-per-month-plus-postage-and-handling-to-build-a-Christmas-themed-clock Simulator'... but it's $100+ upfront and sometimes you get washers 6 months in a row.

The trophy for acquiring all three LM67 cars, which is predominantly a single player trophy, is even lower than the one for doing 50 races in Sport.
This trophy is just for simply buying three specific cars and has no bearing or relevance to the single player campaign at all. Not to mention these are expensive Legend cars that you also have to wait for to show up, so it’s no surprise that it has such a low percentage.

This trophy is just for simply buying three specific cars and has no bearing or relevance to the single player campaign at all. Not to mention these are expensive Legend cars that you also have to wait for to show up, so it’s no surprise that it has such a low percentage.
It’s a single player trophy in the sense that it has no connection to online racing and caters to collector type players (which are predominantly the single player crowd). Race offline races and win by lapping everyone forty times, get millions of credits, buy expensive cars — single player.

Not to mention, that trophy isn't exactly specific about which cars are required to earn the trophy. If you aren't someone who's active in these forums then its entirely possible that you wouldn't be able/bothered to figure out which cars are required to earn that trophy.

Couple that with the cost of the cars and the Legendary dealer rotation and its pretty easy to figure out why most people don't have this trophy

At this point I just want answers.

Why is it that in the 25 years of this franchise existing, I haven't heard of a single person, from here or anywhere else, trying to get in contact with anyone at PD, or even getting a job at one of their studios? Why are they so insular and reluctant to communicate with the outside world?

Not a single person. There has to have been at least someone out there who decided to move to Japan and get a job at PD, taking in feedback from the wider community. But I haven't heard a single story like that. For the thousands of people who don't like the state of the game or its updates, not one has tried reaching out and sorting out those problems from within.

Why is it that in the 25 years of this franchise existing, I haven't heard of a single person, from here or anywhere else, trying to get in contact with anyone at PD, or even getting a job at one of their studios? Why are they so insular and reluctant to communicate with the outside world?

Not a single person. There has to have been at least someone out there who decided to move to Japan and get a job at PD, taking in feedback from the wider community. But I haven't heard a single story like that. For the thousands of people who don't like the state of the game or its updates, not one has tried reaching out and sorting out those problems from within.
Often wondered this myself. Honestly wish i could work at PD, or if i did... id certainly be reading forums like this for inspiration.
Wish i knew what the reason was behind the drip feed of events.

I keep thinking to myself regularly. Maybe we'll get a 2.0 update with major changes. Maybe Sophy ai will be integrated. Some substantial change that follows with a , "Thanks for your patience, enjoy"
Pretty much setting myself up for disappointment and ive had nothing but patience for PD while most share frustration.

The core mechanics for this game is great, just a shame its all underutilised.

Man I'm so jealous of forza having my favorite gt car that I'm almost thinking of buying another series x just for a chance to drive it in that game since I know its never coming to gt7.

But I have put so much time into gt7.👍
If you got PC you can play on that or get used series S if you really want to play it

but also Automobilista 2 has C8.R :P

also i wanna see their reaction when forza will have less GT3 cars than GT7 has lol

Last edited:

My only guess as to why communication would be so limited would be due to language barriers, but there is a sort of power that can be held by omitting information. Even with absolutely transparency, there is no guarantee that we wouldn’t just spit-roast the development team the moment we found out they were heading in a subpar direction. Shareholders take notes of things like that.

When the game first released, it was review bombed to hell, and that seemed to create enough incentive to do something about it. Do enough to protect their sales and reputation. We can rest easy knowing that we will probably always have that card up our sleeves.

But joining their team to work from the inside? Personally, the reasons I couldn’t do it would be because:
  • No pipeline for college graduates or lower
  • Not fluent in Japanese; Not culturally familiar
  • Not an experienced C++ programmer; May be needed to be closest to a game designer
  • Do not have specialized game development knowledge
  • Professional connections would not lead me there
  • Unlikely to work directly with design leads

Also an interesting screenshot from their job posts:
Screenshot from 2023-09-28 00-55-24.png

-----

Mind dump (sorta)
I try to see the influencers and pro players of this game as the mouthpieces of the community. To get our ideas on Polyphony’s doorstep, we would have to somehow convince these people to carry our ideas directly to the developers. We have to convince these people that our ideas are good for them, and that by adopting them, they will see success in their own careers.

One of the problems we are facing is a huge conflict of interest between the single-player playerbase and these people. Much of the livelihood of these influencers and top players comes from not just Gran Turismo being in the good graces of their fans, but also Sport Mode remaining popular. If the quality of the online racing suddenly falls off a cliff and their content isn’t diverse enough to take the hit, how will their channels survive? From what I have seen, almost every upload detail, from title to thumbnail to video length, is meant to take advantage of the recommendation algorithm. You can’t easily grow your channel from dead games, let alone dead video topics.

Online racing is an easily repeatable topic that, on paper, regenerates its novelty each time a new combo is released. For that reason, they need to sell that Sport Mode is good. They need to levy their criticisms towards it to make sure it remains good. Naturally, that means less resources can be put towards things the average player wants, otherwise PD runs the risk of getting bad press.

Top players are often bored with the single player offerings for being too easy, but they also have a huge incentive to participate in esports if they have the skill to do so. With programs like GT Academy having been done in the past, hanging at the top can give enough attention to their name to get noticed for real life motorsport seats. I doubt anyone that believe they are capable would be willing to pass that up. If they were to ever get paid for it, they could do something a lot more interesting than a typical 9-5.

PD pulling focus away from competitive play could take away those opportunities very quickly.

It is in their best interest that their esport, and by extension Sport Mode, doesn’t fall by the wayside in favor of less lucrative single-player gameplay.
Hopefully, I haven’t gone off the deep end just yet 😅

------

Anyway, these are just my initial thoughts on it all. As always they are subject to change.

Main points from patch notes:

2. World Circuits
 - The following new events have been implemented to World Circuits:
  ・Grand Valley - Highway 1
   - Race of Turbo Sportscars
  ・Dragon Trail
  ・Mount Panorama
   - World Touring Car 700

5. GT Auto
 - Car Maintenance & Service
  Engine Swaps have been added for the following cars (Unlocked at Collector Level 50):
  ・ Porsche 356 A/1500 GS Carrera '56
  ・ Porsche 911 Carrera RS (901) '73
  ・ Porsche 911 Carrera RS (964) '92
  ・ Porsche 911 GT3 (997) '09
  ・ Porsche Cayman GT4 '16

1. Race Screen
 - We added the "Weather Radar" button to the Quick Menu.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/sg/gt7/news/00_3917973.html

Main points from patch notes:

2. World Circuits
 - The following new events have been implemented to World Circuits:
  ・Grand Valley - Highway 1
  ・Dragon Trail
  ・Mount Panorama
   - World Touring Car 700

5. GT Auto
 - Car Maintenance & Service
  Engine Swaps have been added for the following cars (Unlocked at Collector Level 50):
  ・ Porsche 356 A/1500 GS Carrera '56
  ・ Porsche 911 Carrera RS (901) '73
  ・ Porsche 911 Carrera RS (964) '92
  ・ Porsche 911 GT3 (997) '09
  ・ Porsche Cayman GT4 '16

1. Race Screen
 - We added the "Weather Radar" button to the Quick Menu.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/sg/gt7/news/00_3917973.html
engine swap for the 356...................game on !

Back