Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 41,562 comments
Something I noticed while going through what cars get dirt tyres in this game: There isn't a single BMW that takes them, not even the 1989 M3s that are bases for a rally car. Even Ferrari, known sticklers about car representation, allow a couple of their old cars to do so.

Anyone know if that's true of the older games too (meaning it's likely a BMW licensing thing)?
Dunno, but I remember in the early games BMW seemed pretty stingy. Gran Turismo 2 didn't allow you to even change their wheels. GT3 only had one BMW in it at all, and it was one of the few brands that didn't gain any new models in GT Concept.

Last edited:
While I don't have any empirical evidence to support this, I suspect, the first 2 or 3 GT games were managing to get some of the manufacturers to give permission to use their cars/names for free, or, even paying PD/Sony for the advertisement. The success of Gran Turismo changed that landscape considerably and now (perhaps as early as GT3 and almost certainly by GT4), it's the other way around for all the real world stuff that makes its way into the game.

I mean having a Racing Fuel Tank upgrade for road cars would be nice. Fuel economy is perhaps the biggest weakness with tuning up road cars into race cars, versus actual race cars. That's probably a contributing reason why the All Japan GT Car Championship events have no fuel depletion at all.
That would be fantastic. Would be great if they can expand interior customisation and give us some lightened racing steering wheels if not interior trim removal (I understand that would be very time consuming though and probably not feasible for GT7). Even if it’s maybe 50-150 cars with the steering wheels for GT7, would be really cool to give a more racing car feel.

Last edited:
I mean having a Racing Fuel Tank upgrade for road cars would be nice. Fuel economy is perhaps the biggest weakness with tuning up road cars into race cars, versus actual race cars. That's probably a contributing reason why the All Japan GT Car Championship events have no fuel depletion at all.
They really should just implement the old "Racing Modification" option (I realize this is more likely for the NEXT game), giving the cars bigger wings/splitters/diffusers, and a bigger fuel tank, in the process. Allowing you to take a road car and effectively turn it into a full race car, capable of competing in the 800+pp range. If this also stripped out the interior (visually), it would be icing on the cake. Especially for those of us lucky enough to have PSVR2. Currently, most road cars have a 700pp limit, competitively (I realize some can do much better than that, but we're talking averages here), due to the lower downforce. Anyway, just a thought. As you were.

They really should just implement the old "Racing Modification" option (I realize this is more likely for the NEXT game), giving the cars bigger wings/splitters/diffusers, and a bigger fuel tank, in the process. Allowing you to take a road car and effectively turn it into a full race car, capable of competing in the 800+pp range. If this also stripped out the interior (visually), it would be icing on the cake. Especially for those of us lucky enough to have PSVR2. Currently, most road cars have a 700pp limit, competitively (I realize some can do much better than that, but we're talking averages here), due to the lower downforce. Anyway, just a thought. As you were.
I'd argue that, fuel tank and interior aside, the visual upgrades from GT Auto are a more in-depth/personalised way of doing the exact same thing that Racing Modifications used to do. Especially considering we have the luxury of a livery editor too these days.

Maybe they could have some kind of homologation template where it applies all modifications in a set for you, as an alternative to selecting each part individually.
If a fuel tank upgrade is included to make it viable, those homologation templates could even be officially registered as Gr.4.
If that happened I bet the Gr.4 category would have a massive boost in popularity, due to the insane increase in car variety in a grass roots racing kind of way.

I'd argue that, fuel tank and interior aside, the visual upgrades from GT Auto are a more in-depth/personalised way of doing the exact same thing that Racing Modifications used to do. Especially considering we have the luxury of a livery editor too these days.

Maybe they could have some kind of homologation template where it applies all modifications in a set for you, as an alternative to selecting each part individually.
If a fuel tank upgrade is included to make it viable, those homologation templates could even be officially registered as Gr.4.
If that happened I bet the Gr.4 category would have a massive boost in popularity, due to the insane increase in car variety in a grass roots racing kind of way.
This is what I'm saying. They need to add the "Racing Modification" (i.e Homologated Template, as you put it) to increase the ceiling (as it were) for weight, downforce, and hopefully also fuel capacity (although, that's more of a hope, than any kind of realistic expectation). As the current modifications include adding wings/splitters/diffusers, thus allowing for a limited amount of downforce adjustment, the "Racing Modification" option would need to be a step up from what the aforementioned allows, as far as a tuning ceiling (think Gr.3 or better). Otherwise, it would serve little purpose. The fuel tank and interior would be lovely, but I'd at least be happy with the weight/downforce improvement, over standard tuning options, currently available.

