Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.36 Now Available: Adds Four Cars Including GR Corolla

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,229 comments

What's your favorite car in 1.36 (by any criteria you wish)?

• Chevrolet Corvette C1 '58

Votes: 50 20.1%
  • Maserati MC20 '20

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Toyota GR Corolla Morizo '22

Votes: 33 13.3%
  • Toyota Himedic Ambulance '21

Votes: 72 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
WIENERS WIERNERS WIENERS PUT EM IN YOUR MOUTH
store update GIF

Like yeah I like my track machinery as much as the next person but also the oddball choices allow a game to stand out in a market.

store update GIF

Like yeah I like my track machinery as much as the next person but also the oddball choices allow a game to stand out in a market.
Funny enough in regards to track machinery. There was a time when the 24 hours of LeMons was a thing, and people got real creative when it came to turning oddballs into track machinery.

And this will forever be one of the all time bangers.

30-Sick-Gut-Taurus-SHO-powered-Geo-Metro-at-24-Hours-of-LeMons-Chicago-626x426.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still waiting to receive my ambulance, but I find the mixed reception to it very interesting.

On one hand, the GT series always had its fair share of oddball cars. I'd even argue that they are an integral part of the soul of GT. I'm looking forward to trying out the ambulance for the first time, but I doubt I'll drive it for more than 10km before it goes back into the garage to collect dust, not unlike an Aston Martin Valkyrie or an AMG GT3 '20.

While oddball cars have always had a place in GT, I think that as the games strive more and more towards realism, they've lost the feel of a fun game to play. The vast majority of in–game races task the players to enter an obscenely overpowered car to overcome a 45 second deficit to the race leader within 5 laps or so, which pigeon holes players into choosing the select few "good" cars to win. Hitting the unpredictable AI cars loses a third of the race winnings, and hitting walls results in a 5 second penalty on top of the slowdown from hitting said wall, all while incurring damage. It deeply deincentivises fooling around and experimentation, and demands perfection from its players. Such a gameplay style is at a total tonal clash with having a playable ambulance, and that's even before we consider the fact that it's only eligible for one–make races in custom races, and gosh knows how many World Circuits events it can actually enter, let alone be viable in.

Back in the earlier GT titles, races were a closely contested standing start, and skilled players could choose off kilter picks to challenge themselves. Mistakes like hitting the AI cars or walls weren't punished at all. There was less consequence for suboptimal play, and therefore there was less funneling players into a competitive car. There was more room to experiment, play, and fool around. Winning a late–game race populated by high powered tuning monsters or bona fide racecars with a car that one could see on the street frequently was a trophy worth more than anything the developers could've ever given a player.

Unfortunately, I seriously doubt this is possible with an ambulance.

This problem's extent doesn't just stop at oddball cars; it also encompasses the racecars people clamour for to be added in updates. As we've seen with the Skyline Super Silhouette and GR010, cars that aren't the quickest in Time Attack leaderboards are immediately ignored and forgotten, not unlike a HiMedic. Brands with multiple cars to represent them in Gr.3, such as Toyota and BMW, all have a single, undisputed fastest car, instead of cars with balanced strengths and weaknesses. In previous Gran Turismo games, winning a Castrol Supra was a big, joyous occasion that opened up so many different races with bigger rewards in the campaign. Seeing a Castrol Supra in my garage in GT7 makes me think, "eww, slow." Having an Escudo made me feel like an invincible king in GT2; having an Escudo in GT7 just makes me think, "urgh, I can't do ANYTHING with this!"

I don't have much time in a day to play GT7, if at all, and when I do get the chance to sit down in my rig, half an hour of playtime goes into one of the "big four" grind events, simply because cars are so expensive in GT7. And when I play a grind race, guess what kind of car I want for the chore. I'd obviously want the fastest car that can get the event over and done with the quickest.

