GT5 = Need more Trucks

• Thread starter Saber123
  • 146 comments
/\/\/\/\/\ Totaly agree with you there... I hated the trucks... Every last one of them... I thought they'd be cool to race in the Rally races... Nope. I could possibly see a few SUVs at best, but keep GT about cars and fast things. Every truck in this game sucked... I can't see them being any better in the next one either. Only the F1s are cool, thought they should be real F1s, and LM-Cars are probably the funnest things to drive in the game... But, trucks suck!!!

I think people love performance in racing games than specific types of automobiles. Performance trucks are kind of its genre or sub-genre of automobiles, much less of trucks. These trucks were in the game for a reason- they are performance machines. Only disappointments for trucks in GT4 were no Silverado street model, not to mention the world's fastest pickup truck, the Dodge Ram SRT-10. They would have been stellar additions for truck fans.

My favorite truck is still the Toyota Tacoma X-Runner. It is the lightest of the trucks and is very capable with massive tuning. Trust me on this one.

PaleRider
GT should be about primarely GT-cars, not trucks, tractors, F1, LM-cars or whatewer.

Oh man, no man, no no no not in a million years. If we wipe out all cars except for GT cars, then what will we have left? Sure, the title of the game is GT4 but that doesnt mean only GT cars. I wouldnt want to go from 700+ cars down to some low number, thats ridiculous. Get more trucks in, they are part of the automobiles! If we had a motor carriage that can do absolutely nothing then why cant we have trucks which is actually useable?

PaleRider
GT should be about primarely GT-cars, not trucks, tractors, F1, LM-cars or whatewer.

ok, no truck, or tractors...but why the heck no F1 or LM cars? i hate to say it but those cars are so much more fun to drive. since theyre modified they can handle so much better and are just the better cars to drive. not putting down the regular cars or tuners because theyre just amazing in this game.

F1 and LM cars, please...gimme more!

BMWteamPTG
ok, no truck, or tractors...but why the heck no F1 or LM cars? i hate to say it but those cars are so much more fun to drive. since theyre modified they can handle so much better and are just the better cars to drive. not putting down the regular cars or tuners because theyre just amazing in this game.

F1 and LM cars, please...gimme more!

True 👍

No LM = no point.

Why do people keep insisting GT5 needs SUV's? Do you realize what happens in real life when you try to take a turn doing 60 MPH in a SUV? They flip over! That's why there aren't any "SUV Races". And as far as "Truck Drag Racing" - I think that would be completely boring to most people.

I was watching my tape with 2005 Nürburgring 24h highlights. One vehicle I noticed in the race was a Lexus RX330 or RX400h. To me, that specific Lexus is more car-like than a traditional SUV. I'd rather race the RX330 or RX400h than the FX45 from Lexus' rival, Infiniti. I labeled it as the most beautiful SUV I've ever seen. The RX series of Lexus SUVs are more car-like and more impressive than the LX or GX series of Lexus SUVs, which I don't really like too much.

The RX class of SUVs, especially the latest models, would be SUV's I'd add or would like to see in GT5. I think they even raced Paris-Dakar, but I'm not sure.

i figured i should bring this post back up towards the front so i dont have to start another one. i think the issue of whether or not trucks should be in the Gran Turismo series is still a good debate. you have the one side who doesn't think people should race trucks or that they dont have a place on the race track. the other side believes that no game is complete without the addition of trucks. im afraid i would have to agree with those that welcome trucks to GT. i find that they give a nice mix to the types of vehicles in the game. and yes in real life they are more top-heavy than cars, but from what ive seen in previous GT games, this isn't an issue due to the fact that the vehicles cant tip over, they always stay on their wheels unless they go over a large bump in the road in which case they still land on their wheels. saying that trucks/suv's dont belong on the pavement is like saying FWD's dont belong on the rally tracks, though in the game if you purchase rally tires, then it is possible.

