GT5 = Need more Trucks

• Thread starter Saber123
  • 146 comments
When I first put in GT4 I went to the ford dealership and seen the f-150 SVT lightning and thougth wtf is this doin here.

Now I Love Trucks and I would love to see Truck Dragracing but they need more trucks.

If anyone has ever driven a big f-250 with the 6.0l powerstroke diesel you know the civic next to you with the fartcan and engine thats revving so loudly is about to eat your dust and you smile because he thinks is little car is the fastest thing at the lights and then you crush his littleworld.:)

And now that Diesel truck racing is coming mainstream I would love to see Diesel drags. that and more truck races. I know most of you love cars (and I do) but more truck centered races would be a nice addition.

I invite you to visit my thread about the possibility of more trucks in GT5: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68162 .

What are you talking about trucks don't have a place in GT5? Only exception to the rule would be massive SUVs (i.e., no Hummer, Cadillac, or Lincoln SUVs). I don't know about big rigs, but did you know there is a such thing as big rig truck racing? America used to have its own series until it folded (called STRANA).

This is the website of the Dodge Ram SRT-10: http://www.dodge.com/srt-10
Now the Chevrolet Silverado SS: http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2006/chevrolet/ss/intro.html
And a little truck called... uh, Lightning: http://www.svt.ford.com/svtArchiveLightning.asp (follow directions for site.)

That's one of the such examples which proves that trucks can be just as great performers as cars. There isn't a rule in automobile culture which says that trucks aren't supposed to be performance machines. I don't think they are relegated to hauling construction equipment or treading in the forest, so what makes you think automobile designers aren't supposed to build a truck that can perform? Don't talk about how sad trucks are in GT unless you're talking about the Toyota Tacoma X-Runner. I'm sorry. That's not a truck... that's a car in the body of a truck. Trust me. Tune up the Tacoma X-Runner. Lower the truck and give it Stage 3 Weight Reduction. When fully lightened, it weighs just over 3,000 lbs. For a truck, that's pretty damn light. I've even taken my Tacoma to the Japanese Championship and won the championship against Imprezas and Skylines.

Fun, isn't it? Well, more trucks would provide more fun for GT fans. Something GT teaches you is that you don't always have to have a sports car to (1) enjoy tuning cars, and (2) enjoy racing. The Mini Cooper certainly proved its worth back in the 1960s and 1970s. I think the Dodge Ram SRT10 went as fast as 157mph, which was a world record for a production truck. Also think of it this way, you get the Viper motor, just not in the Viper. The SVT Lightnings still remain solid. I would like to see the Silverado SS rather than just the concept. I'd likely include the Silverado SS and that concept that looks like a NASCAR truck. On the Japanese front, I would offer not only the Toyota Tacoma X-Runner, I'd even add their Tundra. Nissan's Titan is also a bad mamma jamma. Mitsubishi's first pickup in a while is the all-new Raider. That would add some extra appeal. You can debate at will if you think the Honda Ridgeline should be included. On the European front, more Land Rover vehicles for the dedicated off-roader would be nice. The Volkswagen Touareg and its Dakar variant would add a nice touch as well. In fact, I'd include trucks and Dakar race "cars." I quote "cars" because stuff like the VW Touareg and BMW X5 are considered "Cars" in the Paris-Dakar Rally, whereas "Trucks" are more like these big ass garbage disposal trucks or transporters. Oh, I forgot to mention one certain SUV I think would be nice to include- the lovely Lexus RX SUVs ( http://www.lexus.com/models/rx_gateway.html ). I don't know about you, but I consider Lexuses to be very beautiful automobiles. Their RX SUV class are certainly beautiful and sporty.

So, I'd keep the trucks and just add to it. And I always thought trying new things was a GOOD thing...

There is a place for trucks in GT, it isn't a big one though. I mean sure there can be more than there was in GT4, and more than just one competition for them, but they'll always only make up a very, very small percentage of the vehicles in GT. They accounted for around 1% in GT4 which may be a bit low, but it'll never be anything significant in relation to the rest of the game.

i'd either like to see NO trucks- and thus more vehicles (add your wish list here :) )

Or a position that is more in line with John's - make the trucks a part of the game so that they actually add to it, and so that your able to get more of a sense of what the racing side of trucks is. Unfortunaly though, i'd be a little upset to see game space put towards a racing truck.

I'm not happy with the way trucks were in GT4 - something you had to do to get on with the game, Thankfully though i think they can improve this easily, although it will way heavly on the direction the game will take; more pure "racecar" racing, or a well rounded Racing game

I'm personally kind of with the majority view. Frankly to me, racing trucks is rather like racing walruses. :sly:

However, truck racing is a growing sport, and some of the guys here like it, so why not add more of it?

