Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 40,983 comments
While I don't think Gran Turismo 7 is anywhere near perfect, there are two things I do that I don't see others demonstrating:
  1. I very much appreciate what I have in Gran Turismo 7. VR, scapes, free updates, the ability to customize a race if one I want to do doesn't exist, free updates, car collecting, etc.
  2. The game is not meant for just one taste. There is and always will be something players will and won't care for.
Just because I don't complain about this aspect or that issue with the game doesn't mean I ignore any shortcomings. Related, what I find a shortcoming and what you find a shortcoming may well be different things.

Is that at least one point on which we can agree?
I can agree that we're all satisfied with different things. But I can't appreciate what GT7 has to offer, because for each thing I want to enjoy with the game, it keeps coming with a catch. Free updates, which amount to just 3 events and a couple of menu books on average. Yes, there's new cars added, but after doing the new races; I'm back to square one. Doing hotlaps, taking some pictures before finally clicking off the game again and going to play something else.

and well, I'm not going to repeat myself with points already said regarding issues with this game.
Some decisions I may agree were bad, but others likely not so much. I have yet to meet the perfect game.
I haven't either, but I have met games that got way closer to perfection than this one in what they're trying to do.
Some of this is going to be limited in terms of what they can do.
E.G. an A.I. slider for custom races. We have one (beginner/intermediate/professional) but some players want more control.
E.G. 2 is Sophy - the best A.I. in sim racing. It's limited to PS5 and only a handful of short events.

To flesh things out "fully" is dependent on two things:

First: an agreement what "fully fleshed out" means in this case. Opinions will vary greatly on that.
Second: the resources available to implement said fully fleshed out system.
and the first sentence goes back to my point. The choices we've seen right now in GT7 in regards to A.I. in custom races or in GT Cafe aren't down to limitations they have. Even before sophy, they had shown they can make more fun and challenging A.I. to race against, but they simply choose not to do it. There's specific races in GT Cafe mode that prove that.

Fully fleshed out in this context is talking about the single-race structure for GT Cafe mode, the stand-in for what would be Gran Turismo mode in a past GT title. In which, Polyphony Digital being the huge studio it is has the resources to do this. This isn't challenging like you think it is. They didn't need to make sophy, they just needed to make better use of what they had.

There are some technical issues that I would agree are problems, but there are choices in game directions that aren't problems . . . they are simply preferences a number of players do and don't like.
Going to continue disagreeing with this.
those are problems - but as you are not an online player . . . they don't impact you. Your stated preference would be to concentrate on single player.
No, my stated preference would be to concentrate on both and they should be able to have done that. Yes, online won't impact me as I prefer single-player racing, but that doesn't mean I don't recognize those problems. I just didn't bring them up here as it wasn't relevant to this discussion and since I don't play online; I'm not educated enough to know the issues with it. If there are things the fans are complaining about there, then I still recognize them as problems.
The fact GT7 single player is not built like GT Sport (remember that issue?) or GT4 is not a problem it is a decision a number of players - you included - don't like.
Okay, I think you're confused on what players like me are complaining about.

GT4 and GT Sport's singleplayer career modes are brought up continuously due to GT4 being considered the peak of GT by most fans of the series and GT Sport is just the most recent game released before this one. They're being used as benchmarks for what a GT career mode should be.

However, that doesn't mean I or other players want a copy/paste of those exactly. Most of us like you said have a preference in what we want the career mode to be, but we all share one common thing. We want the career mode to be lengthy and fun. Which is NOT the case here. GT Cafe was too short and custom race mode doesn't have enough options nor satisfying enough A.I. to make up the difference...
PD targeted the E-sports/online racing crowd (building off GT Sport) with the sport mode, the art crowd with the livery section, single players (a very vocal crowd at the start of GT Sport) with cafe, missions, licenses and custom races, and shutterbugs with the photo mode. Then they sprinkled other bits around for car collecting buffs (who knew Haggerty would be here?) and other aspects of car culture to create the game we have and - some of us - enjoy.
and once again, they didn't do it well enough. If the continuous complaint about the GT Cafe mode and custom races are still present, then that means they didn't adhere to single-player racing enough. and they clearly don't show any interest in doing so since there's things previously promised that aren't here yet.
I somewhat agree with your position here . . . but I don't think it would be significantly less. There are tons of folks who are only in this game for the online aspect. There will always be people upset with an economy-based game, no matter how easy credits are to come by. However, you'll still get complaints if you remove the credit requirements and either replace them with something else (Forza - you gotta drive the car a certain amount before you upgrade anything) or replace it with nothing. With every car unlocked from the start, many would have nothing to work for. Game is fun for a month or two and that's it.
and you don't have to agree.

