Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 41,115 comments
I heard there was some sort of licensing issue with it, even when it appeared in GT6.
Nissan were sued by Panoz and DeltaWing group for the design on the basis it ripped off thier IP, which I believe is the reason it doesn't appear in anything anymore.

Last edited:
How many cars do you think is plausible to expect to be added from this point in the games life cycle? Whether they are free or paid DLC? I would pay up for a big expansion if it was composed of real world cars that people actually drive. Too many VGT/hotwheels cars imho.

How many cars do you think is plausible to expect to be added from this point in the games life cycle? Whether they are free or paid DLC? I would pay up for a big expansion if it was composed of real world cars that people actually drive. Too many VGT/hotwheels cars imho.
I expect another few years of monthly updates, so in that regard I would be surprised if we had less than 100 new cars, which they can cover a fair bit of ground with, and hopefully bring them into the later titles too.

To balance that slightly optimistic note though, I don't expect more than 3 or 4 new tracks.

Honest question: In the history of racing games, has anyone ever included the Foxbody? I seriously cannot remember a single title that has ever included one (Not even the single DTM entry some mad lad ran back in the day)
Forza Motorsport 7 had a 1982 IMSA Foxbody. NFS had a couple too if you can count it. Still, for how common they are IRL, Foxbody and SN95 Mustangs are not often seen in video games. (GT has only ever had the Cobra R SN95 and 0 Fox-bodies).

Forza Motorsport 7 had a 1982 IMSA Foxbody. NFS had a couple too if you can count it. Still, for how common they are IRL, Foxbody and SN95 Mustangs are not often seen in video games. (GT has only ever had the Cobra R SN95 and 0 Fox-bodies).
We had the other SN95s too. The two GTs and Cobras. The Cobra R was in GT3.

For the Cobra R to still be available through GT6 and the other Mustangs axed, it wouldn't have made a big deal to keep those on the list. Maybe the Saleen racing mod needed approval, but we also had the Saleen S7. We need answers, Man.

We had the other SN95s too. The two GTs and Cobras. The Cobra R was in GT3.

For the Cobra R to still be available through GT6 and the other Mustangs axed, it wouldn't have made a big deal to keep those on the list. Maybe the Saleen racing mod needed approval, but we also had the Saleen S7. We need answers, Man.
You're right, the GTs & Cobras were in GT2 and the Cobra R was in later games. I started with GT3, so I suppose that's where I was confused.

Well I said months ago that I'd retire GT7, but I thought that was merely smoke and mirrors, until today when I began thinking about how much more fun I had with Sport and so day has come to uninstall 7 until its faults are fixed. But sadly I don't ever see that happening. Some of these faults are so ingrained into the core design philosophy of 7 that they can't be fixed without serious action being taken. Things such as hagerty pricing, dumb roulette wheel ticket system, cars on a wait with your thumb up your ass period. Nah. No thanks. I've given it enough time and ultimately decided to go back to the superior GTS.

I’ve fairly recently have been really getting into ACC. If anything, playing that game a lot has made me appreciate MORE what GT7 and ACC, “are” and “aren’t”, respectively. To get the most out of ACC, you really have to buy into the pure simulation part of that game, and nerd out over all the intricate details, button mapping, endurance races, complicated pit stops and pit strategies, etc. Yes, the AI and FFB are miles better than GT7; but the UI is clunky as heck, it’s basically GT3 only - and you pretty much have to pick one car and stick with it if you want to get any good. The tracks are layouts are fairly limited (although a lot are new to me, so that’s really cool), and there are bugs-galore.

With GT7, there are soooooo many cars. The track list isn’t that bad. The online racing aspect is miles better than ACC, the livery editor, scapes. The FFB and physics are ‘good enough’, and the game looks absolutely gorgeous. For me personally, GT7 has enough going for it, to see past it’s glaring issues.

But if someone is the type of person that wants a Forza experience with ACC level FFB, AI and Physics? Yea, you’re going to be disappointed

Conversely, if you approach ACC expecting a GT7 or Forza experience, you will also be severely disappointed. At least that was my case the first time I “attempted” to get into ACC

Last edited:
To get the most out of ACC, you really have to buy into the pure simulation part of that game, and nerd out over all the intricate details, button mapping, endurance races, complicated pit stops and pit strategies, etc.
Not to mention the setup rabbit hole.

Much as some like to say they don't count for much and that it's all down to skill, very few of the top drivers, if any, have attained and maintained their rankings sans great setups.

