GT Academy National Finals - Venues, Dates, Drivers & Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Sphinx
  • 1,013 comments
yeah got mine in the post too.

just quietly that is a MASSIVE towel! its 6ft long!

had a go of that MAG game, seems alright, even if it is an online only game.

Dan didnt go to the press interviews because he had a sore back and he was tired from the go karting.

read into that what you will. there are videos on youtube on the "Gtacademy 2010" channel. i think it is day 2 where he gets interviewed.

Rob Barff said that "Mr holland has kicked himself in the balls by not turning up to his media interview".

I think i have to agree with him

Really? I see Dan in there and he's at least 6'3".

The tall guys are off to the side and all the short blokes are smack in the middle. It's like they outcast the tall people aside cause they knew they weren't going through. It sux being tall.

yeah got mine in the post too.

just quietly that is a MASSIVE towel! its 6ft long!

had a go of that MAG game, seems alright, even if it is an online only game.

Dan didnt go to the press interviews because he had a sore back and he was tired from the go karting.

read into that what you will. there are videos on youtube on the "Gtacademy 2010" channel. i think it is day 2 where he gets interviewed.

Rob Barff said that "Mr holland has kicked himself in the balls by not turning up to his media interview".

I think i have to agree with him
lol i had to look at my towel twice to work out what it was. It's huge! As for Dan not turning up to the media interviews due to fatigue is absolutely luducrous. Some people like myself would have gone to extreme lengths to fulfill all judging criteria. I mean no offence in my message,this is just an emotional opinion. Sincere congrats to Dan for getting that far and doing his best.

Last edited:
The tall guys are off to the side and all the short blokes are smack in the middle. It's like they outcast the tall people aside cause they knew they weren't going through. It sux being tall.

Except Dan did get through. I know, I met him at Silverstone.

He's used a wide angle lens and has pre-focussed on the centre driver before moving to a spot just ahead of the drivers. This has the effect of making everything in the middle "normal" size and shortened things towards the periphery, without the effect of making things you're looking up at unnaturally tall. It's a trick of photography and there's a wide range of heights in there, rather than:

everyone is almost the same height, short.

As for Dan not turning up to the media interviews due to fatigue is absolutely luducrous. Some people like myself would have gone to extreme lengths to fulfill all judging criteria. All i can say is that is a great disappointment and i hope he doesn't mess up my chances next year because i would have had Australia up there with the best if i had made it.

That's incredibly unfair - and arrogant. After being in Australia on Tuesday and arriving in the UK on Thursday, he then had a 7am start on Friday, 8 hard laps in a Nissan 370Z, a physical, a medical and a 2 hour karting endurance. On track and in the physical, Dan was up there with the best. But, as he said, after 2 hours of a 6'3" man shoved into a kart, his back hurt - and it hurt so much that when he lay down on the bed for ten minutes to recover, he couldn't actually get off it again. Of course "if" you had made it, we might have seen things differently. But you didn't - Dan did.

It's also unfair on the judges to suggest that they might be somehow biased against Australians because Dan didn't do a press conference - even if they will be the same judges (which is by no means a safe assumption).

Last edited:
Hi guys, quick message, reason |I failed to attend was extreme fatigue, very little sleep for close to 96 hours, coming dead last in the go karting, very saw neck and back due to a 60km/h crash into a tire barrier, \i heard my door knock once

Hi guys, quick message, reason |I failed to attend was extreme fatigue, very little sleep for close to 96 hours, coming dead last in the go karting, very saw neck and back due to a 60km/h crash into a tire barrier, \i heard my door knock once

Sorry to hear that Dan, there was probably a lot of jet lag involved too.

lol i had to look at my towel twice to work out what it was. It's huge! As for Dan not turning up to the media interviews due to fatigue is absolutely luducrous. Some people like myself would have gone to extreme lengths to fulfill all judging criteria. I mean no offence in my message,this is just an emotional opinion. Sincere congrats to Dan for getting that far and doing his best.

To famine, i understood the arrogance in my message. Edited.

But, as he said, after 2 hours of a 6'3" man shoved into a kart, his back hurt - and it hurt so much that when he lay down on the bed for ten minutes to recover, he couldn't actually get off it again.

This clearly is not true.

-----

But anyway, Dan.. nobody can not do more than his best and I just hope you feel that you succeeded in doing that. No more can anyone ask from you 👍

Devie - Roger. I appreciate you didn't mean it to sound that way.

It's what he said to GT Academy TV.

At the time it wasn't actually explained to us - Rupert said "Dan's still down under" and that was that. Dan later told GTATV that he couldn't get up again to come to the interviews and had apologised for this the next day.