That being said, bringing back the "Racing Modification" would entail creating a new body template and/or "kit" for all 498 cars (soon to be over 500). Which is a daunting task, and thus I don't expect any of this until the next game. I just don't. As lovely as it would be, it's really just pie in the sky thinking, at this juncture.

Last edited:
They could just remove Gr.4 / Gr.3 / Gr.B and "Road Car" fake cars from brand central and put them in a new Racing Modification option. And while we're at it, put back the VGTs in their own menu, like in GT6.
I’ve had a similar idea before, there could be like a homologation workshop in GT World separate from Brand Central where eligible cars like all the fake Gr. 4/Gr. 3/Gr. B cars can be converted from road car form into race or homologated road car form.

They could just remove Gr.4 / Gr.3 / Gr.B and "Road Car" fake cars from brand central and put them in a new Racing Modification option. And while we're at it, put back the VGTs in their own menu, like in GT6.
I think it would be better to make the events more restrictive than to add a specific racing modification feature. On the developer's end, they would also need to figure out how they would handle the tuning part /upgrade paths for these cars as well.

For example, if you buy upgrades for a road car that produces more power than the Gr.- equivalents can, how would you address the difference? Would upgrading to Gr.- instantly downgrade your engine upgrades to keep the class balanced? That just doesn't seem right at all.

More importantly, would there be a functional difference between upgrading to Gr.- vs buying a new Gr.- car?

In my view, it would be better to just set maximum and minimum values for...
  • Performance Points
  • Horsepower
  • Weight
  • Front Downforce
  • Rear Downforce
  • Displacement
...that aligns closest to the class being represented in the race while adding a new Gr.- widebody option. Maybe just the aero kit is what is meant by Racing Modification?

The fuel tank or economy upgrade is must and should exist as a separate tuning part, though.

Last edited:
I was watching a video by Outlaw Garage last night and this car was in it:
IMG_3278.png

Who knew that the exact car in GT7 sits in Lindsay Fox’s collection? I have to find out more!

This is what I'm saying. They need to add the "Racing Modification" (i.e Homologated Template, as you put it) to increase the ceiling (as it were) for weight, downforce, and hopefully also fuel capacity (although, that's more of a hope, than any kind of realistic expectation). As the current modifications include adding wings/splitters/diffusers, thus allowing for a limited amount of downforce adjustment, the "Racing Modification" option would need to be a step up from what the aforementioned allows, as far as a tuning ceiling (think Gr.3 or better). Otherwise, it would serve little purpose. The fuel tank and interior would be lovely, but I'd at least be happy with the weight/downforce improvement, over standard tuning options, currently available.

That being said, bringing back the "Racing Modification" would entail creating a new body template and/or "kit" for all 498 cars (soon to be over 500). Which is a daunting task, and thus I don't expect any of this until the next game. I just don't. As lovely as it would be, it's really just pie in the sky thinking, at this juncture.
It'd mainly be a thing for Gr.4 level & older cars, since modern race cars Gr.3 & up tend to be bespoke from the factory and not truly built from road-going counterparts. GT4 as far as I'm aware is a lot closer to road car conversion, but some might still be factory-bespoke.

Also it wouldn't be an option for concept cars / VGT's, or existing race cars.
All of that taken into account would make the list of 500-ish a decent chunk smaller. Then it's a matter of changing stats and BoP (the latter would be very tricky).
I've compiled a list of what I think would be relevant homologation templates below:

Homologation templates turning road cars into existing race cars in the game:
Gr.2
If we ever get the road homologation versions of GT1 cars (AMG-Mercedes CLK-LM etc), they go here.

