Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,084 comments
But this isn't the case at all. Even in custom races the AI still sucks. I set up a mock NLS race where I had Gr3s and Gr4s on grid with me being in a Gr4, and the leading cars dropped 16 seconds in their lap times from the first lap to the third. The AI doesn't maintain a decent pace, adjusts their speed to make things "fair", drives with blinders on, and is in no way any sort of realistic competition.

I came in third place absolutely blasting past 7 of the Gr3s with no fight put up by them, and I was hot on the heels of the first two down Dottinger straight. With another lap I would have won the race.

I did another one recently with the Trueno AE86 (stock on SH tires) in a custom race starting from the back on the 'Ring, and I passed every one before Adenauer, completely stopped at Ausfahrt and waited for every car to pass, then passed them again in the next few corners. Watching the replay back the AI slowed down to like 30mph and were waiting for me. This is on professional difficulty. Pretty pathetic.

Sophy is the closest thing we have to real competition in game, but it can't be used in custom races, and is very limited in where it can be used.

Custom race AI is never competitive.
I wouldn’t say never for my races. Yes, AI will adjust speed which I don’t like. However, it really does depend what cars and tracks players use that the programming adjusts to. Group A and Super Touring cars work the best for me. I just found through the way I set the cars up not even having to handicap my own car. I use the same exact car the AI use. This way I can jump in an alternate livery without adjusting the car. Only the AI have all aids turned on. I only use ABS Default.

For those that it’s too long and didn’t watch, not going to lie and say every race is a hit. I do have misses with some set ups and unfortunately I shouldn’t have to stay away from some cars and track combinations. I will, for my experiences, call my races fifty fifty for how competitive the programming is. I’m rarely winning let alone making it on the podium in my races. No matter the length of any one race.

I honestly was predicting an update to either come next week or even in the middle of August oddly enough since the update schedule is just wonky in general.

I honestly was predicting an update to either come next week or even in the middle of August oddly enough since the update schedule is just wonky in general.
Not so wonky. Mostly we get an update last Thursday of the month. But people forget that does not apply to holiday seasons: summer holidays and around Xmas. So we didn't get an August update and now we most likely get another update last Thursday of September.

Last edited:
I ran it through a translator (not Translator San).

Unlike chickens, it is difficult to distinguish between males and females in quail, so there are males mixed in with the quail used for egg collection (normally only females are needed)... In other words, there is a certain probability that they will be fertile. When I heard that there were eggs, I bought 24 quail eggs at the supermarket and heated them in an incubator.

Then, 17 days later, two quails hatched.

cute.
TLDR: Kaz brought two chickens to life.

Not exactly something that gets the hype train rolling, but I guess it can still be taken as a sign of progress over at PD.

But this isn't the case at all. Even in custom races the AI still sucks. I set up a mock NLS race where I had Gr3s and Gr4s on grid with me being in a Gr4, and the leading cars dropped 16 seconds in their lap times from the first lap to the third. The AI doesn't maintain a decent pace, adjusts their speed to make things "fair", drives with blinders on, and is in no way any sort of realistic competition.

I came in third place absolutely blasting past 7 of the Gr3s with no fight put up by them, and I was hot on the heels of the first two down Dottinger straight. With another lap I would have won the race.

I did another one recently with the Trueno AE86 (stock on SH tires) in a custom race starting from the back on the 'Ring, and I passed every one before Adenauer, completely stopped at Ausfahrt and waited for every car to pass, then passed them again in the next few corners. Watching the replay back the AI slowed down to like 30mph and were waiting for me. This is on professional difficulty. Pretty pathetic.

Sophy is the closest thing we have to real competition in game, but it can't be used in custom races, and is very limited in where it can be used.

Custom race AI is never competitive.
Have you set boost to weak?

Has anyone noticed how much worse Sophy got since the initial GT7 one-make preview?? I ran a few laps around Nurb24 with the most difficult Sophy and was shocked how bad it is. It displays the same patterns of the regular ‘old’ AI: decently fast pace until you get close to it, unwillingness to fight over the position, overractive behavior around the player, phantom braking, brake checking, etc… I don’t get it, it was incredible in the preview. I can’t believe it’s so much worse. I don’t think I’d even be able to tell the difference now without knowing which is which. What might be the reason behind this?

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed how much worse Sophy got since the initial GT7 one-make preview?? I ran a few laps around Nurb24 with the most difficult Sophy and was shocked how bad it is. It displays the same patterns of the regular ‘old’ AI: decently fast pace until you get close to it, unwillingness to fight over the position, overractive behavior around the player, phantom braking, brake checking, etc… I don’t get it, it was incredible in the preview. I can’t believe it’s so much worse. I don’t think I’d even be able to tell the difference now without knowing which is which. What might be the reason behind this?
Generative AI has terrible degradation, especially with artificial data ( i.e. not using unlimited automatic real time replays as data sets from all players online and offline ), It has only gotten worse now for over a decade, but hype and fools rush in...

Generative AI has terrible degradation, especially with artificial data ( i.e. not using unlimited automatic real time replays as data sets from all players online and offline ), It has only gotten worse now for over a decade, but hype and fools rush in...
Yeah you’re right, but I thought it only applied to language models. If that’s the case with any kind of generative AI, we might not see such a groundbreaking revolution after all.

Are you taking into account that only the first 3 (or 1/3, don't know for sure) cars are the "real Sophy"?

The last 1/3 of the grid is "Sophy on easy", mid 1/3 the medium, and first 1/3 is the hard/real Sophy.

So you will see bad AI behavior from several cars in the grid, maybe most of them, despite them being Sophy.

Yeah you’re right, but I thought it only applied to language models. If that’s the case with any kind of generative AI, we might not see such a groundbreaking revolution after all.
No we won't. It's hype, but it will have huge negative impacts with the obscene ignorant stochastic parrot buy in. I've been working with autonomous learning models since the turn of the century and non-happy path realities, which people actually generally handle reasonably, still unravels the 'magic' of monstrously large weighted neural graphs. Anyone on the affected side of their use is going to have a bad time. The only hope is massive data collection. Without every race replay captured and accurately labelled ( collisions, mistakes, penalties, flagging, etc ) for model training, it's a quagmire.

Last edited:
I agree.

It's as if it's Kaz's obligation to post updates every month, when in fact we don't even know what's going on behind closed doors.

Some people just don't learn, do they?
Maybe if there was enough proper content in the first place people wouldn't chase so many updates?

I agree.

It's as if it's Kaz's obligation to post updates every month, when in fact we don't even know what's going on behind closed doors.

Some people just don't learn, do they?
We don't know what's going on behind closed doors, but we can look at industry trends, i.e. hardware, events (TGS, SoP), and put together a reasonable guess at what PD is working on. I think back to PSVR2, support in GT7 was announced weeks before the system launched, then we learned PD had been working on it since GT7 was conceived!

It could be a similar situation with PS5 Pro, a substantial technical update, backed with new content, perhaps Spec III. At one point I did think GT8 would be announced in '25. But seeing how mismanaged Sony's studios have been this gen, resulting in so few 1st Party titles, Sony will see GT7 as a safe bet. Offer updates for the next couple of years and perhaps monetise it in some way.

One day GT7 updates will stop. But I believe we're still at a stage where any missed months should only increase expectations for a future update.

Back