GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,707 comments
A is kinda fun. Got a couple wins there yesterday. I can see the novelty wearing off quick, though. Dragon Trail has gone from kinda fun, to a little annoying, to just not fun due to the COD. Even if you get the line perfect and slice through the walls, the curbs will still throw the car around like a rag doll. Only way I've found to purely mitigate it is go slow but then you're not competitive.

I think this will be a very slow week for me, which is fine as I have some God of War to be catching up on.

5d99675ac7d009aff4b87999d18c6883_photo.webp

a673a816c87c6eee52e760a87c15668a_photo.webp

I've done about 5 Daily B today and here's what I've figured out:

I have a B Drivers Rating and an S Safety Rating. I have been punted on Lap 1 in every race today with other B/S or B/A players. I have then been punted again on Lap 1 once we get to the chicane.

I have a LOT of SR I can burn and I'm about to. I am not fast enough to achieve an A Driver Rating, which means I have all the points from S down to B Safety Rating to burn in paybacks, preemptive punts because what's the point, and revenge punts for people who've hit me before.

Someone talk me off this ledge before I go on a rampage and forget what trigger the brake button is.......
3 more races, 3 more Lap 1 punts. Now I'm wondering if I'm the problem. Do I brake too early? Do I have "Please Punterino" written on the back of my car?
I've been trying to find the right words to say this, without it sounding like I'm blaming you for someone else's actions, and I'm failing. So let me try an analogy:

A candle flame can burn you, if you leave your hand over it too long. But it can't burn you if you get your hand through it quickly. So maybe you can try to avoid being in situations where someone would want to punt you, or else get through them more quickly?

Crap, that's still not sounding right. I hope you can read between my inept words and get something out of this. Or not. What do I know???

Look 5 posts above at my YT video, I'm Malta-Saab in the game 🤪
So question is, are you in Malta and you drive a Saab or is your last name Saab?
I'm no expert, not at all, but I put the blame on you (in a kind and inoffensive way, of course). He was ahead of you and everyone on that turn gravitates to the curb, so in essence you pitted him.
That was my gut reaction but the other guy had a ton of room on the inside and took a wide line trying to cover his error.
Gr4 sucks. Jesus Christ one race in and a total WRX/Alfa snooze fest.
zjn
In the second race with a Beettle,

However....
I don't like Supra here. Too much understeer, and little bit more of a braking distance if I compare to the Beetle.
Probably someone good can squeeze out more from the Supra, but I feel the Beetle more foregiving here and more stick to the racing line.

The only bit of track where Supra handles better (at least in my hands) is the chicane of death.
Supra: just lift when the out curb before the left-right occours
I considered doing race C this week but didn't want to deal with nursing an understeering AWD car on used rubber all race. They really should mandate a FR Group 4 race if they cannot fix the BOP.

In GTS I used to use the Beetle at Seaside, it lacked top end but scooched through the COD like nothing else. Now though, with the light switch TCS, i can't use it for fear of losing the rear. The big advantage the SUpra has is it is way, way more composed over the kerbs than other cars, there's nothing even close. Turns 2/3 and the COD it settles so much faster and you can use more kerb than other cars.
I don't understand. There's no AC level? Why do I remember it? 🤔
Yeah you can't be DR-A and SR-C...... your DR will drop to B, is what it is.
A is kinda fun. Got a couple wins there yesterday. I can see the novelty wearing off quick, though. Dragon Trail has gone from kinda fun, to a little annoying, to just not fun due to the COD. Even if you get the line perfect and slice through the walls, the curbs will still throw the car around like a rag doll. Only way I've found to purely mitigate it is go slow but then you're not competitive.
COD feels that bit tighter than it did on GTS, or maybe it's the cars all being that bit looser so you're a bit edgy over the kerbs? I dunno, it doesn't feel like the same track. Even that fast kink, the right hander before Larini, used to be flat out no question, now i'm edgy.

Anyways, I tried a few cars last night and as usual for me, nothing came close to the Supra which I got down to a 36.8. If one wants to try something different the FT-1 has potential and I got the Z4 into the mid 37's with a lot more in it. The Lancer hates the kerbs, doesn't work at all.

Did two races and both ruined by small touched of the wall costing me a HUGE amount of penalty time, it's a really weird race, more about being clean than actual racing imho.

I’ve found this, but I’m not sure how true all of it is….

https://diamondlobby.com/gran-turismo-7/how-to-increase-your-sport-mode-ratings/
Thanks, I think I read that article some time ago. If that's how it works to improve DR it's almost an impossible task if you start at the very bottom of the grid and that's the best you can do with your skills. Only if most of the players crash and lose their position.
Well that explains everything.

