GT Sport Livery Editor Thread

• Thread starter Snaeper
  • 3,669 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
That ususally (if not always) only happens when one of the sponsors is a sponsor of the series, not of the car manufacturer or the racing driver. And those brands almost never "compete" in the hierarchy of the livery itself. When that happens, is not because of "creative freedom" but because the series pretty much demands all the participants to run those brands on their cars.

A famous exception is the BAR Honda Luckies / 555.

If you would say "there's nothing right or wrong" creating a livery in the real world you would be out of business pretty quickly. But in GTS yes, everything's permitted. That has its upsides and downsides though.

But Lucky Strike and 555 were/are both owned by the same company so why not try to promote two of your products if you have two blank canvases until the FIA say nope :sly:

Reactions: VXR
But Lucky Strike and 555 were/are both owned by the same company so why not try to promote two of your products if you have two blank canvases :sly:

Yes and it's an iconic and goofy case because no one does it. 👍

Speaking for myself here (obviously), yes. I do ignore not only liveries that mix rival brands, but also liveries where the stickers/decals are placed in unrealistic parts of the car (like the tire and rim brands on top of the car or hood instead of next to the wheels), liveries with bad hierarchy of brands (where there's not a main brand and all the logos have the same size) and bad color combinations.

I don't think the creative freedom is expressed on how you place your brands and which ones you choose but in what's behind them all, the livery design itself. "Playing" with brand logos without restrictions is not only unrealistic but it also makes the livery look worse in the end. Graphic design and Branding are specific disciplines for a reason. :)

As a graphic designer myself I have to say that I wouldn't use 99.9% of the liveries I see. Most of them are OK but lose me on the details I mentioned above.

This is not because I think I'm better than everyone else. It's just due to the knowledge I have regarding graphic design that most people don't. And that's OK. A lot of people do amazing stuff even without being designers and the best way to make a good livery IMO is to follow realistic rules and maybe copy real world liveries to figure out the basics.

:cheers:

Sounds like both a curse and a blessing. I've worked with these kinds of things myself so I can relate to some of the things you say. I'm the kind of guy who spend three days creating my RPG characters (I'm not even joking). When I was younger I bought games only to learn their customization tools; I had very little interest in actually playing them. :)

But I'm not a pro that's for sure and there's a limit even for my patience. At the end of the day I create whatever I feel like and sometimes I share it and sometimes I don't. If you take a look at the "most popular" and "trending" sections in GTS you can see that this is the way for most creators. Many of the best ones are made by pure amateurs that only has that one great livery that they actually pulled off. Their followers then upvote everything they do because they liked that initial passion they were shown.

I think it's great that there's a mix of so many mindsets and talents. Everytime I see that classic blue Impreza livery I just chuckle and think to myself "Oh boy, here's another one", but then I'm reminded that the person might've just put their whole soul into the car, even though it's not even in the top 100 of that particular Impreza livery. I always try to commend this by making a nice comment or at least leaving a like. :)

Made two more replicas wich is the Phoenix Racing R8 Bathurst 12h race of 2012 one is original and one is with a Aussie kangaroo then the Audi TT wich was driven by Germany's playmate of the year 2008 I think and some fictional liverys. All to find on my profile Sergio_Regazzoni

Attachments

• ap_E9716347-3489-49E8-B696-2EFDC5B42294.jpeg
    ap_E9716347-3489-49E8-B696-2EFDC5B42294.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 75
  • ap_EDEE0CA7-5378-4202-8B80-5237F994B053.jpeg
    ap_EDEE0CA7-5378-4202-8B80-5237F994B053.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 77
  • ap_85D075AE-AB33-4F65-B217-90B07968A5A2.jpeg
    ap_85D075AE-AB33-4F65-B217-90B07968A5A2.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 74
  • ap_9BF82FD8-B2A9-40AB-A2FD-15328FCDB199.jpeg
    ap_9BF82FD8-B2A9-40AB-A2FD-15328FCDB199.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 77
  • ap_861AF944-B44A-4EB7-B724-53D92C18DD1D.jpeg
    ap_861AF944-B44A-4EB7-B724-53D92C18DD1D.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 79
  • ap_C0EE2C61-6789-4DE5-8004-CDBBB0493FDB.jpeg
    ap_C0EE2C61-6789-4DE5-8004-CDBBB0493FDB.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 78
  • ap_E1AEA312-8DBB-4965-9B0D-CB5D5A4C4A91.jpeg
    ap_E1AEA312-8DBB-4965-9B0D-CB5D5A4C4A91.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 76
  • ap_A16F4522-3958-4242-8A7D-21186DEFA48E.jpeg
    ap_A16F4522-3958-4242-8A7D-21186DEFA48E.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 79
  • ap_5957E9DF-A167-4432-9669-FF75CA80DE91.jpeg
    ap_5957E9DF-A167-4432-9669-FF75CA80DE91.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 77
  • ap_007435E9-C7C2-4D74-920C-B0E5F4142C49.jpeg
    ap_007435E9-C7C2-4D74-920C-B0E5F4142C49.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 79
  • ap_0056D8E3-7053-4E48-BACF-054380ADD56E.jpeg
    ap_0056D8E3-7053-4E48-BACF-054380ADD56E.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 78
  • ap_5DAC79B0-49AC-45A0-B05F-F73063ACF35D.jpeg
    ap_5DAC79B0-49AC-45A0-B05F-F73063ACF35D.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 79
Finally have a proper, real world livery on my Genesis. I believe this came from a Pikes Peak car. Not a lot of Genesis race cars around.

