Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 40,747 comments
Will anyone from GTPlanet be at the Montreal event?

Will there be a Q&A session with Kaz?

We rarely get answers to everything we want to know. But after a good 12 months of little to no official communication from PD & Kaz. I’d like to think we’d at least get the curtesy of an update on the status of GT7 and some broad ambitions for the future.

We don’t need specifics. But it’s getting a little disrespectful to the Gran Turismo community just to pop-up once a month with silhouettes and a few bland official account tweets. No other developer in PlayStation 1st Party is this secretive.

We rarely get answers to everything we want to know. But after a good 12 months of little to no official communication from PD & Kaz. I’d like to think we’d at least get the curtesy of an update on the status of GT7 and some broad ambitions for the future.

We don’t need specifics. But it’s getting a little disrespectful to the Gran Turismo community just to pop-up once a month with silhouettes and a few bland official account tweets. No other developer in PlayStation 1st Party is this secretive.
If we had optimism like yours, the world would be such a better place to be...

This is one of the most entitled perspectives I’ve seen for a while. Years ago it was totally normal for game developers to operate in silence unless asked by journalists. The choice not to embrace various communication channels is not a matter of disrespect. It’s just keeping it old school and business as usual. Kaz doesn’t even have to post the silhouette teasers, but he does.

The GT franchise has always sold like warm bread, so I don’t even know why PD would want to change their ways.

Last edited:
I did notice that one of the events leading into the finals for the World Tour event at Montreal involves various road cars, which are to be revealed. Specifically, it seems that for the Nations Cup, there's a qualifier, then a Sprint Race before the Grand Final. Interestingly, the Manufacturers Cup doesn't have a Sprint Race, but for the Nations Cup, the results of that initial qualifier will influence which driver will pick which car. The results of the Sprint Race will then determine the grid order for the Grand Final.

The Sprint Race is seven laps of Watkins Glen in its entirety. My bet is that the update is coming next Thursday on the 4th of July, with at least one new car being featured in this Sprint Race.

EDIT: Also, I think that only the Sprint Race and Grand Final are streamed for the Nations Cup, according to the official page, whereas the initial qualifier for the Nations Cup isn't streamed at all. Meanwhile, the qualifier for the Manufacturers Cup does seem like it'll be broadcasted.

EDIT2: Now maybe I'm reaching a bit here, but considering the Sprint Race is being held at Watkins Glen, maybe there'll be a particular motif to the road cars that will be available. Perhaps they'll be American cars? Even then, they could be more modern stuff, or maybe classic muscle from the 60s/70s. Personally, I'm hoping for the Corvette (C5) Z06, or maybe even the return of Callaway since Watkins Glen is relatively close to them. (Though not as close as Lime Rock Park, haha!)

Last edited:
I did notice that one of the events leading into the finals for the World Tour event at Montreal involves various road cars, which are to be revealed. Specifically, it seems that for the Nations Cup, there's a qualifier, then a Sprint Race before the Grand Final. Interestingly, the Manufacturers Cup doesn't have a Sprint Race, but for the Nations Cup, the results of that initial qualifier will influence which driver will pick which car. The results of the Sprint Race will then determine the grid order for the Grand Final.

The Sprint Race is seven laps of Watkins Glen in its entirety. My bet is that the update is coming next Thursday on the 4th of July, with at least one new car being featured in this Sprint Race.

EDIT: Also, I think that only the Sprint Race and Grand Final are streamed for the Nations Cup, according to the official page, whereas the initial qualifier for the Nations Cup isn't streamed at all. Meanwhile, the qualifier for the Manufacturers Cup does seem like it'll be broadcasted.

EDIT2: Now maybe I'm reaching a bit here, but considering the Sprint Race is being held at Watkins Glen, maybe there'll be a particular motif to the road cars that will be available. Perhaps they'll be American cars? Even then, they could be more modern stuff, or maybe classic muscle from the 60s/70s. Personally, I'm hoping for the Corvette (C5) Z06, or maybe even the return of Callaway since Watkins Glen is relatively close to them. (Though not as close as Lime Rock Park, haha!)
Don't get your hopes up too much, it'll be the same selection of road cars they used last year.

This is one of the most entitled perspectives I’ve seen for a while. Years ago it was totally normal for game developers to operate in silence unless asked by journalists. The choice not to embrace various communication channels is not a matter of disrespect. It’s just keeping it old school and business as usual. Kaz doesn’t even have to post the silhouette teasers, but he does.

