GT6 Customizability

• Thread starter MrSwagg
  • 177 comments
Im more focused on visuals for cars tho... Gt5 has nothing but paint. How bout body kits, all other games have some type of cosmetic customization. Body kits at the least

If they go that route they might as well up the number of RM/TC cars, those are the only aero kits that serve a performance purpose.

I don't want to start a flame war, but I've been looking on the Forza web site at the different race liveries that people have made, and most are awesome. And being able to share them with others or sell them for credits, to me is an awesome idea. Most of us would never be able to make a livery like that, but there are talented people that can and most are free or 1000 credits. It cost more than that to paint a car a solid color in GT5.

Again, not trying to come across wrong, but I like the way that its done in that game. It wouldn't be a bad idea IMO to implement something similar.

Alot of people say that GT5 shouldn't copy the competition, but if all companies thought like that, we'd live in a very "flat" world. Mercedes invented the first independant suspension, the first crumple zones, ESP, ABS, attention assist, etc. Should other competitors not copy or try to improve upon great ideas?

GasolineJunkie
Alot of people say that GT5 shouldn't copy the competition, but if all companies thought like that, we'd live in a very "flat" world. Mercedes invented the first independant suspension, the first crumple zones, ESP, ABS, attention assist, etc. Should other competitors not copy or try to improve upon great ideas?

Exactly.

Competition is what pushes people to do better and improve. Which is why I don't understand why people want GT to be stuck in its own little world. As someone said earlier, GT needs to catch up in order to stay relevant. I doubt it will remain successful if so much focus is put into simply driving cars and nothing else is improved.

Really, out of the millions of purchases of GT5, how many really bought it because they wanted to experience realistic car physics on console? Judging by the online rooms in GT5 filled with racing soft lobbies and dirty rooms, I think it's safe to say that these people are in the minority.

Last edited:
To add to that Henry Ford who introduced assembly line production to the auto industry said, "They can have it in any color they want...as long as its black." It made production faster and cheaper but the public wanted more and his competition delivered forcing Ford to play catch up.

Just because something doesn't have an immediate impact on the actual performance of a car doesn't mean its not important or something the customer wants. If you fail to deliver options the customers want then you'll lose them to your competition.

Wasn't GT the Real Driving Simulator? Where the idea was to allow driving all sorts of road cars in the confort of your home, with accurate physics?

When did it change to the Real Racing Simulator? Must have missed that...

Honestly, I couldn't care less about putting stickers in cars and changing engines, all for showing off unrealistic cars online.

If GT goes down that path, it will just turn into every other racing game.

And that's just sad.

NOPE.
And stop trolling.

Not every other racing game have optimized Livery Editors and you don't HAVE TO put stickers in your cars if you don't want to.

To add to that Henry Ford who introduced assembly line production to the auto industry said, "They can have it in any color they want...as long as its black." It made production faster and cheaper but the public wanted more and his competition delivered forcing Ford to play catch up.

Just because something doesn't have an immediate impact on the actual performance of a car doesn't mean its not important or something the customer wants. If you fail to deliver options the customers want then you'll lose them to your competition.

Excellent point. To touch on that, I waited an extra 2 1/2 weeks for my car to come into port just so I can get the exact exterior and interior color combination that I wanted.

more wheel options and a livery editor is a must or pd will get left behind, forza copied gt and added an le and more customization options. if pd embraces car culture they would know customization is the heart of the culture.

MuoNiuLa
Exactly.

Competition is what pushes people to do better and improve. Which is why I don't understand why people want GT to be stuck in its own little world. As someone said earlier, GT needs to catch up in order to stay relevant. I doubt it will remain successful if so much focus is put into simply driving cars and nothing else is improved.

Really, out of the millions of purchases of GT5, how many really bought it because they wanted to experience realistic car physics on console? Judging by the online rooms in GT5 filled with racing soft lobbies and dirty rooms, I think it's safe to say that these people are in the minority.

Excellent point, it seems that GT5 is just... GT5. They dont have anything spectacular, and they need to do so much more with the game... Besides make a thousand "standard" model cars.

Excellent point, it seems that GT5 is just... GT5. They dont have anything spectacular, and they need to do so much more with the game... Besides make a thousand "standard" model cars.

GT5 might just seem GT5 in your opinion but it's way bigger than that to me and many others. I want customization to be in GT5/GT6 just as bad as the next guy but some of these comments in here are juvenile in my opinion. Like you saying all they did was make a thousand standard :rolleyes: Really?....

Should have ellaborated on the racing part.

Sure, it's there, but my point is, it's not what the game is about, in it's core. It's just a plus.

