Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 40,752 comments
Yeah I think if they want to keep that air of exclusivity around certain cars, invitations should come with collector level milestones (and be permanent) instead of on that pigging roulette
Either that or making them available at certain times like in Test Drive Unlimited. In TDU1, there's classic cars that are only available during a certain time period, but you can put yourself on a reserve list. So, when the car is available for purchase; you would be notified.

------------

Dripfeeding content is just PD's haphazard idea of retaining player retention. A thing that studios keep trying to do for some reason, I wish it would stop.

Last edited:
Either that or making them available at certain times like in Test Drive Unlimited. In TDU1, there's classic cars that are only available during a certain time period, but you can put yourself on a reserve list. So, when the car is available for purchase; you would be notified.
My impression is that PD thinks the invites were a bad idea. Otherwise, if they really believed in that mechanic, some post-launch cars would be locked behind them, like the Bugatti Chiron and Porsche 918.
Dripfeeding content is just PD's haphazard idea of retaining player retention. A thing that studios keep trying to do for some reason, I wish it would stop.
I don't personally mind it, even if I think there are a number of things I'd really like to see expanded upon. For example, I'd totally be down for some additional mission sets, not just because we're supposedly getting 24h races in them, but also because the last drag-based mission implies there are more like it to come. At the same time, though, I admit I like the actual content for each update being relatively enigmatic until it drops.

EDIT: Not to mention that judging from Kaz's comments, it seems that the drip-feed method is genuinely working, as he remarked on how notable the player base was after the Spec II update. My take is that we won't really see any hints of GT8 until GT7's player base starts to die down a notable amount. But what exact metrics and/or thresholds need to be met on PD's end before they kick GT8's development into higher gear will likely stay a mystery. Not that I'm in a huge rush for GT8, personally.

Last edited:
Two years on, I've yet to receive a invitation to Aston Martin, really want to purchase the Vulcan but can't. Shouldn't have to be at the mercy of some random system, if cars can't be directly purchase they should be obtainable as a prize car, the more expensive the car the more difficult the event.

I don't personally mind it, even if I think there are a number of things I'd really like to see expanded upon. For example, I'd totally be down for some additional mission sets, not just because we're supposedly getting 24h races in them, but also because the last drag-based mission implies there are more like it to come.
I mind it to a point of being angry at it as it demonstrates Polyphony Digital could add more content per month than they are doing, I hate things that are purposely held back. Though some recent comments I heard tell me that they have no choice in the matter due to something or someone else.

Two years on, I've yet to receive a invitation to Aston Martin
Everyone received all of the invitations for a month, from April 13 2022.

Edit: What a weird response to information...
↘️

Last edited:
Everyone received all of the invitations for a month, from April 13 2022.

True, but not everyone took advantage of it. Otherwise I wouldn't be seeing "I'M STILL MISSING THIS INVITE" posts on the forum.

True, but not everyone took advantage of it. Otherwise I wouldn't be seeing "I'M STILL MISSING THIS INVITE" posts on the forum.
Indeed, but that's not the point. Neither is the fact that the manner in which the Invitation system operates is ridiculous.

You simply cannot have been playing for two years and still be waiting for an invite, because we all got them, for a month, less than two years ago.

Indeed, but that's not the point. Neither is the fact that the manner in which the Invitation system operates is ridiculous.

You simply cannot have been playing for two years and still be waiting for an invite, because we all got them, for a month, less than two years ago.
Sadly it happens during a period where I ceased playing, after feeling totally burnt out by the horrendous grind I felt compelled to do in order to buy the cars I want (not all the cars, just a few). Even if I could have been there, not sure I would have been able to grind enough to get all the invite cars still.

Maybe I missed it in the beginning, but shouldn't the invite had shown up at some other time in the course of a couple of years and maybe a few time.

Even if I could have been there, not sure I would have been able to grind enough to get all the invite cars still.
Which is very much what I did. I think I picked up some of them, but this was back when the grind was turbo-tedious and there wasn't any money from Circuit Experience, Time Trials, or GTWS.

Maybe I missed it in the beginning, but shouldn't the invite had shown up at some other time in the course of a couple of years and maybe a few time.