The GT franchise has always sold like warm bread, so I don’t even know why PD would want to change their ways.
No, it isn't. For any game as a service, close communications between developer and its fanbase is just common place.

It's super light and not as intrusive as what you usually associate with a service game, but I think GT7 certainly classifies as one.

Why? It has all the features of a service game.
its multi-genre/evolving
official-categorization-of-playstation-studios-by-sony-v0-vot5t0yunc4d1.jpg

:P

Last edited:

Sony aren't spending huge sums on lavish GTWS events out of the goodness of their hearts. They're flying out journalist and influencers in return for coverage and ultimately to sell copies of GT7. These events haven't captured the communities imagination, let alone the wider public. One very obvious, cost effective, way to do that is with a marketing campaign that engages the single-player community and brings additional eyes to the event. Not unlike the early days when this forum was abuzz with discussion.

Every studio within Sony has to justify their budgets, even Naughty Dog and Insomniac have suffered cut-backs. The bean counters aren't going to give GTWS a free ride if it's not delivering results. Rather than being set in their ways I'd rather PD implement some simple changes to better engage with their community and use opportunities like GTWS to their fullest potential.
GT7 is not a service.
GT7 straddles the line where it has many of the features of a service game without a clear way to monetise DLC content (seasons, cars, tracks, cosmetics etc.).

For a franchise like Gran Turismo the service model is the obvious direction to move in. Before monetisation comes online PD need to improve their communication and implement something akin to a road map. It's not a huge ask, they benefit as much as the community by selling more copies and generating more revenue.

Polyphony Digital's financial results for the fiscal year ended March 24 show a 18.8% decline in final profit to 331 million yen..."Gran Turismo" development studio​

Not sure what this entails as it's about the studio itself rather than the title(s) that are published by Sony.

Last edited:

Polyphony Digital's financial results for the fiscal year ended March 24 show a 18.8% decline in final profit to 331 million yen..."Gran Turismo" development studio​

Not sure what this entails as it's about the studio itself rather than the title(s) that are published by Sony.
Hopefully they'll bring more worthy content and reasons for players to keep purchasing their stuff. Otherwise, it would be like a pond on a very dry summer.

I mean a real gaas put their content under pay wall. Gt7, 2.5 years old and still add free content each month. I mean they even do not know what they are…good for a non gaas game, really bad as a gaas game especially if they want to make money after that they sold a copy.

That's significantly more positive than I would have expected. They made a profit in a financial year where they didn't put a game out - in the current game development environment where studios are dying left and right even when they do put a game out, that is really good going.

I might be late, but looks like live timings will also be available in the upcoming GTWS Montreal.

Manufacturers Cup

Nations Cup

There're supposed to be 2 ways to watch them along with the race itself; both of the race and live timing on your PC (multi-task) or if you don't have a PC (just like me), watch the race in GT7 and live timing on your smartphone.

It's always online and maintained like a service.

It has daily races (that are actually weekly)
Rotating online time trials
Weekly challenges
The odd (Toyota) online event
(Pointless) premium currency

It's a service game. Suuuper light, but still.
It may be that it can operate with funding from outside the userbase. Racing games (particularly in the sim space) have a unique factor in that real consumer products are are a consistent and continuous active feature and aspect to the game. This allows for sponsor and product placement opportunities that aren’t really possible in other genres.

Most notably - Hagerty, Brembo, Michelin, and the manufacture sponsors for the live events. Essentially by maintaining an active playerbase, they continue to show these “advertisements” to the userbase, which essentially continues the cycle of funding, in theory. If that’s the case, I don’t really know if that’s really a “live service”, certainly not in the traditional sense.

There’s no way to know how all the different licensing deals work within PD, but it’s entirely possible some of the DLC cars feature some sort of partnership incentive, I’d imagine most heavily so with VGTs.

If the model has been working then it’s impressive - I’ve always assumed PD essentially is a major R&D studio for the PlayStation brand, and can therefore operate its games at a loss, as internal work at PD is part of what decides motion in hardware and system software for PlayStation as a whole.

I’ve always thought it would be smart for them to offer packs of official liveries or sticker packs, as they can be optimized beyond the limitations of the custom livery editor, and they too could implement brand partnership aspects as well, while the playerbase has some optional additional content if they want it.

I’m not exactly sure how to close this off but the last two GT games haven’t felt like live service games, not compared to others that I’ve played, just regular games with modern post-launch support.

Back