Well, as I stated in the past, one of my favorite automobiles in GT4 was the Toyota Tacoma X-Runner. It's a car in a truck's body. I won the Japanese Championship in GT4 when I re-ran the Japanese Championship. I was challenged by Imprezas and stuff. Still won. I had to tune it and stuff. I've lowered its clearance so that I can get more of the truck to the road rather than trying to road race an off-road truck. I think it did pretty well with Sports tires, though I did try Racing Tires. I had respect for the Ford SVT Lightning since it was one of the first trucks to actually show its strength as a performance truck. The ultimate truck for GT4 would have been the Dodge Ram SRT-10, the fastest truck on Mother Earth. Two dream trucks of mine would be the Toyota Tacoma Pikes Peak piloted by Rod Millen. He was the one who tried to clear the hillclimb in less than 10 minutes. I think he was off by about a few minutes or a few seconds. It was a wicked ass truck. The Dakar truck from Nissan in Enthusia was great to race with in off-road conditions. I was racing that thing around places like Mirage Crossing and Wintertraum. Great machine. Or here's a loose analogy I'll use for this thing- it was as wonderful to race with as the Peugeot 206 WRC.

Now on to the SUV ranks. Only SUV I'd really care is the Lexus RX series. I've considered these as some of my favorite SUVs in style. An RX-Series SUV raced the 24 Hours at the Nürburgring last year or so and finished 55th. Surely the Mazda CX-7 and CX-9 would be wonderful to see and race. These two SUVs will make you forget all about the Mazda Tribute of the 1990s (unless you own a Tribute and love it). Only real SUVs I'd want to see are the Dakar machines in the "Car" class. The key essentials of recent Dakar rallying is the Volkswagen Touareg Dakar racer. I could also make a case for some of the other competitors based on SUVs to be in the game. But NO Hummers whatsoever (even though Hummer did race in Dakar)!

Adding more trucks would increase the diversity of race machines to use. Some people love performance tuning more than just sports cars all the time. So this poses an interesting challenge. You can make a car go fast and win races. Try your knowledge with trucks. And you only had to worry about a few races with trucks. It wasn't like you could compete in a second race series where you had to use trucks. An SVT Lightning One-Make Series would be very interesting. I still don't think Supertruck racing (like the ones raced in Europe by MAN Truck and Bus, Volvo, and the like) could really be in GTHD or GT5. But it does make for a highly unique challenge.

what would be cool is if they actually had a seperate game in the GT series that had all trucks. there could be parts for if you want a sport truck, and there could be parts for if you want an off-road truck. there could be lift and lowering kits, bumpers, wheels, tires, driving lights, hoods, exhuasts, roll bars, side steps, tonneau covers, etc.

^ Hmm...like the 4X4 Evo series, and Test Drive Offroad you say, it could be a possibility. But I wouldn't like it, I don't want to see a GT series split up in two. Let the bikes have all their fun at TT, but as much as possible I like to put as much trucks as they can in the GT series.

true...more trucks should be in the GT game, but if they had a seperate game then there could be more focus on the trucks than anything else. there could be rock climbing courses, back-road trails, mud holes, etc. plus there could be more parts specifically for trucks and a bigger variety of trucks in general. for example, if trucks were in GT5, then there would just be popular sport trucks, and a few popular 4x4s. if it was a seperate series, then you could have small time vehicles like the Wrangler and Cherokee.

-> I hope if I'm not mistaken, back when GT4 was developed in Japan (Motegi?). I've seen notable core SUV's and 4X4's awaiting for road testing:

- Jeep (Euro) Cherokee [aka. Liberty] '03
- Jeep Wrangler Soft Top '03
- Land Rover Discovery II HSE 5-Door '03
- Land Rover Range Rover HSE '03

-> Some tests were also done in the US:

- Dodge Durango SLT '03

-> I don't know where are the pics at, but I'm sure its scattered around here in GTPlanet. (:

I had respect for the Ford SVT Lightning since it was one of the first trucks to actually show its strength as a performance truck. The ultimate truck for GT4 would have been the Dodge Ram SRT-10, the fastest truck on Mother Earth.

