GT5 = Need more Trucks

• Thread starter Saber123
  • 146 comments
Tenacious D
I'm personally kind of with the majority view. Frankly to me, racing trucks is rather like racing walruses. :sly:

However, truck racing is a growing sport, and some of the guys here like it, so why not add more of it?

same here racin trucks isnt my thing:sly: i rather stick to my nissan 240 sx silvia sileighty etc but for those who enjoy it more power 2 ya 👍

I've stated several times that I'm not a hardcore trucker. But I do like to try new things, including racing pickup trucks. I always say that you can always tune up a car you don't like. If you forget about this, then you aren't going to enjoy racing too much.

Someone came off with a thread called "Essentials" or anything. If you want trucks, they'll need more high-performance models like the Dodge Ram SRT10. Perhaps even include the Toyota Tundra and the Nissan Titan. More Dakar SUVs (called "Cars" in the Paris-Dakar Rally) would be nice for rally racing. I think PD can look into bigtime off-road racing, not specifically Paris-Dakar, but open-area places to compliment these machines.

One of my favorite pasttimes is to take the Dodge RAM onto a snow course and drive it around for a bit. Actually, one of my favorite pasttimes is to stick offroad tires onto just about anything and drive it around for a bit (even though I suck horribly at snow courses).

If I find out that GT5 is going to be nothing but supercars racing, I will not buy the game. To me, that is boring and repetitive. I don't care if the "theme" of the GT series is supposed to be about cars and highspeed racing. I want to race a damn truck around a damn rally course.

I don't think the RX-7 or Evolution 9 are considered supercars, so you seem to be safe in buying the game when it's released. ;)

ooooh baby Evo 9...*ahem* yea it's hardly 100% super cars...lol

Concept
Road (from hatchback to saloon)
Super Cars
Race Cars
Rally Cars (lets face it they aren't exactly race cars in the same sense)

I do expect Gran Turismo 5 to be a smattering of automotive history, going back to those blistering fast - ahem - one horsepower steam driven infernal machines. :D

Including some vintage autos from 1900 on up, but including several more trucks at the very least. I can't imagine this version not including elements from every GT and then some.

First if all, I'd like to say that the term "trucks" is a bit confusing for people outside of the US. :confused: When I hear the word "truck", I'm thinking of big rigs. That said, even some of those have a place in GT in my opinion.

I've been a fan of the GT-series since the beginning, and I've played countless hours on all the incarnations up to GT4. What do I like about this series? The fact that I can choose between a huge number of cars (good & bad) and take them for a virtual spin if I want to. :D I also like the fact that I can take these cars out on gravel or snow (well, most of them anyway...) and (more recently) the fact that I can customise the car a bit by changing the rims (and add an ugly spoiler :lol:). I admit, the fact the new Photomode feature was a blessing for me!!!

I, for one, welcome the addition of (more) pick-ups, SUV's and rally vehicles, and I'd like to see even more of those. Better that, than 40 diffirent Skylines... :lol:

Just to give you guys an example of a big rig that wouldn't look out of place in GT, I'm posting the pic below. It's a rig from the company "Daf", a Dutch manufacturer, that has been run in the famous Dakar-rally in the 80's. Before any of you are going to flame me on this, I have to add that this thing was faster than the official works cars from Peugeot who dominated the event in those days! :eek:

jr7gop.jpg

This is what Peugeot had entered! (Also an idea for GT5! :lol:)

peugeot-405-t16-rallycar.jpg

More trucks, SUV's, and vans are needed!! I don't see the big problem with them, they can just as easily be souped up for racing as any other vehicle. If they gave you more exterior mods you could make them look like a sports truck. Also, whoever thinks that just because some of them are slow aren't looking at the big picture. There are plenty of slow cars that are included in the game, why not ***** about those as well. I admit i don't rally race much, but i wouldn't want to get rid of it. Finally, enough with the debate on the Renault Espace. Why not open another forum just for that and allow everyone else to focus on the forum topic?

the only trucks i would want to see would be Dakar types (as long as there is a huge desert for point to point time races with hazards like rock faces and sand dunes....

also would like truck trials :D do a google sear on that if you dont know what im talking about ;)

but other than that, hell no, please no pick-up trucks........cant stand those things......or SUV's (the original Land Rover doesnt count, not the new crap ones, they are real offroaders....fit almost with the Dakar trucks)

My only recommendation for pickup trucks is that you let down the tailgate. Otherwise, the rear-end downforce in a regular pickup just slows you down in the back. Either let the tailgate down, or much like selecting wings for cars, maybe look for a suitable camper or truck bed cover to improve rear-end downforce at speed.

FWA2500
the only trucks i would want to see would be Dakar types (as long as there is a huge desert for point to point time races with hazards like rock faces and sand dunes....

also would like truck trials :D do a google sear on that if you dont know what im talking about ;)

but other than that, hell no, please no pick-up trucks........cant stand those things......or SUV's (the original Land Rover doesnt count, not the new crap ones, they are real offroaders....fit almost with the Dakar trucks)

Can't say the new Range Rover Stormer/Sport is crap, whilst it's not really offroader, it's been described as a tall GT car...surely that deserves some place.