Never approached GT7 as wanting a Forza experience. I never played Forza and have always favored GT as my go-to console driving game. I've been playing GT6 and GTS a lot and what I really wanted was an evolution of those two, what we got was not that. Gameplay took a step back and so has content variety and menu design in 7. In 6 we had go kart tracks, vintage touring cars, even the infamous midget to play around with. Not only that but cars were priced reasonably and you could even change car in GT Auto and buy parts via car settings. 7 took us back in those regards. Go karts but no track for them. Want to buy a muffler pre-race screen? Nope. You must slog your way through many menus.

Sport got rid of content variety but at least gave us a easy to use UI menu and improved on many of the faults that plagued 6. And in both those games I could buy any car I wanted at any time. None of this wait a week for a car only to have artificial miles on it, making it difficult to manage my garage and taking away that sense of ownership.

Speaking of management of the garage we could also sell cars in both games making our garage feel more like our own and not feeling like your browsing a car magazine at a repair shop.

7 tries to hard to put this car collecting mentality, but reality is I don't care enough about the cars to even want to collect them, and part of that feeling of not caring comes from being given so many cars but very little interesting events and tracks to use them on.

I could write an entire essay on 7 and how it fails to be as fun as Sport and 6 but I'm going to stop this post right here.

Last edited:
I just realized that since the 1984 Nissan Skyline Super Silhouette goes into Gr.3, so could the Lancia Stratos Turbo, which similarly was in Group 5.

Drive around Willow Springs for 30 minutes and come back to me on that. The feature is very much in the game and works fine, it's just set to accumulate way too slowly. Willow is the only place I've found where your car is visibly grubby after a decent stint.

View attachment 1205393
Now that I think about it, does rain wash off this stuff? Cause I grind Spa 800 a lot and have only come across 2 races that were completely dry. And even then I haven’t noticed my car getting dirty.

Now that I think about it, does rain wash off this stuff? Cause I grind Spa 800 a lot and have only come across 2 races that were completely dry. And even then I haven’t noticed my car getting dirty.
As far as I'm aware, rain makes it worse. If you get your car up close and personal after a rainy Spa or Le Mans you'll see streaks of dirt on the windscreen. Doesn't seem to be the case when the race is particularly dry.

It's very very faint though. As I say, only Willow Springs seems to have it accumulate at a normal rate.
20970161554009996.jpg

I heard there was some sort of licensing issue with it, even when it appeared in GT6.
I have wondered why the Deltawing wasn't continued in the franchise. It was an oddball at Le Mans and PD seem to enjoy these types of cars
That one had a weird license debacle. I think it originally was a Nissan Deltawing, then Panoz and Nissan had some weird legal dispute, since Panoz was one of the main backers of the car IIRC.

I have wondered why the Deltawing wasn't continued in the franchise. It was an oddball at Le Mans and PD seem to enjoy these types of cars
Nissan were sued by Panoz and DeltaWing group for the design on the basis it ripped off thier IP, which I believe is the reason it doesn't appear in anything anymore.
That one had a weird license debacle. I think it originally was a Nissan Deltawing, then Panoz and Nissan had some weird legal dispute, since Panoz was one of the main backers of the car IIRC.
So... it's a lot weirder than all of this. In fact it's a mess.

In essence the car raced at Le Mans was called Nissan DeltaWing, but the only thing actually Nissan about it was the engine... which was actually a Chevrolet Cruze engine with Nissan Juke fuel injection (hence the DiG-T badging) supplied by RML but don't tell anyone.

The car was technically the "DeltaWing Coupe", run by "DeltaWing Racing" - which consisted of the designer Ben Bowlby (who originally planned it as a next-gen IndyCar), the constructors (AAR/All American Racers), the race team that ran it (Highcroft), Michelin (don't know why), lead investor Chip Ganassi (who funded it as a next-gen IndyCar, as Bowlby's boss), and managing partner Don Panoz.

Nissan's involvement was kind of brief and technically superficial, so at the end of the Le Mans deal (which included Petit Le Mans), DeltaWing Racing had a bit of a shakeup. Panoz brought the manufacturing in-house, switching from the AMR-One chassis to one made by Elan (which would be... Don Panoz's company) with the Elan/Mazda engine - and a closed canopy. Bowlby meanwhile designed the surprisingly similar ZEOD for Nissan.

Panoz and Ganassi unsurprisingly sued Bowlby and Nissan - and I think Darren Cox at Nissan specifically too; I'm not sure what the outcome was, as it was confidentially settled out of court. Given that we've never seen ZEOD or the BladeGlider concept car again, I can guess, but then Cox got promoted to global motorsport director and Bowlby designed the GT-R LM NISMO LMP1 for Nissan. Which went well.