I will agree that there will always be people not satisfied with the economy of a game no matter what PD or Turn 10 did with their career mode choices like you said. However once again, I still fully believe that the complaints can be significantly minimized if they structured their economy system better.

I can also say the same with FM23's career, if Turn 10 structured the part unlock system to be tied to not each car, but maybe the brand or racing category; I bet that would've been recieved way better. The complaints are just down to a balancing issue really, which I believe both studios are easily capable of fixing. Turn 10 technically has fixed their issue and I think their economy system was pretty good outside the parts thing.
Hopefully we found some middle ground.
Depends if Polyphony Digital ever finds middle ground themselves.

Last edited:
My frustration with the "GT4 Was The Best Ever" trend that's going through this thread basically boils down to this:

It's fine to praise Gran Turismo 4 for what it did, but don't dare take into account what it didn't do.

For those who champion Gran Turismo 4, I have the following question:

Would you support that game if it were released - as is - today?

Or - and this is my guess - would you complain about the:
  • Graphics
  • Physics
  • Lack of livery editor
  • Lack of Online lobbies
  • Lack of updates
  • No custom races
  • No 2K/4K/VR/HDR/60FPS
  • Etc. . .

Gran Turismo 4 didn't have any way to add content, have true online competition, online multiplayer, livery editor and the like. PD could only put everything they had on the one disk you purchased and that was it. It was great for what it was, but Gran Turismo 7 is far better even if you only look at what a single player can do and experience.

• Number of races? Custom Races would like a word.
  • Ways to drive cars? Missions & Licenses would like a word as well.
  • Looking at your cars and taking pictures? Photomode is vastly improved and expanded.
By no means is the above a complete list.

The idea of the game being "over" once you finish menu book 39(?) makes the following statement: Rather than exploring all the single player options Gran Turismo 7 has to offer, you choose to complain that it does not pull you by the hand to explore other portions of the game.

It's a preference; there's nothing wrong with that.

However, to praise a game and ignore its shortcomings - no matter if it's Gran Turismo 7, Sport, 3 (A-spec) or whatever iteration it is - is a textbook case of nostalgia glasses in action.

Ok, I'll go back into my shed.

#GrumpyOldPlayer
It is evident that in all that you mention about Gran Turismo 7 it is better than Gran Turismo 4, but there is one thing, at least for me and for many that surpasses it, its Arcade mode

And I know that for some this is ridiculous but it is incredible the detail and care that was previously in that mode and that after four wonderful games they went from giving it love to treating it like a garbage mode

If Yamaychi added all the cars available on Custom Race Mode, believe me, many people would be quite happy

Because I'll say it again, a lot of people don't want to collect or buy a car worth 20 million credits, plus all the time it would take to have to spend for just one damn car.

Yamauchi must realize that the public has changed, he must stop the obsession of collecting cars and listen to his players.

If there are people who want to collect, let them do it, but let people choose what they want without PD putting up barriers.

Last edited:
It is evident that in all that you mention about Gran Turismo 7 it is better than Gran Turismo 4, but there is one thing, at least for me and for many that surpasses it, its Arcade mode

And I know that for some this is ridiculous but it is incredible the detail and care that was previously in that mode and that after four wonderful games they went from giving it love to treating it like a garbage mode

If Yamaychi added only all the available cars to the custom races, believe me, many people would be quite happy

Because I'll say it again, a lot of people don't want to collect or buy a car worth 20 million credits, plus all the time it would take to have to spend for just one damn car.