Yep, it should for sure. The invite system is fundamentally flawed. WHen you first get the game and you are playing through the 39 menus you get lots of invites. I think I had four active at one time. But the cars are expensive, you probably don't have access to the "grinders" yet and trying to accumulate the credits to take advantage of the invites is pretty much impossible. Plus, you don't have any real notion about how rare the invites are going to be in the future. You think like any rational person - "surely I'll have more opportunities to get these in the future" and you let most of them expire. Then, after the menus are done the invites pretty much dry up and become extremely rare.

I think a nice solution would have been to offer roulette tickets as rewards for silver medals in CE's and licenses (which for some bizarre reason currently go un-rewarded). Those tickets would be only credits or invites (no fing parts and engines! lol)

Last edited:
Maybe, a good news for GT7.

Jim Ryan's management plan to allocate almost all PS Studios developers to GAAS games was changed. Ryan will leave this semester and the developers will focus on what they do best. It will take time to make up for lost time.

I hope that, with this, PDI will be guided by PS Studios to dedicate itself to GT7. After all, surprisingly, the GT7 is remaining stable at the top of sales. Logic tells us that the tendency is to invest more and more in the game. I hope the GT7 becomes Sony's MK8.
The most interesting story from Sony's very mixed financials is the interim PlayStation boss, Hiroki Totoki's, damning comments on the management and financial savviness (or lack of it!) from their 1st Party studios. To sum up, while he respects them as creatives, they spend money like it's going out of fashion, and don't understand the part they play in the companies wider financial health:

On the earnings call, Sony management said the aim for its gaming business is to "optimize sales with a greater emphasis on the balance with profits."

Speaking on a recent earnings call, he seems happy with PlayStation's first-party teams, but has some concerns about the business side of things.

In meeting with management teams and visiting the studios themselves, Totoki says "everyone is working really hard to fulfill their responsibility to try to optimise the business", but feels there's a lack of understanding about "overall growth and sustainable profitability or increasing margin". He says that's SIE's main problem.

"I try to understand what is happening in the company, in the industry, and also in the perspective of the analysts, and try to explain in a transparent manner so that people can recognise and notice these issues so that we can have a harmonised approach going forward," Totoki says. He further comments that the studios and the people within them are "very highly motivated" with "great creative minds", but that there's "room for improvement" when it comes to the business itself. "And that's got to do about how to use the money or about the schedule of development or how to fulfill one's accountability towards development, et cetera."

While PD are, by all accounts, one of the smaller major studios, and deliver titles that are A/ system sellers and B/ have long sales legs, there are a couple of areas we could see change:

1/ A new PS5/PS5 Pro SKU of GT7 to take full advantage of the hardware and maximise revenue. Possibly an upgrade option for existing owners.

2/ Paid DLC, be they car packs, tracks, or something like the Hamilton Time Trial, to have a post sale revenue stream.

3/ A PC release for GT7 seems inevitable at this point and the most obvious way to increase the player-base and maximise revenue.

4/ GTWS events are lavish affairs and no doubt costly. I can see pressure being applied to increase viewership numbers and demonstrate these events improve the bottom line, ie increase Gran Turismo sales. If they don't make financial sense I can see them becoming online only with separate press events when needed.

Last edited:
The most interesting story from Sony's very mixed financials is the interim PlayStation boss, Hiroki Totoki's, damning comments on the management and financial savviness (or lack of it!) from their 1st Party studios. To sum up, while he respects them as creatives, they spend money like it's going out of fashion, and don't understand the part they play in the companies wider financial health:

On the earnings call, Sony management said the aim for its gaming business is to "optimize sales with a greater emphasis on the balance with profits."

Speaking on a recent earnings call, he seems happy with PlayStation's first-party teams, but has some concerns about the business side of things.

In meeting with management teams and visiting the studios themselves, Totoki says "everyone is working really hard to fulfill their responsibility to try to optimise the business", but feels there's a lack of understanding about "overall growth and sustainable profitability or increasing margin". He says that's SIE's main problem.