The main idea is to take any car you can drive/own with a regular drivers' license (and the money) and put it in the hands of the player, so he can actually experience what it would be like to drive said car, to its limits if wanted, in a closed circuit environment. Race cars just expand the concept, and should be considered the exception, rather than the rule. The plus.

With this in mind, things like appearance editors and and advanced tuning options drift away from the basic concept of the game, as they remove the "stock" feel of cars.

Granted, "unrealistic" was an improper word to use, since obviously you "can" do that to cars, my point is that those things are just not relevant, given the nature of the game. (Although I never heard of anyone that changed the engine on a car, unless it was broken. I guess it's an American thing?)

To sum it up:

The point of the game is to drive a real car, not caring what it looks like on the outside (since I'd be inside it anyways), nor what I could do to it tuning wise. If I want a different drive, I'll just pick another car, and see how that goes.

This is, for me, what makes GT different from other "car" games, and why I play it instead of those. Other games just make me sad.

Thanks.

About the tuning, I should have (again) ellaborated on the "advanced" part.

I don't see anything wrong about fine tuning the cars, as long as it's something that could be done by your local mechanic or the manufacturer's representative. Or even "stock" tuned cars, for that matter. Just not turning cars into spaceships or 1000 hp monsters.

Problem is, tuning in GT5 isn't really tuning, it's just a means to "fool" the game engine into allowing you to do things with the cars that you couldn't otherwise.

I've no problem with the way people play the game, to each his own, doesn't bother me.

I'm worried about what people want the next game to be. That would bother me.

It only bothers me because the resources that would be spent on making such changes could be spent on more important things, like more cars, tracks, events, game modes and game engine tweaks.

Tuning and appearance shouldn't be a priority, but by all means, if PD would find themselves with nothing else to work on, more content, whichever the nature, is always welcomed, as it makes the game more appealing to a broader audience.

NOPE.
And stop trolling.

Not every other racing game have optimized Livery Editors and you don't HAVE TO put stickers in your cars if you don't want to.

Next time make sure to read the entire thread before accusing people of trolling.

And maybe try to contribute some actual arguments to the discussion.

Who's the troll now?

Next time make sure to read the entire thread before accusing people of trolling.

Who's the troll now?

I am sorry for the juvenile behavior in this thread, but I agree with your quoted post.

NOPE.
And stop trolling.

If i ate some Alphahabet soup, i could **** a better argument than that.

I am sorry for the juvenile behavior in this thread, but I agree with your quoted post.

Thanks.

I don't expect people to agree with me, but I am worried the GT series end up being like every other game if PD "gives up" its unique game concept in order to cater to a broader audience.

Like I said before, if somehow they could keep and enhance the GT core features, while adding new content to the game, everybody would be happy.

But that's not easy.

I knew I was going to buy GT5, because I knew it was going to be Gran Turismo ^^^. By that I mean I know what I'm going to play, and I know what the "storyline" is going to be. I knew the ending, too.

If i ate some Alphahabet soup, i could **** a better argument than that.

hahaahaha

GT5 might just seem GT5 in your opinion but it's way bigger than that to me and many others. I want customization to be in GT5/GT6 just as bad as the next guy but some of these comments in here are juvenile in my opinion. Like you saying all they did was make a thousand standard :rolleyes: Really?....
That's where preference comes into play. I can name off so many things in GT5 that are spectacular TO ME. One spectacular thing, but not my favorite, is the Course Maker. Another one is the ability to set how wet the surface is on Rain tracks. It was completely unexpected TO ME, and it came in Spec 2, which some people say didn't bring anything "new", or it didn't have anything that they thought was significant TO THEM like the physics improvement APPARENTLY.

I knew I was going to buy GT5, because I knew it was going to be Gran Turismo ^^^. By that I mean I know what I'm going to play, and I know what the "storyline" is going to be.

hahaahaha

That's where preference comes into play. I can name off so many things in GT5 that are spectacular TO ME. One spectacular thing, but not my favorite, is the Course Maker. Another one is the ability to set how wet the surface is on Rain tracks. It was completely unexpected TO ME, and it came in Spec 2, which some people say didn't bring anything "new", or it didn't have anything that they thought was significant TO THEM like the physics improvement APPARENTLY.
Cant agree more dude, and I know what people mean with the customization's in GT5 need to be better I agree with them. What I dislike is when people start taking arguments out of proportion like in this thread. Another thing is KAZ knows we want this livery editor. He had it as one of the feature he wants in the GT series that and license plate editor. I will let things play out so I don't have to take a foot out my mouth when the goodies start dropping. There is always a bigger picture folks so if things are not going the way YOU want then to go honestly just relax and have patience we are to old to be acting like this.

