GT5 = Need more Trucks

• Thread starter Saber123
  • 146 comments
That truck racing game on PS2 was dull though. GT fails to excite 9 times out of 10, until you start doing stuff like drifting so why add more superfluous stuff?

Look, get the m:censored:f:censored off my ass about how long my posts are. Prove a point any way you can. You got nothing special to do, so take a read. You might learn something.

My only thing is, I wouldn't say it needs trucks. Just that it would be interesting and cool to feature these. I've only supported this idea because there are some performance trucks out there. Maybe not everyone wants to own the fastest, most exclusive car. And like I said... people didn't complain about trucks and stuff in Enthusia Professional Racing, or at least I know of. So why GT? Simply put, I don't think it needs trucks, but if you're going to include them, at least get the Dodge Ram SRT10- the fastest production truck in the world, if not the fastest pickup. A truck doesn't have to mean hauling or off-roading. Don't like trucks and stuff, how do you explain the Renault Espace F1 in GT2? People didn't complain then. People weren't like "oh, a hotrod van. Snore..." I don't advocate or market trucks in GT games, but it was a fun touch to me.

Do you think Trophy Trucks (like for example, the Pro-2 and Pro-4 trucks in the Championship Off Road Racing (CORR) series) would be a plus for truck racing fans? Again, I think GT's been about community and a common love for tuning and racing. Trucks may be big and tall, but it doesn't mean they have to be... just there. Besides, at least you're using these things for purposes other than crashing cars, committing Hollywood-like stunts, and... uh... evading police on open roads. Some people DO race and modify trucks you know... and not just for off-road. I don't know. Some people just MAKE the series boring.

JohnBM01 , its not about learning something , i couldnt care less because i have my own opinion

its about you making 3 paragraphs when 1 could get your point across & more people would probably read the whole thing

reading is 25% harder on CRT screens than print - most people dont spend all day on the net reading other peoples opinions - they skim . if your to the point you'll get your message across 10x more effectivly

& the Renault Espace was a hotrod - it wasnt a minivan

minivans are boring & they suck & they also dont belong in GT - when there are dozens of classic & modern cars that aren't but should be

They put the wrong Dodge Ram in they needed the Sport SRT-10, that fastest stock pick up truck. And they better have the ridgeline in there or i'm gonna be pulling some of you peoples hair tonight.

Badsight
JohnBM01 , its not about learning something , i couldnt care less because i have my own opinion

its about you making 3 paragraphs when 1 could get your point across & more people would probably read the whole thing

reading is 25% harder on CRT screens than print - most people dont spend all day on the net reading other peoples opinions - they skim . if your to the point you'll get your message across 10x more effectivly

& the Renault Espace was a hotrod - it wasnt a minivan

minivans are boring & they suck & they also dont belong in GT - when there are dozens of classic & modern cars that aren't but should be
1st point, there's nothing wrong with JohnBM01's posts, if you don't like them that much, put him on your ignore list, it's no skin of John's back.

2nd point, the Espace F1 is neither hotrod nor a minivan, and John didn't say it was either.

Hmmm... i do believe the correct term for the Espace is People carrier or MPV or something similer along those line's, i have no idea what the american term for it would be?.

I dont think they should be there either, but its nice to see the greatest amount of vehicles, regardless of what they are, in the game.

Everybody complains about cars that arent there that should be, whether or not the trucks and suvs are has no bearing on whether ferraris, lambos, or porsches are going to be in the game, so I say welcome the trucks, even if they are crap to drive.

maybe NASCAR trucks, and if that, more Ovals, and NASCAR cars in the first place. I know, I know, it still would be cool to race a Ford Fusion around the Nurburgring, though, wouldn't it? Think about it, you could race it anywhere. Also this game needs Mosport Park, Canada, VIR, Barber Motorsports Park and Watkins Glen.

Dave

live4speed
1st point, there's nothing wrong with JohnBM01's posts, if you don't like them that much, put him on your ignore list, it's no skin of John's back.

2nd point, the Espace F1 is neither hotrod nor a minivan, and John didn't say it was either.
1st point , i wasnt talking to you - all i said to john is that he's taking 3 times the amount needed to get his point across

2nd - only a retard would actually think i was meaning the Espace is an actuall hot-rod in the literall sense , i dont know how you could

of course the thing is a van - but with a F1 V10 - thus hotrodded . its not hard to see points without getting anal over word definitions

btw - no-one complained about the espace that i saw either - it was fun to drive . normall mini-vans however , are not

Here's my thing. I could explain things in only a few sentences, but I tend to express things because I don't have the "keep it simple, stupid" thing. What's more important- getting a point across, or typing "long posts?" I get points across regardless. The requirements for being a GTP member doesn't require you have to be an English major (I'm a Communications major), but it is a good idea to get your point across. I'm just an expressive person. I think going into broader details increases an understanding of what's being discussed. And I've simply discussed the main points I tried to focus in on. I want people to understand me, not undermine me. Then too, I'd like to add comments because you just simply type stuff up and expect lowlifes to read it and get on with their day.