GT4 finally did great justice to the sport trucks in the world, however the Ram SRT-10 does weigh 500lbs more than the lightning and isn't much better in performance...consider these numbers:

.........................SRT-10........ vs......... SVT Lightning
0-60......................4.9........................5.1

1/4 Mile...............13.3 @ 106.9........13.6 @ 102.0

60-0..................124.9 ft...................122.9ft

skidpad................0.87.......................0.86

600-Ft Slalom.........61.9......................61.5

Track Lapping.........1:13.4 ...................1:13.9
(Wet Surface)

Base Price..............$45,000.................$32,615

That aside I do definetly want to see the first gen Lightning, even Sir Jackie Stewart had a hand in its design!!

Some info on the first gen Lightning and the 454 SS here

http://www.stangbangers.com/93_LightningVsChevy454SS_Article.htm

i think any vehicle pd can get their hands on should make it into the game, gran turismo simply means grand drive or grand tour and has nothing to do with the kind of car used, many cars today are labeled as gt that have nothing to do with the actualy grand touring moniker that belongs on ferarris and such, GNXs idea is actually kind of cool as well, since there is already tt it wouldnt be too bad of an idea to have a slightly smaller than GT, off road game even with a different name. i sould still like to see at least a few more trucks in gran turismo 5. with the right tuning my lightning handles just as well as the larger cars in the game.

My only recommendation for pickup trucks is that you let down the tailgate. Otherwise, the rear-end downforce in a regular pickup just slows you down in the back. Either let the tailgate down, or much like selecting wings for cars, maybe look for a suitable camper or truck bed cover to improve rear-end downforce at speed.

Don't mean to necro-post but this is a great misconception. First of all chassis rigidity is comprimised by having the tailgate down.Anyway, they actually performed drag tests on pickups with the tailgate both up and down, and found that drag was actually LOWER with the tailgate CLOSED! This ran counter to their intuition (and yours). The reason is that a closed tailgate sets up a large "bubble" of stagnant air that slowly circulates around the bed of the truck (we aero types call this a "separated bubble"). When air approaches the truck, it "sees" the bubble as part of the truck. So to the air, the truck looks like it has a nice, flat covering over the bed, and the air doesn't "slam" into the vertical tailgate. If the tailgate is open, or replaced by one of those "air gate" nets, however, that nice, separate bubble in the truck bed does not form (it "bursts"). Then the air approaching the truck "sees" a truck with a flat bed on the back of a tall cab. This is a very nonaerodynamic shape with a very LARGE drag. Now having fun during an auto-x event I went on to test out this very experiment, tailgate up my time was 43.14 instilling fear in all things orange.....With the tailgate down I the truck felt less rigid and the rear felt more loose as well allowing me to turn out a 45.01 around the cones. The best combination is with a tonneau cover on the truck with the tailgate up giving me 42.86 around the track...As you mentioned earlier a spoiler on the truck with a hard tonneau cover does work best like so:
163_0308_03l+2004_ford_svt_lightning+concept_rear_side_view.jpg

img_1045.jpg

If anyone has ever driven a big f-250 with the 6.0l powerstroke diesel you know the civic next to you with the fartcan and engine thats revving so loudly is about to eat your dust and you smile because he thinks is little car is the fastest thing at the lights and then you crush his littleworld.:)

Three letters for you - HSV. If you want a tank that will smoke anythilng from a start, you shoulld hope for one of them in GTHD

I agree with Badsight insofar as the overabundance of Lancers and other models, as well as the need for more 50s, 60s and 70s cars. Especially American cars. America has always been seriously underrepresented in this series. With all the aforementioned Skylines, Imprezas, and Lancers, there should be many more Camaros and Mustangs. As for the trucks, why the hell not. And not just performance ones, like the GMC Syclone and TrailBlazer SS (which has been strangely absent from this thread thus far). Regular pickups and SUVs would be appreciated as well, by many who drive them in real life. The transfer case could be adjusted before races (or events), and there could be special competitions for trucks, like towing contests and offroading events. I'd love to see a '95 Suburban 4x4 in GT5.

