GT Academy National Finals - Venues, Dates, Drivers & Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Sphinx
  • 1,013 comments
I wouldn't have made it through the fitness tests, so if I was the fastest driver in GT5 in Australia I'd have taken a dive in the finals to give an Aussie with a real chance the chance to go.:lol: Then again, the experience alone would be worth going, just to drive the sports cars and supercars they had available...:drool:

I dont think the point here is that Dan didnt turn up to the interviews, but the fact that it seems like he didnt tell anyone what was happening.

I'm sure if he was that bad an unable to attend, and he had contacted one of the judges/organisers about it, then i'm sure it would have been fine and they would have understood.

Seems to me that he knew he couldnt get there, didnt tell anyone, and just thought oh well, if i turn up when i can and tell them what happened it will be alright. Wrong.

If someone knows something i dont, then please straighten me out. But if this is what happened, then he deserved to get eliminated. Jetlag+sore back+fatigue or not

Agreed. I'd have called an ambulance and been delivered to the press conference by the paramedics :-) I remember once seeing Nigel Mansell destroy an F1 car in a crash during the warmup to the point the only thing left was the shell of the cockpit. He got out, jogged back to the pits and started the race in the spare car. I think that's the kind of dedication the judges were looking for at the GT Academy.

Making the media day is one thing, but doing the assault course would've been a pain in the back for him.

Yeah thats fine, we aren't talking about the assault course.

In fact, if he did the assault course with his sore back and fatigue in front of the judges, that would have gotten him huge respect and showed his dedication, even if his performance was rubbish.

But if he didnt tell anyone what was happening, and just expected his excuse to get him off, then thats not showing dedication and commitment towards the competition, which is what the judges are/were looknig for.

But if he didnt tell anyone what was happening

All I can say is that the press weren't told why Dan wasn't there. That doesn't mean that Dan didn't tell the GT Academy staff where he was - and after all, they knocked on his door - but that this information wasn't passed on to us.

the fact that it seems like he didnt tell anyone what was happening.

I do believe that a lot of speculation 👎 is going on, on this subject.

We know Dan is fast.
2cf48rq.gif

We know Dan as a good GT Planet member. :gtplanet:

We know Dan did not make it to be the winner of GT Academy 2010. :indiff:

Dan and the GT Academy can comment on the last one if they want to do so and otherwise there is not much sense in discussing this amongst people that were not present.

Hi guys, back home.

The experience over there was terrific, as I said in one of the interviews, I really wasn't too dissapointed to not make the top 8, I was just happy to be there, meeting all the competitors, playing the GT5 Demo, having fun competing.

I knew my fitness going into the event was quite poor, and it was due to my poor fitness and poor pain threshold that led me to make the decision to rest and sleep instead of attending the press conference. My neck and back was sore, but what I was worried about was fainting at the conference, my body was completely depleted and struggling to walk, my eyes were completely red from lack of sleep and I felt quite out of sorts, at the time I thought I was doing the right thing by listening to my body and resting, obviously this cost Australia a chance to win the GT Academy and I am sorry for this, for letting down not only Australia, and all the people who were supporting me, from the media there, to my family back home, but also mainly to Devie and Muggo, who both came within a whisker of winning the national final. I believe If either one of them made it, they would have put in a better more committed performance than I, sorry guys:(

Leaving the competition early was obviously a little dissapointing, as I didnt get to drive the F3000 cars and ofcourse, the GT4 370Z race car, but more importantly, I wasn't able to show the judges that I was one of the fastest drivers there. which I realised after the first pole lap challenge on day 1. I was able to come to grips with the sensitive braking required in the wet conditions and to avoid at all costs, engaging the aids that were operating in the car.

I really enjoyed spending time with Ocer from the Netherlands, who was a very good competitor that made it to the top 8, his brother suffers from a puzzling bladder problem which prevented him from coming here so Ocer took his place. You had a great time there from what i could see, I'm sure your brother will be sitting back home feeling very proud of your achievements;)

Also must mention the Germans of Zoker16, andn Gantebein, really enjoyed playing the GT5 demo in the Gran Prix suite with you guys, and playing table tennis with Zoker in the after party was enjoyable, (as well as distracting, I will never forget Johnny Herbert who was dressed up as some sort of feral prostitute, coming on to me at the table, giving me the eye, I wasn't sure weather to punch him in the face or run away!)