So question is, are you in Malta and you drive a Saab or is your last name Saab? That was my gut reaction but the other guy had a ton of room on the inside and took a wide line trying to cover his error.
Bingo! I live in Malta and drive a 93 Aero V6 (2006) which I have personally built to around 520 whp :) 6-speed manual, of course!

And yes, I felt he had more than a car's width to his right, rather than try and force me onto the grass after he jeopardized his race by making contact with another driver.

Last edited:
Was I at fault here? I would call it a first lap incident but if he kept the car straight and in the middle of the track (instead of pushing me out) it would have been a clean overtake from me and everyone could have gone on with the race...
Not your fault. You could have avoided it by lifting off the throttle, but how could you have known that the other guy wasn't gonna recognize your right to be on the track.
If you have any bit of overlap, he should allow room for you. Obviously, you did have overlap, or there would've been no contact when he continued moving to the left. I would've have done the same thing as you, without compunction. 👍
B is such a fun combo but it being 4 laps takes the wind out your sails something fierce. You have an awesome few laps, and then oh - it's over and you're waiting 11 minutes for the next one.

Whose idea was that!? Barely any motivation to do the races when I'm waiting for longer than I'm driving. It just makes me want to play something else.
Go do the Daytona truck race while you wait. It's an easy 45k in 5 minutes. :)

Four races A, enough for one week.

It's an advantage of race A that you can be a bit naughty, if necessary, without ruining someone's ratings. Or your own, for that matter.

My q time is a 54:1, which is not too bad. So I started several races on pole, but was not able to get a win.
Once I got through the first hairpin untouched, built a gap, but was later caught by an A+ driver who was able to consistently drive with qualifying pace. I was not, so he got me. Unnecessarily he passed me via divebomb (he would have gotten me anyway), but whatever, we were 10 seconds ahead of the rest of the field, so it didn't matter.
Next race in T1 someone from way behind used the top three cars as his brake, and from then on I was caught in the mayhem. Was punted back to P9 and fought my way back for a podium finish. And that was when the bad person in me suddenly appeared...😆 One italian driver had punted me three times, and I needed some luck to stay on track and not lose half a dozen positions. And then I returned the favour in the banked right hander. He was slower, I took the inside, he went for contact again to not let me pass, and suddenly my car felt the urge to drift to the outside edge of the track. Don't know how that happened.🤣

Once again, that felt better than it should have.😇

Last edited:
So question is, are you in Malta and you drive a Saab or is your last name Saab?

That was my gut reaction but the other guy had a ton of room on the inside and took a wide line trying to cover his error.

I considered doing race C this week but didn't want to deal with nursing an understeering AWD car on used rubber all race. They really should mandate a FR Group 4 race if they cannot fix the BOP.

In GTS I used to use the Beetle at Seaside, it lacked top end but scooched through the COD like nothing else. Now though, with the light switch TCS, i can't use it for fear of losing the rear. The big advantage the SUpra has is it is way, way more composed over the kerbs than other cars, there's nothing even close. Turns 2/3 and the COD it settles so much faster and you can use more kerb than other cars.

COD feels that bit tighter than it did on GTS, or maybe it's the cars all being that bit looser so you're a bit edgy over the kerbs? I dunno, it doesn't feel like the same track. Even that fast kink, the right hander before Larini, used to be flat out no question, now i'm edgy.

Anyways, I tried a few cars last night and as usual for me, nothing came close to the Supra which I got down to a 36.8. If one wants to try something different the FT-1 has potential and I got the Z4 into the mid 37's with a lot more in it. The Lancer hates the kerbs, doesn't work at all.

Did two races and both ruined by small touched of the wall costing me a HUGE amount of penalty time, it's a really weird race, more about being clean than actual racing imho.
I agree about COD, some cars just feel more bouncy on the right side wall kerb than others. I've only tried 3 cars, but so far I felt most comfortable with Supra through COD, very similar pace compared to GT-R in terms of best lap (1.36.5s are my 3 best laps at Dt Seaside so far, 1 with GT-R).

But the GT-R is extremely iffy in COD, so I have actually managed very few sub 1.37 laps with it for that reason. Whereas with Supra I get comfortably under 1.37 on a good lap. Super Silhoutte is not as bad through the COD as the GT-R, but it is also 3-5 tenths slower in my hands.

Last edited:
Finally cracked a 1:37 in qualifying for Race B using the Porsche. I started in the WRX, too slow but cornered well. Then tried the Merc. Fast AF but cornering was challenging.
Swapped to the Ferrari and loved it. Fast, cornered well, but you had to be absolutely perfect through the sweepers and the COD to make your lap time and I had too many spins entering the sweepers to be fully comfortable, but was able to set a really low 1:38 in that car.