Edit: Jak I really wish we got some more track creator themes. I want a night mountain pass looking theme so bad!!! I also wish they would lets us add more option to the track EX bumpiness.

Last edited:
Wasn't GT the Real Driving Simulator? Where the idea was to allow driving all sorts of road cars in the confort of your home, with accurate physics?

When did it change to the Real Racing Simulator? Must have missed that...

Honestly, I couldn't care less about putting stickers in cars and changing engines, all for showing off unrealistic cars online.

If GT goes down that path, it will just turn into every other racing game.

And that's just sad.

Fun fact, driving is a blanket term. In reality, Gran Turismo is most akin to being a track day simulator. You take your car, might it be tuned, stock, having a livery on it or some massive body kit and you track it. This is what Gran Turismo should try to achieve, is ability not just to take stock cars around race tracks with a decent physics engine, but to allow the player to tune their car possibly as close to the spec of their real track car or one they plan to build. Want a Spoon Fastback and a Supercharger on your S2000? You should easily be able to do that. Want to drive a GT3 MP4-12C around Tokyo? You should be able to do that as well.

Honestly, what I want to see most of all from PD is balancing. I'd like to see the RM feature be used to create specific race spec cars to compete in series based around special rule sets. Might these be like GT1, GT3, or even Group N race spec cars. But this should also extend to street cars as well. I can get functional wide body kits for cars, I can use different kinds of forced induction.

What I honestly believe in Gran Turismo should try to become more like a Track Day Simulator. Given that's what it already is.

Fun fact, driving is a blanket term. In reality, Gran Turismo is most akin to being a track day simulator. You take your car, might it be tuned, stock, having a livery on it or some massive body kit and you track it. This is what Gran Turismo should try to achieve, is ability not just to take stock cars around race tracks with a decent physics engine, but to allow the player to tune their car possibly as close to the spec of their real track car or one they plan to build. Want a Spoon Fastback and a Supercharger on your S2000? You should easily be able to do that. Want to drive a GT3 MP4-12C around Tokyo? You should be able to do that as well.

Honestly, what I want to see most of all from PD is balancing. I'd like to see the RM feature be used to create specific race spec cars to compete in series based around special rule sets. Might these be like GT1, GT3, or even Group N race spec cars. But this should also extend to street cars as well. I can get functional wide body kits for cars, I can use different kinds of forced induction.

What I honestly believe in Gran Turismo should try to become more like a Track Day Simulator. Given that's what it already is.

I want to believe that the only reason GT isn't an open road driving game is because PD felt like that would send a wrong message (in terms of promoting street racing), and, if so, they were probably right.

Seeing as that's out of the picture, the Track Day simulation you described (with an emphasis on stock road cars) became the next best thing and they built from there.

That being said, while advanced customization would no doubt add value to the game, since stock road cars were the starting point, I'd think it would make more sense, considering the nature of the game, to give priority to having a wider range of cars (and turning all those standards into premiums) before working on a realistic customization system.

I want to believe that the only reason GT isn't an open road driving game is because PD felt like that would send a wrong message (in terms of promoting street racing), and, if so, they were probably right.

Seeing as that's out of the picture, the Track Day simulation you described (with an emphasis on stock road cars) became the next best thing and they built from there.

That being said, while advanced customization would no doubt add value to the game, since stock road cars were the starting point, I'd think it would make more sense, considering the nature of the game, to give priority to having a wider range of cars (and turning all those standards into premiums) before working on a realistic customization system.

See, I'm the other way around. I'd rather see more options for the current range of Premium cars in the realm of racing modifications. But what I want would be for the racing spec car to be made from the street car. I want to be able to build a track day LFA, or maybe even a GT4 spec race car. I want to have these options because I think they'd greatly enhance the online portion of the game. But to be honest, I have a great love of purpose built track cars, not just ones from the factory, but also ones built by people. That's the sort of customization I think Gran Turismo could really benefit from.

Though, to comment on the first part. If it was a open world driving sim it'd pretty much be TDU or Midnight Club, unless it enforced speed limits. Then it'd pretty much be one of those student driving simulators. Honestly, Gran Turismo is where it wants to be. They just need to expand beyond having a large car selection.

See, I'm the other way around. I'd rather see more options for the current range of Premium cars in the realm of racing modifications. But what I want would be for the racing spec car to be made from the street car. I want to be able to build a track day LFA, or maybe even a GT4 spec race car. I want to have these options because I think they'd greatly enhance the online portion of the game. But to be honest, I have a great love of purpose built track cars, not just ones from the factory, but also ones built by people. That's the sort of customization I think Gran Turismo could really benefit from.