I've always thought Land Rovers were more like civilized off-roaders and not rip-up-the-off-road-in-my-big-ass-SUV off-roaders. I think the first SUVs in the GT series included stuff like the Pajero Mini (Mitsubishi) and the Forester (Subaru). They are described as SUVs, so that's why I stated that. I would like to see those RX-class SUVs from Lexus. Those are lovely machines, especially the newer ones.

I find no problem with having trucks in the game. Yes they may sometimes be big but they can also be fast. My '99 Chevy Tahoe has the stock 255hp 5.7 V8 and can go 0-60 in under 7 seconds, which is pretty good for a vehicle weighing almost 2 tons. Also, here's the perfect truck for the game:
snowpho1.jpg

The Antarctic Snow Cruiser, built for a trip to the south pole. 55 feet long, 16 feet high, 20 feet wide, weighed 37.5 tons. It ran with two 150hp Cummins six cylinder engines and four 75 electric motors producing 600hp total!

JohnBM01
I've always thought Land Rovers were more like civilized off-roaders and not rip-up-the-off-road-in-my-big-ass-SUV off-roaders. I think the first SUVs in the GT series included stuff like the Pajero Mini (Mitsubishi) and the Forester (Subaru). They are described as SUVs, so that's why I stated that. I would like to see those RX-class SUVs from Lexus. Those are lovely machines, especially the newer ones.

No people don't use Land Rovers to go off roading, they like to drive them around saying they have alot of money, and ****ing are inviroment up.

Treshold
The only purpose trucks have in motor sports is to haul the cars around.
NO! Theres soo many different motorsports with truck racing. truck racing is awsome, fast, and pretty damn popular if you go to the right places. That statement of yours, proved to all of us, and everyone reading, that you know **** about motorsports.

I think if PD were to pursue true big rig racing, they can always look into trouble-causing, all-American wheels of steel Big Rigs... or they can look to the European types. An example of the different companies that have raced in big rig competition include (but not limited to):

Mercedes-Benz
Volvo
Scania
MAN Truck and Bus

Those are only four companies I can best think of. I'm not sure if Caterpillar or International has racing rigs or not. By the way, some even call the genre of racing as "Super Truck Racing."

Hey, if we're gonna include commercial vehicles....

excl_20050913lg.jpg

We want to race The Truck. People love The Truck.

official terminology:

UPS Big Brown Truck '06

Threshold
The only purpose trucks have in motor sports is to haul the cars around.

Geez!

If you don't like trucks, and don't want trucks in GT5, why bother going into a thread which is about people discussing which trucks they would like to see in GT5...

...no. No UPS truck. Let's not give NASCAR "fanboys" the big brown truck. If it was in GT4, it would probably be a "Special Vehicle" since the driver is visible and since there's no doors to a UPS truck. A UPS-sponsored vehicle shouldn't be counted out, though. Perhaps the most popular UPS-sponsored race car is in the Porsche Cup or whatever it's called. You'll have to hope there is a UPS-sponsored Ruf if you want something close enough.

Dakar machinery would be a nice deal for trucks. Another nice mention are the trucks that race in Championship Off-Road Racing (CORR). Ivan "Iron Man" Stewart's Toyota like the one here: { http://www.protruck.com/trophy.html } would be a nice fit for GTPlanet. The "Iron Man's" Toyota isn't the only Toyota racing truck I'd want to see. I'd still would love to see the Toyota Tacoma Pikes Peak { http://www.rodmillen.com/PPtacoma.htm }. This was the truck that took it to the Suzuki Escudos back in 1999 and came within hairs of cracking the sub-10 minute mark a year later. It is an awesome machine.

Include either, and I'll be happy. Include both, and I'll want to race them to death do us part. There are a good number of trucks worthy or capable of getting some spotlight. And oh yeah... no UPS truck. No ice cream truck. Nothing in the realm of commercial vehicles for me.

Aww, no ice cream trucks?? John, you're turning into a grinch. ;)

But considering the direction Gran Turismo is heading, I'd think that a truck race or two is a no brainer. Heck, I wouldn't be flabberghasted if semi's were in the game. Close to it... :D

These are the only trucks I will allow.

Chevrolet Xtreme
GMC Typhoon
GMC Syclone
Ford Lightning
Dodge Rumble Bee
Dodge Ram Daytona
Toyota X-Runner

i only see 3 truck with any performance value, the others are just body kits and paint.

My only recommendation for pickup trucks is that you let down the tailgate. Otherwise, the rear-end downforce in a regular pickup just slows you down in the back. Either let the tailgate down, or much like selecting wings for cars, maybe look for a suitable camper or truck bed cover to improve rear-end downforce at speed.

it has been proven that putting the tailgate down on a truck does absolutly nothing to reduce drag on the truck and i think it actually hurts performance. trucks are designed in a way that with the tailgate up that the air just goes right over it.

i say more trucks. more everything. all the people that dont want trucks in the game are probally the same ones that think space needs to be freed up to get more skylines in. theres another thread about drifting and everybody hinks thats ok. personally id rather see truck racing than drifting. and yes semi truck racing too, how about the bring back the pikes peak, make it an actual race this time, and put the semis in from that. how about some baja races, that would be fun. or that racing the do on iceland, is that the same as trial racing, they race almost straight up in insane jeeps, broncos and anything else, while trying to run a course and not knowck down any cones. sometimes they make it other time the tunble back down the hill.

How about a Tonneau Cover modification for the trucks? that way, the drag problem is solved in a stylish way.

Back