Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,125 comments
Both VGT's are slated for January/2024. I would be very very surprised to see a December update.
1703694488950.jpeg

I am not the biggest car guy so take this with a grain of salt, might be off here.

It is correct that Mercedes bought AMG ('99 is correct I believe). However AMG is still very much a standalone brand and they emphasize this very strongly. Indeed an AMG Mercedes actually has a hand assembled AMG engine rather than a tuned Mercedes one. And some models like the GT series and the AMG One are completely developed by AMG only. All (?) other models are of course based on regular Mercedes ones.

Therefore GT might actually be correct in labeling all the AMGs under AMG rather than Mercedes.
I just saw an AMG crossover here in the city the other day. It had both logos on it. Had it not been for GT7 splitting the two up I'd have thought AMG was a performance division.

I literally can’t tell if a few of these early car shots are modeled in GT7 or not. Has Fraga’s livery been added to the game and I missed it?

I don' understand why all this promotion of Igor Fraga, he Is the yet another example of a racing driver that comes from a Brazilian Rich family, he Is there only because he have the Money for finance his career
He’s fast in GT and in real life, he is fluent in Brazilian, English and Japanese and a charismatic and nice guy.

Great ambassador for the brand.

No need to be salty about it.

Money doesn’t make you fast in GT.

Last edited:
I don' understand why all this promotion of Igor Fraga, he Is the yet another example of a racing driver that comes from a Brazilian Rich family, he Is there only because he have the Money for finance his career
This is so sad… why so much hate? So what his family has money? Is he not putting in the work, just as others said he is fast on both platforms and seems humble. As a person who plays GT and loves sim racing it’s always cool to see these guys go and do the real thing! I hope the best for him and his career and that he can help GT be even better!

The last time I spoke to him before went to Japan, he had plans to buy his first car...

It's hard to imagine a 'Rich' guy struggling to buy a Mitsubishi...

Last edited:
You mind providing the evidence of where his family was "Rich"? Seems like you just hate this guy having all the attention while ignoring the part where he is literally THE first Nations Cup Champion, the first Toyota Gazoo Racing series Champ AND a winner of the Manufacturers Series (though its also odd you single him out as "Another racing driver that comes from a Brazilian Rich Family" specifically). Lot of unnecessary and very broad sweeping contempt in this post.

Last edited:
I had dinner with Igor and his father in New Zealand after he won the Toyota Racing Series in 2020. We talked for four hours and I recorded our conversation for this article:

It explains how Igor's family had to take out loans and sell possessions to keep funding his racing career, and how him and his father were homeless in the United States, sleeping in cars and parking lots after he joined the "Road to Indy" driver development program.

A Japanese mining company set up operations near the Brazilian town of Coronel Fabriciano. This brought an influx of Japanese people to the area, including Igor’s mother. She met a Brazilian man, Fabrizio, and the two became married.

The pair eventually moved to Japan, and Igor’s father worked various odd jobs to support his young family. He found success in the growing robotics industry, and his career began to take off. His young son, Igor, had an interest and talent for driving, and Fabrizio was able to fund his son’s karting career.

“I had a very good karting career until 2008,” Igor explained. “I won seven karting championships in Japan, and in 2008 I won the Asian Karting Championship. I got to experience an international karting career and I was really good.

“But, in 2008, there was the financial crisis. My dad lost his job, and I lost all my sponsors as well. I was very low… I could not keep racing,” said Igor.

His family was forced to leave their home in Japan and move back to Brazil. “I spent a long time without motorsport and could only play Gran Turismo.” It would be a long time before his family could get back on their feet.

Six years later, in 2014, Igor was finally able to get on track in Brazil’s affordable Formula 1600 series. “I was able to get some sponsorship from my home town because the series was not so expensive. My family was able to put together a little bit of money so I could start racing again.”

It was around this time Igor also realized Gran Turismo might have the potential to be more than just a hobby.

“I saw GT Academy going global and coming to the USA, and I knew I had to do it!” Igor gave it his best effort using an American PlayStation account, and actually set a time that would have been fast enough to qualify — had he been eligible. “I got the last spot, I think it was 23rd or something! But I wasn’t old enough, and I wasn’t American,” Igor said, laughing.

“I was really struggling to be one of the top guys. I think in the world rankings, I finished in the top 200s or 300s, just barely enough to get into it. I knew I had to improve if I really wanted to make it happen. That’s when I started to spend a lot more time to become one of the top drivers.”

Outside of Gran Turismo, the Fraga family realized they had to make more sacrifices. “In 2015, we moved to Brazilian F3, and at that time my family had to start selling things to support me. They took out loans and everything. In 2016, we didn’t have the money to do a full season, and I could only do two races. In 2017, we found some sponsors who could support me, and I won the championship, but after that — in Brazil — there was nothing else.

“We decided to go to the USA to try the ‘Road to Indy’,” Igor said. The “Road to Indy” is IndyCar’s sanctioned driver development program, an attractive option for young up-and-coming drivers from around the world. “The people there — if they see talent — they try to help you as much as possible and we thought that, maybe, there was a good chance.”