Then tried the Porsche and my first qualifying lap was the 1:37 so I kept running and while I didn't go any faster I definitely was more consistent.

Finally cracked a 1:37 in qualifying for Race B using the Porsche. I started in the WRX, too slow but cornered well. Then tried the Merc. Fast AF but cornering was challenging.
Swapped to the Ferrari and loved it. Fast, cornered well, but you had to be absolutely perfect through the sweepers and the COD to make your lap time and I had too many spins entering the sweepers to be fully comfortable, but was able to set a really low 1:38 in that car.

Then tried the Porsche and my first qualifying lap was the 1:37 so I kept running and while I didn't go any faster I definitely was more consistent.
Try the Supra. I'm faster with it than the Porsche.

I agree about COD, some cars just feel more bouncy on the right side wall kerb than others. I've only tried 3 cars, but so far I felt most comfortable with Supra through COD, very similar pace compared to GT-R in terms of best lap (1.36.5s are my 3 best laps at Dt Seaside so far, 1 with GT-R).
I've found the M6 GT3 Sprint Model '16 to be pretty stable and forgiving through the CoD, and it's up near the top on the Q leaderboard, so it can obviously be driven much faster than I'm driving it.

Try the Supra. I'm faster with it than the Porsche.
I'll give it a go! I find the Supra doesn't turn as well as the Porsche does and I'm running a controller in Automatic so using downshifts to help rotate is right out. I suppose I could learn manual but I'm not that interested :D

I'll give it a shot though, thank you!

So here's the formula for winning on Daily Race B:

1) Suck really bad in "B" lobbies.
2) Get knocked down to C-only lobbies.
3) Qualify with Pole Position.
4) Coast through the CoD in 4th gear while everyone behind you annihilates themselves and the walls.
5) Repeat 3-4 until back in "B" lobbies.
6) Go to #1.

sigh

3 more races, 3 more Lap 1 punts. Now I'm wondering if I'm the problem. Do I brake too early? Do I have "Please Punterino" written on the back of my car?
I think maybe in general you should brake less on that track. This week I'm driving it much faster than in the past and the main difference is that I find myself not braking nearly as much as I used to.
i found keeping it in the highest gear possible is much more stable.. (5th for the RCZ & Jag) 🤙🏼
zjn
The only bit of track where Supra handles better (at least in my hands) is the chicane of death.
Supra: just lift when the out curb before the left-right occours
Beetle: I need to brake a bit, lifting is not enough
I don't like it, touching the brake is more risky, but cannot avoid it

But the GT-R is extremely iffy in COD, so I have actually managed very few sub 1.37 laps with it for that reason. Whereas with Supra I get comfortably under 1.37 on a good lap. Super Silhoutte is not as bad through the COD as the GT-R, but it is also 3-5 tenths slower in my hands.

I'm having the best luck in the Porsche so far, but I'm experimenting with other cars tonight. For the CoD, like @Giz WCR-666 said, keep the car in the highest gear possible. Also, do not brake . . . at all. You may need to lift off depending on your comfort level, but if you can accelerate through the first half and get into 5th, then keep the accelerator on a bit to begin the second half and when you know you're set to clear the corners ACCELERATE out of it. It is terrifying the first few times, but if you can stomp on the gas before the curbs your car should settle down. At least the Porsche does. It stabilizes the car and it chops time off your lap.
Also not sure I'm fond of the barrier penalties in the CoD. Mess it up and get 1.5, this carries through to a bad exit and hitting the outside wall, 3 seconds (plus acceleration time at that part of the track) on top of what you lost from just hitting the barrier in the first place.

Its a bit harsh!

I'm really frustrated with these pin ball wall penalties. If you hit one wall you'll most likely hit the other one at least once, maybe more. If you get turned around then you hit the wall a couple more times trying to get pointed in the right direction. I had 9 seconds of a penalty last night! AND THEN you have to wait more than one entire lap to serve your penalty, which is ludicrous! I'm not sure what problem PD thinks they're solving with these wall penalties compared to all the other really (really) bad driving non-penalties. The damage from wall contact is bad enough and should be enough to dissuade wall riding, but other than that these penalties are a fix for something that's not a problem in the first place and they're only hurting people who are either struggling or are getting pushed into walls by non-penalized drivers. They're penalizing every good driving habit and reinforcing every single bad driving behavior in how they enforce penalties. It's so bad that some weeks (like Atlanta last week) I just have to quit the game.

Back