Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.49: Eiger Nordwand, Six New Cars, Physics Changes, & More

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,624 comments
Honestly though, I am curious to know if the Michelin partnership involved sharing technical data and simulation models. I'm sure they also have extensive suspension models...

I'd love to know how Polyphony developers implemented any shared tech like that as well.

Sure, there are bugs, but switching to more superior and accurate models is not an easy process to do on a game with this much development, and physics model iterations spanning decades...
The "simulation models" are usually easy, 1st or 2nd year college kids can easily do this. You can keep adding irrelevant minutia, like driver weight loss through sweat and evaporation, and the weight transfer of fuel slosh, and corner balancing properly, but the most important thing are the data tables/curves that these run on.

But, the data for these tables from real world testing is the golden goose, immensely expensive and insanely time consuming to acquire. Now the real world data also includes massive amounts of terrible bad tires and many that they go through during tire testing exercises on tracks, and on real roads and sand dunes, and on and on. But the data Michelin gets back form all the tires across all the teams across all the seasons across all the decades of 24 hour of LeMans or Nurburgring and on and on is worth billions if not trillions. And for them to work with Polyphony digital to come up with a generalized data set and for them to share the characteristics of cars and how they affect that contact patch and how it behaves is literally the most important thing in any simulator.

All the rest is riding on it, literally.

Last edited:
Any one else struggling with straight line stability with the new changes . Fr cars moving stright lines they can randomly feel like like I'm losing the back end .

Also on the d pad capturing fish tailing oversteer way harder .

Did some runs on Eiger. The new physics and track are fire, imo. At first I thought it was a bit slow to turn on the bad, but it depends on the car. You definitely feel the tyres moving beneath you more as they turn.

The last section on Eiger with a high downforce car is awesome because it’s a thin line between making it and hitting the wall, and you need to commit.

I seem to remember the VIZIV VGT understeering regardless of if you’re at the limit of grip or not. If that was the case, then the core under steer has been ironed out a good bit, but somehow it still spins the wheels with Sports: Soft tyres despite being 4WD (not sure of the torque split though). It’s good with Racing: Hard tyres, a little understeery, though that’s probably down to 4WD to a degree.

I’ve been enjoying trying out all sorts of cars to see how they feel with the new physics, and the extra depth with weight transfer and better tyre slip is really making it fun to re-experience these cars.

Last edited:
The "simulation models" are usually easy, 1st or 2nd year college kids can easily do this. You can keep adding irrelevant minutia, like driver weight loss through sweat and evaporation, and the weight transfer of fuel slosh, and corner balancing properly, but the most important thing are the data tables/curves that these run on.

But, the data for these tables from real world testing is the golden goose, immensely expensive and insanely time consuming to acquire. Now the real world data also includes massive amounts of terrible bad tires and many that they go through during tire testing exercises on tracks, and on real roads and sand dunes, and on and on. But the data Michelin gets back form all the tires across all the teams across all the seasons across all the decades of 24 hour of LeMans or Nurburgring and on and on is worth billions if not trillions. And for them to work with Polyphony digital to come up with a generalized data set and for them to share the characteristics of cars and how they affect that contact patch and how it behaves is literally the most important thing in any simulator.

All the rest is riding on it, literally.
100% agree, and yes I was using "model" to encompass more than the programmatic equations.

I know the tire physics data was a huge part of the changes, but I definitely feel a lot of difference in the suspension. Not just in the travel and response, but in how the chassis is distributing forces throughout.

Best way I can describe it now, as a VR player, is: I can feel the center of gravity and predict roll/yaw in a very intuintive way.

I know those forces are "in" the tire data, but as a programmer I wish I knew how this was all organized and implemented...

Last edited:
Any one else struggling with straight line stability with the new changes . Fr cars moving stright lines they can randomly feel like like I'm losing the back end .