Igor’s father quit his job in Brazil, and the pair traveled to America so Igor could race in the 2018 F2000 National Championship. He finished fourth in the standings, but after betting everything on this last chance in racing, they were essentially homeless in the United States.

“We didn’t have a place to live,” Igor said. “We were sleeping in cars in Walmart parking lots. Sometimes we could stay in my chief mechanic’s house, or with my mentor, Roberto Moreno. It was really tough. I always worried about money, and if we would have enough money to eat. We ate fast food almost every day because it was the only thing we could afford.”

When Igor and his family were in such dire need, the FIA Gran Turismo Championship in GT Sport was announced. Igor knew he had to give it everything he had. “We bought a Thrustmaster T-150 steering wheel for my mechanic’s garage and I started the process to qualify.”

He’s fast in GT and in real life, he is fluent in Brazilian, English and Japanese and a charismatic and nice guy.

Great ambassador for the brand.

No need to be salty about it.

It's easy to see the success stories and get jealous immediately. We don't often hear about these types of people just dropping dead. They usually go on to be even more successful, hence the possibility of getting even more jealous! neuroticism never ends

Last edited:
Forced to respond to this because of what I will be highlighting after.

I do not believe he is from a rich family. The road for Igor has clearly been rocky, but is he a Rock Lee?
I'll show myself out.
It explains how Igor's family had to take out loans and sell possessions to keep funding his racing career, and how him and his father were homeless in the United States, sleeping in cars and parking lots after he joined the "Road to Indy" driver development program.
The pair eventually moved to Japan, and Igor’s father worked various odd jobs to support his young family. He found success in the growing robotics industry, and his career began to take off. His young son, Igor, had an interest and talent for driving, and Fabrizio was able to fund his son’s karting career.
Six years later, in 2014, Igor was finally able to get on track in Brazil’s *affordable Formula 1600 series. “I was able to get some sponsorship from my home town because the series was not so expensive. My family was able to put together a little bit of money so I could start racing again.”
Just need to have talent and a good attitude.
Outside of Gran Turismo, the Fraga family realized they had to make more sacrifices. “In 2015, we moved to Brazilian F3, and at that time my family had to start selling things to support me. They took out loans and everything. In 2016, we didn’t have the money to do a full season, and I could only do two races. In 2017, we found some sponsors who could support me, and I won the championship, but after that — in Brazil — there was nothing else.

The only reason I am bothering to point it out is because putting in hours of practice to get better absolutely requires time and that often also means sacrificing opportunities for money. If you believe that Gran Turismo is a simulator or part of simracing, then it should not be hard to accept that these experiences outside of it do help with developing the techniques needed to perform at the highest level.

In Fraga's case, it did cost money to do that, even if it came from the support of many different people...supporters that would be completely absent to the average person.

If you can't pay for it, someone else will have to sooner or later.
It's easy to see the success stories and get jealous immediately. We don't often hear about these types of people just dropping dead. They usually go on to be even more successful, hence the possibility of getting even more jealous! neuroticism never ends
A lot of it is being in the right place at the right time, having the right connections and support by people who have the power to help. Strong vision, grit and/or expertise goes a long way. There's nothing wrong with success stories as long as you don't claim to be completely self-made - not that Fraga has ever done so.
--
Maybe I can someday help push people not as deeply rooted into motorsports to get into those positions with funding, knowledge, etc - whatever I can consistently provide. Finding people who can perform that well with that level without having been that deeply rooted into motorsport will probably be tough, though.

Far future goal.

Forced to respond to this because of what I will be highlighting after.

I do not believe he is from a rich family. The road for Igor has clearly been rocky, but is he a Rock Lee?
I'll show myself out.

The only reason I am bothering to point it out is because putting in hours of practice to get better absolutely requires time and that often also means sacrificing opportunities for money. If you believe that Gran Turismo is a simulator or part of simracing, then it should not be hard to accept that these experiences outside of it do help with developing the techniques needed to perform at the highest level.

In Fraga's case, it did cost money to do that, even if it came from the support of many different people...supporters that would be completely absent to the average person.

If you can't pay for it, someone else will have to sooner or later.

A lot of it is being in the right place at the right time, having the right connections and support by people who have the power to help. Strong vision, grit and/or expertise goes a long way. There's nothing wrong with success stories as long as you don't claim to be completely self-made - not that Fraga has ever done so.
--
Maybe I can someday help push people not as deeply rooted into motorsports to get into those positions with funding, knowledge, etc - whatever I can consistently provide. Finding people who can perform that well with that level without having been that deeply rooted into motorsport will probably be tough, though.

Far future goal.
Nice mental gymnastics to rationalize your jealousy and put Igor down.

Last edited:
I had dinner with Igor and his father in New Zealand after he won the Toyota Racing Series in 2020. We talked for four hours and I recorded our conversation for this article:

Your article confirms what i think, if your family doesn' t have any property to sell or the Money for finance your karting seasons your racing career can' t even start.
I don' t think that all the families of the members of this forum can finance karting seasons
What i want to tell Is that Motorsport is a sport not for everyone, you have to had the Money for start

Wow it's like you didn't even try to do your research.
I have done my research, if your family doesn' t have the Money your racing career cannot even start

Back