Was also a pleasure to meet Daniel Collins, the most genuine easy going, take it as it comes guy there, he fully deserved to make it as far as he did, even though at times you were doubting yourself along the way, well done on a superb Academy mate;)

To Tizzla who was like my brother at the end due to us being the last to leave, had a great time with you and I know you didn't quite do aswell as you would have liked in the pole lap challenges on day 1 and 2, next time don't get the car Sideways, it costs you time!!

I never got to chat to Rootbe as I didn't realize he was there untill I left, which was a shame as you would have to be the guy I respect the most in terms of your pace in the game anyway, shame you didn't make it to the top 8.

To Prudent bear, very nice effort throughout the competition, but I'm sure you were a little dissapointed with your pace, I am sure you will return next year with a better knowledge and understanding of these powerful cars. Likewise to the other Brit who competed, you showed alot of potential mate, really enjoyed our battles in the Rage buggies, even though I had a massive advantage with the red car lol.

All in all, a very very good experience, If I never make it to the GT Academy again, or they for some reason stop running it, I can be reasonably content in my efforts and performance. Whatever the case, Australia will win the next GT Academy! :D

Nice write up Dan, your forgot to mention Tezpez1985 who came second at our national final, he would be dissapointed also, lol.

Don't feel bad though you were the fastest you deserved to go more then anyone else, I am insanely jealous of what you got to do over in the UK.

Hi guys, back home.

The experience over there was terrific.......

............All in all, a very very good experience, If I never make it to the GT Academy again, or they for some reason stop running it, I can be reasonably content in my efforts and performance. Whatever the case, Australia will win the next GT Academy! :D

Not gonna quote you on all of your message because that would be spamming I guess:) I dont know you very well Dan but your situation is quite the same as I had in the 1st edition of GT Academy (BTW its sad that I couldnt meet all you guys because actually I was the Dutch winner of course). There I got to with no fitness preparation also and I knew that it would be a huge problem to stay healthy also because of my sickness I have to deal with every day... Well the story is known I got sick and couldnt attend at one part of the GT Academy back then (also some sort of Assault course). Anyway I pushed hard but was eliminated before I could even show my racing skills:guilty: (which were decent enough to be at the best 8). But I do really understand (and so I was not too dissapointed about elimination) that they want someone healthy and fit to race, but in 1 or 2 months you can prepare someone to be fit enough to race...

But in your case I was pretty dissapointed because I was watching Twitter pretty close and saw some names constantly up there and when I heared you were eliminated I was like: WTF! But heared the reason and I could understand the decision of the judges but also not... I mean isnt it about finding a FAST DRIVER? We can all make mistakes or we can all be not fit enough for racing but in such a week racing should be the prior thing to judge on, in the end that happenened but I still think that some people on the 1st and 2nd edition of the GT Academy were eliminated for no good reasons... A big warning for you should have been enough and they should have given you a go for the last 8. Its clear that you were fast!

But I know I know... Its a media show so when you not there where they want you to be they will punish you for that.

PS: At the 1st edition there were these french guys who came way too late to catch the bus to Silverstone. We even waited like 30mins for them and then they decided to leave. The french came out of the hotel running to catch the bus and they were allowed to get in. Isnt this a big BIG error aswell (Judges said day before: If you arent there at 06:00 then you cant go to Silverstone)? A professional driver needs to be on time always, but why did they give them another chance? They were with 3... And eliminating them all would have been too hard, but in the end its the same situation as yours Dan if you ask me...

Last edited:
PS: At the 1st edition there were these french guys who came way too late to catch the bus to Silverstone. We even waited like 30mins for them and then they decided to leave. The french came out of the hotel running to catch the bus and they were allowed to get in. Isnt this a big BIG error aswell (Judges said day before: If you arent there at 06:00 then you cant go to Silverstone)? A professional driver needs to be on time always, but why did they give them another chance? They were with 3... And eliminating them all would have been too hard, but in the end its the same situation as yours Dan if you ask me...

Hi Eric,

as I recall, the time period we ended up waiting in the bus wasn't that long, but I see your point. However, I think it's hard for us to judge what should've and what shouldn't have happened. This GTA of 2010 is different to that in 2008, and the organizers have used past experiences to enhance the new event's structure and rules.

Cheers,

Karri

Yep I heard from your brother of your situation last year, a great shame about your medical condition, your brother was a worthy replacment though and I hope the doctors can diagnose and treat your condition, I also suffer from undiagnosed small niggling health problems which I would rather not divulge here, they're not that significant anyway, but played a part in my early elimination when combined with extreme fatigue and lack of sleep.