I still remember watching that one Speed Channel show "Sports Car Revolution" whereas a Honda Odyssey was matched up against a Plymouth Superbird (I believe) in an Autocross. Even with a few extra people onboard the Odyssey, it was still faster on the Autocross. Vans and such weren't designed for Autocross, but it doesn't mean it was only made for hauling groceries or carry kids soiled in grass and mud from a soccer game. By the way, note the show I mentioned and the name of it. The Odyssey isn't a sports car, but it was matched up against a muscle car in an Autocross. That's the thing. It's possible to tune up cars to be able to compete in race events. Nobody said vans of any kind can't be modified for racing. I thought it was fun tuning up vans and trucks. It doesn't mean that I have horrible taste in cars, I just do this for fun. Would you believe me if I said that I did some Family Cup and street car-based races in GT4 with my Tacoma X-Runner and Odyssey? Sure, I could get a real car and win the race in something more sane and common. Part of GT's glamour is imagination. Think about it. You have a chance to take a car not otherwise suited for racing, and make it something special. You don't need to have these cars and trucks if you don't want to, but if you want to try something different, go for it.

As I think about it, though... it's okay to race a 1998 Ford Taurus, but it's a sin to people to modify a truck. What makes a truck or van any different from a measely Ford Taurus from 1998? Even "all-business, no crap" me has to break away a little bit. I want to be diverse personally and with my virtual garage. Doesn't hurt you to own a van or a truck in a racing game, much less tune one up. I try to have fun in GT4 whenever I can and however I can. I don't see that changing for GT5 unless GT5 ends up being worse than GT2. Again, more trucks would be interesting, but no real need for more. And that's just how it goes.

Keep on typing big John, like you say make a point any way you can.

Anywho, I still haven't seen any valid excuse to cut pick-ups/SUVs or 'trucks' out of the game. If you want a game with nothing but souped up road cars and race cars...go get Need for Speed or something...if you want a game that actually has variety and lives up to "Driving" simulator, go with the flow.

Is John still defending his position??

Guys, Gran Turismo has always had a little pocket of races that are a little off the usual path. But part of the reason is that some people like to do non-traditional things. I think the Japanese are racing freaks. I believe I saw a video over at my racer relative's house where they were racing motorized toilets in Tokyo. If that were in GT5, I'd try that. :dopey:

Some of this is always in Gran Turismo. There's always a little gob of races for the touch of variety. Just, not toilets.

These threads are all about wishing anyway. If Kazunori-sama was going to take our ideas and add them to GT5, I'd still say, include all these truck ideas. There aren't going to be all that many and they're usually not that hard to get out of the way. Along with the racing beds and toilets, if there are any. :D

Trucks have 4 wheels and an engine. They deffinatly deserve to be in GT. I don't get why people don't want them in. It can make interesting racing, its something different.
I'd really like to see some Australian utes. Some of the most interesting races I've seen are ute races, even if the drivers have little skill compared to a touring car, F1 or GT car driver.

And you know, I'll keep defending my position until I'm dead. I'm only supplying my own commentary in a way I know I'l get my voice across. The only true disagreement would be saying trucks are needed. Like you learn in Sociology, there are needs and wants. Needs indicate essentials anything can't live without. Wants indicate things people can't live without, but aren't necessary to any means of survival or satisfaction. I think the balance of pickups in GT4 was rather shafted with the Dodge Ram. The Hemi Ram is good, but the Ram SRT10 would have really made the truck ranks better. Don't tell me that trucks are big and heavy with no actual performance besides hauling. I personally wouldn't want to see stuff like heavy-duty trucks. Something that is generally light and can perform is fine enough terms of trucks. Yeah, you dig a brother? I wouldn't want to see heavy duty trucks.

