Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.36 Now Available: Adds Four Cars Including GR Corolla

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,229 comments

What's your favorite car in 1.36 (by any criteria you wish)?

• Chevrolet Corvette C1 '58

Votes: 50 20.1%
  • Maserati MC20 '20

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Toyota GR Corolla Morizo '22

Votes: 33 13.3%
  • Toyota Himedic Ambulance '21

Votes: 72 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've been playing Gran Turismo since its first edition, when I was still a kid. The segment of the game that I like the most are street cars, where I particularly find it cool to tune them and compare their performance by creating custom races. I miss some cars, such as: Honda Prelude, Accord and CRX; Nissan Pulsar, Cefiro, Sentra and R390; Mitsubishi Eclipse and FTO; Subaru Legacy; a Toyota Sedan (Soarer, Chaser, Mark, Aristo or Century), Altezza, plus a few Celica models; Mazda Familia; Audi RS 4, A3 and A4; Mercedes-Benz 190; Volkswagen Nardo and Jetta; Opel/Vauxhall Astra; Bugatti EB110; TVR Cerbera and Griffith; Peugeot 206 and 307.
So I liked the inclusion of Corolla Yaris, Maserati MC20 and Corvette. But the ambulance... honestly, is there anyone who uses that?

Last edited:
It wouldn’t be Gran Turismo without something Japanese like a GR Corolla. This game wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for road cars with performance pedigree.
Younger me would like you to point out where the performance potential was for the Mazda Demio that I kept failing the license test in :lol:
So in other words we get a Corvette and three irrelevant cars, nothing more. No classics, no races, just some trash. Polyphony really wants to fail.
So a recent Maserati model (something people complained about with PD's line up) AND one of the most popular GR models from Toyota right now is "irrelevant".

1690768118628.png

This is based on a real car, though.

View attachment 1276363
Except the Ford GT LM Race Car Spec II is from 2004 (Whereas what you posted is from 2008) and is originally based on the Ford GT Concept from 2002.

Its competitors would be the DBR9 and the Chevrolet Corvette C5.R.

C5.R was featured in past GT Games. The competitors would be there apart from the C5.R which will most lilely have to be scanned again as it was a standard car.
So basically, the same silly situation from iRacing where people literally had only 2 GT1 cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who never played Maximum Tune, the Hiace is an absolute legend of a troll car :lol: Can't wait to race this against the Alphard at Tokyo.

Gran Turismo has always been about weird cars. I'll take the Hiace over a new GT3 car that will probably just end up being forgotten after one week cos it's not the meta (AMG 2020 I'm looking at you). While we are at it, why not add other legendary vans like the Transit Supervan 1-4, Renault Espace F1, Peugeot 806 Procar, Hyundai iMax N drift bus. We are also missing wagons (Legacy, Stagea, Caldina, RS6 Avant, M3 Touring) and super SUVs (Purosangue, Urus, Cayenne, DBX 707, Jeep Trackhawk). Also pickup trucks to add to the aging F150 and Tundra lineup (Daihatsu Midget anyone?). If I want to drive a 296 GT3 I'll just get ACC with much better physics that actually drives like the real thing.

Love the MC20, one of the prettiest new supercars in recent years. Definitely did not expect them to add this so soon. MC12 next PD?

The C1 Corvette, I wonder if it's the stock version or the Art Morrison SEMA winner?

GR Corolla, not a surprise addition but looking forward to finally driving it in the GR Cup. I just wish it's added to Brand Central straightaway instead of having to wait another month to buy a copy.

New track would be nice but as always it's better to keep expectations low and not be disappointed.

GT7 may be boring but I can't deny I always get excited for these updates, even though the new content is only a few hours at best. I download 10-20 new mods for Assetto every week but GT content just feels that little extra bit special. It's gonna be a loooong week :lol:

Personally I think this is one of the best car selections we’ve gotten to date, rivaling the Chiron update, even with the ambulance.

I’ve been hoping for an up-to-date model of the 1st gen Corvette for a quite a while, not just the SEMA build from GT5. Truly one of the OG halo cars of the American auto industry and is still going strong. It’ll be great to see what can be done to it in GT Auto. This might be the first car that’s actively made me bummed that I still haven’t scooped up a PS5 to get back into GT7 for.

The MC20 is a (seemingly) rare modern supercar addition, and should tick a lot of boxes for a large amount of players constantly asking for supercars and/or modern vehicles. Personally I don’t get much out of supercars except for the few I consider to be my “dream cars”, most of my “Gran Turismo experience” is spent upgrading and tuning slow cars to race against things they have no business racing against.

The GR Corolla was inevitable but it’s also incredibly desirable, an extremely in-demand modern sportscar in the real world and very relevant car for GT in its current state. A bit more power that the Yaris and the successor to the GTFOUR/Alltracs that the NA market can finally experience again. Also a brand new car, so that should be ticking boxes too.

