Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.49: Eiger Nordwand, Six New Cars, Physics Changes, & More

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,624 comments
Overall in my opinion the changes are for the better, but only slight. Suspension model is a bit better, weight transfer is more pronounced (closer to GT6) and that makes about 3/4 of the effect. Tire physics are still "plasticky" and "grip on/off". Even slower cars with C/H or C/M tires still are very twitchy even at low speeds. On the other hands longitudinal grip is I think little bit improved (example: Integra Type R on CM) and overall especially CM tires have more grip than before (I've written lateral G values before the update for comparison for about 15 cars on various tire compounds and all of them have about 0.01-0.02 more lateral G on CM post-update, and are about 1 sec faster per laptime on Laguna Seca). Still, I think (and I know that this is unpopular opinion) this update is only "polishing a turd" and after GT6 - where PD almost got it right in terms of physics and car behaviour - GT series went completely in wrong direction in terms of physics. I've been playing Forza Motorsport a lot lately, and even with its problems (game is basically a beta, that someone greenlighted for release) is miles ahead, especially when it comes to overall tire physics and feel. Just my two cents.
P.S.
Someone mentioned Gallardo Lp640 before - I remember it from GT6 - when it felt quite similar - soft and with big understeer under acceleration - quite opposite to Audi R8 (especially to V10 version from Gt6).

No, they made some adjustments Friday for the 1.49.

Watch this video too, Emily Jones is in it explaining what improvements they made.

This is why I waited until late Friday night into Saturday to download the update, to give PD a day to fix the bugs and glitches. It's much better now.
Watch and see. That's proof right there.
There have been no changes to the game since update 1.49 was released on Thursday July 25.

I've got literally no idea what those videos are trying to show proof of, but they show update 1.49.

There's only been one, 24-hour, expedited patch in GT7's history: 1.08, after 1.07 bricked the game. Any fix for the issue causing cars to behave oddly with extreme suspension settings won't be implemented until the next update, which will likely be in August.

Watch this video too, Emily Jones is in it explaining what improvements they made.

She says nothing to that affect. What time stamp do you think you are hearing otherwise?

Oh okay, thank you guys for clarifying that. I guess I'll just have to deal with the glitches until then. I wish I could delete posts but there is not an option where you can. I wanted to delete that post with video at 7:09pm EST.

Last edited:
No **** sherlock lol, never had this problem before. Maybe a bug, makes the playing interesting. Overall I'm happy with update.
This comment was directed mainly at the others who choose to complain and not adapt their driving to the change.
I too never had this problem before but I learned very quickly to adjust the suspension settings, and the differential settings and MY DRIVING HABITS...

Last edited:
This comment was directed mainly at the others who choose to complain and not adapt their driving to the change.
I too never had this problem before but I learned very quickly to adjust the suspension settings, and the differential settings and MY DRIVING HABITS...
That was one of my first thoughts too, driving habits. I am successful with quite a few other racing games, none of which drive the same. If you run wipEout or SCUD Race, you'll be drifting a lot. If you run extreme-G, Manx TT Superbike, or the earlier Gran Turismo titles you'll be stuck to the road.
GT7 has made a comete shift from one extreme to the other, which I don't like. I hoped for consistency like the old games had. It is not impossible, though. What they've done reminds me of the changes from GT1 to GT2. 2 is almost unplayable because it's very unforgiving if you make a mistake. The only other game I've played like that is Sega Touring Car where there is NO room for error. That hurt Touring Car's ratings, but it was still a success.
I want GT7 to just be one game, not a bunch of other stuff that has to be tweaked and added in. If I want on rails racing I can find that in some older games. If I want to pinpoint accuracy, Touring Car is right here with a Saturn. GT7 fell somewhere in between for the longest time, and I wish it would stay there.

GT7 has made a complete shift from one extreme to the other, which I don't like. I hoped for consistency like the old games had. It is not impossible, though. What they've done reminds me of the changes from GT1 to GT2.
It has not made a complete shift from one extreme to the other. It is still a so-called "grip" game.

. I've been playing Forza Motorsport a lot lately, and even with its problems (game is basically a beta, that someone greenlighted for release) is miles ahead, especially when it comes to overall tire physics and feel. Just my two cents.
I did played Forza too, and have quite the opposite impressions, although Forza physics are nice it is GT7 which feels better on wheel, especially after this update. Forza feels „flat” in comparison and it is really bad at simulating high downforce cars (drifty LMP1 cars for example)

Last edited:
I want GT7 to just be one game, not a bunch of other stuff that has to be tweaked and added in. If I want on rails racing I can find that in some older games. If I want to pinpoint accuracy, Touring Car is right here with a Saturn. GT7 fell somewhere in between for the longest time, and I wish it would stay there.
It is one game though; the new physics didn't really shift the game into either or. It's still GT7, with driving that still focuses on being "simcade" as it is sometimes referred to as. The only difference between 1.49 and pre-1.49 is that now you need slightly more finesse to drive fast and consistently, but the change wasn't drastic enough to take it out of "simcade" and throw it into full sim category. It's still all about being a grip game.

I suggest spending more time with the new physics. If you're like me, after about 300 miles experience with the new physics change(s) you'll notice that it's a change for the better.

Last edited:
I am not fond of the new physics, as there obviously seem to be issues. People say that outside of the obvious jumping glitch everything is fine, I am not convinced there aren't further issues with the new physics. For sure there will be a future patch to fix the glitch, which may possibly also alter the "regular" driving physics again. So for now I will abstain from adjusting my car setups and only drive occasionally. I had dialed in a FFB sweetspot with my Fanatec DD Pro before the update. I really enjoyed playing the game every day. Now all my motivation to drive has vanished.