HdcwWz4.jpg

JXJZArG.jpg

Been trying to get these liveries in game since it was available to me. Finally successful, although for some reason the resolution is low. I don't care, they are still cool. Now if we only had Camaro race cars to put them on.

dTF7Vci.jpg

Q41xxMT.jpg

Q4a2Kxv.jpg

djYue9b.jpg

Sounds like both a curse and a blessing. I've worked with these kinds of things myself so I can relate to some of the things you say. I'm the kind of guy who spend three days creating my RPG characters (I'm not even joking). When I was younger I bought games only to learn their customization tools; I had very little interest in actually playing them. :)

But I'm not a pro that's for sure and there's a limit even for my patience. At the end of the day I create whatever I feel like and sometimes I share it and sometimes I don't. If you take a look at the "most popular" and "trending" sections in GTS you can see that this is the way for most creators. Many of the best ones are made by pure amateurs that only has that one great livery that they actually pulled off. Their followers then upvote everything they do because they liked that initial passion they were shown.

I think it's great that there's a mix of so many mindsets and talents. Everytime I see that classic blue Impreza livery I just chuckle and think to myself "Oh boy, here's another one", but then I'm reminded that the person might've just put their whole soul into the car, even though it's not even in the top 100 of that particular Impreza livery. I always try to commend this by making a nice comment or at least leaving a like. :)

Subaru, Monster, Redbull, Makkinen, any forza player will tell you that certain liveries get spammed every game and get boring really quick! lol

MMX
Finally have a proper, real world livery on my Genesis. I believe this came from a Pikes Peak car. Not a lot of Genesis race cars around.

HdcwWz4.jpg

JXJZArG.jpg

Been trying to get these liveries in game since it was available to me. Finally successful, although for some reason the resolution is low. I don't care, they are still cool. Now if we only had Camaro race cars to put them on.

dTF7Vci.jpg

Q41xxMT.jpg

Q4a2Kxv.jpg

djYue9b.jpg

It is indeed a pikes peak car and one of about 3 liveries I found for the car that werent a single stripe!

Reactions: MMX
Sorry if its been written before, but i can not find it.

How do i apply one of my liveries to my other car?

well. I made a white Cobra with some features on it, and I want my TTS to look the same. I can not find my liveries in the library after I saved them. ?

Its a cobra paint. It wont go on any other car.

:bowdown:
Good liveries like these make stand out the work they did @PD with their models, but the livery is perfect: not one mistake or low quality sticker! amazing

i really dig this clean take on the martini livery, perhaps would you try out BBS or Enkei rims? I recon not many cars use centerlocks Rays these days (iirc they're mostly used by japanese cars and in asian racing series):cheers:

Sure! I’ll post the update here. One thing that I’m always having second thoughts about is the rim colour... what should I use? I remember some old race cars and rally cars having them painted.

Guys, is it just me or is majority of the brand logos gone? My screen just did a flicker when I was editing a car when the brand logos are now A-Z instead of the usual 3 batches.

Guys, is it just me or is majority of the brand logos gone? My screen just did a flicker when I was editing a car when the brand logos are now A-Z instead of the usual 3 batches.
Is iton a Ferrari? If so that’s Ferraris fault and not yours

Aston Martin Zagato livery

This was the most complex and time consuming (no pun intended) livery I've made yet. I started some days earlier with the research for the watch, made dozens of decals and then imported and put them all together ingame, layer by layer. Because of its location and the fact that 90% of it is made out of circular shapes and letters/numbers, it was tricky as hell to place "new layers" exatly in the same place, with the same angle as the ones below (GT should make it so when you add a new layer, the camera defaults to the angle you used for the layer below...). The fact that I couldn't just mirror the letters and numbers means I had basically to make a new watch on the opposite side. ^^ I have 10 layers left to add a few more details but I'm happy with how it looks atm.

eurp-1108-11%2Bv12-zagato-production%2Bright-view.jpg

Last edited:

This was the most complex and time consuming (no pun intended) livery I've made yet. I started some days earlier with the research for the watch, made dozens of decals and then imported and put them all together ingame, layer by layer. Because of its location and the fact that 90% of it is made out of circular shapes and letters/numbers, it was tricky as hell to place "new layers" exatly in the same place, with the same angle as the ones below (GT should make it so when you add a new layer, the camera defaults to the angle you used for the layer below...). The fact that I couldn't just mirror the letters and numbers means I had basically to make a new watch on the opposite side. ^^ I have 10 layers left to add a few more details but I'm happy with how it looks atm.

Nice work! Is the top pic from the game? It looks so realistic.

Btw, when you make your own number decal like that, wont it be covered with a default one in certain modes? I always like to do my own decal but sometimes I'm afraid that all that hard work is going to get ruined by in some game modes.

Nice work! Is the top pic from the game? It looks so realistic.

Thanks :) Yes, I wanted to shot more or less from the same angle and give it a blown out look as the real picture bellow.

Btw, when you make your own number decal like that, wont it be covered with a default one in certain modes? I always like to do my own decal but sometimes I'm afraid that all that hard work is going to get ruined by in some game modes.

@Tekku Yes. In this car, it will. Usually, the first thing I do on a livery is going to the racing section and add a number. Then I go to the decals and place a square just below it so it won't be seen. This way, whatever I make as a custom number decal, It will be 100% covered by the automatic one. If I have to compromise somewhere, I compromise on the number placed on the bonnet.

For some specific liveries, I go for 100% realistic so I ignore what I wrote above. :) That's what I did with the Aston. I might make another version with a smaller number decal if I end up racing with this car a lot.

Last edited:

Epic.

And now for something rather less epic....

3AE25C24-2904-4047-A28F-79118F6B1AC1.jpeg
CDBB992B-EB5F-4D90-B9F3-82EF177FFC68.jpeg
0501DA0E-B4E3-41AC-9E7F-A3D9E6B35E3D.jpeg
A0512ABB-70C4-4664-8800-B938874DEC65.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back