Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,101 comments
Fixed that for you
G6jFlOMUi8lA.gif

To say something positive amidst all this (justified) negativity:

I'm really looking forward to the Garage RCR Civic.

Stuck at work for a bit. Can't wait to read what you guys have to say.

I enjoy the memes, but GT does not exist on any platform Forza is on and vice versa.

We should look at AC2 when it comes to competition on PD's home turf, but PD have absolutely no reason to react to Forza at all.

Last edited:
I enjoy the memes, but GT does not exist on any platform Forza is on and vice versa.

We should look at AC2 when it comes to competition in PD's home turf, but they have absolutely no reason to react to Forza at all.
THANK YOU.
I'm fed up with this "GT7 will be over when Forza will be available" trend.
Who would sell a PS5, buy an XBox for ANOTHER GAME AS A SERVICE?

We should look at AC2 when it comes to competition in PD's home turf, but they have absolutely no reason to react to Forza at all.
I got really big hopes for AC2 , hopefully they won't ruin it like Project Cars which was a big shame :(

So we’re now 6 months without new track content (7 if you don’t personally count alternative Nürburgring chicanes), which will be 7 and 8 months respectively if the drought is ended with a late October update.

For the heck of it I decided to look up the longest times between new track content during active support cycles of the online GT games. The #1 spot goes to the gap between GT5’s launch and the Spa DLC pack, which was just under 11 months. However, this was also before there was any precedent or expectations set for DLC/expansions/bonus content as part of post-launch support, so it may not be the best metric for comparison. We would need to get to January or February with no track to match that kind of gap. Regardless, here’s my breakdown:

During live periods:

• GT5 - Launch -> Spa/Kart Space DLC (November 2010 - October 2011) - 11 months
  • GT6 - v1.16 (Midfield) -> v1.21 (Course Maker) (February 2015 - September 2015) - 7 months
  • GT Sport - v1.40 (Sardegna Road) -> v1.47 (Spa) (June 2019 - October 2019) - 4 months
  • GT7 - v1.29/1.31 (Grand Valley/Nürburgring layouts) -> Present/next track update (February/March 2023 - October+ 2023) - 7-8+ months (depending on Nurb opinions)

It’s really interesting to compare these, especially since the last 3 games had arguably better single player gameplay expansions, with regular weekly or bi-weekly seasonal events on the PS3 titles, and generally higher volume of League additions every month in GT Sport. Also noteworthy that on the multiplayer side, GT5 lobbies had voice chat, host migration, and shuffle mode, making those features far effective for community engagement and replay value, and this all continued to GT6 minus shuffle mode. Sport lost voice chat, but added community content sharing and Sport mode. 7 didn’t really add or improve any QOL aspects, and only lost host migration. It seems like there’s only been a decline in organic custom user+community engagement features.

Here’s some other math I did just cuz I was looking at all the dates, not sure what can be gleaned from it but it’s 3am and I already calculated it:

Between final track release and next game launch:

• GT5 Motegi DLC -> GT6 Launch (June 2012 - December 2013) - 18 months
  • GT6 v1.21 (Course Maker) -> GT Sport Launch (September 2015 - October 2017 [March 2017 counting Beta]) - 25 months (18 months counting Beta)
  • GT Sport v1.53 (Laguna Seca) -> GT7 Launch (December 2019 - March 2022) - 27 months

Statistically speaking it seems like we’re just about in the 2nd longest content drought since the online era of Gran Turismo started, but also nowhere near a new game. I know fidelity of assets makes development time increase every generation, but there are surely other forms of engaging content that are easy and quick to implement no matter the generation, like offline/single player races or online time trials, missions, and other campaign items. Those have always and should still always still be simple spreadsheets of entry requirements, opponents, and track condition data, dozens of which should seemingly be able to be planned and outlined in a day. The race and event card art, race balancing, and opponent liveries/builds/tunes fleshed out in a week. It’s just so weird how this should technically be one of the richest and most diverse GT games yet based on the assets and features, and yet it feels like the flimsiest and most sparse gameplay experiences due to the sheer lack of actual content PD had put and continues to (not) put into the structure of it all, both in single and multiplayer.

Last edited:
My theory is they really focus on Sport Mode, which gets 12 events every month, plus 4 time trials...? The movie basically gave away PD's whole motivation: they promote Sport now and the single player mode probably only exists because of some pressure from upper management (Sony) to add a more casual element to help GT better compete against arcade games. GT7 is not arcade, but it's what Sony has in store to fight Forza Horizon and The Crew, which explains the decision.

I also believe most people who play GT7 engage into Sport Mode rather than the single player grind. This is due to recent trends in gaming and is similar to what happened to fighting games. SF6 and MK1 have campaigns of their own, but the "real" game is the online mode. Similar to GT7 and the new FM.