Yamauchi must realize that the public has changed, he must stop the obsession of collecting cars and listen to his players.

If there are people who want to collect, let them do it, but let people choose what they want without PD putting up barriers.
I remember wanting to drive an LMP car back on GT4 (there was a demo video using them), but none of them were available in Arcade mode by default.

So I had to win and sell about 15 Toyota RSC Rally Raid Cars to have 4.5 million credits, enough to buy a Pescarolo C60. After that I could use it in either mode.

That was kind of like the equivalent of the 20 million credit cars at the time, although LMP's now cost between 1 & 3 million.
Thankfully the credit cheat codes were found to make buying all the other race/rallycars easier. Plus the event gold cheat for cars you can't buy, but have to win.

So although GT4 had a lot of cars available in its Arcade mode by default, it didn't cover all bases nor have complete freedom of the car list, which from what you've said would be your ideal situation.

Side note. I then found out that the car can gain speed just by cornering, with no throttle input. I think it's something to do with how the downforce system worked back then, which wouldn't be noticable on most cars due to them not having high enough downforce. Bit of a weird one.

Last edited:
The gameplay of GT7 (physics, graphics and sounds) far outweighs any previous GT. The older games had much better structure, but they were never addictive for me like GT7 - thanks to its gameplay.

I will even argue that GT7 also has the best car list. Of course, there were so many cars in GT6 but it was quantity over quality with myriads of near duplicates and many very pixelated models. In GT7 the car modelling is superb across the board and there are hardly any fillers, except the semi-fictional Gr. cars from GT Sport.

Last edited:
The gameplay of GT7 (physics, graphics and sounds) far outweighs any previous GT. The older games had much better structure, but they were never addictive for me like GT7 - thanks to its gameplay.

I will even argue that GT7 also has the best car list. Of course, there were so many cars in GT6 but it was quantity over quality with myriads of near duplicates and many very pixelated models. In GT7 the car modelling is superb across the board and there are hardly any fillers, except the semi-fictional Gr. cars from GT Sport.
Just a few more events, full Sophy integration, more endurance races, improve the penalty system and add a B-Spec mode and it'll be the perfect definitive GT game.

Last edited:
Last weekend I went back to GT4 to do the Infineon endurance race, 2h 45m 117 laps. I liked the sense of accomplishment when doing those races. You don’t get that in custom races. Even if they added endurance races to GT7 they need to add a reason to do it besides credits, like a special edition car for example 🤷🏻‍♂️

Everyone will blame me, but I have to say this. Why is the event important? I think games like this should give different pleasure to all users. Because games like GT7 are accessory games, if your equipment is good, you are good too. That's why each user evaluates it separately.

Other Games:
View attachment 1369567

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GT7:
View attachment 1369568
I'm below lvl 1, I'm on the PS4 with controller and happy doing so...

and I am looking fwd to Saturday's announcement...

Last edited:
I’m not sure PD added Custom Racing to fix anything. The Weekly races were added. It’s like a reason it took so long to get a proper livery editor.
In GT5P, GT5 and GT6, we saw it as a mix of Racing Modification, Base Models and color chips.

I remember Kaz saying how amazed he was with players creativity with Liver Editor. Hence why, as pointed out by Famine in regards to sponsor licencing for race cars, we see less race cars and more cars that can be recreated into those versions. We even see PD do this for certain in game events.

It comes down to why why why?

Why not have the Practice Mode from GT4?
Why not have qualifying from the earlier GTs?
Why not have 24H races? 24h multiplier isn’t a fix.
Why not have course creator?
Why so few Championship races?
Why all the one and done races(which Kaz preempted before the Missions races)?
Why the lack of certain cars(regardless of the real life cars destroyed, switching hands of brands, etc.) when PD boasted of its manufacturer relationships? We can see relationships are strong with the VGT program.

There are long lists of whys in most complaint threads.

Should be a GT vs GT thread. :sly:

Last edited:
Question:
I'm not very good with remembering track-layouts. Is there maybe a list of layouts that are not part of any world circuit events. I have the feeling that PD delivered a lot of layouts but many are not really used a lot. I am thinking about creating a custom championship of underappreciated layouts.