I'd expressed to both Dan and Tony my surprise that they were able to function on UK time - and race competitively - three days after being in Aus/NZ time. It clearly had taken its toll, though neither of them showed it in person (though I did photograph Dan holding a cup of coffee quite often). Perhaps with a few more days of acclimitisation, they'd have been even faster... (scary thought).

Last edited:
It's what he said to GT Academy TV.

At the time it wasn't actually explained to us - Rupert said "Dan's still down under" and that was that. Dan later told GTATV that he couldn't get up again to come to the interviews and had apologised for this the next day.

Ah, I see. Lucky Dan that the pain went off during the night! :dopey: 👍 If you can't get off the bed, driving a race car only a few hours from that really shows true commitment and fighting spirit :cheers:

I hope the guy ("what was his name?") accepted the apology.. 👍

As I said, there were a whole load of names to get used to quickly. It could have been Rob Barff (who I know by name but, even after meeting him, not by face), or one of the guys from Jardine who were conducting the interviews. I didn't see the judges at all in the press conference room, so it's more likely that.

I'm crap with names and faces. Nail on 12hr of jetlag and I'd be "wossname" too.

Ah, I see. Lucky Dan that the pain went off during the night! :dopey: 👍 If you can't get off the bed, driving a race car only a few hours from that really shows true commitment and fighting spirit :cheers:

I hope the guy ("what was his name?") accepted the apology.. 👍

From millions of 'wannabe' drivers around the world, few actually come to drive a car in a track for real. Even then, from those, very few do actually make a career out of it and, even fewer, do have a successful career.

Why is that? Because actually racing (not driving a race car) it is very hard and few people are in fact fit to it.

I don't know if you have ever did it, or even if you are a race driver in real life. If you are, 👍 good for you, congratulations. If not, you're merely one in millions of virtual race drivers around the world.

Either way, I think you do not have the right to stand that attitude and criticize towards Dan Holland for what happened in Silverstone. You can claim that he was awarded with an opportunity that millions would've trade anything for it. You're wrong. He wasn't simply awarded, he earned it.

It's not up to you, or anyone else for that matter, to judge him for missing the interviews or for forgetting the name of someone. The reasons to it were explained.

Either way, I think you do not have the right to stand that attitude and criticize towards Dan Holland for what happened in Silverstone. You can claim that he was awarded with an opportunity that millions would've trade anything for it. You're wrong. He wasn't simply awarded, he earned it.

It's not up to you, or anyone else for that matter, to judge him for missing the interviews or for forgetting the name of someone. The reasons to it were explained.

And you have no right to judge Timo's credentials either. If it wasn't for the ridiculous occurence of his steering wheel coming off during the final of his regional championship (which he was leading, having finished #1 across all Scandinavian countries), Timo would be at Silverstone as well, so he is perfectly qualified to make a judgement on the sort of talent, application and dedication required to take part in such an affair.

Also did you miss the part where Timo has congratulated Dan Holland?

-----

But anyway, Dan.. nobody can not do more than his best and I just hope you feel that you succeeded in doing that. No more can anyone ask from you 👍

Also, in case you are unaware, Timo and Dan have known each other some time now and have exchanged much banter and jokes in the WRS forums, so don't get too agitated at their exchange or what they say to each other. Dan has made a running joke of saying Timo's name wrong for the last few months ("Timmy, Tim-Pack" etc) so Timo's comments to Dan were perfectly within keeping for their relationship.

All the best
Maz

From millions of 'wannabe' drivers around the world, few actually come to drive a car in a track for real. Even then, from those, very few do actually make a career out of it and, even fewer, do have a successful career.

Why is that? Because actually racing (not driving a race car) it is very hard and few people are in fact fit to it.

I don't know if you have ever did it, or even if you are a race driver in real life. If you are, 👍 good for you, congratulations. If not, you're merely one in millions of virtual race drivers around the world.

Once you are in Silverstone, of course it is up to you to decide how to use the opportunity. :)

Dan surely did his best.. who could ask for more? 👍 👍 It's quite safe to say that anybody that is willing to travel so far would be trying to do his best.. don't you think.

It's not up to you, or anyone else for that matter, to judge him for missing the interviews

Well... actually, it was up to me. I had to put a dash next to his name - which was a bit of a sod because having watched him all day I was looking forward to seeing him get put through to the final 8.

And you have no right to judge Timo's credentials either.

And I'm not. In fact I don't know Timo at all so I stay open to the possibility of him being a 10 years old kid who never drove a car before in life or Mika Hakkinen itself. Either way I still stand to my opinion that it is inadequate for someone to pass judgement about Dan's situation in Silverstone. So, the misfortune of Timo's at the Scandinavian finals that might prevent him of being in Silverstone, it's irrelevant for the matter.