I just really don't see the appeal of pathetic, heavy, poor handling trucks occupying the time of developers who are having to take longer and longer to make just one vehicle. Those trucks don't have much appeal outside of the US either. Far better to add in worthwhile features than the sideshow that is the truck racing bit.

yes I really liked the fact that they put trucks in GT4, but given the *cough* selection and only 1 truck based event it seemed to be more of an afterthought than anything. I would definitely like to see a broader range of them in the future!

my own first truck was a beastly '76 chevy that a friend had given me. Of course I had to do tons to it... put in a used 305, new tranny, universal joints, exhaust, U-bolts on the rear axle, as well as leaf springs... spring kits on the brakes, rotors turned... basically built myself a truck from the existing frame & body. It was loud, it was hideous, and I loved it. but it sucked down gas and would not pass any emissions tests, and wasn't worth it to me to have it registired an an historic vehicle to bypass the e-check regulations so I sold it for about what i put into it.

Still, I would definitely like to see more trucks in the game ;)

The argument that putting more truck things in GT5 takes time and work away from more race worthy stuff is valid. But assuming that all the work done on GT4 was also work done on the higher def GT5 means that a lot of GT5 is done already, so squeezing in some things unpopular to many like trucks and ancient cars like the Model T wouldn't really hurt all that much.

Besides the fact that I find truck racing to be lackluster, it does edge closer to that dreaded "NASCAR" area I'd rather not see included in any Gran Turismo game, even though it's hugely popular in America.

I don't think PD created car models for GT5 when they were doing GT4, the simple truth is they didn't have the PS3's spec's when they started modelling the car's for GT4 so they'd have been taking a big gamble at how much under/over they'd be missing the mark on what the PS3 was capable of. Also and I've taken this from a 3d modeller, it's easier to creat two seperate models that to reduce the poly count of one by over 50%, say GT5's cars are each over 15k poly's, which they probably will be that's already make them well over twice as poly heavy as GT4's models. I'm guessing the cars will be closer to 40k poly's each, reducing a 40k poly car to uinder 10k poly's is a bloody lot of work. And also, as I said, they didn't have the PS3's dev kit to test what it was capable on until a couple of month's before the Japanese release for GT4, so I do doubt thoes rumours. What I think PD have done, is taken all the nessisary data from things like car testing and track mapping ect to be used for GT5, so they don't have to re-test everything again exept maybe new car's and tracks that they didn't get to done for GT4.

Well true. Utes would really be sweet. In fact, some of you may agree that perhaps there should be a Ute championship. For the American types, add the Chevrolet El Camino and Ford Ranchero, and we have a Ute battle going. Now, if you want REAL Utes, go to Holden. Go to HSV. Go to Ford Australia. Go to FPV (if they have any Utes). Let's not forget some of Brazil's Utes. Add in a few Brute Ute race machines. To me, I'd be interested in trucks AND utes.

To me, I've always believed that GT games have been about a love of tuning and finding a performer in ANY vehicle. Wait... any commercially-available consumer vehicle. So they can put in anything like the BMW Isetta, Campagna Motorsports T-Rex three-wheeler, or even the Saleen S7 Turbo... it's all about tuning. If you want a novelty vechicle that was a sweet surprise, look for the Nissan Skyline GT-R Pace Car. In my view, that car was a Drift Car in Pace Car drag. I could slide the tail out and enjoy sideways racing. GT4 probably tried to come up with a wide variety of vehicles so that you can enjoy racing and tuning in anything you race. I haven't played GT4 in a while, but two of my latest "project cars" are both Hondas- the Element, and the Odyssey. Do I care if I could have spent my credits on a legitimate sports car than a soccer mom vehicle? You know me... couldn't care less. There is no such thing as a useless car. If you can't tune it, buy/earn it, or take it to a race track for testing or racing, only then is it useless. I personally enjoyed racing something outside of usual cars. It doesn't mean I hate cars, it's just nice to try something different.

Now for the comment on "racing these trucks is more like racing NASCAR cars..." I can see where you're going with this, but I don't necessarily think so. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but if a car isn't good, that's why you tune up a car. Tune something up and be able to turn crap into cool. Just because it isn't a race car out the box doesn't mean you can't make it into one. Enthusia Professional Racing had vans and stuff and apparentely no one complained (at least I know of), so why GT4? Try something different. Only change I'd suggest to trucks (especially pickups) is the option to let down the rear of the truck (tailgate?) so you get better rear-end aerodynamics. Either that, or I'd think of a semi-Racing Modification in which you put a camper or something over the truck bed so you can maybe put on a rear wing on the truck.

The latest performance truck recently out was the Dodge Ram with the tall spoiler in old-school trim. Trucks can be performance machines even if they can't shelve Ferraris or go past 200 mph or 300 kph. Trucks aren't sports cars. But then, they don't have to be. You can always make them performers, and I thought this is what GT was about- a love of tuning and racing. But I guess I have to love sports cars to love GT4. I guess I have to be like everybody else and just care only about sports cars. I guess individuality doesn't equate to a better game. I guess trucks were only made for travelling cross-country and hauling equipment than actually being used for some racing. Gosh... some of you didn't learn your lesson with Kei cars, now this? I thought change or something new was GOOD...

