Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 40,951 comments
Judging a game's quality based on the number of events is stupid
And I won't say people should do that, I was making a point that 236 events after 2 years of updates is not that impressive as there's been similar numbers of events or more done in the past. That and the racing while silly was more engaging.

In the OG announcement video it had a different UI to final release
I noticed just now what you meant by mentioning the similar GT4 UI (in the Trailer)

My bad my bad, I got up 25 minutes ago xD

Edit: To RandomCarGuy17, yeah I'm a bit slow today, haven't gotten to my coffee yet ^^

Last edited:
Everyone will blame me, but I have to say this. Why is the event important? I think games like this should give different pleasure to all users. Because games like GT7 are accessory games, if your equipment is good, you are good too. That's why each user evaluates it separately.

Other Games:
1719989651821.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GT7:
1719989871108.png

Everyone will blame me, but I have to say this. Why is the event important? I think games like this should give different pleasure to all users. Because games like GT7 are accessory games, if your equipment is good, you are good too. That's why each user evaluates it separately.

Other Games:
View attachment 1369567

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GT7:
View attachment 1369568
I don't know about you, but I switched to steering wheel (in this case LVL3) and I still get beaten by my friends with their controllers...the equipment has something to do with skill, yes, but not this much (in my opinion at least)

That and the racing while silly was more engaging.
The amount of events or cars does not direclty translate into the engagement you will pull out and create fun with, and then add the theme to the game to see how these 3 things combine to create memorable moments.

Then you can compare GT to Forza To ACC to Grid to Dirt to Need for Speed to .... to Mario Kart.
For the enthusiast any of the "sim games" will beat any of the "fun games" and only compete in their same grade.
For the mor casual player it may be quite a different story.
I never liked any Need for Speed except for NFSU (part 1, because of drifting)
I never liked drifting in GT
I really sank quite a lot of time into non sim games, but I doubt all of them can keep up with the combined hours of GT*
Yet, to me the best total package racing game was Grid Legends, while the most fun racing game will always be Mega Man Racing with its totally unfair and hardly beatable final track AI.
Ridge Racer was remembered as the worst of all, even worse than if Street Fighter: The movie - the game was a racing game.

I don't know about you, but I switched to steering wheel (in this case LVL3) and I still get beaten by my friends with their controllers...the equipment has something to do with skill, yes, but not this much (in my opinion at least)
I am LVL 2, but there is an incredible difference compared to LVL 1. I'm moving towards LVL 3.

Do you think it is easier to turn the steering wheel with a 1 cm knob or a 20 - 25 cm circle?

Of course this is a start. such as car settings, track information, continuous training. But it would be nice to start the match with a 1-0 lead.?

Last edited:
Here's every mainline GT's count by my count. Only races and championships are counted, so things like missions and GT5/6s special events are not.

GT1 59
GT2 228
GT3 337
GT4 511
GT5 141 (A-spec only, it doesn't get double credit for B-spec being separate versions of the same races)
GT6 201
GTS 301
GT7 236

So from a length perspective GT4 is the longest by far, then GT3 and Sport, then 2/6/7 all kind of together, then GT5 needing B-spec to pad itself, then GT1 last which is forgiveable as game 1 in the series.

Let say these numbers are "pages", then GT4 was a 511 pages book, while GT7 is a heap of 236 pages fallen out of a folder.

Numbers are just numbers, structure is more important than a raw number of events. They can pile as many events as they want in GT7, if they do not fit into a coherent structure they don't serve any goal to me.

I think the event count is so important at this stage because many of us are playing endgame and finding out how lacking it really is.

Of course we want a proper, fully featured progression path through to endgame, with many events, series and championships that uses the whole roster of car classes/types, but this is where we are.

In the absence of good structure/progression, you need a great endgame. With a great structure/progression, the endgame events should be your biggest and greatest events that leave you with a sense of completion of scaling the mountain of content.

Last edited:
I am LVL 2, but there is an incredible difference compared to LVL 1. I'm moving towards LVL 3.

Do you think it is easier to turn the steering wheel with a 1 cm knob or a 20 - 25 cm circle?
It's not as simple as that. The implementation is such that controller users can very much keep up with wheel users. If you need proof, just look at the leaderboard that's regularly posted in the time trial results thread. You can definitely be competitive on a controller. Now, immersion is a different topic. I wouldn't want to go back to a controller even if I were faster on it.

I think it's pretty clear that the majority of events in World Circuits are not very interesting. There are a few exceptions, but aside from these, I have mostly ignored WC events since completing the menu books, apart from doing the weekly challenges, which are hit and miss, largely as a result of chase the rabbit. I think the criticism of these events is mostly fair.