I am not here posting excuses, as many of you know me, i don't often lie or try and make excuses, I was just trying to recall what I was feeling the night I elected to rest, I was slightly fearful for my health and remembered thinking that I might have fainted If I pushed any further into the early night, not notifying the organisers was a mistake, I should have rung reception and got them to pass on a message, but I guess the dissapointent of finishing last by an absolute mile in the gokarting, crashing into the barrier heavily when on cold tires, fatigue ect all played their roles in my 'giving up' almost. But people have bad days.

I just hoped that the judges recognised that I might have just been really struggling in terms of jet lag ect, and gave me a fair go the next day, which they did thankfully, I made an effort to appologise to Larth (is that his name, I suck with names) which I believe he accepted, and I put in a great day on day 2, my final day of live competition.

My ambition is to try and do a Luca, in winning the Academy on his second attempt, now I know what is needed to win this competition, next year If I can get passed the 2 flying Aussies (I did not mention Tepez as he was the one that made a bad braking move and crashed into me on lap 2 of the final race of the national final, Jush Muggo and Devie drove brilliantly and made no aggressive moves like that) I will utilize the experience I have gained from this years failure to win it.

Last edited:
@ Grandi
He are you Karri from Finland? Kakeskin? Good to see you. Well I do remember that we have waited and everybody was specifically told to be on time or better... Earlier! And they did none of that which is to me in such a week a big error so it shouldve been judged the way Dan is judged about him not showing up at the conference. If you ask me? both should not have been such a big problem anyway, DRIVE and show your SKILLS that should be the only thing that matters...

@ MarkWebber
My brother did an excellent job yes, really proud of that and I knew he could get to the final 8! Interesting to read that you seem to have some problems aswell, makes our situation even more comparable. hopefully we can meet each other on the next GT Academy where I will not let it happen what happened this time!

Guess we need to go to the fitness right now ;-)

Here's a first step ... by next years Academy all you hopefuls should be able to complete this easily.

http://hundredpushups.com/

I started at week 5, it took me about three weeks to get through week six and about three more weeks before I could do 100 straight off.

I would guess that fitness would not be my problem if I ever made it to the academy, extreme lack of driving talent and old age would be more likely to be the culprits :-)

Lol, about 5 years ago I was training really hard for no real reason, and I got to the stage were I was able to perform 20 consecutive 1 arm pushups, that was along time ago and I can't even do one anymore;)

@MarkWebber

Hey Dan,

Look, don't get me wrong in my posts, you deserved to be there as you were the quickest on the day and throughout the time trial so I am not questioning your place at Silverstone.

And after reading your post I may have been a little too harsh on you so if I was i apologise.

I think you know the mistake you made by not notifying anyone of your absence and you dont need me to remind you any more.

Well done and hard luck,

Josh

Hey Dan you did well.. and no one doubts that you would be in the final 8 if you didnt make that mistake.. but of course Daniel Collins wasnt your opponent to pass there, i think he had his place already.. in my opinion they just made that call (when they said "...and the last is Daniel...... Collins") to make more excitement for the media stuff... great job anyway :cheers:

Thanks Josh, there really is no hard feelings, you were completely right to question my behaviour and commitment over at Silverstone.

Hey Dan you did well.. and no one doubts that you would be in the final 8 if you didnt make that mistake.. but of course Daniel Collins wasnt your opponent to pass there, i think he had his place already.. in my opinion they just made that call (when they said "...and the last is Daniel...... Collins") to make more excitement for the media stuff... great job anyway :cheers:

Thanks MAY, I was happy to atleast perform well in one area of the competition, which was the super pole with the 370Z in wet conditions, that's something I can be proud of when looking back on my experience;) Just wondering now what are the chances of there being another GT Academy, 90 per cent ish? And will it be the same time next year or in the summer period of next year, like when the first one was.

I wonder if it'll be linked into the new game like last time ? It does make people buy the game afterall but also generally there might be less entrants unless its proper worldwide. In terms of physical stuff I'm fit but even so my back and neck have gone this week from running and too much shoulder stuff and yesterday I completely disloacted my right thumb ! Just goes to show how easy it is to injur yourself anyway LOL

Just looking at this,Was a great read.Question for the super quick drivers.
Does being the fastest in the world at time trials generally mean your also a superstar in online racing as well?

Back