Also on the d pad capturing fish tailing oversteer way harder .
Out of curiosity, why are you using the d pad for steering and not the sticks and/or triggers? Recovering from oversteer on d pad steering has always been more challenging than other methods.

The rally race at the new track is extremely hard to get 1st. I could barely manage 2nd with just 1 sec in front of the 3rd guy. The uphill consecutive 3 u-turn are hard!

The new PP calculations have made the WTC600 events even harder than they already were. I entered the Road Atlanta event with a 600 PP car and finished 19 seconds behind the leader despite driving a normally clean race. More like WTF600.
It’s a tough race, managed to get to 4seconds behind 2nd so far, just need to figure out which car is a bullet down the back straight for a win I think

I like the new Gallardo widebody kit, thunk it looks better painted than left carbon

1000010611.jpg

I'm also finding the new physics great on motion steering, have only tried it with the Ferrari up to now though, but it does seem a lot more intuitive to judge how the car is going to react to your inputs

Out of curiosity, why are you using the d pad for steering and not the sticks and/or triggers? Recovering from oversteer on d pad steering has always been more challenging than other methods.
My bad , I just mean am uesing a controller and not a wheel .

Am sticks

Regarding the wheel, I've read that it is essential to be on the latest firmware to have proper FFB effects. With GT7's update 1.49 my wheel has more or less gone completely numb, with next to no FFB anymore. So the plan is to update the wheel firmware, then perform test drives and find a new sweet spot with in-game- as well as wheel settings. I already played around with in-game FFB settings as well as wheel settings with the current (outdated) firmware, but found nothing satisfactory.
What kind of wheelbase do you use? Where have you read that the reason some cars' steering FFB has gone soft is due to not being on the latest Fanatec (or other) software? Or are you talking about something else with the FFB?

In my case and seemingly the case of other Fanatec users (DD+ here), the feedback and detail isn't an issue (at least not that I've discovered so far). The issue is there are a few cars whose steering WEIGHT has gone overly light even with all settings, including in-game torque, maxed out. Personally I've only yet experienced this with the Super Formula, but it sounds like the McLaren MP4/4, Red Bull, and some others are affected.

Anyone have the full list of cars (known so far) that are suffering from what I assume is an unintended glitch?

What kind of wheelbase do you use? Where have you read that the reason some cars' steering FFB has gone soft is due to not being on the latest Fanatec (or other) software? Or are you talking about something else with the FFB?

In my case and seemingly the case of other Fanatec users (DD+ here), the feedback and detail isn't an issue (at least not that I've discovered so far). The issue is there are a few cars whose steering WEIGHT has gone overly light even with all settings, including in-game torque, maxed out. Personally I've only yet experienced this with the Super Formula, but it sounds like the McLaren MP4/4, Red Bull, and some others are affected.

Anyone have the full list of cars (known so far) that are suffering from what I assume is an unintended glitch?
I'll stream testing of this but I am not finding any of it. I am very leary of anything without a video to confirm it.

Welp, I think I've found one of the most entertaining bugged tunes since the AI can actually drive this one. For some reason, the FK8 Civic Type R with this tune accelerates and coasts just fine. But, when braking, if you're going like above 40mph, the rear of the car starts clipping the ground, and you just go straight like a missile. And, if you brake while going like below 40mph, or you get contact at those lower speeds, the car wants to launch itself to the moon a la the Sambabuses.

So you get beautiful chaos and raining cars like below:
Gran Turismo® 7_20240729204953.png
Gran Turismo® 7_20240729205002.png

I've been going back to this game a bit more often since this update dropped. Definitely feels like a different game, even when I'm using the controller.

Welp, I think I've found one of the most entertaining bugged tunes since the AI can actually drive this one. For some reason, the FK8 Civic Type R with this tune accelerates and coasts just fine. But, when braking, if you're going like above 40mph, the rear of the car starts clipping the ground, and you just go straight like a missile. And, if you brake while going like below 40mph, or you get contact at those lower speeds, the car wants to launch itself to the moon a la the Sambabuses.