I would welcome more trucks, and yes, even big buggers like the Hummer (hell they have the Oddessy and Avantime in there...why not?). I'd even welcome many more Land Rover style vehicles, give me a Grand Jeep Cheroke any day, y'know broaden Gran Turismo's appeal, if they can do it with Formula 1 cars they can do it with trucks.

With GT4, as it's been said, trucks were pretty pathetic in impact. If they could make it more of an open thing in GT5 they could be a great part of the game, why have normal road cars that can't all be tuned up to 700BHP and raced if people are going to say "trucks suck, they don't go fast (which is a lie)" for that very reason. GT is the real DRIVING simulator, not the real RACING simulator, granted racing is the focus, but so is tuning and collecting the cars you probably won't get close to affording for real. If people want more trucks, I say PD should listen.

I have a feeling that since Gran Turismo is such a huge hit in America and Europe, Polyphony will include more than a handful of trucks like they did in GT4, which I agree was rather sad.

I fully expect that there will be around 1000 vehicles or more in GT5, and if Vision GT comes out with the PS3, then 800-900 vehicles. And though there undoubtedly won't be that many, I think 15-30 of them will be trucks, along with the Land Rovers and Hummers.

And l4s, you're right. Serious modellers don't use polygon reduction techniques because of the unpleasant things it can do to their models.

id be willing to drop every ute in GT4 in a heartbeat for any one of dozens of other cars that we dont have

except the midget , that thing is cool fully worked

& the vans & SUV's & wagons . that old volvo wagon has to be the ugliest car in the game

ok some cars deserve to be dropped , like a few models of the modern Lancers & Skylines - but replace them with the classic & important cars that have been excluded

the 50's , 60's & 70's are under-represented ! - seriously , for the work involved the wagons & vans are a waste of time

Saber123, you know what, racing is racing but trucks and utility vehicles just don[t go with the heart and soul of the game. Yes its interesting to see a wide variety of racing cars but it is a game mainly concering GT cars. Always has been.Think Gt1 and Gt2 classes at Le Mans.....if you know what that is...👍

Well, would you take a Mini Cooper to Le Mans to match up against LMPs and GTPs? Okay, how about the HKS Drifting S15 Silvia? What about even a 1967 Mercury Cougar? I'm not mad when I type this, but not everyone thinks of Le Mans for something not really designed for it. Even tuning has its limits. You can basically tune up a car to be about one or two levels ahead of what it's normally accustomed to. You can give a 2003 Honda Accord a bit more horsepower to have about as much horsepower as some muscle cars. It doesn't mean that it will beat the muscle cars, but you can make it compete on a certain level. As far as trucks go, they weren't made to outrun sports cars. Name me one production truck that can do 200 mph or more. Exactly. This goes back to my point about trucks are more like casual and lifestyle vehicles than all-out sports cars. You can have this kind of fun in GT games. Part of GT's appeal is racing in almost any class you can, as long as you have a chance to win in that class. Doesn't mean you have to blow out the competition, just do your best and carry your end of the deal. So, it's perfectly fine if you want to take your SVT Lightning to the track in a Family Cup deal against other trucks. GT isn't all about the high-profile races. Have a little fun outside of bigtime racing. It's there for you, and you're just neglecting it all. It's not the end of the world because trucks are in a simulation racing game that doesn't involve tearing up the backwoods. Then too, take trucks to traditional tracks (Wow... a little literary element there. Aliteration, I believe). Anyways, trucks aren't all that bad. I'm sure even our own "BlazinXtreme" (Bionic Xtreme nowadays) can tell you this.

While the 2003 Chevrolet SSR is considerably a truck, it's more car like. It's more of a unique automobile. Even though I don't think it's selling well, you don't see too many convertible trucks. I think if PD wanted to give truck fans a little more trucks, then I think they'll provide a number of trucks to cater to truck fans. I'm not a truck fanatic, but I do think they were pretty interesting to race in GT4, especially the Toyota Tacoma X-Runner. It's about the most car-like truck in ANY racing game. Not so much in looks, but in driving dynamics, style, and just overall meanness. It's a great truck to race in the game, and with tuning, you can create a monster and really make some noise against anyone who thinks trucks can't be performance machines. To me, it's a love of tuning and finding racing fun in anything in the game. If it has wheels and a motor, as long as it's commercially-available and can perform, I'm for it regardless.

JohnBM01 , you types 3 times the amount needed to make your point

GT isnt about trucks , & untill every car that deseves to be in the game is added , utes & wagons & vans should be a no-show

There is really little point in adding them to GT. I've used a Ram for photomode and the Lightning to do the championship and they are utterly crap. Ooooh they have loads of horsepower. Big deal.

Back