Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,286 comments
ah yes a Spiker from 15 years ago and a Lotus single make racing, good finds but still nothing like a widebody roofless Golf 7 ... at least the Beetle Gr3 was a realist effort.

The LM prototypes have a roll bar/hoop to protect the driver. All that's needed for their light weight. Those roadsters have full cages.

That VW VGT has a chop top bar that doesn't even extend above the driver's head. Purely aesthetic design choices to go along with the edgyness of the rest of the car and those gigantic wheels. A lack of a roof alone isn't why that car is out of place.

Good thing it’s a video game that doesn’t need to adhere to real life constraints so we can experience “what if” and push innovative designs from manufacturers
Fun fact: there's no reason that a convertible can't be homologated for GT3. The body requirements start and finish at a two-door.

In fact until a surprisingly recent rule change, the VW might not have been eligible only because the car on which the car on which it was based was based had a five-door model...

ah yes a Spiker from 15 years ago and a Lotus single make racing,
This was in a 24 hour race against Prototypes (of sorts), GTs, Touring cars, a minivan and a Smart for Four..

1705946966585.jpeg

Same race as this if my folder numbering is correct, coincidentally...

1705946640902.jpeg

And again, in a different year...

1705946525308.jpeg

The point is that outside of current GT3 racing, open top cars are not uncommon from grass roots to top level, from the early days of racing right up until now - Gr3 is not GT3, and you can race other convertibles in the game where the drivers head is sticking out of the top including recreations of past real racing cars where the driver formed part of the roll cage.

Also..

I made a quick chart, might help some folks.

1705948640192.png

Good thing it’s a video game that doesn’t need to adhere to real life constraints so we can experience “what if” and push innovative designs from manufacturers
I think most GT players prefer “what if” scenarios that actually reflect the world they know. That’s why people started playing GT in the first place.

I think most GT players prefer “what if” scenarios that actually reflect the world they know. That’s why people started playing GT in the first place.
So the what if scenarios that reflect the world they know is what?

Good thing atleast 89% of the cars are real and cover a wide basis of road cars to race cars across decades to fit the world they know.

Last edited:
Wow ; some really takes the things literally about the roofless racers ; of course we know racing cars without roof are a thing; the point was more in today GT Racing ( meaning GT3 and GTE ) things like a golf VGT Speedster looks a bit out of place IMO.

But maybe I’m wrong thinking that way.

the point was more in today GT Racing ( meaning GT3 and GTE ) things like a golf VGT Speedster looks a bit out of place IMO.

But maybe I’m wrong thinking that way.

You'd be correct, and when the VW GTi VGT Roadster turns up in ACC, go for it, until then, just accept that the Gr.1, 2, 3, 4 & B categories in GT7 are much broader than FIA or SRO categories, even without the presence of any concept cars.

The most ironic thing... is that people are giving out because of unusual/quirky GT-grade motor cars appearing in this game but most of the people here are fuelled by thé nostalgia from the old games which is based on a boat-load of crazy concept/fantasy vehicles, many of which are highly in demand to make a reappearance today.

New players to the series don't have a chance.

The most ironic thing... is that people are giving out because of unusual/quirky GT-grade motor cars appearing in this game but most of the people here are fuelled by thé nostalgia from the old games which is based on a boat-load of crazy concept/fantasy vehicles, many of which are highly in demand to make a reappearance today.

Since PD started working with categories in Sport Mode, in GT Sport, many people have dreamed about the additions of IMSA GTPs.

Maybe it could happen in the future, as there are rumors that PD has good relations with the IMSA group.

Last edited:

As a new player to the series (only started with GT7 in summer 2023 and never played it before) I can happily confirm that I find these absurd discussions hilarious and amusing. And after some reading, I go back to the game and drive all sorts of races with all sorts of cars - real or made up, as long as they’re fun to drive. 🤩

This is essentially a call to judge each car on its merits and... I agree.

Too many people regard all VGTs as if they're the Chaparral or Tomahawk, when really only the Chaparral and Tomahawk are the Chaparral/Tomahawk cars. And yeah, I hate those cars too.

