Gran Turismo 7 PS5 Pro Update: 8K Graphics, Real-Time Ray-Tracing On Track

• Thread starter Famine
  • 310 comments
My 2 pence.
So the price of the PS5 Pro isnt a major issue, what is at issue is, what does the extra money for the PS5 Pro offers is my conundrum?

Some context, being a teenager when original GT came out in Japan, I started off with an import copy of GT from JP, from CEX of all places, when they were a cool place to hang out... so now decades on I am an "adult with a credit card", Fanatec DD GT Pro.... take my money.
I basically only had a PS4 Pro to play GT Sport, with a SSD upgrade, same price as the PS4 Pro back in the day, I did wait for the PS4 Pro to come out due to GT Sport taking so long to come out too, same with the PS5, immediately ordered a PS5 when GT7 was announced.
Back in the day, it would be more frame rate, laser scanned tracks, photo realistic game play, etc, the current PS5, provides all of that. I couldn't really tell the difference side by side of most of the games.
If Gran Turismo releases on PC, expect me to be spending gamer PC sums on a new PC..

My 2 pence.
So the price of the PS5 Pro isnt a major issue, what is at issue is, what does the extra money for the PS5 Pro offers is my conundrum?

Some context, being a teenager when original GT came out in Japan, I started off with an import copy of GT from JP, from CEX of all places, when they were a cool place to hang out... so now decades on I am an "adult with a credit card", Fanatec DD GT Pro.... take my money.
I basically only had a PS4 Pro to play GT Sport, with a SSD upgrade, same price as the PS4 Pro back in the day, I did wait for the PS4 Pro to come out due to GT Sport taking so long to come out too, same with the PS5, immediately ordered a PS5 when GT7 was announced.
Back in the day, it would be more frame rate, laser scanned tracks, photo realistic game play, etc, the current PS5, provides all of that. I couldn't really tell the difference side by side of most of the games.
If Gran Turismo releases on PC, expect me to be spending gamer PC sums on a new PC..
What about improved clarity in PSVR2? If there is an improvement.

Last edited:
The only thing that matters to me are GT7 improvements in PSVR2. Do we have any info on that?
Nope. I doubt we'll know anything until the community tests it out. As usual Sony and PD are completely ignoring the VR side of this game.

If Gran Turismo releases on PC, expect me to be spending gamer PC sums on a new PC.
As much as I'd love for this to happen, I doubt that it ever will. IMO PD would never put their game on a platform that is friendly to modification.

Last edited:
I feel like these Japanese companies are out of this world... Seems like they are completely out of touch with their "Users" (customers). And part of that is the problem. When you treat your customers like users (or slaves) then you forget that they may eventually not bother continue to purchase your stuff.

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 7 to Support “Experimental” 8K60 Mode on PlayStation 5 Pro

Polyphony Digital has confirmed that the free PlayStation 5 Pro Enhanced update for Gran Turismo 7 will bring with it “experimental” support for 8K60: 8K resolution at 60 frames per second...
At some point purchasers are going to have to demand ownership, options, and game-play over minutely useful gimmicks. Running at 120fps at 1440p (or 4K when I'm not in 100% "drive faster girl!" mode) already has far greater consistent performance and graphical fidelity than anything else out there. Try getting iRacing to never drop below 120fps and it looks atrocious in comparison, and still will have frame rate drop issues, forza, the car models from 15 years ago, mistakes a plenty, are a shameful disgrace and painful to watch, just marginally better than the gaps in the iRacing models, even AC and ACC depends on so many mods to even get remotely close in visuals and the performance is a fraction of GT7. While GT7 basically has ZERO load times, the rest seem to be competing based on cassette tape load time improvements. But hey if you're into misery and suffering wasting time as a way to show allegience to a cult, it gives plenty of time for "AllOtherGames*are*Worse prayer bead" head in the sand time.

What is the key takeway? Good programming focused for a single system will dramatically outperform extremely generic systems trying to work on countless combinations. GT7 being solely on PS5 is a huge benefit. It keeps it secure, dramatically reduces many cheating vectors and allows for massive performance in comparison to titles having to focus a huge portion of resources to get it to work on so many various situations. Plus it likely prevents the vocal complainer who's swiss cheese haptic gas pedal doesn't work, but has endless time to create so much noise with SEO optimized posts & interviews with every ytuber for klout that everyone will see endless noise about how bad TypicalPCRacingGame#32,768 is. ( See manufacturedFakeAccountsFanatecCoopDebacle )

When Gran Turismo includes what project gotham racing 1/2 and forza used to have with "Fun" online game modes like infected, cat and mouse, or Flood in BeamNG, and exceptional detailed stat tracking and spectation with unlimted automatic replays, they will see a return to the top of the podium, if not a uncontested world championship. What entices people to buy a title (which can be used to sell consoles..) to enjoy their free time? Well, fun! Do not create hassles and frustrations, allow players the ability to enjoy their time their way. This is simple and basic and fundemantal to all GAME (board, card, video, on a race or even golf course) design. Allow creators to create and share seemlessly on their terms-charge credits, or freely share or allow embedding for a proportioanal cut. Allow racers to create leagues with long term scoring, schedules, every event detailed and replays available for rewatching, heck sell advertising that is dynamically embedded along the race track or even cars and split it with the event organizers and racers. It's like there's already a proven model for this to simply follow form IRL.... 🤷‍♀️

Who would go out a get an 8K@60fps display or has one ? and why? 120 fps is far more important in sim racing than impercepible frames jsut to consume maximum 48Gbps display band width. Sim racers would much prefer better 32:9 or even triple screen support so it can be built over time instead of some small 32" $4000 monitor

All in all, glad to see GT7 getting highlighted even with gimmick propaganda to get attention, but it's not something relevant to more than 0.001% of the GT7 market, and that attention without something meaningful to the majority, often the quiet masses who don't have time to explain the obvious basics of what they are willing to put money out for, well seems to miss the apex significantly. Hopefully it won't end in carnage at the first corner, or be just resources refocused on a hedge.

tl;dr 8K@60 fps is insufficient for GT7 to help sell the PS5 Pro.

GT7 bit starts at 4:13. May just be my oldish phone, but I’m watching the side-by-side and I couldn’t tell you which was from the Pro if they weren’t labeled. F1 looks much better and improved with the Pro.

8:42 in this one

Last edited:
Nope. I doubt we'll know anything until the community tests it out. As usual Sony and PD are completely ignoring the VR side of this game.

As much as I'd love for this to happen, I doubt that it ever will. IMO PD would never put their game on a platform that is friendly to modification.

If sony handles psvr2 anywhere near close to how they handled pro still camera’s over the past decade they would rather wait a year or two with minimal effort. Then release a new one with the fixes and moderately upgraded hardware. Around the 4th iteration i could believe in it..

🤷‍♂️

I checked so none of the rest of you have to - there's no new car content leaks in either the IGN video or the one on Digital Foundry's own channel.

Back