Thank you!

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

The only reason why any of us go back to GT4 is the career mode. Take that away and it's rubbish compared to GT7. The core driving mechanics, the sounds and the graphics do not hold up, even if the presentation does. How can any of you sit here and complain about the game structure when everything else has improved? GT4 was a great game for the time but I can't bare going back to it now because it's OLD.

The only reason why any of us go back to GT4 is the career mode. Take that away and it's rubbish compared to GT7. The core driving mechanics, the sounds and the graphics do not hold up, even if the presentation does. How can any of you sit here and complain about the game structure when everything else has improved? GT4 was a great game for the time but I can't bare going back to it now because it's OLD.

As one of "us", I also go back to GT4 for the splitscreen, which is vastly superior to any GT that came after.

But I feel like this discussion has degraded to "do you still enjoy playing old games?"

As one of "us", I also go back to GT4 for the splitscreen, which is vastly superior to any GT that came after.

But I feel like this discussion has degraded to "do you still enjoy playing old games?"
It's OK to play old games but they do have their issues which most modern games have solved. Proclaiming that the old game is objectively "better", despite evidence pointing to the contrary, is silly.

Last edited:
Why drag races are just on missions and we do not have a real mode where we can do it or online against people. 🤣🤣 i mean, the list is quite long

Last edited:
I agree, whats holding back gt7 is the career mode, but i think it sad when people forget all the improvments the made to gt7,

1 The sounds is massivly better, and not only that upgrades changes how the cars sounds , not just exhaust but even other upgrades, in older gt games all sound changes was quite basic, in gt7 it works almost different for each car.
Putting exhaust changes visually as well.
Pd attention to detail is mindblowing

2 cars feel so much better to drive as well,
Rain physics is also the best its ever has been.

3 visuals is really good specially the car models is fantastic. They really step up their game and through out all the low quality car models. And vr experince is also very good. Sure not for everyone.

4 customize options is also the best it has been, regardless of the tuning shop or gt auto, for the first time we have been able to turbo charge the Honda nsx,

And this is the reason i always come to play gt7 more than any other gran turismo game, and what gets me excited when their is new car i am intrested in.

I agree, whats holding back gt7 is the career mode, but i think it sad when people forget all the improvments the made to gt7,

1 The sounds is massivly better, and not only that upgrades changes how the cars sounds , not just exhaust but even other upgrades, in older gt games all sound changes was quite basic, in gt7 it works almost different for each car.
Putting exhaust changes visually as well.
Pd attention to detail is mindblowing

2 cars feel so much better to drive as well,
Rain physics is also the best its ever has been.

3 visuals is really good specially the car models is fantastic. They really step up their game and through out all the low quality car models. And vr experince is also very good. Sure not for everyone.

4 customize options is also the best it has been, regardless of the tuning shop or gt auto, for the first time we have been able to turbo charge the Honda nsx,

And this is the reason i always come to play gt7 more than any other gran turismo game, and what gets me excited when their is new car i am intrested in.
No one is refuting those points. Criticizing one of the game's biggest shortcomings does not mean a lack of appreciation for its strengths. And why does one of the series core elements become worse over time when virtually everything else has improved? Even when we see flashes of its potential within the game already. Yet that's all we get; a small taste of what they could do, of what the game could be if they decided it so.

I love the game to death, but the career/campaign sucks. Simple as that. And the custom race feature has way too many holes to pick up the slack.

No one is refuting those points. Criticizing one of the game's biggest shortcomings does not mean a lack of appreciation for its strengths. And why does one of the series core elements become worse over time when virtually everything else has improved? Even when we see flashes of its potential within the game already. Yet that's all we get; a small taste of what they could do, of what the game could be if they decided it so.

I love the game to death, but the career/campaign sucks. Simple as that. And the custom race feature has way too many holes to pick up the slack.
I think that the next 2 big updates will sort this out to some extent or maybe fix it completely.. With Spec 2 they've already increased the number of events available plus the addition of the weekly challenges... Imagine what they could do with the next and next after... This game has still the potential to become the GOAT GT game

Last edited:
Back