Gr.3
1: Alfa Romeo 4C Gr.3 Road Car
2: Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gr.3 Road Car
3: Ford Mustang Gr.3 Road Car
4: Mazda Atenza Gr.3 Road Car
5: McLaren F1 '94
6: Peugeot RCZ Gr.3 Road Car

Gr.4
1: Alfa Romeo 4C '14
2: AMG-Mercedes SLS '10
3: Aston Martin V8 Vantage '15
4: BMW M4 '14
5: Bugatti Veyron '13
6: Chevrolet Corvette C7 '14
7: Citroën GT by Citroën '08
8: Dodge Viper GTS '13
9: Ferrari 458 Italia '09
10: Ford Mustang GT '15
11: Genesis G70 '22
12: Honda NSX '17
13: Hyundai Genesis '13
14: Jaguar F-type '14
15: Lamborghini Huracán '15
16: Lexus RC F '14
17: Mazda Atenza '15
18: Mazda Mazda3 '19
19: McLaren 650S '14
20: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo Final '15
21: Nissan GT-R '17
22: Nissan Silvia S15 '02
23: Peugeot RCZ '15
24: Porsche Cayman '16
25: Renault Mégane '11
26: Subaru WRX STI '14
27: Suzuki Swift '17
28: Toyota GR Supra '19
29: Toyota 86 '15
30: Volkswagen Scirocco '10

Gr.B
1: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo Final Gr.B Road Car
2: Subaru Impreza 22B '98
3: Subaru WRX Gr.B Road Car
4: Toyota Celica '94

Other
1: Honda Civic EK '97 -> Touring Car
2: Mazda Roadster '89 -> Touring Car
3: Mazda Roadster S '15 -> NR-A

Homologation templates turning road cars into brand new race cars:
(* indicates the racing version would also be sold in an appropriate dealership. The rest are template exclusives)

Gr.2 (Default Aero: 500-600 Front & 700-900 Rear)
1: Porsche 911 GT1 Strassenversion '97 *

Gr.3 (Default Aero: 350-450 Front & 500-700 Rear)
1: Dodge Viper '02 *
2: Ferrari F40 '92 *
3: Jaguar XJ220 '92 *
4: Lamborghini Diablo GT '00 *
5: Porsche 911 993 '95 *
6: Porsche 911 CS 993 '95 *
7: Porsche 911 996 '01 *