"I try to understand what is happening in the company, in the industry, and also in the perspective of the analysts, and try to explain in a transparent manner so that people can recognise and notice these issues so that we can have a harmonised approach going forward," Totoki says. He further comments that the studios and the people within them are "very highly motivated" with "great creative minds", but that there's "room for improvement" when it comes to the business itself. "And that's got to do about how to use the money or about the schedule of development or how to fulfill one's accountability towards development, et cetera."

While PD are, by all accounts, one of the smaller major studios, and deliver titles that are A/ system sellers and B/ have long sales legs, there are a couple of areas we could see change:

1/ A new PS5/PS5 Pro SKU of GT7 to take full advantage of the hardware and maximise revenue. Possibly an upgrade option for existing owners.

2/ Paid DLC, be they car packs, tracks, or something like the Hamilton Time Trial, to have a post sale revenue stream.

3/ A PC release for GT7 seems inevitable at this point and the most obvious way to increase the player-base and maximise revenue.

4/ GTWS events are lavish affairs and no doubt costly. I can see pressure being applied to increase viewership numbers and demonstrate these events improve the bottom line, ie increase Gran Turismo sales. If they don't make financial sense I can see them becoming online only with separate press events when needed.

The arrival of GT7 on PC will depend on the import of PS PLUS as a PC platform. The PC audience is not used to making a payment to buy a game and then making another payment to play online. This is where the problem lies for the GT7.

Solving this problem, I believe that the eventual arrival of GT7 on PC will only bring benefits in terms of the game's content. To compete with the market giants, Sony-PDI will have to strengthen the studio to produce more content (cars and tracks).

Will PDI adopt a DLC program, in the style of the “Season Pass” of fighting games and Assetto Corsa? It could be. But how will the Plus situation be resolved?

If Sony decides not to charge to play online, the console audience will feel harmed and many will migrate to the PC. Sony will lose subscribers on Plus.

If Sony charges for a subscription to play online, in addition to having purchased the game, GT7 will have no commercial appeal on PC.

Importing GT7 to PC is the serious problem for SONY.

Last edited:
I can't imagine that GT7 on pc would require any kind of subscription fee. Don't forget that only a small minority of GT gamers play online. You couldn't sell them such a fee. Wouldn't work at all. Maybe let's see how GT8 looks in that matter and if the dissonance is lesser.

For the GTWS cost pressure: yes, i would imagine that there is no way that this is any kind of self-sustainable and only produces (unnecessary) cost. I also think that they don't see it like that no matter what i think.

Unfortunately GT lends itself extremely well to the GAAS concept. We certainly haven’t seen the end of it. GTS and GT7 already have very moderate (and basically not monetized) service game elements. But I fear this might just be the first baby steps.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the next GT was a full on service game.

(Bonus: I also think the next GT comes out on PC the same day, skips PS4 (obviously) and might drop the number altogether)

I like this idea :D
I think if pd would create a dlc pack with vgt cars and another one with historic cars (gt1 pack? :D) the sale numbers would give pd & sony a hint what content gt players want and are ready to pay for.

Unfortunately GT lends itself extremely well to the GAAS concept. We certainly haven’t seen the end of it. GTS and GT7 already have very moderate (and basically not monetized) service game elements. But I fear this might just be the first baby steps.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the next GT was a full on service game.

(Bonus: I also think the next GT comes out on PC the same day, skips PS4 (obviously) and might drop the number altogether)
Agreed. I think the GT7 we ended up getting, especially after the updates, was a compromise between a full GAAS, microtransaction hell, 202x game, and an old-fashioned single-player game where you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, based on the comments from Sony above, I doubt there's going to be any concessions to the latter next time. I'm expecting limited-time FOMO "invites" for overpriced cars with suspiciously low PPs, and ample races to use them in online and off, before too long.

Last edited:
Which is very much what I did. I think I picked up some of them, but this was back when the grind was turbo-tedious and there wasn't any money from Circuit Experience, Time Trials, or GTWS.
The big 4 were around then, pretty sure CE was too. I bought them all & never bothered with the grind pre big 4. I'd already got the platinum well before it, so had blown a fair chunk of the early credits on the required legend cars.