Ultimately, any car that gets added into the game feels completely inconsequential unless it happens to be a personal favourite, because the game doesn't incentivise the use of a good 90% of its car list. I think the root cause of the "what am I supposed to do with X car?" and "Who asked for Y car?" comments stem from the game simply not being a very fun game.

Ultimately, any car that gets added into the game feels completely inconsequential unless it happens to be a personal favourite, because the game doesn't incentivise the use of a good 90% of its car list. I think the root cause of the "what am I supposed to do with X car?" and "Who asked for Y car?" comments stem from the game simply not being a very fun game.
I was glad to see a corvette challenge (forget which track it was) but yeah, one race, first place and done. I wish they’d let us share custom races. I’m sure a lot of people, myself included, would work at creating a fun custom race, you could tweak it and the cars to make it very close. Only you’d need to be able to have the person that downloaded the custom race use the specific car and your tune. I may or may not share races publicly but I’d definitely share them with friends. At least that would round out events you can enter certain cars in.

I gave up on the big three, I just can’t take it anymore. I never did really grind them either. Since getting my new rig built, I’m just trying to enjoy racing whatever race I find, mostly historic which is pretty limited to be honest. They need more challenges and being able to share a custom race with friends would round that out a lot.

If you want oddballs, and I do too, why not the Ariel Atom, or Caterham?
Except the very definition of "oddballs" is something not explicitly made for track racing in the first place. Peugeot 806? Volvo 850? THOSE are oddballs, because most in the 90s did not look at either model and thought "Oh yeah, THATS a race winner right there" Search through Motorsports history and you will find alot of oddballs peppered throughout it. I wouldn't count the 24 Hours of Lemons because, at least from what I have seen, thats kinda the whole point IS to bring something as unsuited to racing as possible (Bonus points for bringing your best motorsports parodies)

Last edited:
Except the very definition of "oddballs" is something not explicitly made for track racing in the first place. Peugeot 806? Volvo 850? THOSE are oddballs, because most in the 90s did not look at either model and thought "Oh yeah, THATS a race winner right there" Search through Motorsports history and you will find alot of oddballs peppered throughout it. I wouldn't count the 24 Hours of Lemons because, at least from what I have seen, thats kinda the whole point IS to bring something as unsuited to racings as possible (Bonus points for bringing your best motorsports parodies)
The Atom is made for the street, with 4 inches of clearance, and enough drag to rival the ambulance. Ariel made one make racing versions, but they mostly had safety improvements like reinforced pedal box and better roll over protection. The Caterham is even more of a street car. But I get that they can be great weekend track day toys.

Dajiban is Japanese Ram van racing. Does that make RAM vans racecars then?
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/images/roa100118fea-dajiban-02-1536810532.jpg?resize=1200:*

I guess one can’t complain about it when there’s already a ton of vehicles in the game. I compare it to call of duty. Used to be war, camo and black guns. Now it’s morphed into lasers, smoke, bunny suits or any kind of costume, dance moves and micro transactions.

Gameplay is great, the “meme” type stuff as somebody mentioned not so great. Take you out of it when a white rabbit jumps around a corner and kills you with purple lasers and then an image of smoke apppears. At the end of the day, I don’t have to drive or buy the ambulance. I am waiting for new tracks though. No complaints on any track unless it’s an oval. Lol

I played with the lights and vocal warnings, but haven’t driven it. It’ll be nearly fourty Toyotas to date(I guess a bit more if we add the Super Formula cars).

The Atom is made for the street, with 4 inches of clearance, and enough drag to rival the ambulance. Ariel made one make racing versions, but they mostly had safety improvements like reinforced pedal box and better roll over protection. The Caterham is even more of a street car. But I get that they can be great weekend track day toys.

Dajiban is Japanese Ram van racing. Does that make RAM vans racecars then?
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/images/roa100118fea-dajiban-02-1536810532.jpg?resize=1200:*
While it is a street car, its not quite in the same sense as for example a stock base model Ford Focus. Its very much a driver centric car, much like the Lotus 7 based Caterham is. By that definition, they aren't really oddball cars. Obscure to those in the mainstream yes but they are what one would expect to see on track, something not typically expected of a Honda Odyssey , nevermind it going up Pikes Peak.