I'd rather see PD put in 50 new trucks/MPV/SUVetc. than see them put in 50 Skylines that are not that different from the other. Don't get me wrong I'm a sucker for an R34 Skyline but it's like Forza Motorsport, you just get bored with it after a while.

I feel that trucks/MPV/SUVetc. are underestamated. There are only two things that hold them back and that is handling, and weight. As for the handling, the Silverado SS handels better than a '69 Camaro, but I don't hear anyone complaining about the Camaro. And for the weight you could try and get some kind of weight reduction.

Three weeks back my old man smoked these two kids in a light to light race in this I guess you could say "tricked out" 2000 Mercury Cougar with a 2.5 V6. And just guess what he was driving? His 2005 F-250 Super Cab Super Duty shortbed with the 6.0L Diesel...(Props to Saber123)

This is something new, and with a new change there is always gonna be it's supporters and it's opposition. And while I am a supporter this point still stands, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T DRIVE IT!!!💡

Most of you know that I'm not overly critical of too many Skylines and such. While there are an entire mess of them, at least it's not "Gran Turismo Skyline." They could make their own Skyline-focused game. I usually like to think that while America doesn't have too much representation, at least they aren't neglected. I would probably want to see as much diversity of cars like most of the Japanese companies featured. Like for every Mustang or Camaro, maybe something a little less powerful. Like say, the Fusion or the Cobalt. But this isn't as bad as people think it is.

Now back on topic with a variety of recent trucks and SUVs that may be interesting to see and race in GT5.

I saw the latest Tundra at the Houston Auto Show last week. It looks very musclar and capable. * Their rivals at Nissan have the Frontier and the Titan. I really think PD learns from Enthusia and pick up that Nissan Dakar pickup truck if they can. That is a nimble truck even though most Dakar machines are quite heavy. * Speaking of SUVs and trucks in Dakar, Mitsubishi's Pajero Evolution and the Volkswagen Touareg should be featured. Mitsubishi has never lost the championship in the Car class since 2001. S. Peterhansel is pretty much proving to be king of the Dakar Rally. He retains his throne after a stellar performance even when it looked like Volkswagen was going to end Mitsubishi's reign of dominance. If GT5 features both of these Dakar machines, it would spark the latest Dakar rivalry. * Land Rover has some potent SUVs in their lineup as well. The 2007 lineup I have in this brochure feature the Land Rover LR3 and the handsome Land Rover LR2. In the future, Land Rover will feature the Range Rover HSE, Range Rover Supercharged, Range Rover Sport HSE, and the Range Rover Sport Supercharged. * The BMW X5 and X3 would be great BMW models to feature.

Back to Mitsubishi. Remember the Raider? Here were two pictures I took of two different Raiders:

picture124js4.jpg

^ This was the Raider that competed in the Baja 1000. It won the race, if I'm not mistaken.

picture125sp2.jpg

^ This is known as the "Street Raider" Concept. I probably think this would be interesting for road racing whether or not such a thing gets created.

Carry on, boys and girls!

^ I like the "better looking than Dakota" Raider, and that Baja tuck looks decent. I'd like to see this racetruck go head-to-head with this:

L200 Evolution racetruck [Plain Body]

-> And that Street Raider Concept, its a good match-up to the Ford Explorer Sport Trac Adranaline Concept. (:

-> But I like these two Mitsu trucks in GT5:

Mitsubishi L200 Evolution:
Mitsubishi_L200_Evolution_640.jpg

Mitsubishi L200 Warrior:
new_L200.jpg

(:

I honestly think that the only place trucks have in Gran Turismo is if there was an FIA Supertruck style racing series. Other than that trucks really don't have much of a place. Although if everyone gets their way, and we have all these different series, what makes GT different from Toca?

Back