But what I find interesting / fascinating is how much people care about this. For me, these World Circuit events are more like a quick play / arcade mode, and there is so much good content outside of these events to be enjoyed. Obviously other people have not had the same experience, but between missions, licence tests, circuit experiences, daily Sport races, online time trials, online lobbies, offline time trials, offline tuning / testing of cars, I still haven't done everything that I want to, even after over 1000 hours of play. Of course this is just my opinion but the fundamentals of GT7 are so good that I keep coming back for more: the quality and variety of tracks, the quality and variety of cars, the excellent physics engine, the glorious graphics, the brilliant VR implementation. I can't get enough, and for me this completely eclipses any problems with the singleplayer content.

The other reason I don't really care about the WC events is that I am much more disappointed in the Custom Races. Given the great foundations that GT7 has, this mode could be sensational, but the broken AI and rubberbanding completely ruin it for me.

Guys, I can't wait for Saturday. I feel it is gonna be a neat update!
If it has something that I've been hearing a smidge about, then I'd actually expect the reception to be mixed. But I suppose that's inevitable regardless lol.
There will always be people that wish we had X thing instead of Y thing.
If correct though, that one something I think that I know will appeal to more of a specific group of players.
Either way even I won't know for certain until the reveal itself.

I'm not going to share what the something is of course. This post is more for trying to minimise the chance of people hyping themselves up to the point that they'll be disappointed no matter what happens.

Everyone keep your expectations in check, but equally look forward to Saturday! :D

Last edited:
Decided to try my first ever Sport mode race today with Daily Race C, it caught my attention because of the 600% Credit bonus and I thought the car selection was cool(I don't really like driving Gr.3 cars)

I was pretty surprised to see that I got the pole position with only 3 tries :lol:
The race was good but I didn't really have any fights because someone divebombed the first corner and took out 5 cars, so my gap increased by nearly +10secs.

Anyways, I now have a 100% Race Victory Rate.

IMG_4454.jpeg

IMG_4458.jpeg

Another fix would be an event editor: you create the event, set the rules, classes, cars that can be used, points system and schedule. You can name your event, set a bunch of liveries from your gallery or the community as an option and then share it: Poliphony could create a curated area with a constant rotation of community events and wouldn't need to bother with, you know, feeding their own damn game since the community would do this with much more creativity and scope.

But this is way too much common sense, so no.

There is a saying in our country: "If you say a word 40 times, it will happen". That's what I say for Saturday :)

B-Spec - B-Spec - B-Spec - B-Spec
1720003569526.png

Here's every mainline GT's count by my count. Only races and championships are counted, so things like missions and GT5/6s special events are not.

GT1 59
GT2 228
GT3 337
GT4 511
GT5 141 (A-spec only, it doesn't get double credit for B-spec being separate versions of the same races)
GT6 201
GTS 301
GT7 236

So from a length perspective GT4 is the longest by far, then GT3 and Sport, then 2/6/7 all kind of together, then GT5 needing B-spec to pad itself, then GT1 last which is forgiveable as game 1 in the series.
Judging a game's quality based on the number of events is stupid.
That would be stupid, but quality is not the point of this comparison, this factoid only tells us that GT7 is short. My major gripe since finishing the 39 Café books in the first week was that it felt like a very good beginning of a campaign;
Sunday Cup -> B License -> A License -> First 5-race championship -> |Unexpected End| -> Grind.
It's structured like the first 40% of a great GT game, and if - as you progressed through IB, IA and S events - the prizes and difficulty continued to grow up to and beyond the level of the high-Credit anomalies and the 🌶️spicy races, there'd be a satisfactory experience for most players, especially if it ultimately meant less time grinding the same race.
I think it's pretty clear that the majority of events in World Circuits are not very interesting. There are a few exceptions, but aside from these, I have mostly ignored WC events since completing the menu books, apart from doing the weekly challenges, which are hit and miss, largely as a result of chase the rabbit. I think the criticism of these events is mostly fair.

But what I find interesting / fascinating is how much people care about this. For me, these World Circuit events are more like a quick play / arcade mode, and there is so much good content outside of these events to be enjoyed. Obviously other people have not had the same experience, but between missions, licence tests, circuit experiences, daily Sport races, online time trials, online lobbies, offline time trials, offline tuning / testing of cars, I still haven't done everything that I want to, even after over 1000 hours of play. Of course this is just my opinion but the fundamentals of GT7 are so good that I keep coming back for more: the quality and variety of tracks, the quality and variety of cars, the excellent physics engine, the glorious graphics, the brilliant VR implementation. I can't get enough, and for me this completely eclipses any problems with the singleplayer content.