GT6 was kind of caught up in this, as it appears Nissan had licensed the DeltaWing to PD but Don Panoz was the licensee as the holder of the vehicle's image rights. It was briefly removed from the game before launch, and added later - as the "DeltaWing Sponsored by Nissan at Le Mans" (catchy) - alongside the chrome Petit Le Mans version without Nissan sponsorship, under the DeltaWing marque.

As to why it's not been seen since GT6, Panoz reportedly requires a licensing fee of $1m for the car.

I wouldn't be surprised if this entire legal fiasco is why this car (Regardless of iteration) hasn't been featured in..well to my knowledge, literally nothing else (Discounting PC mods for obvious reasons).

So... it's a lot weirder than all of this. In fact it's a mess.

In essence the car raced at Le Mans was called Nissan DeltaWing, but the only thing actually Nissan about it was the engine... which was actually a Chevrolet Cruze engine with Nissan Juke fuel injection (hence the DiG-T badging) supplied by RML but don't tell anyone.

The car was technically the "DeltaWing Coupe", run by "DeltaWing Racing" - which consisted of the designer Ben Bowlby (who originally planned it as a next-gen IndyCar), the constructors (AAR/All American Racers), the race team that ran it (Highcroft), Michelin (don't know why), lead investor Chip Ganassi (who funded it as a next-gen IndyCar, as Bowlby's boss), and managing partner Don Panoz.

Nissan's involvement was kind of brief and technically superficial, so at the end of the Le Mans deal (which included Petit Le Mans), DeltaWing Racing had a bit of a shakeup. Panoz brought the manufacturing in-house, switching from the AMR-One chassis to one made by Elan (which would be... Don Panoz's company) with the Elan/Mazda engine - and a closed canopy. Bowlby meanwhile designed the surprisingly similar ZEOD for Nissan.

Panoz and Ganassi unsurprisingly sued Bowlby and Nissan - and I think Darren Cox at Nissan specifically too; I'm not sure what the outcome was, as it was confidentially settled out of court. Given that we've never seen ZEOD or the BladeGlider concept car again, I can guess, but then Cox got promoted to global motorsport director and Bowlby designed the GT-R LM NISMO LMP1 for Nissan. Which went well.

GT6 was kind of caught up in this, as it appears Nissan had licensed the DeltaWing to PD but Don Panoz was the licensee as the holder of the vehicle's image rights. It was briefly removed from the game before launch, and added later - as the "DeltaWing Sponsored by Nissan at Le Mans" (catchy) - alongside the chrome Petit Le Mans version without Nissan sponsorship, under the DeltaWing marque.

As to why it's not been seen since GT6, Panoz reportedly requires a licensing fee of $1m for the car.

Thanks making sense of all of that! It's a shame when politics get in the way of fun.

I don't understand why people want Grand Valley back. PD can't make good tracks anymore and they definitely don't know how to remaster a track without ruining its flow and overall character that made it fun and popular to begin with as we've seen with Trial Mountain and Deep Forest...

So okay you want Grand Valley back? The bridge and tunnels? Cut. Straight section? Twice as long. Road surface? As wide as the Los Angeles freeway. Oh and don't forget a nasty chicane somewhere where because realism.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people want Grand Valley back. PD can't make good tracks anymore and they definitely don't know how to remaster a track without ruining it's flow and overall character that made it fun and popular to begin with as we've seen with Trial Mountain and Deep Forest...

So okay you want Grand Valley back? The bridge and tunnels? Cut. Straight section? Twice as long. Road surface? As wide as the Los Angeles freeway. Oh and don't forget a nasty chicane somewhere where because realism.
I don't see them changing Grand Valley too much.

I don't understand why people want Grand Valley back. PD can't make good tracks anymore and they definitely don't know how to remaster a track without ruining its flow and overall character that made it fun and popular to begin with as we've seen with Trial Mountain and Deep Forest...

This is absurd hyperbole lol. They made Trial Mountain a bit longer and changed a chicane, and added a hairpin to Deep Forest.

You can dislike the changes but 90% of the track is literally identical, and the changes they did make may be less aesthetically pleasing but certainly are better for racing.

Wasn't Grand Valley thicc all around anyways? I don't remember it being the thinnest of courses. Trial Mountain isn't THAT wide except for the final chicane. Deep Forest, I agree with you.

Hopefully the track is at least as wide as the 110 freeway, purely for passing opportunities. But I’m with you on the return of grand valley. I’m not super excited about it’s probable return. Would rather have a real life track

Trial Mountain is not identical though. The sweeping canopy trees have been removed and the road surface is too wide to make it feel like a mountain road, and the tall trees and lack of safety fencing make it too rural to be a proper race track that the game tries to portray it as being.

And that sharp turn on Deep Forest? L. O. L. Perfect trolling from PD.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back