Gr.4 (Default Aero: 150-200 Front & 200-350 Rear)
1: Abarth 500 '09
2: Alfa Romeo MiTo '09
3: Alpine A110 '17 *
4: AMG-Mercedes A 45 '13
5: AMG-Mercedes GT R '17 *
6: Audi TT '03
7: Audi TTS '09
8: Audi TTS '14
9: Audi R8 '16 *
10: BMW 3.0 CSL '71
11: BMW 3.0 CSL '73 *
12: BMW M3 '89
13: BMW M3 Sport Evo '89 *
14: BMW M3 '97
15: BMW M3 '03
16: BMW M2 '18
17: Chevrolet Corvette C4 '89 *
18: Chevrolet Camaro '16 *
19: De Tomaso Pantera '71 *
20: Ferrari Dino 246 '71 *
21: Ferrari 308 GTB '75 *
22: Ferrari 512 BB '76 *
23: Ford Sierra Cosworth '87 *
24: Ford Focus ST '15
25: Ford Focus RS '18
26: Honda Civic EG '93
27: Honda Integra DC2 '95
28: Honda Civic EK '97
29: Honda Civic EK '98
30: Honda Integra DC2 '98
31: Honda Fit '14
32: Honda Civic FK2 '15
33: Honda Civic FK8 '20
34: Honda Civic FL5 '22 *
35: Lancia Stratos '73 *
36: Maserati GranTurismo '08 *
37: Mazda RX-7 FC '90 *
38: Mazda RX-7 FD '02
39: Mazda RX-8 '12
40: Mazda Demio '15
41: Mercedes-Benz 190 E '91 *
42: Mitsubishi GTO '91
43: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo III '95
44: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV '96
45: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo V '98
46: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI '99
47: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX '06
48: Nissan Fairlady '69 *
49: Nissan Skyline '70 *
50: Nissan Fairlady '71 *
51: Nissan Skyline '73 *
52: Nissan Skyline R31 '87
53: Nissan Silvia Q's S13 '88
54: Nissan Fairlady Z '89
55: Nissan Silvia K's S13 '90
56: Nissan R32 GT-R Nismo '90 *
57: Nissan R32 GT-R '94
58: Nissan Silvia K's S14 '94
59: Nissan Silvia K's Aero S14 '96
60: Nissan 180SX '96
61: Nissan R33 GT-R '97
62: Nissan Sileighty '98
63: Nissan R34 GT-R '02
64: Nissan Fairlady Z Z33 '07
65: Nissan Fairlady Z Z34 '08
66: Nissan Z '23 *
67: Peugeot 208 '14
68: Porsche 911 901 '73 *
69: Porsche 911 930 '81 *
70: Porsche 911 964 '92
71: Porsche 911 993 '95
72: Porsche 911 CS 993 '95
73: Porsche 911 996 '01
74: Porsche 911 997 '09
75: Porsche 911 991 '16
76: Renault Clio V6 '00
77: Renault Clio '15
78: Renault Clio '16 *
79: Subaru Impreza 22B '98
80: Subaru Impreza '99
81: Subaru Impreza '04
82: Subaru BRZ '15
83: Subaru BRZ '18
84: Subaru BRZ '21 *
85: Suzuki Swift '07
86: Toyota Corolla AE86 '83
87: Toyota Sprinter AE86 '83
88: Toyota Supra '88
89: Toyota Celica '94
90: Toyota Supra '97
91: Toyota MR2 '97
92: Toyota Prius '09
93: Toyota Aqua '11
94: Toyota Crown '13
95: Toyota 86 '16
96: Toyota Supra '20
97: Toyota GR Yaris '20
98: Toyota GR86 '21 *
99: Toyota GR Corolla '22
100: TVR Tuscan '00
101: Volkswagen Golf I '83
102: Volkswagen Golf VII '14
103: Volkswagen Polo '14
104: Volvo 240 Estate '93
105: Volvo V40 '13 *

Gr.B (Default Aero: 100-150 Front & 150-250 Rear)
1: BMW M3 '89
2: BMW M3 Sport Evo '89 *
3: Ferrari 308 GTB '75 *
4: Ferrari GTO '84
5: Ford Sierra Cosworth '87 *
6: Lancia Stratos '73 *
7: Lancia Delta HF '91 *
8: Mazda RX-7 FC '90
9: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo III '95 *
10: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV '96 *
11: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo V '98 *
12: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI '99 *
13: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo XI '06
14: Porsche 911 930 '81 *
15: Porsche 959 '87
16: Renault R5 Turbo '80 *
17: Subaru Impreza '99 *
18: Subaru Impreza '04 *

Other
Whatever you can think of with the current car list in GT7. Cup cars, stockcars, maybe even dragster and drift templates. Too many options to list, but at this point the normal non-template customisation should be fine.

174 Homologation templates, from the 511 total cars in the game as of the next update (1.49).

As for liveries, the default one from after the template application could just be something simple, like the "Base Model" cars from GT6. People will most likely design their own replicas etc anyway so it doesn't make sense to take too much time with the default design.

Last edited:
IMO I think the RM system could be a lot like evolving Pokemon, complete with how some species in that franchise have multiple evolutions. So for example, let's say you buy a Hyundai Genesis Coupe. You could then either turn it into its Gr.4, Gr.3, or Gr.B version.

But on the other hand, I do sort of prefer the (mostly) unified costs for various grouped racers, whereas with the RM mechanic, it could very much differ. Imagine only being able to get a Veyron Gr.4 by first purchasing a 2m credit Veyron!

Last edited:
If they really wanted to get wild, and this would be a ton of work, but imagine if you could select the group for which you want the car to be upgraded to.

Gr.B, Gr.4, Gr.3, Gr.2 - even a modern day Le Mans Hypercar using the styling cues from the road car with a super stripped down/custom interior using a custom steering wheel of choice.

Would be so cool. Tons and tons of work but it’d be mad rocking up in a EK inspired Hypercar or even a massively upgraded Gr.2 body shell based on the road car.