Here's a few websites you can check out on traditional American trucks:
http://www.dodge.com/dodge_life/news/truck_news/srt10_world_record.html (Dodge Ram SRT-10's record)
http://www.corracing.com/ (Championship Off Road Racing)
http://www.score-international.com/index.html (SCORE Championship Series)
http://www.score-international.com/baja1000/index.ihtml (SCORE Championship Series - Baja 1000)
http://www.motortrend.com/features/travel/112_0304_baja/ (Motor Trend on How to Survive the Baja 1000)

Now some sites on most other truck-type racing series:
http://www.racetothesky.com/ (Silverstone's "Race to the Sky" event)
http://www.ppihc.com/ (Pikes Peak International Hill Climb)
http://www.dakar.com/ (Paris-Dakar Rally) (FRA)
http://www.dakar.com/indexus.html (Paris-Dakar Rally) (ENG)

Carry on discussion if you like.

<_Spike_>
Exactly, cars don't have to be small, light, sleek and aerodynamic to have fun in and race to win in.

Next to Lawn mower racing, cars are pretty damn big, heavy, aerodynamically challenged but I have to admit a little bit more fun. :dopey:

Badsight
1st point , i wasnt talking to you - all i said to john is that he's taking 3 times the amount needed to get his point across

2nd - only a retard would actually think i was meaning the Espace is an actuall hot-rod in the literall sense , i dont know how you could

of course the thing is a van - but with a F1 V10 - thus hotrodded . its not hard to see points without getting anal over word definitions

btw - no-one complained about the espace that i saw either - it was fun to drive . normall mini-vans however , are not

Nope. The Espace F1 is an F1 car drivetrain with a lightweight, Espace-look-a-like body on it, not an Espace with an F1 engine in it.

Might I suggest you throttle back on the attitude? I can guarantee you're already on the mod-dar screens, and calling other people retards because you can't express yourself properly is not going to help.

Badsight
the Renault Espace was a hotrod - it wasnt a minivan

Badsight
only a retard would actually think i was meaning the Espace is an actuall hot-rod in the literall sense , i dont know how you could

Yeah, how could anyone think you meant that the Renault Espace (F1) was a hotrod? I mean, it's not like those were your exact words or anything...

Settle down.

Famine
Nope. The Espace F1 is an F1 car drivetrain with a lightweight, Espace-look-a-like body on it, not an Espace with an F1 engine in it.

Might I suggest you throttle back on the attitude? I can guarantee you're already on the mod-dar screens, and calling other people retards because you can't express yourself properly is not going to help.

Yeah, how could anyone think you meant that the Renault Espace (F1) was a hotrod? I mean, it's not like those were your exact words or anything...

Settle down.
well , i also was not talking to you - but i digress , no one was called a retard - i said only a retard would think i meant it literally that the Espace is a Hot-Rod . anyone with any interest in american cars can tell you what a Hot-Rod is like . & the Espace is nothing like that

if you want to think i literally was trying to say something that stupid then i guess YOU yourself would fall into the catagory that i named

JohnBM01
People weren't like "oh, a hotrod van. Snore..." .
now Famine , are you going to jump all over john as well for his assumption that "people" would think the Espace was a van hot-rod ?

no , because you are not so dumb as to think John was meaning that - your just stirring the effluent with your inane post to me

Badsight, if you're going to start an argument and flame on people, then you're only shooting yourself in the foot because someone can be reading your recent posts and think you're only being a threat to people. You need to calm down. We're not here to hurt you, and neither am I.

Now look... we've gone from the notion that GT5 could use a few more trucks to sort of expand the truck base for truck fans in performance racing, all the way to an argument. I've only proven that trucks aren't worthless pieces of metal. You want to talk about how I've defended Utes and wagons and is only disgracing GT games? Would you be surprised if I told you that there are people who do take trucks and go racing? There's some rally racing, drag racing, maybe even some road racing with trucks. It doesn't mean we have nothing better to do. It just means that we kind of want to try something new. I can remember playing "RUSH 2: Extreme Racing USA" for the Nintendo 64. Two of the vehicles from the classic RUSH series were two trucks. One was a pickup with the tailgate left down (that's what I would suggest for racing pickup trucks in GT games. It helps in aerodynamics at speed), and the other was an SUV. If GT wanted to be truly realistic in including SUVs, there would be that sense of trying to control the vehicle so that it doesn't roll on its hood killing someone or severely damaging the thing. So for you to race an SUV in some other game (for example: Escalades in "Need for Speed: Underground 2"), then you'd have to learn to control the machine after pounding a curb or something due to an SUV's high center of gravity.

