Gran Turismo 7 Review: Return of the King

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 488 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say if you do buy the game do give online a try because when it clicks it's fantastic.

Last time I gave Sport mode a go in GTS I came to the conclusion that it only really needed a couple of things to be tolerable. 1/ More Players. More players would give closer matching, rather than start on a grid with a spread of ability equating to about 5 seconds per lap, and the grid effectively getting strung out during the race. 2/ Shorter gap between races. Last time I played the time waiting to get into a race was longer than the race, it's just tedious. The rest was alright, and I will give it another go in GT7, but, at my skill level (think I'm DR C at the moment), the races just aren't that good. At least not good enough to make me want to put up the tedium of waiting, and the lack of options. I suspect GT7 will see an influx of rammers that probably gave up on GTS ages ago too.

What do you mean people aren't gonna like hearing it. You bring it as if its a fact, its just your opinion. Multiple reviews state is nothing like a GT Sport upgrade, it's much more.
Yeah no clue where some get this idea that’s the case lol.

What do you mean people aren't gonna like hearing it. You bring it as if its a fact, its just your opinion. Multiple reviews state is nothing like a GT Sport upgrade, it's much more.
Because the writing was pretty much on the wall months before release and people were in denial about it. Here we are a day before release and it's pretty much gt sport with a spec 2.0 update. It's definitely an improvement over gt sport but like I said it's not a giant leap from one gran turismo game to the next.

Some other reviews shared screenshots of the wheel setup screen and it looks like we still have to select from pre-defined wheel layout first, the same as in previous GT games. This is disappointing, considering that both Fanatec and Thrustmaster offer a lot more exchangeable wheels, setting functionalities will be very awkward or maybe not even possible in certain cases. I have two Fanatec wheels equipped with rotary encoders, which are pretty handy for ABS and TCS, fuel mapping, etc., but none of them can be used in GT Sport because the only Fanatec wheel layout was the CSL Elite wheel, which doesn't have any rotary encoder. In the screenshot I mentioned earlier the only other Fanatec wheel layout I saw was the GT DD Pro stock wheel, no rotary encoder on that as well.

No, the win win would be having an AI setting to suit you and an AI setting to suit me. That's what every other game does.
Won’t be long until Sophy is here to save the day.
As we’ve all already seen, she’s more than enough of a challenge.
Even for the best of the best.

Sigh. It's so frustrating that this has become the prevailing thought around the internet, everyone seems to have missed what they have planned for Sophy and GT7. Sophy will not be saving the day when it comes to the AI competitors in offline races. That is not planned and what is planned has no timeframe. It could be 2 months, it could be 18 months like the course maker in GT6.

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 16-22-33 Gran Turismo Sophy - Race Together Media Event [English] - Y...png

If we looked at where GT Sport was when it came out and where it is now with GT7 coming out soon, I'd say the game improved over time. Obviously it didn't cater to everyone but they made some headway with it. In that same mindset, the current GT7 should be a good base for for the future of the series. Surely there will be updates just like they did with GT Sport and the things that seem to annoy people/fans might be resolved.

On the note of the AI, like many players I was one to only stick with single player mode and racing the AI. However after GT Sport, I found a lot more excitement racing other people instead even though it can get very frustrating as well. I just hope the matching algorithm will be better and people are placed in lobbies where they can be competitive.

All in all, great review. I can't wait to play it myself this weekend!

In my view there are 2 issues with the AI:
  • it drives badly, which hinders my driving
  • it is too slow in the hardest setting. Why can't I have a AI setting for decent drivers?

This makes the AI a dissatisfier. I can live with it because I like the the game anyways, but why not improve the AI?
You’re part of the 10%
The other 90% of people find it challenging enough…
You do make a good point about them driving badly, the amount of races the AI has messed up for me, but REAL DRIVERS also do the same thing online.
I just feel like some people want everything to be perfect, from what I’ve seen & heard this game isn’t a 10.
But it seems to be a strong 9 & with sophy and other additions, it may be a 10 one day.
Comments in this thread make it sound like a 6/7.
It’s day 1 state looks amazing, even digital foundry said there wasn’t any glitches.
Which is very rare for a next gen title.

If general outlets are finding problems with the AI being generally slow, having no race craft or sense of their surroundings, then it's bad AI. Full stop. No amount of sugar coating it by saying 'oh, well the rest of the game's player base finds it challenging!' is going to take away from that simple fact.

You’re part of the 10%
You do make a good point about them driving badly, the amount of races the AI has messed up for me, but REAL DRIVERS also do the same thing online.
I just feel like some people want everything to be perfect, from what I’ve seen & heard this game isn’t a 10.
But it seems to be a strong 9 & with sophy and other additions, it may be a 10 one day.
Comments in this thread make it sound like a 6/7.
It’s day 1 state looks amazing, even digital foundry said there wasn’t any glitches.
Which is very rare for a next gen title.
yep agreed here, even when the AI brakes in a corner def can have less skilled people do the same thing lol. And yeah it looks overall like a super solid release and im excited for the future of GT with this as the new baseline for the series.

If general outlets are finding problems with the AI being generally slow, having no race craft or sense of their surroundings, then it's bad AI. Full stop. No amount of sugar coating it by saying 'oh, well the rest of the game's player base finds it challenging!' is going to take away from that simple fact.
Depends on what kind of races they did and how they race. Even Super-GT had to race for victories.

A few reviewers said this and I watched the "accidental-recipient" streams every day for many hours and saw no glitch whatsoever.