As far as those ram Vans, that is exactly what I am talking about: Vehicles not explicitly made for racing in the first place. So that series is essentially a series featuring an oddball (I mean, name any other serious series where a Ram van shows up. Guarantee more people are gonna remember it as the family vehicle more then a Track monster).

Last edited:
I guess one can’t complain about it when there’s already a ton of vehicles in the game. I compare it to call of duty. Used to be war, camo and black guns. Now it’s morphed into lasers, smoke, bunny suits or any kind of costume, dance moves and micro transactions.

Gameplay is great, the “meme” type stuff as somebody mentioned not so great. Take you out of it when a white rabbit jumps around a corner and kills you with purple lasers and then an image of smoke apppears. At the end of the day, I don’t have to drive or buy the ambulance. I am waiting for new tracks though. No complaints on any track unless it’s an oval. Lol
Yet the Northern Isle Speedway is critically under used. They should chuck some muscle cars on there or something for an event.

Yet the Northern Isle Speedway is critically under used. They should chuck some muscle cars on there or something for an event.
PD overused many tracks in sport and just forgot about them in 7. I swear they had a huge hard on for kyoto and now it's underutilized just like Norther Isle . Northern isle is a great track because it has nuance. You can't keep the best line forever because it makes it so easy for the rear car to draft and when you start lapping you have to risk it outside the fastest path or get slowed down. Gr3 was FUN on that track .

While oddball cars have always had a place in GT, I think that as the games strive more and more towards realism, they've lost the feel of a fun game to play.
Over the years Gran Turismo has gotten progressively worse as a “game”, but the driving in GT7 is better than it was in any previous installment. I’d say realism can be fun and feel good when the simulation is done right. GT7 nails this, in my opinion. For example, driving a Porsche 911 Carrera RS is fun in GT7 because that’s what the real car is. Driving a Toyota Himedic is not so fun, unless one has some kind of thing for its weirdness. For some reason the latter appears to be true for many here. I’m not judging, but if you get more fun out of a heavy van than you do from a lightweight sportscar, then I am somewhat sorry for you.
The vast majority of in–game races task the players to enter an obscenely overpowered car to overcome a 45 second deficit to the race leader within 5 laps or so, which pigeon holes players into choosing the select few "good" cars to win.
You are correct about the poor format, but I find that most events can be won with cars that sit well below the recommeded PP level. Cars do not need to be overpowered, because the AI is just that slow (even on highest difficulty setting).
It’s true that the game does not openly inspire players to explore the possibilities, leaving the rightful impression of a boring game. However, there is fun to be had because many cars actually are eligible and competitive in a wide variety of events. It’s a “find your own fun” recipe, but it requires that players also allow themselves not to be bothered by the low event payouts relative to the more grind-friendly events. Besides, who cares if you win every event entered? Sometimes I finish second or third because the car wasn’t good enough, but I still had fun trying to win, which in turn inspires experimentation with tuning and upgrades. People need to free themselves from the desire to maximize credits income at all times, and just find enjoyment in the sandbox with all its shortcomings and imperfections. That’s how I play the game and for me that’s the essence of Gran Turismo, which might explain why I don’t need an ambulance in order to revitalize my game.

Last edited:
Come next month when my Porsche 917K comes back up (still kicking myself for not doing just one lap on the Porsche Americas TT that would have netted me that car for free), my dream garage is more or less complete. Not that I really grind anyways, but I definitely won’t be going anymore after that. Just my favorite IG races like the Spa 1hr and the NBG 800pp…. But I’ll be focusing on custom grids that utilize all my cars, and all of GT7’s capabilities. I’m looking forward to it.

Took me what…. 18 months of very, very, VERY mild grinding to acquire my dream garage? I’m ok with that. Would have been done much sooner had I not purchased 3 copies of pretty much all UCD cars, and 2-3 of most of my favorite LCD cars.