I'd make the best case for diversity and do one better than just trucks. If you look at the Dakar link I have provided, I think there's a link to a list of the competitors who competed in this year's race. Among them in the "Car" class, Volkswagen, Mitsubishi, BMW, and even Hummer. The Mitsubishi Pajero Rally Raid Car was a step in the right direction, so more of these mammoths would make off-road racing more interesting. The ultimate hook would be an open desert-type course where it's just you and almost nothing else around you but sand, dirt, snow, or anything like that. I suggest you do a little reading online of performance trucks. Not just trucks people modified to make them perform better, but also off-the-shelf competitors like the Dodge Ram SRT-10. I won't give sites, just do a Yahoo or Google search on performance trucks. Perhaps you might think that even though many performance trucks and SUVs aren't CARS, they have some statistics that would make ANY performance enthusiast want to hand performance trucks and SUVs a little more respect. I'm not stating anything. It's for you to learn for yourself.

Badsight
well , i also was not talking to you - but i digress , no one was called a retard - i said only a retard would think i meant it literally that the Espace is a Hot-Rod . anyone with any interest in american cars can tell you what a Hot-Rod is like . & the Espace is nothing like that

if you want to think i literally was trying to say something that stupid then i guess YOU yourself would fall into the catagory that i named
You are calling people retards. Your the one who said "The Renault Espace was a hotrod - it wasnt a minivan", how else is anyone supposed to magically interpret that other than, you think the Espace was a hotrod. And I'd bet Famine is a damn sight smarter than you, so you think what that last comment implies about yourself next time you try insulting his intelligence. Get rid of the attitude.

live4speed
You are calling people retards. Your the one who said "The Renault Espace was a hotrod - it wasnt a minivan", how else is anyone supposed to magically interpret that other than, you think the Espace was a hotrod. And I'd bet Famine is a damn sight smarter than you, so you think what that last comment implies about yourself next time you try insulting his intelligence. Get rid of the attitude.
well the Espace F1 wasnt a minivan like the normal espace is , it was hot rodded - in the meaning of the term

of course if your simple you could jump to the conclusion that i meant the Espace was a classic American hot-rod . . . . . . . . . . . but if you did i absolutly have to call you retarded beyond help

you know John wasnt meaning the Espace is a Hot-rod - you know i wasnt meaning the Espace is a hot-rod , you just stirring crap for arguments sake

besides that above comment to you - you cant show me where i called anyone a retard - you dont like to see that term used , fine - but dont try & say i directed it at anyone

JohnBM01 , regardless of their perfomance - i dont think anything offroad should be a part of GT

it should stick to what GT does best - tarmac racing

Badsight
well the Espace F1 wasnt a minivan like the normal espace is , it was hot rodded - in the meaning of the term
Only, it wasn't, to hot-rod a car you need to start with a base model and modify it, the Espace F1 was created ground up. So guess what, your still wrong.

live4speed
Only, it wasn't, to hot-rod a car you need to start with a base model and modify it, the Espace F1 was created ground up. So guess what, your still wrong.
i guess John is too then

regardless of your petty irritation over semantics - the meaning remains

Badsight
well , i also was not talking to you

You made your post in an open forum. If you want to address a single individual, use the Private Message system.

Badsight
but i digress , no one was called a retard - i said only a retard would think i meant it literally that the Espace is a Hot-Rod . anyone with any interest in american cars can tell you what a Hot-Rod is like . & the Espace is nothing like that

As I said, it was your poor choice of words. Let's remind ourselves of them again:

Badsight
the Renault Espace was a hotrod - it wasnt a minivan

You want to flame people because you can't express yourself clearly? Fine.

I hope your second account will be more productive.

Everyone is entitled to debate their viewpoints in this thread without fear of personal insults or attacks, so please everyone just try to stick to the topic in question and refrain from making personal comments, otherwise the thread will be closed.

Badsight, please bear in mind that you are very new to these forums, and that your constructive input is welcome - but derogatory remarks like those you have made in this thread are not. People are entitled to their opinions, whether you think they are 'inane', retarded, or 'effluent stirring' or not... so please bear this in mind in future.

Thanks,
TM

Badsight
JohnBM01 , regardless of their perfomance - i dont think anything offroad should be a part of GT

it should stick to what GT does best - tarmac racing

So you're effectively also saying there should be no rally cars of any kind in the game either? Just road/race cars for the tracks? That would limit variety of the game (something GT has done so well) even more

edit - forgot to mention, SUVs/Trucks etc aren't necessarily off road vehicles ;) (EG Land Rover Stormer/Sport...meant for off-road yeah, but it's about as good off road as a lawnmover is for cutting hair, becomes more of a standard but expensive bigger sports vehicle)

Back