Regarding the wheel, I've read that it is essential to be on the latest firmware to have proper FFB effects. With GT7's update 1.49 my wheel has more or less gone completely numb, with next to no FFB anymore. So the plan is to update the wheel firmware, then perform test drives and find a new sweet spot with in-game- as well as wheel settings. I already played around with in-game FFB settings as well as wheel settings with the current (outdated) firmware, but found nothing satisfactory.

Concluding, my hopes are limited, so I am inclined to stop driving for the time being, wait for a game patch and focus on making liveries in the meantime ... which is sad. I know that things like the current situation are not unknown with PD, but I had hope that with an update announced so early they wouldn't leave in such obvious bugs. Guess I will never learn (to not have hope).

Last edited:
It has not made a complete shift from one extreme to the other. It is still a so-called "grip" game.
Not in my experience. Among other things I just got finished taking the exact same McLaren that I used with SCUD Race through 40 minutes of BS at Spa. I slid more in five laps there than I ever have on any game I've used it with.
I stand corrected, it's not a "drift" game, it's trash.
I spent an hour trying to re tune another car to run the same race. It was a wild ride to begin with but it keeps lifting the front end now, then slamming it back into the pavement under braking. Nothing changed this, and the tune I started with borrowed some tricks from praiano, so it was good to start with. The front end bounce has got to be due to the glitches.
Other cars, I ran the F-1500 which seems unchanged, but I don't want to outclass the AI, I want a straight challenge.
The only way to beat the AI right now is either to slow them down from hard to medium or out class them, that is, detune a group 1 or group X car and race them that way. This is an unwelcome change from being able to win with a slightly inferior car with enough practice.
I'm not fast by any means but given as long as I've been playing GT7 I could absolutely smoke the AI in one of many racing games I've played. Give me 20 human opponents and I'll show you 19 people faster than me who could also smoke the AI like a Thanksgiving turkey.
The next thing is the absolute bone headed stuff the standard AI is doing now. Not a race goes by that I don't get rear ended or side swiped several times despite being off the racing line and at the edge of grip (that part is a mistake, yes, but the AI shouldn't even be close to me when I make it). The fifth or sixth crash caused by the AI ended my run at Spa a minute ago.
I don't know why people can't see this, but with the current physics, GT7 is useless. I'm certain some issues will be fixed. The bottom line is the game physics should have been finished prior to release, end of story. In fact, best if the whole thing was finished prior to release, but I can see adding cars, tracks, livery elements, etc. If they want a new game engine, they need to make a new game.
Anyway, I may simply hold off until this is fixed. I quit the series after GT4 once I found out what they'd planned for the next installment. It turns out that decision was right. If they fix it, I'll play more, but as it is, I won't be buying GT8.

Last edited:
The more time I spend with the new physics the more torn I am on them in general.

Some aspects I definitely like, but in some aspects I think they went overboard.

I probably would prefer it if they dialed it all back a bit.

I find the understeer way to pronounced and something is weird about TC - Daily Race B (Spa) showed that pretty clearly imo.

I play ACC for my "hardcore" sim fix - I miss the cozy casualness of GT. At least right now.

My perception will probably shift around a bit in the coming weeks.

Clearly this update shows the real driving simulator has a more realistic driving physics simulation than anything out there, even iRacing/LMU/ACC all which have such a tiny number of cars and very small number of tire data tables. Only Gran Turismo has Michelin tire data which is one of the absolute best resources of real world tire data from tractor tires, to rally tires, to motorsport tires across so many many types of motorsports and the world's leading consumer car tire. The rest are guessing while Michelin and Polyphony Digital are using decades worth of immense tire testing research and accumulated data from the black art of making rubber compounds and how they behave across millions of variations of surfaces, wear, slip angles, temps, pressures, humidity, over pushing, damage and on and on. Plus 0.00001% of folks ever will drive an race car from these WEC or other sanctioning bodies and yet they truly think they know what is realistic? egos are one helluva drug.

Clearly this update shows the real driving simulator has a more realistic driving physics simulation than anything out there, even iRacing/LMU/ACC all which have such a tiny number of cars and very small number of tire data tables. Only Gran Turismo has Michelin tire data which is one of the absolute best resources of real world tire data from tractor tires, to rally tires, to motorsport tires across so many many types of motorsports and the world's leading consumer car tire. The rest are guessing while Michelin and Polyphony Digital are using decades worth of immense tire testing research and accumulated data from the black art of making rubber compounds and how they behave across millions of variations of surfaces, wear, slip angles, temps, pressures, humidity, over pushing, damage and on and on. Plus 0.00001% of folks ever will drive an race car from these WEC or other sanctioning bodies and yet they truly think they know what is realistic? egos are one helluva drug.
Is this a bit?

Maybe their NASA partnership is why some cars are turning into rockets, too.

Maybe their NASA partnership is why some cars are turning into rockets, too.
Nope.. It's tesla, No Other "sim" like iRacing can come close:
1722264250519.jpeg

Last edited:
Is this a bit?
Honestly though, I am curious to know if the Michelin partnership involved sharing technical data and simulation models. I'm sure they also have extensive suspension models...

I'd love to know how Polyphony developers implemented any shared tech like that as well.

Sure, there are bugs, but switching to more superior and accurate models is not an easy process to do on a game with this much development, and physics model iterations spanning decades...

Last edited:
Back