The other reason I don't really care about the WC events is that I am much more disappointed in the Custom Races. Given the great foundations that GT7 has, this mode could be sensational, but the broken AI and rubberbanding completely ruin it for me.
These are also important points: that the WC events are only a small part of what the game has to offer, that the physics make car testing a lot of fun (hear, hear!), and that Custom Race mode could be the best part of the game if it had more than three difficulty settings.

The number of curated races and championships in GT7 shouldn't be a big problem, but it is, completely because of how the game is structured. Every player has to play the mandatory events first, so it's vital that the early-game leaves a good impression. Once players have finished Book 39, the only way to afford more cars is to beat the Missions, Circuit Experiences, Online TTs and... then you're back to playing a lot more of the same part of World Circuits; an unfortunate side-effect of game structure and car pricing.

If Custom Races could replace the lack of high-level events, that would be great, but they cannot.
If Sport Mode daily races paid substantially more than the Jimny Cup, that would be great, but they do not.
If saving up for three McLaren F1 variants didn't involve over 36 hours of racing the top four richest events, or over 90 hours of Custom Races, or 300 to 700 hours of multiplayer, or silver/gold in every Online TT for 60/30 consecutive weeks, that would be great, but it does in this game, and I never want this terrible and easily avoidable situation to happen to GT again.

If GT7 had ~500 events at launch (including Menu Books leading to the S Licence, the traditional endurance races and a formula championship etc.) there's no guarantee that it would be a perfect game, but it would be more enjoyable, for more people, for a longer time and the post-game would be much less repetitious. Updates would be adding in welcomed extra events for variety, not the foundational parts missing at launch like Kei and Gr.1 races.

I too love B-Spec. For years I've thought of how cool it would be to have B-Spec also integrated into online, so you can pit your team against other people like a manager fantasy league within the main game.

Not to mention being able to driver swap between yourself & your B-Spec drivers in an online endurance race.

Would also be cool to see driver swaps between 2 actual players too, and the ability to use A.I. drivers to fill empty grid spaces in lobbies like Forza Motorsport 4 (other Forza games may have also done this).

All of this done with GT Sophy of course. Wouldn't work as good with the regular A.I.

I can dream...

If it has something that I've been hearing a smidge about, then I'd actually expect the reception to be mixed. But I suppose that's inevitable regardless lol.
There will always be people that wish we had X thing instead of Y thing.
If correct though, that one something I think that I know will appeal to more of a specific group of players.
Either way even I won't know for certain until the reveal itself.

I'm not going to share what the something is of course. This post is more for trying to minimise the chance of people hyping themselves up to the point that they'll be disappointed no matter what happens.

Everyone keep your expectations in check, but equally look forward to Saturday! :D
So what you’re saying is no new track? 😜🤣

It isn't when you consider how quickly they lapse. Bear in mind, this is the game which issued the statement "Gran Turismo is back."

That - whether you think it foolish or not - laid the expectation of a more traditional single player experience in terms of events. Couple that with footage of Trial Mountain, a UI which had a similar layout to GT4, and an expectation of a lot of events was set in motion.

At no point did it appear a game focused on a mode barely anyone plays (Sport mode) . Players have therefore been disappointed. This is before you consider the terrible in game economy. Manipulative FOMO car rotation. The scummy flexible pricing of certain cars. The drip feeding of events. The drip feeding of cars. The broken penalty system. The broken lobby system. The antiquated chase the rabbit race format. The unrealistic rolling starts. The absence of qualifying in 99% of races... I could go on
Simon Cowell Wow GIF by America's Got Talent
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards
Clapping Applause GIF
Well Done Applause GIF by MOODMAN
badbanks GIF by ZDF
Clap Applause GIF

Another fix would be an event editor: you create the event, set the rules, classes, cars that can be used, points system and schedule. You can name your event, set a bunch of liveries from your gallery or the community as an option and then share it: Poliphony could create a curated area with a constant rotation of community events and wouldn't need to bother with, you know, feeding their own damn game since the community would do this with much more creativity and scope.

But this is way too much common sense, so no.

This would be the best thing added to GT!
This + full sophy support ;)

The amount of events or cars does not direclty translate into the engagement you will pull out and create fun with, and then add the theme to the game to see how these 3 things combine to create memorable moments.
I think you misunderstood my comment, I was talking about the actual racing in the events was more engaging in that context, not the event count being why it's more engaging.

Back