Though, to comment on the first part. If it was a open world driving sim it'd pretty much be TDU or Midnight Club, unless it enforced speed limits. Then it'd pretty much be one of those student driving simulators. Honestly, Gran Turismo is where it wants to be. They just need to expand beyond having a large car selection.

I can understand your preference, I myself have duplicates of my favourite road cars just for racing/tuning purposes.

And yes, if GT were to be just an open world driving sim it would probably get really old really fast.

But I must say that my gaming wet dream would be a merge of TDU and GT (with GT's engine, of course). Open world AND closed circuit driving, with every road car I could think of. :drool:

Then I'd throw in Race Cars and realistic tuning and customization just to keep everyone happy. :D

Last edited:
Next time make sure to read previous threads about the same argument. FYI It's about 2 years we talk about livery editors and customization in here.
Several times was proven in this forum that a good livery editor is a great feature. And several times was adressed the ridiculous complaint "Livery Editor = need for speed = not realistic/driving simulator".
Who's the troll now?

YOU. Go use that freaking search button, seriously.

What gt6 should have:
-more customisation than gt5
-not too much to make it arcady
-the ability to widen the tracks on certain cars
-customizable interiors to include racing features
-the lightening of a car will visually change it
-Bigger diffusers =P

Detachable parts on impact with a wall or another car. Nothing like high flying into a wall at 170mph and driving off with no damage.

The damage model from RACE 07 is brilliant. Please implement it.

Next time make sure to read previous threads about the same argument. FYI It's about 2 years we talk about livery editors and customization in here.

Several times was proven in this forum that a good livery editor is a great feature. And several times was adressed the ridiculous complaint "Livery Editor = need for speed = not realistic/driving simulator".

YOU. Go use that freaking search button, seriously.

Are you seriously criticising me for posting an on-topic reply on an EXISTING thread and not using the search button????

:lol:

If anything, it's the people that keep posting new threads asking for more customization (and all wishlists in general) that are breaking forum rules...

Also, the fact that people have been asking for it for a long time has no influence on my opinion. I still think there are more important things to do with the game.

Cheers

Last edited:
I can understand your preference, I myself have duplicates of my favourite road cars just for racing/tuning purposes.

And yes, if GT were to be just an open world driving sim it would probably get really old really fast.

But I must say that my gaming wet dream would be a merge of TDU and GT (with GT's engine, of course). Open world AND closed circuit driving, with every road car I could think of. :drool:

Then I'd throw in Race Cars and realistic runing and customization just to keep everyone happy. :D
I COMPLETELY agree.

That last bit too. :)

Are you seriously criticising me for posting an on-topic reply on an EXISTING thread and not using the search button????

:lol:

If anything, it's the people that keep posting new threads asking for more customization (and all wishlists in general) that are breaking forum rules...

Also, the fact that people have been asking for it for a long time has no influence on my opinion. I still think there are more important things to do with the game.

Cheers

Le thread appear for the lazy ass. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6794221#post6794221

Le point you are failing to understand.
A livery editor / decal editor, in addition to being able to paint individual body parts of the cars, would be fantastic, and for people to think it should be limited in scope to simply race cars is silly. An editor could take care of such simple things as license plates, or small company logos along the side skirts, or behind the front wheels. You know, common practice on modified street cars. And has been mentioned countless times before, a simple "Disable custom liveries" check box in the Options menu could keep those insistent on identi-cars happy.

Gran Turismo need to be a leader, not a follower, and not become like other street racing games. It should stay true to its roots as a racing simulator.

It can't lead by standing still. If it doesn't add features, it's not going anywhere, and getting left behind by franchises with more life in them. GT games still sell well on account of their loyal and large fanbase, but the series is creeping down the road to irrelevance, and if the other guys (namely Forza) keep improving in every way while GT just stands still, another handful of years down the road the series just won't matter any longer. As it stands, the franchises isn't leading anything anywhere. Nobody points to GT5 and says, "Look at these neat things it did. I'd like to see that in this other game."

(Please forgive me for not reading the whole thread).

If GT6 had the option to do engine swaps for a car of the same engine, it would mean we would have Lotus Elises with X2010 engines.

Biobunny
(Please forgive me for not reading the whole thread).

If GT6 had the option to do engine swaps for a car of the same engine, it would mean we would have Lotus Elises with X2010 engines.

Not if they dropped fantasy cars.

Latest Posts

Back