So you get beautiful chaos and raining cars like below:
View attachment 1376675View attachment 1376676

Tomorrow night multiplayer everyone gets this tune and car! so many tracks to enjoy this moon shot with!

Not in my experience. Among other things I just got finished taking the exact same McLaren that I used with SCUD Race through 40 minutes of BS at Spa. I slid more in five laps there than I ever have on any game I've used it with.
I stand corrected, it's not a "drift" game, it's trash.
I spent an hour trying to re tune another car to run the same race. It was a wild ride to begin with but it keeps lifting the front end now, then slamming it back into the pavement under braking. Nothing changed this, and the tune I started with borrowed some tricks from praiano, so it was good to start with. The front end bounce has got to be due to the glitches.
Other cars, I ran the F-1500 which seems unchanged, but I don't want to outclass the AI, I want a straight challenge.
The only way to beat the AI right now is either to slow them down from hard to medium or out class them, that is, detune a group 1 or group X car and race them that way. This is an unwelcome change from being able to win with a slightly inferior car with enough practice.
I'm not fast by any means but given as long as I've been playing GT7 I could absolutely smoke the AI in one of many racing games I've played. Give me 20 human opponents and I'll show you 19 people faster than me who could also smoke the AI like a Thanksgiving turkey.
The next thing is the absolute bone headed stuff the standard AI is doing now. Not a race goes by that I don't get rear ended or side swiped several times despite being off the racing line and at the edge of grip (that part is a mistake, yes, but the AI shouldn't even be close to me when I make it). The fifth or sixth crash caused by the AI ended my run at Spa a minute ago.
I don't know why people can't see this, but with the current physics, GT7 is useless. I'm certain some issues will be fixed. The bottom line is the game physics should have been finished prior to release, end of story. In fact, best if the whole thing was finished prior to release, but I can see adding cars, tracks, livery elements, etc. If they want a new game engine, they need to make a new game.
Anyway, I may simply hold off until this is fixed. I quit the series after GT4 once I found out what they'd planned for the next installment. It turns out that decision was right. If they fix it, I'll play more, but as it is, I won't be buying GT8.
I'm struggling to follow this post. What event are you talking about? What cars have you driven? What kind of setup are you running? What's the F-1500T got to do with this? And what the hell are your trying to say about the AI? A lot of specifics are missing here so this just seems like an incoherent mess.
Clearly this update shows the real driving simulator has a more realistic driving physics simulation than anything out there, even iRacing/LMU/ACC all which have such a tiny number of cars and very small number of tire data tables. Only Gran Turismo has Michelin tire data which is one of the absolute best resources of real world tire data from tractor tires, to rally tires, to motorsport tires across so many many types of motorsports and the world's leading consumer car tire. The rest are guessing while Michelin and Polyphony Digital are using decades worth of immense tire testing research and accumulated data from the black art of making rubber compounds and how they behave across millions of variations of surfaces, wear, slip angles, temps, pressures, humidity, over pushing, damage and on and on. Plus 0.00001% of folks ever will drive an race car from these WEC or other sanctioning bodies and yet they truly think they know what is realistic? egos are one helluva drug.
It's more realistic than before but it's by no means the last word in realism. We don't know how much information PD has received from Michelin but to say that the developers for iRacing and ACC are "guessing" because they don't have a so-called "tyre partner" is just wrong.

I have the Gran Turismo DD Pro wheelbase with the 8 Nm boost kit. I read somewhere on this forum that updating the wheel base's firmware will greatly help feedback, and I can now confirm this is the case. I updated the firmware yesterday, and now the wheel base's tuning menu is almost completely gone and there is an "auto" mode with fixed settings. So it seems there were substantial changes to the communication between game and wheel.