So, for PD, it's probably a simple decision. As someone who'd much rather play offline, I'm not comfortable with their direction... but it is what it is. I still enjoy the game but I did laugh a little at this September update.
If I had to guess, I'd say that the majority of people actively playing the game now are probably as focused, if not more so, on the online side of the game and that most of the people who were predominantly interested in the single player side will have moved on. That's pure guestimation right there, but I think it has merit.

However, statistically, the vast majority of players did not spend much time, if any, playing online.

I think it's important to support players who play games online, but that shouldn't be at the expense of single player gamers. The two can coexist, you just need the right framework around it.

Last edited:
Id be happy for a mix up of the existing tracks -

e.g. - you run a lap of say Grand Valley & when you exit the tunnel you're onto another track for one lap randomly picked by AI & so on or maybe open up some of those blocked side roads on loads of tracks to do the same thing,

Now that's not asking too much is it ?

Id be happy for a mix up of the existing tracks -

e.g. - you run a lap of say Grand Valley & when you exit the tunnel you're onto another track for one lap randomly picked by AI & so on or maybe open up some of those blocked side roads on loads of tracks to do the same thing,

Now that's not asking too much is it ?
I’ve always wondered if they introduced a version of Grand Valley Highway 1 with a “Joker Lap” type variant (effectively merging the full and short course) - where perhaps in a race, you have to take the shorter (or longer route) for minimum one lap (or have it where you can set the minimum laps) - for cruise lobbies it would be fun with “more roads” available and for races, adds a whole bunch of unpredictability.

Sadly I can’t see this ever happening but if wishes were fishes (or horses)…

My only guess as to why communication would be so limited would be due to language barriers, but there is a sort of power that can be held by omitting information. Even with absolutely transparency, there is no guarantee that we wouldn’t just spit-roast the development team the moment we found out they were heading in a subpar direction. Shareholders take notes of things like that.

When the game first released, it was review bombed to hell, and that seemed to create enough incentive to do something about it. Do enough to protect their sales and reputation. We can rest easy knowing that we will probably always have that card up our sleeves.

But joining their team to work from the inside? Personally, the reasons I couldn’t do it would be because:
  • No pipeline for college graduates or lower
  • Not fluent in Japanese; Not culturally familiar
  • Not an experienced C++ programmer; May be needed to be closest to a game designer
  • Do not have specialized game development knowledge
  • Professional connections would not lead me there
  • Unlikely to work directly with design leads

Also an interesting screenshot from their job posts:
View attachment 1290528

-----

Mind dump (sorta)
I try to see the influencers and pro players of this game as the mouthpieces of the community. To get our ideas on Polyphony’s doorstep, we would have to somehow convince these people to carry our ideas directly to the developers. We have to convince these people that our ideas are good for them, and that by adopting them, they will see success in their own careers.

One of the problems we are facing is a huge conflict of interest between the single-player playerbase and these people. Much of the livelihood of these influencers and top players comes from not just Gran Turismo being in the good graces of their fans, but also Sport Mode remaining popular. If the quality of the online racing suddenly falls off a cliff and their content isn’t diverse enough to take the hit, how will their channels survive? From what I have seen, almost every upload detail, from title to thumbnail to video length, is meant to take advantage of the recommendation algorithm. You can’t easily grow your channel from dead games, let alone dead video topics.

Online racing is an easily repeatable topic that, on paper, regenerates its novelty each time a new combo is released. For that reason, they need to sell that Sport Mode is good. They need to levy their criticisms towards it to make sure it remains good. Naturally, that means less resources can be put towards things the average player wants, otherwise PD runs the risk of getting bad press.

Top players are often bored with the single player offerings for being too easy, but they also have a huge incentive to participate in esports if they have the skill to do so. With programs like GT Academy having been done in the past, hanging at the top can give enough attention to their name to get noticed for real life motorsport seats. I doubt anyone that believe they are capable would be willing to pass that up. If they were to ever get paid for it, they could do something a lot more interesting than a typical 9-5.

PD pulling focus away from competitive play could take away those opportunities very quickly.

It is in their best interest that their esport, and by extension Sport Mode, doesn’t fall by the wayside in favor of less lucrative single-player gameplay.
Hopefully, I haven’t gone off the deep end just yet 😅
Also if anyone has worked in the software world youd know that there are project managers and program/department directors. Most developers dont have influence the way forum discussions have on us individually. They probably already approved a budget and timeline for features way before they implement. Doubt someone from PD will walk into the office after an update and be like “ gtplanet sure was upset about that, we better do something”. I agree they’d have to pull something as bad as they did at launch for them to actually perform corrective actions

My theory is they really focus on Sport Mode, which gets 12 events every month, plus 4 time trials...? The movie basically gave away PD's whole motivation: they promote Sport now and the single player mode probably only exists because of some pressure from upper management (Sony) to add a more casual element to help GT better compete against arcade games. GT7 is not arcade, but it's what Sony has in store to fight Forza Horizon and The Crew, which explains the decision.