While the medic HiAce is clearly controversial it’s absolutely right up my alley. The thing I love most about Gran Turismo is the ability to take completely normal or quirky street cars and throw them into a sandbox on a race track. An ambulance is the most goofy thing in this regard and I love it. VGT’s have lacked for me due to their lack of customization and modability, and this weird, non-sporty content while obscure and not tailored for racing is at least substantially more useful and fun within the GT sandbox than anything in the VGT program can ever be.

Also, having seen an older J-van medic unit IRL, they’re incredibly cool, even if not performance-oriented. I’ve actually wanted something like a Delica Starwagon L300 and/or Hi/TownAce for a while since it’s a type of car with great potential variance in modifications/personal expression that’s never been represented in Gran Turismo.

799EBC5A-6E1A-4B7D-9467-ED7C4982BEAD.jpeg

82376ABB-8A23-47A9-B9F5-76245426B240.jpeg

The car I care about the least in this update is the Maserati, and that would probably make me the weirdo in the average GT update wishlist thread. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the only thing that’s been sorely missing from a solid car update is some Group 1/3/4 that helps modernize the options from each brand. A substantial majority of the options in those classes are models or platforms that are 7-15 years out of date, regardless of real or fictional models.

The ambulance is based on the Toyota Hiace, a van that's used as a taxi here in Australia. I'm very familiar with it as I've ridden in one literally hundreds of times, most journeys being to and from university in 2019. A pleasant surprise, then. The MC-20 is a much needed addition that I've seen coming for quite a while, even before the Giulia GTAm showed up. Hopefully the Corvette is the "Barbie" version with the 2 circular headlamps instead of 4 like the one I've been driving in Forza Motorsport 4. The GR Corolla was obvious due to PD's partnership with Toyota. Nothing to complain about here.

After looking for info about the ambulance, I found a youtube review and apparently it has the same V8 engine as the Lexus LS400 and cost 250,000 dollars and only goverments can buy it

I've been playing Gran Turismo since its first edition, when I was still a kid. The segment of the game that I like the most are street cars, where I particularly find it cool to tune them and compare their performance by creating custom races. I miss some cars, such as: Honda Prelude, Accord and CRX; Nissan Pulsar, Cefiro, Sentra and R390; Mitsubishi Eclipse and FTO; Subaru Legacy; a Toyota Sedan (Soarer, Chaser, Mark, Aristo or Century), Altezza, plus a few Celica models; Mazda Familia; Audi RS 4, A3 and A4; Mercedes-Benz 190; Volkswagen Nardo and Jetta; Opel/Vauxhall Astra; Bugatti EB110; TVR Cerbera and Griffith; Peugeot 206 and 307.
So I liked the inclusion of Corolla Yaris, Maserati MC20 and Corvette. But the ambulance... honestly, is there anyone who uses that?

If it's a 4WD, I'd be happy to turn it into a drift car, like the Alphard, and it'd be pretty fun to reskin it.

This update, much like any other updates, is drip feed content which either should have been in at launch or released in a much bigger update catering for all.

New track? Nope. New championships for existing cars? Nope. New AI balancing? Not likely.

The problem with four cars, or three cars, or five cars, is what actual value do they add to the game? Livery editing is one, and for those cartists, great. For many others, it is use of the car that matters most.

If we wind the clock back to GT4 there were multiple special cars of extremely limited use such as the Ford Model T, Nike One and Toyota Triathlon. So including the ambulance in and of itself, is not the problem. The problem is that too much of the car list have the same fate. Outside of custom races or online lobbies - which can fail at any time due to host departure - what can you do with them?

Enter a drivetrain championship? Nope. Try your hand at an endurance race challenge? Nope. Err... Scape? Yes, you can do that.

This is GT7 and the big issue. If you are not an online racer (given the above mentioned lobby cut out, lack of consequence for dirty driving, it's not difficult to comprehend why) then what do you do? Some will point to custom races.

Problem there is a) poor payout, b) poor AI, c) poor balancing and d) pure expectation for the player to do the work for PD

GT4, often regarded as the greatest single player experience (highly debatable) had a custom race feature. However, it didn't need to rely on it. Many players likely never used it, why? GT world championship, endurance races, single manufacturer races, like the wind, Polyphony Digital Cup, Sunday League, MR drivetrain, 1000 Miles, DTM, All Stars... Oh, they're championships!

So, PD, instead of focusing on multiple cars for updates. Why not add multiple championships? And bring back prize cars while you're at it, give an incentive for people to actually DRIVE the cars.

Last edited:
I will say though, while I've personally really liked the car choices in the last couple of updates, I do get why people who prefer racing cars would be annoyed. The last time we got one was in back in April, so that is a fairly long gap to be fair.