If Sony decides not to charge to play online, the console audience will feel harmed and many will migrate to the PC. Sony will lose subscribers on Plus.
Really not an issue. Look at Helldivers 2, published by Sony on PC. Console players pay for Plus to go online. PC players don't. Very healthy numbers of players on both systems (too many in fact at the moment).

Console players are indoctrinated now to pay (we just accept so much crap).

While post-launch monetisation is of course one way they'll try and bridge the gap, I took Totoki's comments to be more focused on trying to bring pre-launch development costs down and reducing game scope accordingly.

Which will affect PD for sure, it'll have an effect on all their studios. But it might affect them a bit less than others since they don't have to re-make 99% their assets from scratch every game like a Last of Us or a Horizon has to do. In hindsight, if they do have less money to work with, futureproofing the car models so they don't have be re-scanned next gen might have been a genius move.

Shouldn't they be doing what they do best, which is to keep the live service model, but actually start producing and providing more content?

Wading into the Live Service debate, I'd say GT7 is probably the pivot point where PD are going to change the formula permanently going forward. It's going to hurt, but just like pulling off a band-aid we will see the benefit going forward....

They have been so out of touch with the player base in recent years that hopefully the data-driven aspects of the current game will benefit future editions, with the years of playing stats giving them a true insight into the ways we like to play.

A question for you guys:

Scrolling through Twitter, I noticed that the conflict between FM8 and GT7 fans is in full swing. This is somehow important for us consumers and to take both developers out of their eventual comfort zone.

Given this, do you think that when Assetto Corsa 2 is released this year, including for the PS5, it will have any influence on PDI in terms of track and car content?

A question for you guys:

Scrolling through Twitter, I noticed that the conflict between FM8 and GT7 fans is in full swing. This is somehow important for us consumers and to take both developers out of their eventual comfort zone.

Given this, do you think that when Assetto Corsa 2 is released this year, including for the PS5, it will have any influence on PDI in terms of track and car content?
AC2 will probably start as PC title with console port later, and I think it will be quite different than Forza or GT. I hope it will have good content on it’s own and won’t be only for modding title. I think that AC was pretty barebones without modding support…

When it comes to the trophies, I feel like it's a bit easy to critique them when there have been tons of content - and even physics changes - after GT7's launch nearly two years ago. So I don't know if it would've been a great idea to GT7 to have had any trophies where you need to set a certain lap time under certain conditions, as I think even the license test times have been changed post-launch. Similarly, there's just no way there could've been a trophy for getting all golds for every Circuit Experience, as the experience would become more and more subjective as more courses get added. I think this was what happened for GT Sport's trophies, so I wonder if PD learned from that scenario?

That said, I still wonder what PD intended with the GT7 trophy list. I know that trophies in general can showcase achievements, but I recall also reading that they can also track player activity, in a way. Like how far they are in the game, or how much they're using a given feature. Even then, I personally think some of the trophies are quite silly, with the most egregious ones being the three speed trophies. Sure, it makes sense to have a trophy for reaching 200mph, but I can't say 311mph nor 373mph are reasonable without using the Dodge SRT Tomahawk X VGT. I, for one, would've axed them both, and in their place, have a trophy for breaking a more realistic speed record, such as for the McLaren F1 (~240mph) or Bugatti Veyron (~267mph).

While I also do highly commend PD for minimizing the online trophies after the impossible-to-Platinum GT Sport, I can't say I'm big on the two recycled trophies that feature Scapes. Why not feature a different pair of car/locale combinations? I thought of two just off the bat: a Ford Gr.3 car at Daytona, and a Toyota TS050 at Fuji Speedway. There.

I really find these Live service fears for GT really unfounded considering how increasingly unsuccessful a business model it is (Something Sega is about to in classic fashion, find out long after most did) and given the fact that THE guy that came in trying to push this at Sony is leaving soon (And I doubt its because it was due to the travel). I don't see GT becoming a full Live Service model and I see nowhere in Totoki's comments where its even implied (They come off to me as "We need to stop spending like crazy" if anything, which doesn't scream pushing GAAS).
A question for you guys:

Same answer to this questions as always: It doesn't matter. PD will never be affected by it. They never cared and they never will, they do their own thing and it makes no difference what Turn 10 does, what Kunos does or what Studio 397 does.

Back