Maybe the upgrade is to grouped performance levels, but there’s an option to make the car part of that category or not. It’d be classed as a racing car but not a Group B/4/3/2/1 car unless you choose that designation.

Maybe have that be something you can toggle at will once you have the upgrades.

Probably wouldn’t make sense to have this for every car, especially if you build a classic car to modern racing standards visually - although I think it would look very cool. Maybe a fairly wide selection of cars from 1990s onwards would be eligible for the upgrades.

And if you want to include older cars, give them period accurate racing kits. They would probably make Group 4/3 at most performance wise, and the older cars (pre-90s) might need a new class.

Probably won’t happen but it would be really cool, and it’d be a fun way to really let you bring your favourite car further.

EDIT: @MIE1992, just saw your message, we were thinking on similar lines haha. That system would be great imo. Would love if you could expand it all the way to Gr.1 too.

Last edited:

Maybe this is just for a GT4 mod or maybe something more. Who knows.

I doubt it's for a GT4 mod considering the Pagani Zonda was featured in the base game already, in 3 different versions plus a fictional race car.

I do recall something about Polyphony sampling the audio from a standard Zonda a long time ago, but it was thought to be eventually used for the Zonda R. That in itself was weird considering the R was a lot louder.

Bit odd if the tweet relates to it returning to GT7 too, since it would be leaking a car that hasn't been shown in a trailer for an upcoming update. One would think a leaker/dataminer wouldn't be that open about it, at least on public social media.
So I doubt it's related to GT7, unless the leaker specifically states otherwise.

Post Update: Turns out it's just to do with the blue paint colour option for it in a mod, as the posts below indicate.

Last edited:

Maybe this is just for a GT4 mod or maybe something more. Who knows.

Don't think about it too much, what he's probably talking about is bringing back the blue seen in the GT Concept version of the Zonda S 7.3. It wasn't in subsequent GT games at all so restoring this into a GT4 mod is probably what he's highlighting here.

Don't think about it too much, what he's probably talking about is bringing back the blue seen in the GT Concept version of the Zonda S 7.3. It wasn't in subsequent GT games at all so restoring this into a GT4 mod is probably what he's highlighting here.
This is part of my GT4 mod and has absolutely nothing to do with GT7.
Ah so it's a paint colour option. Edited my post to include this clarification.
With us having the ability to paint cars whatever colour we like ever since GT5, the thought of it being blue and not silver completely slipped my mind.

If they really wanted to get wild, and this would be a ton of work, but imagine if you could select the group for which you want the car to be upgraded to.

Gr.B, Gr.4, Gr.3, Gr.2 - even a modern day Le Mans Hypercar using the styling cues from the road car with a super stripped down/custom interior using a custom steering wheel of choice.

Would be so cool. Tons and tons of work but it’d be mad rocking up in a EK inspired Hypercar or even a massively upgraded Gr.2 body shell based on the road car.

Maybe the upgrade is to grouped performance levels, but there’s an option to make the car part of that category or not. It’d be classed as a racing car but not a Group B/4/3/2/1 car unless you choose that designation.

Maybe have that be something you can toggle at will once you have the upgrades.

Probably wouldn’t make sense to have this for every car, especially if you build a classic car to modern racing standards visually - although I think it would look very cool. Maybe a fairly wide selection of cars from 1990s onwards would be eligible for the upgrades.

And if you want to include older cars, give them period accurate racing kits. They would probably make Group 4/3 at most performance wise, and the older cars (pre-90s) might need a new class.

Probably won’t happen but it would be really cool, and it’d be a fun way to really let you bring your favourite car further.

EDIT: @MIE1992, just saw your message, we were thinking on similar lines haha. That system would be great imo. Would love if you could expand it all the way to Gr.1 too.
You can do this sort of thing in Racing Lagoon.

You can do this sort of thing in Racing Lagoon.

Here’s the full set of customisation if anyone’s wondering.

Aero-C is the Group C inspired kit, everything from a Civic, Vette to a box truck & bus can accept it. :lol:

And that’s just ONE of the many things you can do in Racing Laggon. ;)

Latest Posts

Back