OTOH, I spent 4 hours trying to play ACC the other night on a borrowed PC. Couldn't get a single race completed due to wheel disconnections and game freezes, and that's the PC version after the latest update, not to mention the dog's breakfast that the Feb 24 ACC PS5 debut was bug-wise.

PD is all-class and always has been, which is one of the reasons I've loyally supported the company since the '90s.

Last edited:
This isn’t happening! You can’t just swap out the AI. The whole single player is built around the AI that’s in the game so that would have to be rebuilt too. It’ll be a race Sophy challenge or something and that’s it. I don’t understand why everyone thinks Sophy will just be wholesale plonked into a game that’s been years in the making.

@Jordan thanks for the review. Great article.

After reading it, one of the new features I really want to test out is the 3D audio. From your description it's surround sound on steroids which has me champing at the bit to pick up the new Pulse Headset now.

Last edited:
Pre-ordered the game regardless of the slow AI which will diminish the racing experience for sure, but so far I like what I am hearing and seeing.
Managed to secure a PS5 as supposesly it will come in stores this week and immediately did a downpayment on it XD.

But so far my interest are not only graphics which looks insane, it's mostly the experience and from what I am hearing I am liking. An overall 8/10 is my harsh score. Would have been a solid 10 if the AI was somewhat challenging but allas it's not so its dissapointing to hear.
Considering when I play the game myself the score I gave will change, depending on Physics, Sound (accuracy) and online experience.

For me sound matters the most especially when adding upgrades so its pleasing to hear @Jordan speaking of these atmospheric sounds and a slight bump to the engine tone and mechanicall sounds.

My biggest question will be how much does the sound indeed changes when adding upgrades or tuned parts to it and how accurate it sounds compared to it's real life counterpart.

But nontheless an interesting read and solid review score.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
i could seen during a live gameplay on twitch that the feature „start up sound when chossing a car in garage“ has gone.
Can you confirm that @Jordan ?
It would be a pitty if this is true…
I loved the start up sounds.

Last edited:
Depends on what kind of races they did and how they race. Even Super-GT had to race for victories
He didn't though, did he? What he actually had to do was hotlap fast enough and upgrade his car enough so that he could catch up to the lead car that started miles ahead of him before the laps ran out.

That isn't good AI and it certainly isn't good racing, that's just putting the lead car so far ahead that you can't catch up before you run out of laps. You could do that having the cars drive around at 20mph if you put them far enough ahead.

What he didn't do is have some battles with the AI over several corners because you can't afford to do that, you have to pass AI cars instantly if you want to catch up in time.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting that much brutal honesty about the A.I. and campaign mode considering GTP's pretty close relationship with PD.
Well, ultimately we're a media outlet, and that means that however well we get on with people (or not) we can't let personal feelings into... pretty much anything we do on that part of the site. Our opinions are never dishonestly held - but they're also not the only possible opinions.
But, I don't think 4.5/5 stars reflects what you said about such a big part of the game; 4/5 seems more fitting.
So, from my point of view it's like this...

The AI is cack. It's no more cack than we've come to expect from GT5, GT6, and GT Sport, but it is not particularly pleasant to drive against. The AI cars brake too hard (just watch the AI cars pitching forward on the brakes like a galleon) and too early, dawdle through corners, and get late on the power, and it will seemingly attempt to take its line no matter what - which often means you are trying to guess where it's going next to avoid it as you close at +20mph.

And it accordions, rather than rubber-banding. If you're not near the rabbit, it's not rabbiting. Get close enough and it absolutely ****s off. Get past and it glues itself to you and will rocket past on a straight. Lather rinse repeat. You can get past 90% of the field with a 100PP deficit, but the guy at the front hates you and everything you stand for.

However... ultimately you are only really required to finish in the top three of any given race - which anyone can do - and after Menu Book 9 (which is 12 races) you don't ever need to race the AI ever again. Almost everything is unlocked at that point, with the exception of Brighton Antiques, Mission Hall and about half the tracks for AI races (and Circuit Experience; you will need to do more AI races if you want to unlock all the Circuit Experiences).

Close out Menu Book 9 and you've got everything else, including all the myriad options in online multiplayer (which is again the single most expansive offering on console, and appears to have an entirely new addition in Sport Mode; it's really only missing jump-in unranked races and seasonal events, though seasonals are apparently coming), all the cars (there may be a caveat on that to do with Collector Level, I don't know yet), all the car customisation, livery editor, etc.

For me all the extra stuff over GT Sport is close to awesome - the options for car customisation alone looks to rival games that focus entirely on it, and I haven't even scratched the surface yet. Yeah, the crappy AI really does take the shine off it, but you don't need to deal with it for long and it doesn't take 20% of the score (one star) off it; the minimum we can dock is 10% (half a star), so... that's the verdict.

Now of course your point of view might differ, and that's fine too :D

Last edited:
@whoeverknows (@Jordan, @Famine ), the ballast positioning in the tuning menu. Did you play with it? Did it make a noticeable difference?

Last edited:
@Jordan thanks for the review. Great article.

After reading it, one of the new features I really want to test out is the 3D. From your description is surround sound on steroids which has me chomping at the bit to pick up the new Pulse Headset now.
Bro I can’t wait because on GTS they make the game a lot better! I have a decent surround sound q series from Samsung and while i use to think it was great I don’t like using it anymore… the headphones make it feel as you are in the car… and no cap 🧢 it’s makes you a better driver.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back