Often the same people who crap on something like the Jaguar VGT (okay, VGTs, which is an issue) would crawl naked over molten glass for a Rimac Nevera, Lotus Evija, or Pininfarina Battista and the only practical difference there is that the fake car you're not driving is a real car in the real world; they're AWD, four-figure horsepower EVs, which these people will will drive once, crash, and say handles like crap because they arrive at a corner three times faster than normal in two tonnes of battery pack.

Some VGTs are just concept cars called VGT. The FT-1 as previously noted is one; the BMW, Subaru, Mitsubishi, and two of the three Peugeots also being particularly heinous examples of "oh crap, we need something for this game thing". Others seem pretty phoned in, like the other Peugeot (a 1:8 scale model only), the Infiniti (also a 1:8 scale model only; hey, who only just remembered it existed because I mentioned it just then?), and the Copen. Some are fully functional cars (more so than the much-loved GT90), some are rolling models (like most motor show concepts), and some are just static models (like most other motor show concepts).

Really, a VGT is indistinguishable from any other concept car - it might work, it might work a bit, it might not work, and sometimes they can't even be bothered to make a full-size one. And some literally are any other concept car with a VGT branding (in the literature, but not on the car).

If someone's glueing their underwear to themselves over the Ford GT90 but dismissing the Aston Martin DP-100, I do have to wonder exactly what it is they actually want.
There's a difference between cars that you can actually buy and concept cars. People want cars that are/were in production and I think that's where most of the contention comes from. We get frustrated because there are still soo many cars from the real world that this game needs and seeing PD put in VGT's makes you wonder where their priorities are.

There's a difference between cars that you can actually buy and concept cars.
Yes, I'm aware.

However the point is people clamouring for certain concept cars (particularly the Ford GT90, which is in our top 30 Suggestions with almost 300 votes) while dumping on Vision GT cars for being Vision GT cars. I'm not sure what the difference between a VGT and a non-VGT concept car is - particularly given how blurry the line is on a lot of them.

I'm not a VGT hater, but perhaps the biggest reason people hate these cars is that many of these cars don't exist in the real world and these cars have non-realistic and ridiculous performances.

Perhaps to people who hate these cars, this car might look like the "devil cars" from Ridge Racer series.
And many people view GT as one of the top of consumer simulators, or simcades.
Maybe there's a distaste for cars like this appearing in such serious (*so they think) games.

I'm not a VGT hater, but perhaps the biggest reason people hate these cars is that many of these cars don't exist in the real world
For the most part they exist in the real world no more or less as much as any other concept car does (some of which, as previously pointed out, are existing concept cars that have just been hastily branded as a VGT), so I'm not seeing why this is an argument against VGTs while other non-VGT concept cars get a free pass - or 300 likes in the GTPlanet Suggestions/Cars forum.
and these cars have non-realistic and ridiculous performances.
And again in most cases, this just isn't true. Most VGTs are well within the performance envelope of modern cars, and quite lowball compared to the various 2000hp EVs that are coming out now.

As for those that aren't... well:

Too many people regard all VGTs as if they're the Chaparral or Tomahawk, when really only the Chaparral and Tomahawk are the Chaparral/Tomahawk cars.

For the most part they exist in the real world no more or less as much as any other concept car does (some of which, as previously pointed out, are existing concept cars that have just been hastily branded as a VGT), so I'm not seeing why this is an argument against VGTs while other non-VGT concept cars get a free pass - or 300 likes in the GTPlanet Suggestions/Cars forum.

And again in most cases, this just isn't true. Most VGTs are well within the performance envelope of modern cars, and quite lowball compared to the various 2000hp EVs that are coming out now.

As for those that aren't... well:
Sorry to jump into the discussion, but one reason vgts are hated may be that, apart from some spaceship-like vgts, they don't have an interior. That's at least one of my reasons for disliking the concept of vgt cars.

The line itself isn’t blurry, it’s people’s eyeballs.

My only gripe is the one million per. Forget about ease of earning one. The cars should be the price of Gr. 3/B road version. 300,000Cr. is fair.

It's definitely not a good look for the cars that don't have interiors. That's only a problem for me in VR. Other than that, people seem to be upset about the tagging Vision Gran Turismo on every car.
Had the cars just been named: GT by Ferrari, GT by Lambo Lambo Lambo Lambo, GT by BMW, there might be less angst.

Back