I also believe most people who play GT7 engage into Sport Mode rather than the single player grind. This is due to recent trends in gaming and is similar to what happened to fighting games. SF6 and MK1 have campaigns of their own, but the "real" game is the online mode. Similar to GT7 and the new FM.

So, for PD, it's probably a simple decision. As someone who'd much rather play offline, I'm not comfortable with their direction... but it is what it is. I still enjoy the game but I did laugh a little at this September update.
Your theory couldn't be more wrong.

Gamefaq run this Poll of the Day most years. The result is always the same.

In case PD wasn't already incompetent enough, they didnt even update the Suzuka branding, let me guess, is it a special privilege the World Series events get or something?

In case PD wasn't already incompetent enough, they didnt even update the Suzuka branding, let me guess, is it a special privilege the World Series events get or something?
Maybe they want to include the Sebastian Vettel updates with the beehives & kerb paint at T2. Those were extremely recent real life additions

Last edited:
Bold of you to assume that's what they were gonna do in this update.

There was a Suzuka round a fortnight ago and there isn’t another scheduled for this season - so no, you can’t blame Sport mode for this one.

Well we only guessed they would update the Suzuka but they didn't and that doesn't have anything to do with being incompetent ...

Last edited:
Has anyone felt like the frame rate has become more stable?
Daytona doesnt feel as bad, probably one of the worst offenders. Nurburgring WTC800 only had 1 skip the entire 3 laps i did.

I usually test a few tracks each update and Tokyo arcade mode, 20 cars in rain was almost flawless compared to before. Curious if anyone else has the same experience.

Last edited:
There is some new bug with daily races in EU - stuck on black sceen like game froze but game works its like server waiting :/

Last edited:
Has anyone felt like the frame rate has become more stable?
Daytona doesnt feel as bad, probably one of the worst offenders. Nurburgring WTC800 only had 1 skip the entire 3 laps i did.

I usually test a few tracks each update and Tokyo arcade mode, 20 cars in rain was almost flawless compared to before. Curious if anyone else has the same experience.
For me WTC800 on Nurb is the same as it was before. Haven't checked Daytona or Kyoto yet. Kyoto has this strange problem when being way ahead of AI cars, like lap 4, only my car is visible and then it stutters :/
PS5 and non-VRR TV

Well for Blue Moon Bay, given a few clues like its name, its proximity to an airport, and its dot on the World Circuits map, it's most likely around here.
View attachment 1281086
This is Half Moon Bay airport, just north of the town of Half Moon Bay itself, and south of San Francisco.
View attachment 1281085
The airport is between Moss Beach & El Granada.
Hey we now have a definitive answer to where the fictional tracks are geographically!
IMG_2017.jpeg

I was slightly off but not by much for Blue Moon Bay. Interestingly the track map isn't oriented around north (that was why Grand Valley was rotated 90 degrees). Not sure if it's the only case of that, maybe Broad Bean Raceway & Northern Isle don't either. But the start/finish straight lines up with the direction of the airport I highlighted in my other post, which makes sense given the overhead planes you see.

Edit: It seems like there's quite a few circuits that aren't oriented around North. Here's Lago Maggiore as another example.
IMG_2018.jpeg

Last edited:
Your theory couldn't be more wrong.

Gamefaq run this Poll of the Day most years. The result is always the same.

GameFAQs? That ancient site populated by an equally ancient millennial demographic? :lol:

Look outside your bubble for a bit. Hottest single player game today is Baldur's Gate 3 and it doesn't come close to the public of the multiplayer juggernauts like Fortnite.

Even here in this thread there's less than 50 consistent posters (being generous). Small fraction of the playerbase.

Racing games are going the same way fighting games went more than a decade ago. Campaign is just something to introduce the game and casual pastime. The real game is the online mode. This is a factual trend, every racing game is chasing it.

The people who want more single player racing games are like the people who want more manual cars instead of automatics. They keep whining online but they're not who consumes the product and generates playtime.

Last edited:
GameFAQs? That ancient site populated by an equally ancient millennial demographic? :lol:

Look outside your bubble for a bit. Hottest single player game today is Baldur's Gate 3 and it doesn't come close to the public of the multiplayer juggernauts like Fortnite.
So a site that doesn't agree with your viewpoint is wrong for reasons? Clever.

Back