Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 41,294 comments
hoping they add the ability to sell unwanted gift parts an engines 🙏🏽
Oh that yeah. That's always been weird because when checking out the parts and engines in storage, they're listed as having a "recommended retail price" (which is the same price it costs to buy), implying you can set your own price with that as a reference, and sell it somewhere.

That'd perhaps work a bit like the storefronts or auction house from the Forza series where you can sell things to other players, as an alternative to selling back to the game itself.

Last edited:
I was just re-watching the update trailer, but on the Manufacturers Cup live stream, as it's where you can hear the crowd cheering and reacting to it, just so I could listen carefully in which parts people reacted the loudest. There were four major parts:

-When they saw there was a new track and recognized Eiger.
-After the GT Sophy part was presented.
-When the Impreza Rally Car was shown.
-When the trailer ended.

Considering that Kaz was there, I wonder if these reactions somehow set the tone of what people are expecting right in front of him. 🤣

If they train it on their own data, the ethical debate should be more kind, no? I totally support the artists who are upset with AI being trained on their works when they didn’t consent, but if they train it on studio assets, since they are owned by PD, that side shouldn’t be an issue.

Although I just realised that the individual artists at PD may not want their work used for AI in any way. Which I understand. Maybe hold a studio vote and if it’s unanimously in favour, go ahead with the plan.

It being private data moving towards a singular design goal for the game when it’s otherwise not feasible could maybe change someone’s view as long as it’s not then used in other, exploitative ways. But ultimately that decision of consent rests on the individual and it should be respected.
Thing is, you cannot train on solely your own data. Generative AI only exists through being fed as much data as they can manage, and it still ends up looking quite terrible. To train on "your own data" means to feed it some of your stuff and tell it to make something like that, but it still has to use everything else it's eaten up to poop out something usable.

That, along with the insane energy cost of generative AI, makes it impossible to do ethically. Anyone who claims to have used AI trained only on their own data is either lying or misunderstanding how it works. You need that massive database for it to work, and no one company owns enough to manage that. Disney could feed an in-house AI model all of their movie scripts (including ones they've bought over time) and it would be unable to produce a somewhat workable script for a new movie. Even after editing out the glaring issues it would still be very obvious that it was just taking bits and pieces of their past work. Models like ChatGPT had to scrape as much of the internet as they possibly could to get it to become the best predictive text tool in the world. Still, it's a predictive text tool; it barely maintains coherence if you ask it to do more than answer a simple question to which it had the answer scraped from some website already.

Thing is, you cannot train on solely your own data. Generative AI only exists through being fed as much data as they can manage, and it still ends up looking quite terrible. To train on "your own data" means to feed it some of your stuff and tell it to make something like that, but it still has to use everything else it's eaten up to poop out something usable.

That, along with the insane energy cost of generative AI, makes it impossible to do ethically. Anyone who claims to have used AI trained only on their own data is either lying or misunderstanding how it works. You need that massive database for it to work, and no one company owns enough to manage that. Disney could feed an in-house AI model all of their movie scripts (including ones they've bought over time) and it would be unable to produce a somewhat workable script for a new movie. Even after editing out the glaring issues it would still be very obvious that it was just taking bits and pieces of their past work. Models like ChatGPT had to scrape as much of the internet as they possibly could to get it to become the best predictive text tool in the world. Still, it's a predictive text tool; it barely maintains coherence if you ask it to do more than answer a simple question to which it had the answer scraped from some website already.
Hmm, I never thought about that, that it would require a huge amount of data. And didn't think about the energy cost. Didn't really know it took so much energy but that makes total sense, with all the training they need to do, right? Maybe procedural is the way to go then, using their Tokyo Expressway assets as a base for it? Long as they have a good variety of buildings, maybe touch up any which need replacing for accuracy, might be a good middle ground. At this point I would rather "Tokyo R246-like et al." environments if it means we get city tracks. They're great variety, imo, and unless it's something like Monaco or a famous vista, something which gets the "likeness", but maybe isn't 100% accurate in environment, will be fine. Especially when the alternative is no city tracks at all (or very very rarely).

Appreciate the input!

🤔
CCGT on the track_0.jpg

That is a road trip and track day effects company. Gran Turismo as a term existed long before the game series, so not everything is an indication of might come to the game.

I would love a Koenigsegg though!
I just realized it's an old car. Probably around Gran Turismo 5 era.

How has it not occurred to anyone at PD that having events at Circuit de la Sarthe that use Group 1 cars would be a great idea?

Or how about a set of events in exclusively Group C cars on the old layout, or Group 3 for that GT3LM vibe, with their most modern LMP machines being the flagship event there.

I'm talking about some properly distanced races, which gives you the time to settle into a stint, not forced to banzai your way to the front against hideously rubber banded AI.

Events which take advantage of the day/night and weather (I appreciate that the 700pp does the weather bit.)

It can't just be a licensing thing of, only LeMans Ultimate can have top flight prototypes racing there...you have the cars, you have the track...how has this not been an immediate lightbulb moment for the team there.

I know they said ten 'championships' that can be run in about an hour is enough for a GT game...but what if we had a championship that ran across a bunch of different circuits, in some of the fastest cars in the game...

I'm sure Kaz and the team would have me committed for coming out with something so radical...

I believe Eiger was in one of the old datamines, yes.

Along with Tokyo R246, but that might have been scrapped 'cause of Kaz saying city tracks taking too long to make.
Cool, thanks for confirming.

I'll be a bit sad if it turns out we had the roadmap all along, as it's not a very fun outcome, but getting 8 out of 9 new-to-GT7 tracks correct (giving credit for Lake Louise as the snow test) seems a track record worth paying attention to at this point.

If they just scanned the track recently I don't know why anyone would expect it in the game for at least 6 months, probably longer.
Was it recently? I think those rumors where in March and it was like PD already done that. I think november update is realistic.

I would hope the next circuit will be more like traditional tarmac racing circuit. The last three added, including eigar nordwand, all feel like rally stages.

Loaded the game yesterday to possibly the most generous set of tickets I've ever had - I got both winners correct and my 6 Star Car, and 6 Star ticket netted me a Super Formula '19 and 2016 Super GT Nismo GTR respectively.

Now to keep as much of the 2 million for the update as possible...

Heard from the people watching the show that it wasn't anything special, by the way. Not to mention I wasn't a fan of itasha to begin with, so I am probably not the target audience for these stuff.

Looks like the All Japan GT Car Championship special event type is coming back.

View attachment 1371658
View attachment 1371659

Something I noticed while going through what cars get dirt tyres in this game: There isn't a single BMW that takes them, not even the 1989 M3s that are bases for a rally car. Even Ferrari, known sticklers about car representation, allow a couple of their old cars to do so.

Anyone know if that's true of the older games too (meaning it's likely a BMW licensing thing)?

Back