But that's how it goes with broad spectrum car rosters I guess, there's so many niches to appeal to that everyone's going to have a fallow period at some point.

This update, much like any other updates, is drip feed content which either should have been in at launch or released in a much bigger update catering for all.

New track? Nope. New championships for existing cars? Nope. New AI balancing? Not likely.

The problem with four cars, or three cars, or five cars, is what actual value do they add to the game? Livery editing is one, and for those cartists, great. For many others, it is use of the car that matters most.

If we wind the clock back to GT4 there were multiple special cars of extremely limited use such as the Ford Model T, Nike One and Toyota Triathlon. So including the ambulance in and of itself, is not the problem. The problem is that too much of the car list have the same fate. Outside of custom races or online lobbies - which can fail at any time due to host departure - what can you do with them?

Enter a drivetrain championship? Nope. Try your hand at an endurance race challenge? Nope. Err... Scape? Yes, you can do that.

This is GT7 and the big issue. If you are not an online racer (given the above mentioned lobby cut out, lack of consequence for dirty driving, it's not difficult to comprehend why) then what do you do? Some will point to custom races.

Problem there is a) poor payout, b) poor AI, c) poor balancing and d) pure expectation for the player to do the work for PD

GT4, often regarded as the greatest single player experience (highly debatable) had a custom race feature. However, it didn't need to rely on it. Many players likely never used it, why? GT world championship, endurance races, single manufacturer races, like the wind, Polyphony Digital Cup, Sunday League, MR drivetrain, 1000 Miles, DTM, All Stars... Oh, they're championships!

So, PD, instead of focusing on multiple cars for updates. Why not add multiple championships? And bring back prize cars while you're at it, give an incentive for people to actually DRIVE the cars.
You'll probably turn out to be correct but as is pointed out every month, the car silhouette teaser is just that, a car silhouette teaser, not patch notes or details on the full update. We may still get a.new track and more SP content, we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Sigh... this again, Well for starters how on earth do you know its drip feed? did you know that a Maserati MC20 was going to be in the game since launch??? nope, its not drip fed, none of these cars were known prior to the silhouettes except for Nenkai who's said they're been recent additions. This C1 in the datamined list doesn't count because that list is purely a text string list with no data behind it.
You don't know that a new track is coming or not through a CAR silhouette.
This is GT7 and the big issue. If you are not an online racer (given the above mentioned lobby cut out, lack of consequence for dirty driving, it's not difficult to comprehend why) then what do you do? Some will point to custom races. Problem there is a) poor payout, b) poor AI, c) poor balancing and d) pure expectation for the player to do the work for PD
Yes custom races offers a fantastic sandbox to create those missed events you keep referring to, if you're still lazy then refer to the great thread here and try replicate them, it's easy you don't have to do any thinking just like your daily life! copy other peoples settings and away you go!
Yes the payouts are rubbish we can all agree but I thought this was a driving simulator not monopoly.
GT4 didn't have custom races, that's a mod used for emulating GT4.

Last edited:

...word! Already mentioned the most outdated car list of them all, the other big problem is that there is literally nothing to do with them. Championships, Endurance races or at least more options for custom racers with better AI (why even the hardest level is sooooo easy?) and qualifying... I am not even complaining about the low payouts, if we actually could do more with these cars.

What’s with all these “have some fun” comments related to the ambulance? I’m having fun when driving cars that are actually fun to drive. The ambulance is a fridge and mostly comedy, but I cannot laugh at a car unless it’s a Peel P50.

Will be interesting what PD modelled in the interior, for VR.

Also… ;)

Have you ever actually driven an ambulance? Big, boxy, unwieldy, and everyone moves over for you, they are great fun to drive, especially when 8,900 pounds of the oddest vehicle on the planet repeatedly smokes rice burners off the line.
Not that I'd try that, nope, not me!!
Where is your zest for life? I'd love to have some lawnmower races in GT. Not only the "professional racing lawnmowers" that exist, but regular old ones you can find at Home Depot. The races would be hilarious.
On your mark, get set, MOW!!

I get a lot of people don’t care for the wacky weird cars pd adds, but it often seems like pd doesn’t care either as they barely supply any events these wacky weird cars can participate in… They put them in the game and casually forget they exist… It’s not just the real life wacky weird cars either, the vgt’s fall victim to the same faith.

Also on a side note, if they call Gran Turismo “the real driving simulator”, why are there only race tracks in the game and no “open world” style roads to just drive on? It’s weird a “driving simulator” only does “racing simulation”. I’m probably taking it too literal, but still…

It’s weird a “driving simulator” only does “racing simulation”. I’m probably taking it too literal, but still…

Well I never expected an ambulance in GT7... we can recreate Tarzan Yamada's rescue at Route X, I know it's not the same as the old Yatabe track but that's what we have

Last edited:
Back