The weekly TT’s as well as some Circuit Experiences that have been purposely left undone, should be able to pay for any monthly update cars that might tickle my fancy.

Last edited:
People need to free themselves from the desire to maximize credits income at all times, and just find enjoyment in the sandbox with all its shortcomings and imperfections.
Would be a lot easier to free ourselves from the shackles of capitalism and seize the means of enjoyment if the cost for just one of each car in the game didn't add up to almost 500M credits. :lol:

Come next month when my Porsche 917K comes back up (still kicking myself for not doing just one lap on the Porsche Americas TT that would have netted me that car for free), my dream garage is more or less complete. Not that I really grind anyways, but I definitely won’t be going anymore after that. Just my favorite IG races like the Spa 1hr and the NBG 800pp…. But I’ll be focusing on custom grids that utilize all my cars, and all of GT7’s capabilities. I’m looking forward to it.

Took me what…. 18 months of very, very, VERY mild grinding to acquire my dream garage? I’m ok with that. Would have been done much sooner had I not purchased 3 copies of pretty much all UCD cars, and most of my favorite LCD cars.

The weekly TT’s as well as some Circuit Experiences that have been purposely left undone, should be able to pay for any monthly update cars that might tickle my fancy.
Man it’s sucks you missed that car.. That was a big help for me and saved a lot of money for me. I would definitely make sure you do the TT.. that got my money up for me fast. Granted I don’t get gold every time.. majority silver but that’s still 4mill a month or 8mill if you can get gold.

Last edited:
For example, driving a Porsche 911 Carrera RS is fun in GT7 because that’s what the real car is. Driving a Toyota Himedic is not so fun, unless one has some kind of thing for its weirdness.
The 901 Carrera RS? Ahh, I see you are a man of culture as well :)

I find that context and contrast is one of the biggest benefits of a game that encompasses road cars of all ilk. A R34 GT-R would still be mightily impressive on the public roads with its acceleration, but I've never had that sense of, "oh wow!" from accelerating in a GT game before, short of a LMP1 or something like a VW ID.R. Having cars like a Prius, a HiMedic, or a Demio helps put into perspective what a "normal" level of performance looks and feels like, so that the sports cars and supercars can truly shine with that contrast. In that sense, I welcome the HiMedic. I just wish I can find more use for it (and many other cars) in the campaign.

I find that most events can be won with cars that sit well below the recommeded PP level. Cars do not need to be overpowered, because the AI is just that slow (even on highest difficulty setting).
You're clearly more skilled than me, then. On Hard difficulty, I struggle to win events like the Gr.1 race at Daytona, and I need meta tunes like the Escudo for the Neo Classical races. A good race for my level I find is the Japanese 550PP Clubman event at Grand Valley South in a bone stock RX-7 Spirit R. I get really close to winning it sometimes and win it others. For me, I do need somewhat optimised and meta cars to win, hence why I feel a lot of the cars in the game aren't of much use to me.

I would love to see what you can do with the HiMedic, if you don't mind trying to find some fun in the sandbox :)

It’s a “find your own fun” recipe (...) People need to free themselves from the desire to maximize credits income at all times, and just find enjoyment in the sandbox with all its shortcomings and imperfections.
I agree. It's been this way for me since GT5. The problem is that, to be able to afford to have the full sandbox, a lot of grinding is a sad necessity, what with exorbitant prices in the LCD, and semi–permanent mods to cars that incentivise buying multiple copies of a car, which naturally funnels players into that grindy mindset, myself included.

Man I can't wait to drive that mc20

I updated it as soon as it came out ... but had no money to buy the car.

It's not even expensive...

But there isn't a single race that interests me enough to even try .
Shame when I have the wheel peddles n vr all set up .
So just sat playing other games thinking maybe next month... Next month they will add a new race to grind because am all grinded out .
It's very very sad that the simplest of fixs and they just never do it.

Just add more races that pay as well as the top three

It's so not hard

Back