Since the update I can live much better with the FFB. It is pretty informative now. I am missing the in-wheel tuning options because I like to fiddle with the details until I get a perfect result, which is a painstaking, but ultimately very rewarding process. That is gone now due to the cut-down tuning menu, but the FFB in general is pretty good now, so I'm okay. With a FFB in-game setting above 6 I still get clipping though, which is annoying. I am now running in-game settings 5/4, and it is something I can well live with.

I have only tried a few cars yesterday, and I am a road car guy, thus I cannot comment on whether the wheel weight is okay for all cars. I tried the Lambo Gallardo (stock) as well as tuned versions of the R34 Skyline and the 993 Porsche 911, both with sports tyres. I found FFB to be good with these three cars, although I personally would like a little more feedback. But it certainly wasn't bad.

Regarding the new physics I am pretty happy, yet I expect an upcoming patch for the jump glitch to alter the physics for "normal" driving also. As many players already stated, braking needs more finesse now. Also I found that cars will generally be more unstable at high speeds, which - in the races I ran and the cars I drove yesterday - I found realistic. If you drive a road car at very high speeds and you brake hard into a bend or you cut brutally over a high curb, you will unsettle the car. Before the update cars where more stable at high speeds, which made driving easier, but also was less realisitc.

Overall I am quite happy now with what I've driven, yet still looking forward to the incoming patch.

… now the wheel base's tuning menu is almost completely gone and there is an "auto" mode with fixed settings. So it seems there were substantial changes to the communication between game and wheel.

Since the update I can live much better with the FFB. It is pretty informative now. I am missing the in-wheel tuning options because I like to fiddle with the details until I get a perfect result, which is a painstaking, but ultimately very rewarding process. That is gone now due to the cut-down tuning menu …
Sometimes it’s worth reading the owner’s manual. The tuning menu hasn’t gone anywhere. You press the tuning menu button on your wheel to bring it up, then press and hold again for a few seconds to switch between Auto and Custom tuning modes. 😉

For whatever reason, it often or always reverts to Auto mode as default after updating the software.

Last edited:
Sometimes it’s worth reading the owner’s manual. The tuning menu hasn’t gone anywhere. You press the tuning menu button on your wheel to bring it up, then press and hold again for a few seconds to switch between Auto and Custom tuning modes. 😉

For whatever reason, it often or always reverts to Auto mode as default after updating the software.
It is, thanks for the heads-up! It's great to know that I can get all the setting options back for some fine tuning. Will do so.

P.S.: I am a person who reads user manuals. But to be fair, if the user manual changes during ownership, that is a bit of a sneaky move. :odd:

Last edited:
It is, thanks for the heads-up! It's great to know that I can get all the setting options back for some fine tuning. Will do so.

P.S.: I am a person who reads user manuals. But to be fair, if the user manual changes during ownership, that is a bit of a sneaky move. :odd:
All good dude and glad to help. It’s always been this way, though. First time it happened to me when a Fanatec wheelbase was relatively new to me a couple years ago, I was confused for a few minutes till I looked it up.

Last edited:
I really wish the Impreza had been modelled with different wheels. It’s a beautiful rally car, but those gravel rims make it look rather dull.

I really wish the Impreza had been modelled with different wheels. It’s a beautiful rally car, but those gravel rims make it look rather dull.
R9 WRC had those wheels in that year as it was a gravel car, but it had 2 lift up roof vents and not the single static roof vent modelled in the game.

1000010687.jpg

(R9 WRC on the left)

Also on the 555 livery car it still had the twin roof vent for gravel racing

1000010688.jpg

R9 WRC plate did get used on an Impreza with a single roof vent but this was when the livery had changed to have the stars on it instead of the 3 'stripes' but I think this car was also No.1 at this point not No.3 (correct me if I'm wrong).

1000010690.jpg

In GT Auto you can get each of the front bumpers from the 3 'stripes' rectangular vent to the '555' trapezium shaped vent

Last edited:
When is this? Ive not seen a hotfix advertised anywhere on Gran turismo.com
Assuming this...

But I've not seen a date for implementation yet.

Back