Gran Turismo 7 Review: Return of the King

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 488 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I'm curious how they will include new tracks and cars when each update drops. Special events? One make races? Brand new cups?
Will we also get bspec, NASCAR and karting?

Are there special events and one make races at launch?

I was really looking forward to more detail on the controller feedback with ABS and Throttle. Did anyone come across a review that goes into that?

EDIT, Nevermind:

It's a revelation, frankly, and in tandem with Gran Turismo 7's outstanding visuals and 3D audio it makes for a driving sensation that's unparalleled on console. Here's a game that acquits itself well enough on a wheel - and on a DD it feels just fantastic, once you've dialled it in a bit - but also one that feels almost as rewarding when playing on a pad thanks to all that DualSense magic.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-03-02-gran-turismo-7s-dualsense-feedback-is-a-game-changer

Last edited:
They did say Sophy won't be available at launch.

View attachment 1119182
View attachment 1119183
How many more times are you going to spam those images? Having one or two events with standing starts isn't going to magically negate that the majority are catch the rabbit rolling starts. That one event isn't going to somehow make them more exciting is it?

And for the last time, Sophy is not going to entirely replace the entire AI.

Will we also get bspec, NASCAR and karting?

Are there special events and one make races at launch?
Would of thought karting would have its own cup surely, otherwise it's just a waste of resources. NASCAR could be back, but under the fictional Gran Turismo marque. I think B-spec will be lost to time - not been entirely fond of that mode.

I've not seen any special events and one make races in the streams as far as I know. The mission challenges does include Drifting missions and Drag racing.

After a somewhat forgettable Gran Turismo 6 and a rebellious Gran Turismo Sport, a lot of critics have claimed that despite strong sales, the series had lost its way, turning away from many of the founding principles that made it so popular in the first place...
Each version advanced the GT franchise in its own way. I wouldn't call any version "forgettable".

It's so frustrating to see how out of touch PD remain on key aspects like competitive AI and race structure. 14 years we've had these catch the rabbit challenge-mode style races where you start 30 seconds behind and fly past everyone until you run out of laps. I'm so tired of it.

Seeing the Sophy AI was very inspiring, but honestly I don't think we're close to having that type of AI in the game given all the work involved. I don't think we even know if there's the intention to use that AI in the actual campaign mode either.

Last edited:
So happy to see a decent track list and to hear that the customization options are beefed up compared to GTS. All I really care about is testing and tuning, so I fully expect to lose myself in this game for days. @Jordan , have you noticed if there are new aftermarket wheel options, or they all carried over from GTS?

Does anybody know if the PS4 Pro also has a Performance mode in 1080p as Sport? I dont want to miss out the 60fps replays and motion blur during gameplay as in GTSport.

The AI might be too easy for the hardcore , but 90% of the people who will play the game will be casuals like me.
I’m sure it’ll be challenging enough for us.
The hardcore have got online if they really want a challenge.
Win, win.
No, the win win would be having an AI setting to suit you and an AI setting to suit me. That's what every other game does.

The AI might be too easy for the hardcore , but 90% of the people who will play the game will be casuals like me.
Win, win.
Yeah, I don't get the AI obsession, either. I think PD agrees that anyone who's serious about racing will be doing it online. I've always felt like the offline races were just opportunities to earn credits and experience points.

I can’t imagine playing on a PS4 period without at least doing a SSD swap.

Doesn't make that much of a difference. The transfer speed is limited by the connection and the compression techniques.

Yeah, I don't get the AI obsession, either. I think PD agrees that anyone who's serious about racing will be doing it online. I've always felt like the offline races were just opportunities to earn credits and experience points.
My thing is after racing online with good people right here from GTP the AI will never be good enough for me period… just a tool I will use to get better for my online GTP leagues!

Yeah, I don't get the AI obsession, either. I think PD agrees that anyone who's serious about racing will be doing it online.

Does the stats that a vast majority of the players didn't even watch the intro video of Sport Mode in GTS need to be reposted?

Therefore, there is no excuse to fix the AI. None. Especially when the game has been advertised and focused almost entirely on single player up to release.

But as usual, buck passing all over the place.

Doesn't make that much of a difference. The transfer speed is limited by the connection and the compression techniques.
True, putting a SSD in a PS4 still won’t make it as fast as a PS5. I was speaking in general. Anything to mitigate close to a minute of loading times.

Win, win.
In my view there are 2 issues with the AI:
  • it drives badly, which hinders my driving
  • it is too slow in the hardest setting. Why can't I have a AI setting for decent drivers?

This makes the AI a dissatisfier. I can live with it because I like the the game anyways, but why not improve the AI?

Last edited:
I fundamentally think the AI deserves to be competitive to make a compelling single player campaign. Many racing games have done it in the past successfully as I'd never race online with all the rammers. I hope Sophy comes to PS4 version to and it's within 6 months and it boosts the campaign impact. Just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back