As for Timo's compliments to Dan, I've noticed them. But I also noticed the emoticons used on the message and them seem to me as an indication of the irony and sarcasm used on it. If this is a misinterpretation from my part, then my apologies to Timo.

Once you are in Silverstone, of course it is up to you to decide how to use the opportunity.

The problem is that sometimes there are things that are not exclusively up to you that determine your faith - your misfortune at the finals is a good example - and holding it against someone, or criticizing someone in spite of, is to me unfair and harsh.

Well... actually, it was up to me. I had to put a dash next to his name - which was a bit of a sod because having watched him all day I was looking forward to seeing him get put through to the final 8.

I believe it is easily understandable the I was refering to morally judge Dan's for not going to the interview, and not as in the event judging context

Last edited:
The Nordic final is totally irrelevant 👍
----

bullie77
The problem is that sometimes there are things that are not exclusively up to you that determine your faith - and holding it against someone, or criticizing someone in spite of, is to me unfair and harsh.

What do you mean?

Last edited:
I believe it is easily understandable the I was refering to morally judge Dan's for not going to the interview, and not as in the event judging context

I believe it is easily understandable the I was kidding.

What do you mean?

Taking what happen to you during your finals as an example. It was a misfortune and something that was completely out of your hands. Using it against you, saying for example that if you really were committed going to Silverstone you would win it no matter the wheel coming loose would be harsh and unfair to you, to say the least.

My perspective, Dan's situation (back hurt + fatigue from long travel + 2 h karting + jetlag = missing the interviews) goes in the same category.

Another example would be the finalist (from Belgium I believe) that didn't go to the finals due to a surgery scheduled for that time.

All those things fall out of your hands no matter how commited you are on your intention. The right attitude is up to you, you're right and I agree you. But some circumstances might not be.

Taking what happen to you during your finals as an example. It was a misfortune and something that was completely out of your hands. Using it against you, saying for example that if you really were committed going to Silverstone you would win it no matter the wheel coming loose would be harsh and unfair to you, to say the least.

My perspective, Dan's situation (back hurt + fatigue from long travel + 2 h karting + jetlag = missing the interviews) goes in the same category.

Another example would be the finalist (from Belgium I believe) that didn't go to the finals due to a surgery scheduled for that time.

All those things fall out of your hands no matter how commited you are on your intention. The right attitude is up to you, you're right and I agree you. But some circumstances might not be.

Well, if you insist talking about my situation, I do know that I should have checked the wheel, it wasn't out of my hands. No doubt about it. And you can hold it against me if you wish (in 3rd). I was just too stupid not to do it.. but surely it wasn't about my commitment. Was I supposed to check the wheel? I really don't know. Was it the reason I spinned in the first place? I really don't know. I only know that if I was wiser, I could have eliminated that risk, even if it wasn't my job to do. But sometimes you learn by mistake.. All I can say that I did my best and it wasn't enough this time. Next time I'll do better. I can't ask more of myself.

About Dan's case, I don't know what has gone through his mind. That's why I said that I really hope he feels he has done all he can, as I know from personal experience that then he can be ok with the result. No one can not ask more from him. 👍

Well, if you insist talking about my situation, I do know that I should have checked the wheel, it wasn't out of my hands. No doubt about it. And you can hold it against me if you wish (in 3rd). I was just too stupid not to do it.. but surely it wasn't about my commitment. Was I supposed to check the wheel? I really don't know. Was it the reason I spinned in the first place? I really don't know. I only know that if I was wiser, I could have eliminated that risk, even if it wasn't my job to do. But sometimes you learn by mistake.. All I can say that I did my best and it wasn't enough this time. Next time I'll do better. I can't ask more of myself.

I believe you misundertand me. I'm not using what happen to you against you, and I consider inadequated if someone did. I used this example to show, following your question, what did I mean by circumstances that are off your control.

👍

I believe you misundertand me. I'm not using what happen to you against you, and I consider inadequated if someone did. I used this example to show, following your question, what did I mean by circumstances that are off your control.

👍

(in 3rd = spoken in 3rd person, so it was you that misunderstood me ;))

Anyway in that case, it was very bad example as it was everything but off my control.

The guy that had the surgery was a good example, of course.. 👍 Big big difference between my case and his.

and it hurt so much that when he lay down on the bed for ten minutes to recover, he couldn't actually get off it again.

I can believe that. I went on a road trip a last year. 20hrs in a lowered car with stiff suspension followed by a night's sleep on the floor=pinched nerve and no ability to support my weight without going through excruciating pain. Not same circumstances but same result.

Back